Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 193 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5761 of 5773 Old 11-20-2014, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I need suggestions on how to best hook this thing up. I have 3 sources, a Directv Genie, Xbox360, and the Oppo. I use a Pioneer Elite SC-61 receiver, and my video is a Epson 5030ub. Originally the plan was to just run the xbox and directv genie to the inputs of the oppo then the output directly to the projector and TOSlink to the pioneer. I just realized that the second input on the oppo is on the front. I dont really like the idea of having a permanent source plugged into the front. So my thought is to run the genie and xbox into the pioneer. then pioneer out into the rear input on the oppo. then oppo out1 directly to the Epson. then hdmi out 2 from the oppo to the pioneer for audio only. Does this sound right? or should i do Toslink from the oppo to the Pioneer for Blu-ray audio? I'm open to any other suggestions. But this keeps my options open as to adding more sources in the future as everything that plugs into the pioneer will go through the oppo.

Almost thinking i should have just got the regular 103 and a Darblet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5762 of 5773 Old 11-20-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
The thing is, it's not so simple as to just roll back the app to a previous version.
When Oppo, or any other developer, submits an app to the App Store,
there is a waiting period that could last for days (or even sometimes weeks) until Apple "approves" the update.
So that delay makes it quite difficult to be able to roll back to a previous version,
since by the time Apple approves the rollback, the fixed version could already be done.

FWIW, Oppo is definitely working on a new version to fix the bugs with the current revision,
but again even if that fix gets pushed for an official update, we are still stuck with waiting for Apple
to approve the update for public download.
Dave, I think Apple approves "bug fixes" very quickly . For instance, I remember seeing the Yelp app go through 3 different revisions from Jun 30th - July 3rd(7.9.0 - 7.9.2). What I'm uncertain about is whether Apple gives higher preference to larger companies for approval and release of ios apps.
post #5763 of 5773 Old 11-20-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 176
^Yes I'm sure that some larger companies get preferential treatment.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #5764 of 5773 Old 11-20-2014, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I posted the following on the Samsung UNXXH7150 Owner's Thread, twice, to no avail. There were no replies. So, I thought I'd try here. Here goes:

QUESTION:

A while back I asked about persistent red, blurry outlines around faces and hairlines. I notice this particularly during darker scenes with lots of motion and panning. I started to really notice it while watching episodes of The Newsroom, Season 2 on Blu ray.

I've tested Blu ray discs that I've noticed this red outline throughout on several different players and the outlines are always there, during the same scenes. Not all Blu ray discs have this reddish hue though.

The odd thing is that while streaming from Netflix or Hulu (which runs through the Oppo to the TV), the red outlines are not present (I A/B'd Rocky through Netflix, against the Blu ray, and the Blu ray is considerably "hotter").

I am running an Oppo BDP-103D directly to a Samsung UN65H7150 (which has been calibrated using the Spears & Munsil calibration discs). Nothing fancy, but the settings are good and sometimes the quality just isn't.

Color space on the Samsung is set to AUTO. Color space on the Oppo is set to YCbCr 4:4:4 (with all other settings to <0>).

What could be causing this?

Thanks again...
post #5765 of 5773 Old 11-20-2014, 11:43 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyTyler View Post
I posted the following on the Samsung UNXXH7150 Owner's Thread, twice, to no avail. There were no replies. So, I thought I'd try here. Here goes:

QUESTION:

A while back I asked about persistent red, blurry outlines around faces and hairlines. I notice this particularly during darker scenes with lots of motion and panning. I started to really notice it while watching episodes of The Newsroom, Season 2 on Blu ray.

I've tested Blu ray discs that I've noticed this red outline throughout on several different players and the outlines are always there, during the same scenes. Not all Blu ray discs have this reddish hue though.

The odd thing is that while streaming from Netflix or Hulu (which runs through the Oppo to the TV), the red outlines are not present (I A/B'd Rocky through Netflix, against the Blu ray, and the Blu ray is considerably "hotter").

I am running an Oppo BDP-103D directly to a Samsung UN65H7150 (which has been calibrated using the Spears & Munsil calibration discs). Nothing fancy, but the settings are good and sometimes the quality just isn't.

Color space on the Samsung is set to AUTO. Color space on the Oppo is set to YCbCr 4:4:4 (with all other settings to <0>).

What could be causing this?

Thanks again...
The only thing I can imagine on the player side would be strange encoding on the disc. The studio trying to feature strange encoding is SONY with xvYCC on some discs.

Could you make a list of discs that do and do not have the problem and see if there is a pattern?

If not that, it must be some setting in the display. Turn off all video extras. To my dismay I discovered long-forgotten menus with video controls on my Samsung when I started using extra inputs.

