Forum Jump: 

post #5251 of 5271 Old 09-15-2014, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
I have this issue sometimes too running my AT&T cox through the player. A deliberate power on sequence can help.
Try powering on your other devices first, once they are fully powered on and booted,
then try turning on the pj after that. OR... do that in reverse and see if it helps.
When you power them all on at the same time, I think all the hdmi handshakes get crossed up somehow.
I will give both sequences a shot. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5252 of 5271 Old 09-15-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Well it looks like I will get to have the experience of shipping my unit back to Oppo for optical drive repair, or replacement.

DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Setup Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5253 of 5271 Old 09-15-2014, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChris View Post
Guys I'm thinking of an 103d basically for the darbee and for the hdmi in that the device has ... I really like a machine that will do a good upscale ... do I buy it or get a standalone darbee and a dvdo mini for the hdmi upscale?
Like many, I started with the Darblet, loved it, and later bought a 103D when my disc player needed replacement. On a do-over, I'd go direct to the 103D. Makes sense price wise, offers more optionality, and is more stable on handshake. Plus just such a well engineered and supported player that will play any disc this side of a frisbee. Everyone's needs, preferences, systems and budgets are different, but for me that's a borderline no brainer. I'd buy the 103D.
Smarty-pants, BlueChris and mecmec like this.
post #5254 of 5271 Old 09-15-2014, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
If I connect a Sony PS4 to an input HDMI will it able to be controlled using the OPPO remote?
Unlike the PS3 the PS4 has no remote.
I think both the PS4 and the OPPO are HDMI-CEC compliant?
post #5255 of 5271 Old 09-16-2014, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post
How about 3D support? I haven't checked yet.
To be honest... 3D (with glasses) is not something I'm interested in...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
post #5256 of 5271 Old 09-16-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasab View Post
If I connect a Sony PS4 to an input HDMI will it able to be controlled using the OPPO remote?
Nope. The Oppo remote is not a learning remote. There are some universal remotes that will control a PSx and other devices. That may be your best bet for unifying your remotes.

post #5257 of 5271 Old 09-16-2014, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
Nope. The Oppo remote is not a learning remote. There are some universal remotes that will control a PSx and other devices. That may be your best bet for unifying your remotes.
I think he is talking about CEC not the functions of a learning remote. CEC is a method in which commands are carried via the HDMI cable.
post #5258 of 5271 Old 09-16-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 80
CEC only sometimes works as advertised. In my experience, it causes more problems than solutions.
mecmec likes this.

post #5259 of 5271 Old 09-16-2014, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasab View Post
HDMI CEC is very limited in what it does. Even if the Oppo and PS4 CEC functions were compatible, allowing the Oppo to see the PS4 as a source device and the PS4 to see the Oppo as an audio system, the extent of control would be limited to...

1) When you turn the PS4 on, the Oppo and display would automatically power on (if previously off) and switch to the appropriate inputs so that the PS4 is displayed on the screen.
2) When you turn the display off, the Oppo and PS4 would automatically power off (if previously on).

CEC doesn't currently give you control over things like play, pause, stop, ff, rewind, skip, menu, or cursor navigation. For those sorts of things, you would need a bluetooth remote that is compatible with the PS4. AFAIK, the Dual Shock 4 controller is the only thing capable of controlling a PS4 at this time. Hopefully, Sony will release a standard bluetooth remote and/or give universal remote manufacturers the documentation needed to produce remotes that are compatible with it.

It's possible that the CEC extensions which are part of HDMI 2.0 could add the ability to issue these kinds of commands over HDMI. But, with both the PS4 and Oppo using HDMI 1.4 hardware, they still might not see these features added.
post #5260 of 5271 Old 09-16-2014, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thinking of buying an Oppo 103D, to connect to my Denon 4520 and Sony Bravia TV, is this player a worthy upgrade over a PS4 and Ps3? I am currently using PS4 to play my 3d Blurays, but i dont know how it would compare to the oppo.

I do listen to music regularly and have hear that the DAC in the denon isnt the best so I am also interested in a stereo perspective also.
post #5261 of 5271 Old 09-16-2014, 11:48 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
HDMI CEC is very limited in what it does. Even if the Oppo and PS4 CEC functions were compatible, allowing the Oppo to see the PS4 as a source device and the PS4 to see the Oppo as an audio system, the extent of control would be limited to...

1) When you turn the PS4 on, the Oppo and display would automatically power on (if previously off) and switch to the appropriate inputs so that the PS4 is displayed on the screen.
2) When you turn the display off, the Oppo and PS4 would automatically power off (if previously on).

CEC doesn't currently give you control over things like play, pause, stop, ff, rewind, skip, menu, or cursor navigation.
HDMI CEC in the general sense actually does allow for control over things like play, pause, stop, etc. Of course, that doesn't mean that every CEC implementation actually supports those functions and I have no idea what the PS4's CEC implementation supports. On the Oppo side, I believe the only CEC capabilities are on the Oppo's HDMI outputs and support powering on/off and making sure the AVR or display the Oppo is connected to go to the correct inputs. That's pretty much it at this point, the Oppo remote definitely can't be used to control any functionality on a PS4 that's attached to one of the HDMI inputs.

