Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 181 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 546Likes
post #5401 of 8845 Old 10-04-2014, 07:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post
Yes, exactly you look at the disc it's fine- then it won't freeze again.

I think you just experienced the (rare) random freezing of the player.
I watch way more movies than most, so I probably just encounter it more.

But for whatever reason, the 103/105D seems to freeze 2.8% of the time. For most people who watch maybe like maybe 3 blu rays a week- they'll only ever encounter a few times yearly.

I watch between 7-10 movies a week.
No I have experimented a lot with that coating on the disc. When I get one like that, I play with it a bit.
The last time it happened, I wiped it with a micro cloth, it looked pretty good,
put it back in the player and it froze up again. Tried skipping forward, and it would play for a few minutes, then freeze again.
Took it back out and then cleaned it thoroughly with cloth and cleaner. After that it played perfectly.

The incremental measurements between the disc and laser are so small,
any tiny variation can cause issue. The thickness of the disc, the preciseness of the center hole, etc...
If one disc is 1/1000th of an inch thicker than most discs, it may cause an issue.
Is there error correction for this type of stuff in the optical drive?... I really don't know, but I think any player is going to have
an issue like that once in a while. The more discs and content you watch, the more likely you are to experience such things.
Some people say "I have never had an issue, including freezing, etc...". However, maybe they only watch 1 movie a week,
or maybe they just got lucky, who knows.
Like I said earlier though, these things are inherent in modern electronics and Oppo is no exception.
The OLD technology, like VHS tapes had more problems 1000 times over, so these issues pale in comparison.
We get so used to expecting perfection from digital devices these days, we don't realize that it never was/is perfect, it's just an illusion.
Our human perception is flawed, so we know not what perfection even is.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 8845 Old 10-06-2014, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
No I have experimented a lot with that coating on the disc. When I get one like that, I play with it a bit.
The last time it happened, I wiped it with a micro cloth, it looked pretty good,
put it back in the player and it froze up again. Tried skipping forward, and it would play for a few minutes, then freeze again.
Took it back out and then cleaned it thoroughly with cloth and cleaner. After that it played perfectly.
I have been using standard rubbing alcohol to clean rental discs before I put them into the OPPO. I did not know there was dedicated disc cleaning solutions available. I will look into that. My assumption is that rubbing alcohol could not damage the disc. Does anyone know if this is a good assumption?

What in the wide world of sports is going on around here !!
post #5403 of 8845 Old 10-06-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Wi View Post
I have been using standard rubbing alcohol to clean rental discs before I put them into the OPPO. I did not know there was dedicated disc cleaning solutions available. I will look into that. My assumption is that rubbing alcohol could not damage the disc. Does anyone know if this is a good assumption?
Hmm, I don't know about alcohol, I've never used it.
I would guess it to be pretty harmless if only used on a disc once or twice.
I have used glass cleaner in the past, and that would probably be close to the same effect.
I think the most important factor is to make sure your cloth doesn't scratch the disc.
The cleaning solution I got was dirt cheap and works really good, especially for my tv and pc screens,
and you don't want to use harsh chemicals for screens.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #5404 of 8845 Old 10-06-2014, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Hmm, I don't know about alcohol, I've never used it.
I would guess it to be pretty harmless if only used on a disc once or twice.
I have used glass cleaner in the past, and that would probably be close to the same effect.
I think the most important factor is to make sure your cloth doesn't scratch the disc.
The cleaning solution I got was dirt cheap and works really good, especially for my tv and pc screens,
and you don't want to use harsh chemicals for screens.
They are often the same thing.

Main two ingredients in either are most often isopropylene alchohol and water, most alchohols should be fine as long as they don't cause a reaction with plastics.

I once grabbed the wrong can and tried scrubbing a CD with pure ethylacetate, nuf' said it vanished through my fingers
post #5405 of 8845 Old 10-06-2014, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Dam i thought i was alone and unlucky with freezing issues.. i watch stuff from HD...always worried if it was my marantz av8801.....

Definitive bp7002 l/r-clr 2500 center-bp2x rear-supercube 1
AV8801/Emotiva xpa-5/oppo 103d, butterkicker BK-KIT-4
post #5406 of 8845 Old 10-06-2014, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 102
/\ how often does yours freeze?

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #5407 of 8845 Old 10-07-2014, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Haven't had mine freeze at all in ten month's use.
post #5408 of 8845 Old 10-07-2014, 04:16 AM

once every week

post #5409 of 8845 Old 10-07-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksarkar View Post
once every week

On what and how much usage?

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #5410 of 8845 Old 10-07-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post
On what and how much usage?
Random.. mostly i use Roku and external HD...I would say on avg may be using 3-4 hours per day

post #5411 of 8845 Old 10-07-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksarkar View Post
Random.. mostly i use Roku and external HD...I would say on avg may be using 3-4 hours per day
Is that the Roku stick or an external Roku?
post #5412 of 8845 Old 10-07-2014, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,

A newbie here... I am trying to understand if the oppo 103D will improve my audio and video experience.