-Bill
post #5766 of 5773 Old 11-20-2014, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The previous version crashed on startup for me too. I deleted the app and redownloaded it three times now. I don't think they really know what they are doing in the app department, at least for iPhones. The app for my HA-1 works though. Why they have multiple different apps is beyond me. They should just make one and have it support all their products.
post #5767 of 5773 Old 11-20-2014, 11:48 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 945
^ Assuming the calibration charts (Spears & Munsil) do NOT show the problem, then the thing you have to look for is processing that's happening for MOVING images.

The usual culprit here would be Motion Smoothing "enhancement" processing happening in the display. If that gets out of control you can get artifacts. Look for settings related to that in the Display and turn those OFF to see if things improve.

This stuff may be lurking in the background due to your choice of Picture Mode in the display. You should be using something with a name like Movies or Cinema. If you are using something like Dynamic, Vibrant, Games, Sports, or Scorch Your Eyeballs, change that and then REDO your calibration settings using the calibration disc. Note that the Picture Adjustment controls in the OPPO should all be left on their Factory Default (0) values -- i.e., make any needed adjustments using the controls in your Display.

Also, leave Darbee OFF while you are adjusting this. For normal viewing, avoid using a high Darbee processing value. 30 to 35 is a good "one size fits all" setting. If you've got it cranked up you can also see artifacts depending upon the content.

If Picture Mode and Motion Smoothing changes don't fix it, then double-check the other "enhancement" settings in the Display. Since your problem seems to be with colors, look for "enhancement" settings related to colors or flesh tones. Again, turn those OFF and recheck your calibration afterwards.

If still no joy, do some checking on-line to see if your display is known to produce motion blur. This is particularly a problem with LCD displays. Basically the pixels don't turn on and off fast enough, so as things move they leave a trail behind them. If your Display is known for that, there may be settings (or a firmware update) that might help. Check back in the owners thread for it, asking about motion blur and how to minimize it.

Again, I'm going on your statement that this only shows with MOVING images. If you are seeing halos around edges in NON-moving images, then that suggests you have Sharpness or Detail Enhancement cranked up too high in the Display. Again, this can also happen due to picking the wrong Picture Mode. If you are not sure which Picture Mode is the one for Movies/Cinema, look for the Picture Mode that produces the DARKEST and SOFTEST looking image. That is almost certainly the correct one. Select that and then be sure to REDO your calibration settings as they typically change between Picture Modes.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5768 of 5773 Old 11-20-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
The only thing I can imagine on the player side would be strange encoding on the disc. The studio trying to feature strange encoding is SONY with xvYCC on some discs.

Could you make a list of discs that do and do not have the problem and see if there is a pattern?

If not that, it must be some setting in the display. Turn off all video extras. To my dismay I discovered long-forgotten menus with video controls on my Samsung when I started using extra inputs.

-Bill
First, thank you for replying.

I will start to keep track of those that do and don't show the red blur. The one disc that I keep going back to is the Godfather (the Coppola restoration version). I notice this right off the bat with the opening scene around hands and hairlines. It's always the same however, pausing on certain moments in that scene shows nothing (which it wouldn't, I guess).

Regarding the TV: all settings that I know of are off. I don't tend to use Dynamic Contrast or Black Tone or even the Cinema Black. So, I'll keep messing with it and see what happens, but there's a part of me that feels content has a lot to do with this.

Thanks again Bill!
post #5769 of 5773 Old 11-20-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Assuming the calibration charts (Spears & Munsil) do NOT show the problem, then the thing you have to look for is processing that's happening for MOVING images.

The usual culprit here would be Motion Smoothing "enhancement" processing happening in the display. If that gets out of control you can get artifacts. Look for settings related to that in the Display and turn those OFF to see if things improve.

This stuff may be lurking in the background due to your choice of Picture Mode in the display. You should be using something with a name like Movies or Cinema. If you are using something like Dynamic, Vibrant, Games, Sports, or Scorch Your Eyeballs, change that and then REDO your calibration settings using the calibration disc. Note that the Picture Adjustment controls in the OPPO should all be left on their Factory Default (0) values -- i.e., make any needed adjustments using the controls in your Display.

Also, leave Darbee OFF while you are adjusting this. For normal viewing, avoid using a high Darbee processing value. 30 to 35 is a good "one size fits all" setting. If you've got it cranked up you can also see artifacts depending upon the content.

If Picture Mode and Motion Smoothing changes don't fix it, then double-check the other "enhancement" settings in the Display. Since your problem seems to be with colors, look for "enhancement" settings related to colors or flesh tones. Again, turn those OFF and recheck your calibration afterwards.

