post #5341 of 5369 Old 09-26-2014, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
SAKGOZ79,
The folks who run AVS ask that discussion of hacked firmware be taken someplace else. Discussion of Region Free hardware mods -- and the SuperDisc, free software mod for SD-DVD (only) Region Free, is allowed.

For SuperDisc see the FAQ -- link available at the top of the first post of the BDP-103 owner's thread.
--Bob
Ok I got it sorry for confusion I was just wondering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5342 of 5369 Old 09-29-2014, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Does the US version of the 103d have the BBC Sport app?

When I access "choose sport" all the sports come up with error HODGE.
The replays in the area to the left work fine.
post #5343 of 5369 Old 09-29-2014, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Well the Oppo arrived on Saturday and of course I could not wait to set it up so I did just that. The unit out of the box was very impressive inside a black bag and solid as can be upon taking it out. Set up was quite easy basically just like my old bluray player.
I experimented with Darbee and found the best setting for my 50" plasma to be High Def with levels set to 100%. I tried the 35-50 % and even 75% but at that setting I could not tell much difference before and after.
Once set at 100 I could clearly see a difference. The faces had more details and the dark scenes lit up without taking away from black levels.
Overall I am happy with the unit.
post #5344 of 5369 Old 09-29-2014, 07:12 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 881
^ You can flip between Darbee Hi-def and Off using the Darbee button and the Arrow buttons on the remote to more easily spot what a given percentage level is doing. Or you could activate either of the Darbee "demo" modes. The portion of the screen to the left of the demo divider line is the processed portion.

Ideally you don't want to set Darbee so high that the processing becomes obvious without such direct comparison. It should be subtle.
--Bob
post #5345 of 5369 Old 09-29-2014, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^ You can flip between Darbee Hi-def and Off using the Darbee button and the Arrow buttons on the remote to more easily spot what a given percentage level is doing. Or you could activate either of the Darbee "demo" modes. The portion of the screen to the left of the demo divider line is the processed portion.

Ideally you don't want to set Darbee so high that the processing becomes obvious without such direct comparison. It should be subtle.
--Bob
Thank you. I did use the on/off and screen split feature but and at 50% I could tell a slight difference from up close but once I moved to my sitting area which is like 13ft the effects would disapear therefore I set it to 100%. At that level I can see a nice picture without artifacts.
post #5346 of 5369 Old 09-29-2014, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My region free modded 103D was exactly like that when it arrived. I had to turn it up to 100 to see the Darbee effect. But I did a restore factory presets and all of the image processing settings became twice as powerful. I think when they update the firmware, they don't always hit reset and things don't work right at first.

Also, make sure you are using HDMI 1 out. That is the one on the RIGHT, not the left as you would expect. I don't know why 2 comes before 1 on the Oppo, but it does. Darbee won't work at all on HDMI 2.
post #5347 of 5369 Old 09-29-2014, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
My region free modded 103D was exactly like that when it arrived. I had to turn it up to 100 to see the Darbee effect. But I did a restore factory presets and all of the image processing settings became twice as powerful. I think when they update the firmware, they don't always hit reset and things don't work right at first.

Also, make sure you are using HDMI 1 out. That is the one on the RIGHT, not the left as you would expect. I don't know why 2 comes before 1 on the Oppo, but it does. Darbee won't work at all on HDMI 2.
If I hit reset will it still keep the most current firmware? Yes I do have it connceted to HDMI 1.
Are you telling me 100 % is too high regardless of tv and seating distance?

Last edited by asere; 09-29-2014 at 09:46 AM.
post #5348 of 5369 Old 09-29-2014, 09:53 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
If I hit reset will it still keep the most current firmware? Yes I do have it connceted to HDMI 1.
Setting Darbee to 100% is sort of like turning the contrast and brightness controls all the way up on your TV. So yes, 100% is not recommended by most people and as Bob says, Darbee should be a subtle effect.

When you select the reset, it keeps the current firmware. It just resets all the settings in the menu to their default values and has been known to resolve some mysterious issues.
post #5349 of 5369 Old 09-29-2014, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Setting Darbee to 100% is sort of like turning the contrast and brightness controls all the way up on your TV. So yes, 100% is not recommended by most people and as Bob says, Darbee should be a subtle effect.