I have a pair of B&W CM10 and CMC2 powered with the marantz receiver SR7009. I listen to music in mp3 format and video both in bluray and mkv (all legal) played from computer.

Music sounds definitely much better when streaming directly from spotify (320kbps) than mp3 in computer-hdmi-receiver. I think that the sound for mkv movies can be improved too.

As I understood the 103D will not improve the sound of music if I connect a USB drive to it, I would need to move to the 105, which is out of my budget, or get the CD. Is this correct?

and will reproducing mkv from the oppo improve video and audio quality in comparison with the computer?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!
post #5413 of 8845 Old 10-07-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acerox View Post
Hi,

A newbie here... I am trying to understand if the oppo 103D will improve my audio and video experience.

I have a pair of B&W CM10 and CMC2 powered with the marantz receiver SR7009. I listen to music in mp3 format and video both in bluray and mkv (all legal) played from computer.

Music sounds definitely much better when streaming directly from spotify (320kbps) than mp3 in computer-hdmi-receiver. I think that the sound for mkv movies can be improved too.

As I understood the 103D will not improve the sound of music if I connect a USB drive to it, I would need to move to the 105, which is out of my budget, or get the CD. Is this correct?

and will reproducing mkv from the oppo improve video and audio quality in comparison with the computer?

Thanks!
The combination of a good receiver and the 103D is very good for music. The 105D will only benefit you if you connect by analog cables to the Marantz. You can do this, but personally I prefer to use a digital (HDMI) connection for music.

If you're using an HDMI connection, the 105 and the 103D are identical in performance. So the music you're listening to is just fine on the 103D if you're using a digital connection,

With any music, the source and the recording are the important things if you've got a great player like you do. I use a mix of MP3's and lossless music files (FLAC, AIFF) for music, along with regular CD's and lossless CD's (SACD and DVD-Audio), which the 103D supports.

If you want better music sound, I'd just use the 103D and spend the difference to the 105 to improve my speakers. You've already got an excellent disk and media player. No need to go to to the 105 unless you're going to use analog cables or the USB connection to a computer.
Acerox likes this.
post #5414 of 8845 Old 10-07-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Is that the Roku stick or an external Roku?
Roku stick

post #5415 of 8845 Old 10-07-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
The combination of a good receiver and the 103D is very good for music. The 105D will only benefit you if you connect by analog cables to the Marantz. You can do this, but personally I prefer to use a digital (HDMI) connection for music.

If you're using an HDMI connection, the 105 and the 103D are identical in performance. So the music you're listening to is just fine on the 103D if you're using a digital connection,

With any music, the source and the recording are the important things if you've got a great player like you do. I use a mix of MP3's and lossless music files (FLAC, AIFF) for music, along with regular CD's and lossless CD's (SACD and DVD-Audio), which the 103D supports.

If you want better music sound, I'd just use the 103D and spend the difference to the 105 to improve my speakers. You've already got an excellent disk and media player. No need to go to to the 105 unless you're going to use analog cables or the USB connection to a computer.
Thanks Hernanu.
Then what you are saying is that I should expect an improvement by using the oppo 103D to reproduce mp3 and mkv over the computer?
post #5416 of 8845 Old 10-07-2014, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!
I have almost same setup - B&w cm10s, cmc2 center (all S2s) driving through denon 4520...frankly speaking I don't see any improvement in sound quality to my ears comparing oppo-103d vs Sony blu player I had before. I have played both sacd and blu Ray disks on both players and quality was pretty much same. But you can definitely see subtle picture improvement because of darbee processing.
post #5417 of 8845 Old 10-07-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanishq02 View Post
I have almost same setup - B&w cm10s, cmc2 center (all S2s) driving through denon 4520...frankly speaking I don't see any improvement in sound quality to my ears comparing oppo-103d vs Sony blu player I had before. I have played both sacd and blu Ray disks on both players and quality was pretty much same. But you can definitely see subtle picture improvement because of darbee processing.
Did you try mkv with the oppo, any difference?
post #5418 of 8845 Old 10-07-2014, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Did you try mkv with the oppo, any difference?
Yes, I did play mkv files although through NAS....as I mentioned no difference in sound, but subtle difference in picture quality.
post #5419 of 8845 Old 10-08-2014, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Vudu question:

We were watching Edge of Tomorrow last night on the Vudu app on the Oppo. Towards the end of the movie, the picture became so dull, that my kids actually noticed the poor picture quality. When I stopped the movie and picked it back up on my Vudu app on my Roku 3, the picture was fine. When I go back and watch it on the Oppo, the picture quality is poor. Any ideas on why this may be? Both are hard wired to my router and the Internet speed is fine.
post #5420 of 8845 Old 10-08-2014, 05:24 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1344 Post(s)
Liked: 1346
^ If the ROKU is plugged into a separate input of your AVR or TV, the most likely explanation is that some setting got changed accidentally in the AVR/TV while you were watching.

