Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 177 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5281 of 5310 Old 09-18-2014, 10:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 868
^ Yes, but you have to select your Darbee settings before launching Netflix. (The app provided to OPPO by Netflix seizes control of the User Interface, so you can't get to the Settings while Netflix is running.)

To prove it to yourself, set a ridiculously high Darbee processing value and also turn on either of the Demo modes for Darbee. Then launch Netflix. The portion of the screen to the left of the Demo divider line will be the processed portion.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5282 of 5310 Old 09-18-2014, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Yes, but you have to select your Darbee settings before launching Netflix. (The app provided to OPPO by Netflix seizes control of the User Interface, so you can't get to the Settings while Netflix is running.)

To prove it to yourself, set a ridiculously high Darbee processing value and also turn on either of the Demo modes for Darbee. Then launch Netflix. The portion of the screen to the left of the Demo divider line will be the processed portion.
--Bob
Thanks Bob you rock!!!

So are you saying that the Darbee button should work at the main home menu splash page?

When/where should the Darbee button work? Thanks again!

Last edited by PlayNice; 09-18-2014 at 10:14 PM.
post #5283 of 5310 Old 09-18-2014, 10:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 133
^Yes, the Darbee button/popup/settings should be easily visible when the Oppo home screen showing.
Set your Darbee settings at that time, then launch the Netflix app, and while Netflix is playing your Darbee settings will be in effect.
You won't be able to change them again though until you exit Netflix.
The Netflix app does not allow you to make any type of changes to the player while it is engaged.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #5284 of 5310 Old 09-19-2014, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^Yes, the Darbee button/popup/settings should be easily visible when the Oppo home screen showing.
Set your Darbee settings at that time, then launch the Netflix app, and while Netflix is playing your Darbee settings will be in effect.
You won't be able to change them again though until you exit Netflix.
The Netflix app does not allow you to make any type of changes to the player while it is engaged.
Thank, now I get it.
post #5285 of 5310 Old 09-19-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Where would I find "Bookmark" information in the 103D manual?

While watching a Blu-ray I pressed the green color button on the remote and a display came up saying I have too many bookmarks and to please delete them... Need to find information on specifics. Thanks.

post #5286 of 5310 Old 09-19-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

While watching a Blu-ray I pressed the green color button on the remote and a display came up saying I have too many bookmarks and to please delete them... Need to find information on specifics. Thanks.

post #5287 of 5310 Old 09-19-2014, 05:01 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 349
That sounds like disc programming, not a player function. At least I've never heard of it before.

Presumably you can free up space by erasing persistent storage, but that deletes you existing information.

-Bill
Paul H likes this.

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #5288 of 5310 Old 09-20-2014, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
audio video dropouts

Hi
Is anyone experiencing audio and video dropouts when watching 3D content?

Thank you,
Rob
post #5289 of 5310 Old 09-20-2014, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDec View Post
Hi

Thank you,
Rob
Just watched Godzilla 3D and then Pacific Rim 3D and none.
post #5290 of 5310 Old 09-21-2014, 12:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Hi

Thank you,
Rob
You need to provide more detail like how long are the dropouts, how is your setup wired, and what settings are you using.

More than likely you are experiencing excessive hand shakes due to your cables and/or settings.

Calibration Resources:

post #5291 of 5310 Old 09-21-2014, 05:30 AM

Liked: 10
Beta Test Release vs last official release

Which one should I install?The beta or the last official release?Thanks
post #5292 of 5310 Old 09-21-2014, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristisabo View Post
I trust OPPO so I always do the BETA - but if you are having no problems nothing wrong with waiting for the official release.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #5293 of 5310 Old 09-21-2014, 09:16 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

"Bookmarks" for Blu-ray are not a player function. They are implemented by the BD-Java program which is part of the content on the Blu-ray disc -- which is why many discs don't have them at all. (Some discs don't even have a BD-Java program to begin with.) To manage your Bookmarks for a disc you need to go to its own, on-disc menus and find the Bookmarks stuff there. The studios can program this any way they want, so there's no standardization for how this is done across different discs -- even from the same studio.

