gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
I like to think that I know a lot about this hobby, but the deeper I get into it, the more I realize just how much I don't know. Now with that being said, here's my question. What is the advantage of connecting the oppo via analog cables? Will the sound be better than connecting via hdmi? I can hardly wait to get this player. I hope FedEx comes early on Tuesday.
It depends on what you're connect it to. A HDMI connection will use the DAC in the device you have connected the Oppo to. Using the analog outputs will use the DAC in the Oppo. So assuming no other processing is involved (see below), it comes down to whether the Oppo or the AVR has the better DAC.

If you want to use things like room correction in your AVR, then using the analog outputs doesn't make sense because they would need to be converted back to digital in the AVR, processed, and then run through the AVR's DAC. Most AVR's can't do this on multichannel analog inputs, only on stereo analog inputs.

Note that "DAC" as used above is referring to both the DAC chip itself and the implementation of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5792 of 5815 Old 11-24-2014, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
It depends on what you're connect it to. A HDMI connection will use the DAC in the device you have connected the Oppo to. Using the analog outputs will use the DAC in the Oppo. So assuming no other processing is involved (see below), it comes down to whether the Oppo or the AVR has the better DAC.

If you want to use things like room correction in your AVR, then using the analog outputs doesn't make sense because they would need to be converted back to digital in the AVR, processed, and then run through the AVR's DAC. Most AVR's can't do this on multichannel analog inputs, only on stereo analog inputs.

Note that "DAC" as used above is referring to both the DAC chip itself and the implementation of it.
I'm going to run it through my Yamaha 2010. Since I do use the room correction I guess HDMI is the best way to go. I wasn't sure if there was some other reason to use analog. Thanks for your reply gsr.
post #5793 of 5815 Old 11-24-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hey Guy`s ,

Please don`t take this the wrong way , but... why buy a 103D if you are just going to use it as a video processor , why not buy a Darblet ?

That way you could save extra wear and tear on your 103D.

I have one , and just use as a dvd/BD player and cd/sacd player.

It`s just I have been following this thread and read how some of you folks are hooking up HDMI cables to even the front input .

Anyway , I wish you all a :

Safe and Happy Holiday Season.

Have fun , but live

G. 
post #5794 of 5815 Old 11-24-2014, 11:21 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post
Hey Guy`s ,

Please don`t take this the wrong way , but... why buy a 103D if you are just going to use it as a video processor , why not buy a Darblet ?

That way you could save extra wear and tear on your 103D.

I have one , and just use as a dvd/BD player and cd/sacd player.

It`s just I have been following this thread and read how some of you folks are hooking up HDMI cables to even the front input .
One answer is that a BDP-103 + a standalone Darblet costs a lot more than a BDP-103D.
post #5795 of 5815 Old 11-24-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Another reason is that it is more stable in terms of HDMI handshaking than a Darblet.

Last edited by curlyjive; 11-24-2014 at 12:10 PM.
post #5796 of 5815 Old 11-24-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok , thanks for answering my question !!

HH

Gary 
post #5797 of 5815 Old 11-24-2014, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Problem: No rewind capability with dvds.
Am a proud owner of a 103D, 103 and a 95. My 103D freezes up if I try to rewind a dvd. Have to open the drawer to get it to work.
With blu rays it rewinds fine. All other functions work with dvds. Replaced the remote batteries and unplugged it but to no avail. Haven't called OPPO. Has anyone else had this problem?
jedi29 likes this.
post #5798 of 5815 Old 11-24-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiophileWalt View Post
Am a proud owner of a 103D, 103 and a 95. My 103D freezes up if I try to rewind a dvd. Have to open the drawer to get it to work.
With blu rays it rewinds fine. All other functions work with dvds. Replaced the remote batteries and unplugged it but to no avail. Haven't called OPPO. Has anyone else had this problem?
Rewind capability is only possible with video tape. You mean play DVD's in reverse.
post #5799 of 5815 Old 11-24-2014, 01:54 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiophileWalt View Post
Have you updated firmware recently? This was reported fixed in 77-0827:

Quote:
Resolved a playback issue with regular DVD discs found on 75-0515 firmware. Customers reported that if the "DVD 24p Conversion" was set to "On", pressing the REV (rewind) button within the DVD playback could cause the player to immediately freeze up. This issue has been resolved in this firmware.
-Bill
post #5800 of 5815 Old 11-24-2014, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just want to provide an update to the post I submitted on 11/20 wherein I said my 103D stopped outputting sound over HDMI only when playing SACDs. I had the day off today so I took it to my local dealer. He connected it to several systems and it was able to play the SACDs that I had brought along from home. So he proved that my 103D was able to output SACD sound decoded to multi channel PCM.

We then talked about the rest of my system and I mentioned that I had also been trying to upload a new ARC2 measurement to my MRX510 receiver but the upload had been failing. He suggested that might be the root cause of not getting any sound from a SACD (my MRX510 would display "no signal detected" while a SACD was playing). Long story short, it was the ARC2 upload issues. My solution there was to unplug the MRX510 from the wall outlet, wait a few minutes, plug it back in and then turn it on. Basically a AC power on reset or hard reboot. With that done, I was able to complete the ARC2 upload to the MRX510. I'm getting sound now from SACDs and I'm a happy camper once again.

Bill
post #5801 of 5815 Old 11-24-2014, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sorry for the OT! but.....

I'm absolutely astounded by OPPO's customer service.