When you select the reset, it keeps the current firmware. It just resets all the settings in the menu to their default values and has been known to resolve some mysterious issues.
Thank you I shall try the reset and change Darbee to just a subtle effect.
post #5350 of 5369 Old 09-29-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Thank you I shall try the reset and change Darbee to just a subtle effect.
Use the split-screen to get the setting that looks best to you, in your setting, at your viewing distance. Everyone will be different. For me, 55% was perfect.
asere likes this.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
post #5351 of 5369 Old 09-29-2014, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

I went ahead and changed it to 55 instead of 100. At 55 I can see just a subtle change.
post #5352 of 5369 Old 09-29-2014, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Resetting it will only clear out your settings, not the firmware. 100% is normally too high, yes. I would recommend doing a restore to factory presets.
post #5353 of 5369 Old 09-30-2014, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
Resetting it will only clear out your settings, not the firmware. 100% is normally too high, yes. I would recommend doing a restore to factory presets.
On the Menu it asks to reset the settings and reset settings with all apps. Which one do I do?
post #5354 of 5369 Old 09-30-2014, 07:52 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:
On the Menu it asks to reset the settings and reset settings with all apps. Which one do I do?
Reset Settings and Applications will also discard the login credentials for the Internet apps -- for example if you are going to sell the player. You would have to log in again for each app you use.

The Reset Settings which preserves the Applications stuff is the normal one to use.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5355 of 5369 Old 09-30-2014, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

How should the Oppo be connected? Right now I have it the tv hdmi to the avr and Oppo hdmi 1 to the receiver however, reading the Oppo manual they recommend
Split A/V
(recommended) Use HDMI 1 OUT as the dedicated video output port and
HDMI 2 OUT
as the dedicated audio output port. This setting will ensure the best possible
picture quality and the highest possible audio resolution.

Is this how most users have it?
post #5356 of 5369 Old 09-30-2014, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
How should the Oppo be connected? Right now I have it the tv hdmi to the avr and Oppo hdmi 1 to the receiver however, reading the Oppo manual they recommend
Split A/V
(recommended) Use HDMI 1 OUT as the dedicated video output port and
HDMI 2 OUT
as the dedicated audio output port. This setting will ensure the best possible
picture quality and the highest possible audio resolution.

Is this how most users have it?
That will work fine assuming the AVR has the ability to pass the signal through (direct) allowing the OPPO to handle all the processing. This way you only need 1 HDMI cable from OPPO (see page 11 manual) - You can use the split A/V system if you want to use 2 HDMI from the OPPO as noted above.

BUT without a connection from the HDTV to AVR you might not be able to use the the Internet features of the HDTV - I had used the OPPO/AVR/HDTV system for some time but recently changed to use both OPPO HDMI out but maintaining the AVR/HDTV HDMI connection. I did not see any improvement in the video by going to the dual output system.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #5357 of 5369 Old 09-30-2014, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post
That will work fine assuming the AVR has the ability to pass the signal through (direct) allowing the OPPO to handle all the processing. This way you only need 1 HDMI cable from OPPO (see page 11 manual) - You can use the split A/V system if you want to use 2 HDMI from the OPPO as noted above.

BUT without a connection from the HDTV to AVR you might not be able to use the the Internet features of the HDTV - I had used the OPPO/AVR/HDTV system for some time but recently changed to use both OPPO HDMI out but maintaining the AVR/HDTV HDMI connection. I did not see any improvement in the video by going to the dual output system.
Thank you, the other issue with split would be in order to watch tv the Oppo would need to be ON all the time.
post #5358 of 5369 Old 09-30-2014, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

--Bob
The best option is off, the processing is not needed with Blu Ray, however if you like this sort if gizmo go with it.
post #5359 of 5369 Old 09-30-2014, 02:15 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logibaird View Post
The best option is off, the processing is not needed with Blu Ray, however if you like this sort if gizmo go with it.