Bookmarks data is retained in the player's Persistent Storage. So if you Erase Persistent Storage all your Bookmarks will go away, along with any other saved data put in there by ANY discs you've played. If you've already got a ton of stuff in Persistent Storage it is possible there would be no more space for a new Bookmark, even though you don't have any saved yet for that particular disc. It's also possible the BD-Java program on a disc is simply written poorly, and thus is getting confused about what space is available. In both cases, Erasing Persistent Storage may be the only solution.

(The OPPO lets you switch to using an attached, USB hard drive for Persistent Storage if you really REALLY don't want to delete older stuff. But you'll have to switch back to using Internal storage if you want to access that older stuff.)
--Bob
Paul H likes this.

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 09-21-2014 at 09:21 AM.
post #5294 of 5310 Old 09-21-2014, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Nope, knock on wood. Agree on the possible handshake issue. Describe more precisely what happens when this occurs to you.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #5295 of 5310 Old 09-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristisabo View Post
The Beta Testers (like me) will usually post a warning here if we know of any significant gotchas in a Public Beta firmware release.

All firmware will come with both fixes and new bugs (some yet to be discovered). That's just life. Personally, I'd choose the current Public Beta.
--Bob

post #5296 of 5310 Old 09-21-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Out of interest, what's your 3D source?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
post #5297 of 5310 Old 09-21-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
"Bookmarks" for Blu-ray are not a player function. They are implemented by the BD-Java program which is part of the content on the Blu-ray disc -- which is why many discs don't have them at all. (Some discs don't even have a BD-Java program to begin with.) To manage your Bookmarks for a disc you need to go to its own, on-disc menus and find the Bookmarks stuff there. The studios can program this any way they want, so there's no standardization for how this is done across different discs -- even from the same studio.

Bookmarks data is retained in the player's Persistent Storage. So if you Erase Persistent Storage all your Bookmarks will go away, along with any other saved data put in there by ANY discs you've played. If you've already got a ton of stuff in Persistent Storage it is possible there would be no more space for a new Bookmark, even though you don't have any saved yet for that particular disc. It's also possible the BD-Java program on a disc is simply written poorly, and thus is getting confused about what space is available. In both cases, Erasing Persistent Storage may be the only solution.

(The OPPO lets you switch to using an attached, USB hard drive for Persistent Storage if you really REALLY don't want to delete older stuff. But you'll have to switch back to using Internal storage if you want to access that older stuff.)
--Bob
This information is very useful for me. Was at a loss to find any "bookmark" information anywhere on my own. Blu-ray's are the dominant media format I use with my Oppo's, so I will definitely save this for future reference. Thanks.

post #5298 of 5310 Old 09-21-2014, 10:13 AM

Hi
I have a Anthem AVM 50 v 3d processor, and Sharp 844 display. Im setting it up as follows Oppo HDMI #1 out to to Anthem HDMI #1 in and Anthem HDMI #1 out to display.
Rob
post #5299 of 5310 Old 09-21-2014, 10:26 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Either Anthem or OPPO Tech Support should be able to help you sort this out. They both have each other's gear in their test lab.

First try connecting the OPPO direct to the display to see if that works or if this is some problem with the Display's HDMI implementation.

As usual with HDMI connectivity issues, the first thing to do is see to it that you've got good enough cables, hooked up properly.
--Bob

post #5300 of 5310 Old 09-21-2014, 01:45 PM

Hi everybody
I hope I have come across the solution. I changed the HDMI Input on both the Anthem and Sharp display. I had problems with Godzilla 3d and Into the Darkness Star Trek. And it played fine. I realize the is not a Oppo problem ,but thank you for everyones concern.

Rob
post #5301 of 5310 Old 09-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ It may turn out that all that was needed was to reseat the HDMI plugs in their sockets.
--Bob

post #5302 of 5310 Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Will the Oppo D improve video through an Apple TV?

I am considering a new Blu Ray player.
The Oppo might be worth the $$$ if I can patch the Apple TV through it and use the Darbee to increase picture quality.