The only device the Oppo remote can also control is the MHL version of the Roku Streaming Stick attached to the Oppo's front HDMI input.
post #5262 of 5271 Old 09-16-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
HDMI CEC in the general sense actually does allow for control over things like play, pause, stop, etc. Of course, that doesn't mean that every CEC implementation actually supports those functions and I have no idea what the PS4's CEC implementation supports.
CEC is mess. It would be much easier if device manufacturers (mainly the surround sound amplifier manufacturers) offered us a dedicated list of all the available options that we could elect to enable or disable.

For example... I quite like that the ARC option offers me the ability to control the volume level of my surround sound amplifier using the TV remote. But I hate that my TV remote is given the ability to control over everything else, including switching everything off... If that makes sense!?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
post #5263 of 5271 Old 09-16-2014, 02:46 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
CEC is mess.
Absolutely. It's disabled on all of my gear.
mecmec likes this.
post #5264 of 5271 Old 09-16-2014, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sorry to ask what may have been covered, but when playing 1080p content content directly from the Oppo (Vudu, Blu Ray discs etc), is there ANY difference at all between the player outputting 1080p vs Source Direct? In what is likely my imagination, I feel like Source Direct has a touch more clarity while 1080p has a small amount more depth, but at the expesnse of some clarity. Am I insane? All picture settings/Darbee are set to zero etc.

Thanks!!
post #5265 of 5271 Old 09-16-2014, 08:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthkringle View Post
Sorry to ask what may have been covered, but when playing 1080p content content directly from the Oppo (Vudu, Blu Ray discs etc), is there ANY difference at all between the player outputting 1080p vs Source Direct? In what is likely my imagination, I feel like Source Direct has a touch more clarity while 1080p has a small amount more depth, but at the expesnse of some clarity. Am I insane? All picture settings/Darbee are set to zero etc.

Thanks!!
Even if there are no facts to support your impressions you can still pick the option that you like best.

Calibration Resources:

post #5266 of 5271 Old 09-16-2014, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthkringle View Post

Thanks!!

Source Direct bypasses both the Darbee and VRS ClearView video processors, so depending on what video settings you have set for your 1080p output, the differences could be substantial to nearly the same.
post #5267 of 5271 Old Yesterday, 05:12 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 866
^ Source Direct will also output 1080i/60 for Blu-ray discs recorded that way (typically live performances) and will output 1080p/24 for Blu-ray movies even if you have 1080p/24 Output set to OFF. Your Display may react differently to those than to 1080p/60.
--Bob
post #5268 of 5271 Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
QDEO vs. Mediatek/VRS

Hello!

First of all, sorry to bring this up again, but I have emailed Oppo and searched the threads here extensively.

It seems a small number of us are obsessed with concern over the possibility of "losing" performance when choosing the Darbee model.

I emailed Oppo about QDEO vs. Mediatek, in the context that I would be playing back regular DVDs.

The reply contained "Noise Reduction is better with the QDEO, but the image enhancement algorithms for contrast, sharpness and saturation through Darbee is superior. So it comes down to which is more important: removing noise or enhancing the image quality."

Again, the choice here is hard for me. I do have a number of DVDs but maybe "noise" is not going to be a factor anyway.

My request here is that this question could be made a sticky or added to the thread starter if I have some ideas correct here.

Some of the confusion resides in what the chips actually do, which has been covered in other posts, different ways.

103 vs. 103D features that relate to DVD playback:

upscaling to 1080: Mediatek on BOTH models
de-interlacing: Mediatek on BOTH models
upscaling to 4k: QDEO on 103, VRS on 103D
Noise reduction: QDEO on 103, VRS on 103D

Additionally, has anyone benchmarked performance on these specific features between these chips?

Some state that the QDEO NR on HDMI 1 is annoying, but maybe that's only because you can't toggle it on that input.

Looking for more facts than opinions if possible.

Thank you!!!
post #5269 of 5271 Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDA14 View Post
Looking for more facts than opinions if possible.

Thank you!!!
Welcome to AVSForum.

OPPO has a 30-day return on their players. All it costs you is shipping. In your case: there is no substitute for actual in-person testing with your own material.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #5270 of 5271 Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 131
^ You've got all the facts bro. Seems like you may be trying to over-think it. Get the 103D and be done with it.
mecmec likes this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #5271 of 5271 Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDA14 View Post
Some state that the QDEO NR on HDMI 1 is annoying, but maybe that's only because you can't toggle it on that input.
There is some default NR in the Qdeo that cannot be turned off - even in Source Direct mode. Some people do find that annoying and it's more visible on DVD content than on BD. However you do have HDMI-2 available which has none of that. Personally I tend to prefer HDMI-2 on the 103 for that reason. Some of that "noise" is actually image detail. Some DVD's are sharp enough that it doesn't matter much, but some are not.

The choice between the two players really should come down to a different question: whether you want Darbee or not. I think the Qdeo is over-rated as a VP chip, but the 103 has TWO outputs. The MTK chip is very good at scaling DVD.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com