I presume you know that you are on an "owner's thread" for the 103D which was probably bought for it's Darbee capability (otherwise you would buy the 103 for $100 less). So I would expect most of the posters on this thread would "like this sort of gizmo".
Smarty-pants and asere like this.
post #5360 of 5369 Old 09-30-2014, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logibaird View Post
The whole purpose of the 103D is the Darbee - if not interested in this "gizmo" you should buy the 103 and save a $100.00
Smarty-pants and asere like this.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #5361 of 5369 Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I like gizmos. And this 103D doohickey here is a particularly appealing gizmo.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #5362 of 5369 Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I know it is possible to move the position of the subtitles up or down when playing back a movie from a BD/DVD. But is it possible to do the same when playing a movie from a MKV file with external subtitle file? I tried holding down the "Subtitle" button but pressing the "Up" and "Down" buttons don't seem to do anything?
post #5363 of 5369 Old Today, 04:11 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschen View Post
I know it is possible to move the position of the subtitles up or down when playing back a movie from a BD/DVD. But is it possible to do the same when playing a movie from a MKV file with external subtitle file? I tried holding down the "Subtitle" button but pressing the "Up" and "Down" buttons don't seem to do anything?
See the other thread.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #5364 of 5369 Old Today, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi!

I'm a recent owner of 103D and very happy about it.

I wanted it for 2 reasons. The subtitle shift feature and the fact that I can playback my kids' Blu-rays from a HDD without damaging the BDs. It's a great bonus also, that you can load external .srt subtitles on Blu-ray discs! I have some imported without Greek subtitles and it did help!

What I'm missing though is the ability to playback 3D content from the HDD. I don't care about SBS, etc. since I don't like to reencode my BD's, but to be able to rip my 3d BD's to my disk and play them from there.

I tried MakeMKV to rip to a 3D MVC MKV but it always play as a 2D. If I select 3D, it just makes a conversion from 2D>3D.
Also, if I fully rip a BDMV folder I can only play it as 2D and not 3D.

Is there capability of playing 3D MVC MKV files or 3D BDMV from a HDD witht the official FW or should I stop trying?

I know there are "hacked" firmwares but: 1) They don't state if they can playback 3D and 2) I have an EU model, so I cannot find any EU firmware.
post #5365 of 5369 Old Today, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdrifter View Post
Hi!

I'm a recent owner of 103D and very happy about it.

What I'm missing though is the ability to playback 3D content from the HDD. I don't care about SBS, etc. since I don't like to reencode my BD's, but to be able to rip my 3d BD's to my disk and play them from there.

I tried MakeMKV to rip to a 3D MVC MKV but it always play as a 2D. If I select 3D, it just makes a conversion from 2D>3D.
Also, if I fully rip a BDMV folder I can only play it as 2D and not 3D.

Is there capability of playing 3D MVC MKV files or 3D BDMV from a HDD witht the official FW or should I stop trying?

I believe I have found the answers to your questions in the "Oppo 103" Thread.

Read the following posts/discussions from that thread:
Post 16661 - Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

...followed by posts 16662, 16704, 16708, 16709, 16711, 16744, 16749.

These posts were from May/2014, and should be relevant, unless newer Oppo firmware/enhancements relating to your questions were implemented after that time period.

Last edited by DanF8500; Today at 09:15 AM.
post #5366 of 5369 Old Today, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sorry if this has been answered before but I'm in a bit of a rush situation. I'm just about to sell my 83 and would like to get the 103D to replace it. Is there a way to also get the Darbee enhancement added to my media player as well or will it only work on what's directly playing on the Oppo wether it be Bluray's or media through that? I figured I can plug in my media player to the HDMI in and have everything going out of HDMI1 which has Darbee.

Thanks.

Make something idiot-proof, and they will build a better idiot
post #5367 of 5369 Old Today, 10:04 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
Sorry if this has been answered before but I'm in a bit of a rush situation. I'm just about to sell my 83 and would like to get the 103D to replace it. Is there a way to also get the Darbee enhancement added to my media player as well or will it only work on what's directly playing on the Oppo wether it be Bluray's or media through that? I figured I can plug in my media player to the HDMI in and have everything going out of HDMI1 which has Darbee.

Thanks.
There is a separate Darbee product called the Darblet. You could use that instead. See: Darbee vision darblet

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #5368 of 5369 Old Today, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I know about their other product but that would be another fairly big expense on top of the Oppo. So I take it that's a no to my question then?

Make something idiot-proof, and they will build a better idiot
post #5369 of 5369 Old Today, 10:23 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
I know about their other product but that would be another fairly big expense on top of the Oppo. So I take it that's a no to my question then?
I misunderstood. Darbee applies to all source types, HDMI input included.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page