I use the Apple Tv for streaming Netflix and HD downloads and rips in iTunes.

TV is a Pioneer Kuro.
post #5303 of 5310 Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 225
^^^
Darbee does not improve image quality. It highlights existing quality. GIGO. Based on your stated sources of video, its not likely that Darbee will generate much perceived improvement.

That said, either the 103 or 103D might offer some modest improvements in scaling and processing streamed video. Also true that the Oppo has a pretty good Netflix interface and improved streaming speeds.
post #5304 of 5310 Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just got the oppo 103d not really seeing much improvement n blue ray. I have a pioneer plasma.
post #5305 of 5310 Old Yesterday, 09:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volpar View Post
Just got the oppo 103d not really seeing much improvement n blue ray. I have a pioneer plasma.
That's pretty typical for Blu-ray. Some people see some improvement, others not.
The Darbee adds some nice enhanced contrast and detail to the best Blu-rays,
but for the most part there won't be a significant improvement over cheaper players.
The value in the Oppo players comes from many other areas and features that makes the whole package attractive.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #5306 of 5310 Old Today, 06:22 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volpar View Post
Have you had you plasma properly calibrated for both players? If the calibration is incorrect for either one that may very well mask differences between players (which will usually be subtle).
--Bob

post #5307 of 5310 Old Today, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Have you had you plasma properly calibrated for both players? If the calibration is incorrect for either one that may very well mask differences between players (which will usually be subtle).
--Bob
No I don't is it easy to do, do you need a disk for that.
post #5308 of 5310 Old Today, 06:57 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ You can get quite close if you spend some time with a calibration disc -- such as Spears & Munsil, v2, as sold by OPPO Digital.

Some folks pay a professional to come in and do it. The difference is that a tech will use a light sensor which lets him dial things in more perfectly. (A good tech also has the experience to know how to make a TV do what it is supposed to do.)

Modern digital displays are far more finicky about calibration than old, traditional TVs. Or to put it another way, with a modern display, the difference between "right" and "nearly right" is quite a bit more dramatic than it was in the past.

Far and away, the single most important thing you can do for picture quality is to get your display's video settings properly calibrated.

When the Picture Adjustment settings of the OPPO are left in their factory default (0) values, the OPPO puts out Reference video levels. So leave those controls alone and make all adjustments in your Plasma. That may or may not be true for your other player. So you need to check calibration separately with each to see if any setting differences are needed.

Please note that the factory default settings in just about every TV sold are *WRONG* for best viewing. They are, instead, set to make the TV stand out in a wall of TVs under garish store lighting. It is quite normal to have to change away from the TV's factory default settings when you calibrate.

There's a whole forum here dedicated to display calibration if this is all new to you. Take a look at some of the tutorial posts.

Calibration can appear quite daunting when you first start to learn about it. Trust me on this, it is WELL WORTH THE EFFORT!
--Bob

post #5309 of 5310 Old Today, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi, new Oppo 103D owner.

Was able to snag a refurbished from Oppo. Long time lurker and this is my first post. I have learned a lot from the very informed who post on this forum. Please bear with me. I have had Oppo now for about 2 weeks and have been very impressed. However, I have one nagging problem that I just cant seem to solve. This may have been covered before but I have not been able to locate a specific discussion about it. First, my components.

Dish hopper connected to Oppo rear HDMI input. Oppo HDMI 1 out to Sony DA4400ES receiver. Oppo HDMI 2 out to Coby 13" display.
Sony receiver HDMI out to Panny PTAE3000 Projector. All HDMI cables are hi speed rated.

My settings are as follows:
Video settings: Dual display, Resolution - 1080P, 1080p24 output - off, DVD24p conversion - off.
Audio Format: Secondary audio - off, HDMI audio - Bitstream, SACD output - DSD.
Firmware: BDD10X - 75 - 0515.