If still no joy, do some checking on-line to see if your display is known to produce motion blur. This is particularly a problem with LCD displays. Basically the pixels don't turn on and off fast enough, so as things move they leave a trail behind them. If your Display is known for that, there may be settings (or a firmware update) that might help. Check back in the owners thread for it, asking about motion blur and how to minimize it.

Again, I'm going on your statement that this only shows with MOVING images. If you are seeing halos around edges in NON-moving images, then that suggests you have Sharpness or Detail Enhancement cranked up too high in the Display. Again, this can also happen due to picking the wrong Picture Mode. If you are not sure which Picture Mode is the one for Movies/Cinema, look for the Picture Mode that produces the DARKEST and SOFTEST looking image. That is almost certainly the correct one. Select that and then be sure to REDO your calibration settings as they typically change between Picture Modes.
--Bob
I actually started from scratch this morning just for kicks. With the Oppo, I don't dig into the Darbee or any of the other enhancements (I like that they're there, but I don't use them). I use it for its amazing playback quality and I've read enough here to know that <0> is reference.

Regarding the TV: I use the Movie picture mode. I calibrate to that with all other enhancing options off using the Spears & Munsil disc (I really prefer it over the Disney WOW set). I will say that Auto Motion Plus is usually set to CLEAR. I went back, watched a scene from a Blu ray that I know displays the red blur and went through all the motion options on the TV. Some clearly made the red blur more noticeable than others, but for the most part, during that same scene, the red is pretty hyper (however, setting Auto Motion Plus to OFF actually made it more obvious).

I even hooked up another Samsung TV...just to see what would happen. The reds were very red and the blur wasn't as "hot" but it was still there. That other Samsung is a very basic, no frills 50" (kind of comparing apples to oranges I guess, but I wanted to see if possibly it was content-related). But it was still very obvious that the reds were saturated.

And Bob, yes, it is only during very fast moving or fast panning scenes. Everything else, static scenes and such, look really great.

I will continue to work with it. As I mentioned to Bill, there's a part of me that feels it might be somewhat content related(?). I tend to watch older films on Blu ray and it's those films where I notice it the most (except for The Newsroom, Season 2 - the dizzying panning and quick edits bring the red out too).

Thanks again, Bob. I really appreciate the reply.
post #5770 of 5773 Old 11-20-2014, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
un freaking real! Just got my system all set up.. had to demo the BDP-103D and darbee mode with Oblivion on blu-ray. All I can say is WOW!!!! was a pain to get my MX-980 programmed right to switch the oppo to HDMI in for my other sources, but got it working decent in the end. Anyone who has any doubts about buying this player--- JUST BUY IT!
post #5771 of 5773 Old 11-20-2014, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just recently started having trouble playing back SACDs in my 103D. I don't own any but I periodically rent them from my local public library. I have the SACD output set to PCM over the HDMI 1 output (I also tried the "auto" setting and that didn't fix it). When I tried playing a SACD the other night I heard no sound, and when I looked at the display screen on my Anthem receiver it says no signal is detected.

What gives ? I've not changed any configuration settings and I've never had any problems playing SACDs in the past. I tried a different SACD recording; same thing. The 103D is playing them; the info on it's display screen says multi-channel PCM.

Does anyone have an idea ? If I switch to a standard CD or blu-ray movie disc, everything works fine through the same HDMI1 output to my Anthem receiver.
My 103D has the latest firmware, BDP 10x-77-0827.

Bill
post #5772 of 5773 Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
^ It blows my mind how Oppo engineers could have released this version of the app, considering how buggy it is. Although the fix may be complex, getting the app to malfunction and crash is very easy. It's as if the engineers completely bypassed the "test" phase of the new build before releasing it.
Once long long ago I developed my first software for the original 8086 PC. I did extensive testing before I handed it over to a secretary for testing. As soon as I got back to my office she called me. The program had crashed.

The reason it crashed was that she forgot to turn on the printer, and the DBase software package I was using did no device checking. The only solution was to write an assembler error checking subroutine to check the status of the printer. I entered main frame programming after Get and Put macro commands had been added to the assembler language that I was using. In the PC world there was no device checking included.

My excuse was that it was very early days for writing PC applications.

More than likely the OPPO engineers overlooked some new factor that wasn't caught by their normal error checking procedures.
post #5773 of 5773 Old Today, 12:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Is there a known issue with the network connections on the 103d? The player is brand new and I am unable to maintain a decent connection speed for more than 10 minutes when playing something thru Vudu. Even when trying the Vudu network speed test, it just recommends SD streaming speed, but mostly kicks back network issue and can't test network speed. This is with both wired and wireless. I have also eliminated any possible LAN issues, as all other wifi devices are working normally with speed of 50-85Mb/s down.

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: Final Price Drop ~ BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~ 3-yr Extended Warranty Included
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page