The ROKU sends out 1080p/24 for movies. The OPPO > VUDU sends out 1080p/60 and that's processed through whatever Picture Adjustment settings you've selected in the OPPO.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5421 of 8845 Old 10-08-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Hernanu.
Then what you are saying is that I should expect an improvement by using the oppo 103D to reproduce mp3 and mkv over the computer?
Actually I was saying that unless you are using analog connections on both the 103D and the 105, you won't find a difference there.

I don't know what kind of a connection you're using between your PC and the receiver, but if it's analog, your path is MP3 file -> sound card -> receiver -> speaker. Depending on the sound card and its capabilities, you may be using analog wired connectors (RCA), in which case your sound card is converting the digital signal to analog, then your receiver (if it can) takes it, converts it back to digital, processes it and converts it back to analog to output to your speakers. Or just outputs it as is.

If you are using a digital connection, and your device drivers are good, then you are going to skip the conversion to analog at the computer, and the stream fed to the receiver ought to be a good representation of the music.

So I would think (just speculating here) that if you depend on a player to read the digital files and do the bitstream to the receiver, you stand a better chance of good results than a longer processing path. Just my opinion, someone more acquainted with PC sound should be able to give you better information.

I do know that the 105 has a USB connection (with a device driver to match) to PCs that is used to bypass the PC's sound card to avoid the extra processing.

I don't play music from my PC's, since I have all of my media files on my network drive, so I just use SMB or DLNA to get my digital files directly over the network to my 103D. No PC or sound card involved.

Either way though, the difference in sound is hard to predict, since the connections and what kind of sound card that's being used is unknown.
Acerox likes this.
post #5422 of 8845 Old 10-08-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!
It's your receiver and the actual quality of your source material that is determining the sound quality you hear. The Oppo will not change that. As you have already noticed, higher bit rate .mp3 files (320) sound better than many computer music files which can be as low as 128 bits (and occasionally even lower). In your setup, you are merely passing the audio feed to your receiver and it is converting that to analog for your speakers. Your system is certainly capable of better sound. I think it is the quality of your sources that is letting you down. Get better source material and it will sound better.

post #5423 of 8845 Old 10-08-2014, 10:15 AM

Ok, I think I got it now. I will follow the recommendations about the source and let you know.

Thanks.
post #5424 of 8845 Old 10-08-2014, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Not alone I have seen this many many times. Very frustrating for a quality product.

Pioneer SC-65
KEF, Q5 Front, Q9 Center, Q1 rear, Q800DS
Epson 3020 Projector, 135 in 235.1 screen
OPPO 103D, Apple TV, XBOX 360
post #5425 of 8845 Old 10-08-2014, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The AV Sync seems to chance every time i switch on my gear. It seemed fine for ages then I've put on the Entourage boxset and its gone from 280 to 380 to 410ms between my oppo and Onkyo. I would say its the blurays that are out of sync but the TV internal sound is fine. I'll try some other sources but not sure what's going on

Edit : Confirmed Its only the oppo that keeps changing the AV Sync depending on the bluray . Default is 270ms but some are 330,380 and 410ms anyone else found this ?

LG 55LA970W - Oppo 103D - Onkyo TX-NR636 - Kef Q1,5,9C speakers and Rel 150 sub - Sennheiser HD650 Headphones

Last edited by WhiskeyOmega; 10-08-2014 at 02:39 PM.
post #5426 of 8845 Old 10-09-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 164
From what I can tell the Darbee on the 103D does not recognize if you are using bluray or just dvd right?
What I mean is if you leave the Darbee set to High Def and you put in a dvd for example you will need to change the Darbee to Full Pop or vise versa right?
post #5427 of 8845 Old 10-09-2014, 06:40 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1907 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
From what I can tell the Darbee on the 103D does not recognize if you are using bluray or just dvd right?
What I mean is if you leave the Darbee set to High Def and you put in a dvd for example you will need to change the Darbee to Full Pop or vise versa right?
Not understanding. When it's on, it's on. It doesn't automatically switch modes depending on the disc type.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #5428 of 8845 Old 10-09-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Not understanding. When it's on, it's on. It doesn't automatically switch modes depending on the disc type.

-Bill
Yes I know about when it is on it is on. And you answered my question about how it wont change mode depending on disc type. I wish it had that feature to recognize the disc.
post #5429 of 8845 Old 10-09-2014, 07:02 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 1344 Post(s)
Liked: 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
That's correct. You need to make the change manually. You can use the Darbee button on the remote to do that if the only change you want to make is for Darbee, or you can set up two different sets of settings in Setup > Video Setup > Picture Adjustments for the HDMI 1 output -- there are 3 sets available in all, called Modes.

Then press and hold the Setup button and you'll get directly to the Picture Adjustment sub-menu as a shortcut. Use Left/Right arrow to switch Mode and Return to exit out of the menu.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5430 of 8845 Old 10-09-2014, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Having a small issue with a 103D...

I am using HDMI 1 to the display and HDMI 2 to the Yamaha AVR for sound. The dual HDMI output is set to A/V split yet I have no sound. FW is up to date. Any insight? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread