Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 185 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5521 of 5538 Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oppo 103D navigate special features ?

Hey all. I took delivery of an Oppo 103D this past spring, and its updated to the May update.

This player is incapable of navigating the special features - using the arrow buttons on the remote - of the following BD discs:

Generation Kill
Band of Brothers

Am I missing some feature of the remote ? or do I have to download some software for an Android phone ? in order to access the special features of these discs.

I'm about to try the discs on my Icom BD 780 region free player.

ADD: never mind, epic face palm/ Just figured out how the BoB interactive timeline works in Disc 1's special features. Mondays ... sigh.

Last edited by socketus; Yesterday at 02:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5522 of 5538 Old Today, 03:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by obagley View Post
Thanks Bob!

I didn't realise I had to make sure everything was set perfectly to be honest, I thought it was pretty much a plug and play affair.
I'll go home and have a tinker with it some more and see if I can get it to work a little better. I'm unsure where half of those settings are on the PS3, I'm sure I'll find them though.

I am using the OPPO supplied HDMI cable from PS3 to OPPO and then a $40 HDMI cable (I'm pretty sure it's high speed) from OPPO to TV. I'm going to upgrade both to Wireworld HDMI cables so I'll be sure to buy 2m lengths, thanks for that tip Bob

Regards
The Oppo HDMI cable is an EXCELLENT cable - no need to replace!

Save yourself a lot of money - look at this http://www.cnet.com/news/still-more-...-are-the-same/

and then go here and take everyone out for a good dinner with all the money you saved (or buy more AV equipment)

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10240

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000

Last edited by bob brennan; Today at 03:44 AM.
post #5523 of 5538 Old Today, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Set-up Question

Looking into getting an Oppo 103D. I had a question about integrating it into my set-up to take advantage of the Darbee. My current set-up consists of:

- PS4
- DirectTV Box
- Xbox360

Inputs all feed into a Marantz SR5007 receiver with a single HDMI out to a BenQ W1070 PJ. Marantz outputs audio via an amp to 5.1 set of speakers.

Would it make sense/be possible to have the video out HDMI on the Marantz feed into the Oppo and then do dual HDMI to have the Oppo audio feed into the receiver (via HDMI) and the Oppo video would output to the single HDMI that goes to the PJ? (run-on sentence)

Is this the right way to get Darbee on all my sources? Worth it? Appreciate any responses. Thanks.
post #5524 of 5538 Old Today, 09:49 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 896
^ You may not want to feed the PS4 through the OPPO as the video processing will add some lag that could be a problem with real-time games.

HDMI from the Marantz to the OPPO and also from the OPPO to the Marantz is an HDMI loop. This may not work due to HDMI copy protection getting confused. It depends on how the Marantz has implemented its HDMI. Unless someone here with your model of Marantz has already tried this, it's a gamble.

The alternative is to feed your sources directly into the OPPO (perhaps via an HDMI switch), and then out from the OPPO for audio and video either via single HDMI through the Marantz or dual HDMI as you describe.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5525 of 5538 Old Today, 10:39 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ You may not want to feed the PS4 through the OPPO as the video processing will add some lag that could be a problem with real-time games.
Just in case it wasn't obvious, the same applies to the XBOX.
post #5526 of 5538 Old Today, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Makes sense. So maybe I do:

- Xbox and PS4 directly into the the AVR (current state)
- DirectTv into the Oppo

Then run the Oppo into the AVR and continue to let the AVR output over a single HDMI to the PJ. Couple questions here:

- Will there be any audio issues with running DirectTv though the Oppo to the AVR? Assuming it just passes through to the AVR, but want to check.

- Do I need to worry about the Darbee video adjustments interacting with the AVR at all when I run through there?

If those two things will be alright i think I'll be all set. Really appreciate the help.

PS - Do you guys think the Darbee adjustments to DirectTV will be beneficial and worth the extra expense of the BDP-103D over a basic blu-ray player?

Update: Thanks everyone for your responses! Going to do this thing.

Last edited by tjsmith82; Today at 12:42 PM.
post #5527 of 5538 Old Today, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Roku 3 and a media server computer. I run those two into the front and back inputs of the Oppo and switch between them using the Oppo instead of my AV Receiver. The Oppo is wired to the receiver and the receiver to the screen. Everything is Darbyfied. Originally, I had the output of the Oppo going split HDMI to the screen and to the AV Receiver, but I missed being able to see the on screen cues from the AV receiver for volume, etc.