When turning on the Hopper, changing channels, pausing, skip functions, fast fwd and back, there will be about a 3 second delay before the sound begins. (I get a lot of lip reading practice this way, LOL.) This only occurs on the Dolby Digital channels. The LPCM 2.0 channels has no delay. When a Blue-ray disc is played there is no delay. I also bypassed the Oppo and connected directly to the receiver, and had no delay. The delay only occurs while feeding through the Oppo.

The following troubleshooting was performed with no results:
Changed settings as noted above.
Checked all HDMI connections and swapped out cables.
Set display to split A/V. (No picture to the small TV.)
Disconnected small TV.
Connected Hopper to front HDMI output on Oppo. (Same problem persisted.)
Re-installed latest firmware, emptied persistent storage, and did factory re-set.
Did hard restart..unplugged Oppo, pressed on power button, and restarted.

I have run out of ideas. Thought I would post here before contacting Oppo. Any thoughts?
Bob
post #5310 of 5310 Old Today, 12:40 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobster View Post
Hi, new Oppo 103D owner.

Was able to snag a refurbished from Oppo. Long time lurker and this is my first post. I have learned a lot from the very informed who post on this forum. Please bear with me. I have had Oppo now for about 2 weeks and have been very impressed. However, I have one nagging problem that I just cant seem to solve. This may have been covered before but I have not been able to locate a specific discussion about it. First, my components.

Dish hopper connected to Oppo rear HDMI input. Oppo HDMI 1 out to Sony DA4400ES receiver. Oppo HDMI 2 out to Coby 13" display.
Sony receiver HDMI out to Panny PTAE3000 Projector. All HDMI cables are hi speed rated.

My settings are as follows:
Video settings: Dual display, Resolution - 1080P, 1080p24 output - off, DVD24p conversion - off.
Audio Format: Secondary audio - off, HDMI audio - Bitstream, SACD output - DSD.
Firmware: BDD10X - 75 - 0515.

When turning on the Hopper, changing channels, pausing, skip functions, fast fwd and back, there will be about a 3 second delay before the sound begins. (I get a lot of lip reading practice this way, LOL.) This only occurs on the Dolby Digital channels. The LPCM 2.0 channels has no delay. When a Blue-ray disc is played there is no delay. I also bypassed the Oppo and connected directly to the receiver, and had no delay. The delay only occurs while feeding through the Oppo.

The following troubleshooting was performed with no results:
Changed settings as noted above.
Checked all HDMI connections and swapped out cables.
Set display to split A/V. (No picture to the small TV.)
Disconnected small TV.
Connected Hopper to front HDMI output on Oppo. (Same problem persisted.)
Re-installed latest firmware, emptied persistent storage, and did factory re-set.
Did hard restart..unplugged Oppo, pressed on power button, and restarted.

I have run out of ideas. Thought I would post here before contacting Oppo. Any thoughts?
Bob
First of all, welcome to AVS and to this Thread.

There's really only one other thing you can try which is to set HDMI Audio LPCM in the 103D. The OPPO will do the decoding (from the Dish and from discs) and send high bandwidth, multi-channel LPCM to your AVR.

What's probably going on here is that the Dish doesn't have a particularly smart HDMI implementation, and it's getting confused because their is something (the OPPO) between it and the consumer of its audio. HDMI handshakes are driven by the Source device (the Dish in this case) all the way through to the other end of your setup. So the Dish has to talk to the OPPO, and then to the AVR through the OPPO, and then to the TV through the OPPO and through the AVR. If it gets the timing a little bit off -- for example if Copy Protection checks fail the first time -- then it will need to retry, and each retry takes about 2 seconds. Sounds like you are getting two retries.

Part of the timing issue here is the time it takes the AVR to decide the incoming audio digital stream is well formed. USUALLY the AVR can do this faster when fed LPCM instead of a Bitstream. Thus the suggestion to try Bitstream audio output from the OPPO.

If that doesn't do it for you, the only other suggestion is to email the details of your setup to OPPO Tech Support to see if they can come up with something else to try. My guess is there's only so much the OPPO can do given the Dish is in control of the handshake, so this may be something you have to live with if you are going to run the Dish through the OPPO.
--Bob

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page