The Darbee definitely helps my Roku box, and the MKVs on my server too.
post #5528 of 5538 Old Today, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmith82 View Post
...Do you guys think the Darbee adjustments to DirectTV will be beneficial and worth the extra expense of the BDP-103D over a basic blu-ray player?
Unequivocal yes. 👍

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #5529 of 5538 Old Today, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My Oppo 103d is connected by tv hdmi to avr and Oppo to avr. Now if I want to connect my Diretv what is the best method?
post #5530 of 5538 Old Today, 01:30 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Connect the DirecTV HDMI to the HDMI Back Input of the OPPO 103D. Select to view it using the Input button on the OPPO remote (upper right) and selecting from the menu that pops up on screen.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5531 of 5538 Old Today, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmith82 View Post
PS - Do you guys think the Darbee adjustments to DirectTV will be beneficial and worth the extra expense of the BDP-103D over a basic blu-ray player?.
Honestly, no. The Oppo is a full featured universal player that offers far more than Darbee processing. If none of those other features really matter to you, and all you want to do is spin BD discs, then almost any BD player will do. There are many good reasons for getting an Oppo, but I don't happen to think this is one of them.
post #5532 of 5538 Old Today, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
^ Connect the DirecTV HDMI to the HDMI Back Input of the OPPO 103D. Select to view it using the Input button on the OPPO remote (upper right) and selecting from the menu that pops up on screen.
--Bob
Thank you!
post #5533 of 5538 Old Today, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post
The Oppo HDMI cable is an EXCELLENT cable - no need to replace!

Save yourself a lot of money - look at this

and then go here and take everyone out for a good dinner with all the money you saved (or buy more AV equipment)
Thank you for the info

I guess I find it very hard to believe that all HDMI cables are equal in quality when they range in price from $2 - $2000.
That's a totally different story though and there's probably threads all over the net about it.

I'll take your advice and stick with the OPPO cable and also give that Monoprice cable a test drive

Thank you!
post #5534 of 5538 Old Today, 02:06 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Trust us. The $2000 cables are manufactured in the sure and certain knowledge that a potential purchaser is born approximately every 60 seconds.
--Bob

post #5535 of 5538 Old Today, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Honestly, no. The Oppo is a full featured universal player that offers far more than Darbee processing. If none of those other features really matter to you, and all you want to do is spin BD discs, then almost any BD player will do. There are many good reasons for getting an Oppo, but I don't happen to think this is one of them.
Fully agreed on the other virtues of the Oppo, but respectfully couldn't disagree more on the value of the Darbee algorithm all by itself.

Tjsmith asked specifically about the Darbee effect on a satellite receiver feed. With our PJ, the enhancement on satellite TV is a key benefit, particularly on high production value programming, like Game of Thrones, which really sparkles with the Darbee. We can't watch that great CGI, or scenery like Daenerys of the House Targaryen, without it. IMHO. YMMV.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #5536 of 5538 Old Today, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you for the info

I guess I find it very hard to believe that all HDMI cables are equal in quality when they range in price from $2 - $2000.
That's a totally different story though and there's probably threads all over the net about it.

I'll take your advice and stick with the OPPO cable and also give that Monoprice cable a test drive

Thank you!
And you can buy a bridge in Brooklyn for a very good price - they make $ 2,000.00 HDMI cables and speaker wire a $3,000 a foot because there are people who buy them!! Read just about every evaluation done by CNET, Sound & Vision, etc. and they all agree "all HDMI cables are they same" - they only folks who disagree are the people making HDMI cables @ $547.39 a foot!

PS: you don't have to buy me dinner for saving you all this money!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #5537 of 5538 Old Today, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
^ Trust us. The $2000 cables are manufactured in the sure and certain knowledge that a potential purchaser is born approximately every 60 seconds.
--Bob
Yes, I'm sure you're right. I trust the experts here If they can get away with making a zillion % mark up then I'm sure they will!
I've just come across a Wireworld HDMI cable that's $11,000!! Now that is CRAZY money for a cable!

Anyway, sorry for the OT.
And thank you all for your help
post #5538 of 5538 Old Today, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure you're right. I trust the experts here If they can get away with making a zillion % mark up then I'm sure they will!
I've just come across a Wireworld HDMI cable that's $11,000!! Now that is CRAZY money for a cable!

Anyway, sorry for the OT.
And thank you all for your help
Welcome to the forum - I could write volumes on what I have learned on AVS!!! Stick around and you will be amazed at what you will learn!
obagley likes this.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page