Just last month I received an OPPO region free DVD in the mail with a letter saying "Thank you very much for being part of the OPPO revolution and making it what it is today. Please find enclosed a DVD which unlocks your player for DVD multi region. When you upgrade your firmware you may lose the multi region function, if you do, put this DVD in your disc drive and it will unlock it again" How cool is that!

And then today I receive this in the mail, a little OPPO figurine, for completing an online survey on the OPPO 103D.
I'm seriously impressed!

Anyone with any doubts on the customer service offered by OPPO, disregard them.
OPPO has, without a doubt, got the best customer service I have ever received from a company.

post #5802 of 5815 Old 11-24-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by obagley View Post
And then today I receive this in the mail, a little OPPO figurine, for completing an online survey on the OPPO 103D.
Damn shame I live in Euroland

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #5803 of 5815 Old 11-24-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I want one
post #5804 of 5815 Old 11-24-2014, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tang7969 View Post
I am sorry for asking this question as I'm sure it has been asked before many times. I am getting a 3D Tv but my Pioneer SC 25 is not 3D. How do I hook this up using HDMI. I want to run my Directv Genie through my 103D. Thank you
Can anyone help me with this question? Thanks

-46" SAMSUNG-ENERGY RC-50'S-ENERGY RC-LCR-ENERGY RC-10'S-PSA XV15se-PIONEER ELITE SC-25-OPPO BDP 103Dhttp://www.avsforum.com/g/a/1459339/default/
post #5805 of 5815 Old 11-24-2014, 04:50 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by tang7969 View Post
Can anyone help me with this question? Thanks
I'm pretty sure this is in the manual. Connect HDMI1 to the display, HDMI2 to the receiver, and set the player to SPLIT A/V. The display will get 3D video and the receiver will get audio.

-Bill
post #5806 of 5815 Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Have you updated firmware recently? This was reported fixed in 77-0827:

-Bill
Bill,
Thanks so much. Thought I had the latest firmware but mine is 05-15. Turned dvd 24p conversion "off" and it works fine. Thanks again.
post #5807 of 5815 Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Now that you mention it , I always wondered why I had to manually rewind my SACD`s?

Regular CD / DVD / Bd_DVD`s all work fine.

Hopefully the next firmware will take care of it .

Later

Me 

_________LLLLOL
post #5808 of 5815 Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
What is the advantage of connecting the oppo via analog cables? Will the sound be better than connecting via hdmi?
The reason to use analogue outputs is if your amp doesn't have a DAC built in and you need to use the one in the player. I have an AV Receiver so I output through HDMI and pass the signal through the DAC in the receiver. If I had a bare bones amp, I would need to do it the other way. Either way, the results are pretty much the same.
post #5809 of 5815 Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys need help...my oppo 103d is acting up.....not sure what is the issue but nothing is wrong from hdmi 1....no video or audio is coming from hdmi1..
it was working fine with cdmi 1 to denon x4000 receiver but all a sudden nothing works...just to troubleshoot i tried connecting hdmi1 to projector and tv but it doesn't work but hdmi2 out works....please advise

Definitive bp7002 l/r-clr 2500 center-bp2x rear-supercube 1
AV8801/Emotiva xpa-5/oppo 103d, butterkicker BK-KIT-4
post #5810 of 5815 Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksarkar View Post
Guys need help...my oppo 103d is acting up.....not sure what is the issue but nothing is wrong from hdmi 1....no video or audio is coming from hdmi1..
it was working fine with cdmi 1 to denon x4000 receiver but all a sudden nothing works...just to troubleshoot i tried connecting hdmi1 to projector and tv but it doesn't work but hdmi2 out works....please advise
The most common reason for loss of HDMI signal is simply that the plug has come loose in the socket at one end or the other. HDMI is only friction fit, and it just takes a small shift of the plug to screw things up.

Next, make sure you are using the correct sockets. You may have the HDMI 1 output on the back panel confused with the HDMI BACK Input socket for example.

If no easy answer there, use the Resolution button on the remote, along with the Up/Down Arrows an Enter to change the output Resolution to 480p. 480p (not 480i) is the simplest HDMI signal. You'll see the Resolution offered in the Front Panel Display. If that works, then try 1080i, then 1080p again. If only 1080p is failing, then check your HDMI settings for HDMI 1 (using video on the HDMI 2 output). Turn Deep Color OFF, and set Color Space to YCbCr 4:4:4 (the normal, default settings for HDMI).

I'm assuming you are testing the HDMI 2 output to the SAME TV. If testing to a different TV, then also check the 1080p/24 Output setting, the 4K Output setting and the TV System setting. You may have one of those set to something that works with one TV but not the other.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; Yesterday at 03:19 PM.
post #5811 of 5815 Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksarkar View Post
If all else fails, unplug the player for a minute.
post #5812 of 5815 Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
I'm pretty sure this is in the manual. Connect HDMI1 to the display, HDMI2 to the receiver, and set the player to SPLIT A/V. The display will get 3D video and the receiver will get audio.

-Bill
Thanks for the response...i did try that but forgot to mention and no luck

Definitive bp7002 l/r-clr 2500 center-bp2x rear-supercube 1
AV8801/Emotiva xpa-5/oppo 103d, butterkicker BK-KIT-4
post #5813 of 5815 Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Double check that you have not confused the HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 sockets. It is easy to do.

If that gets you audio but no *3D* video (where regular video is OK), try setting 3D Output to Forced.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; Yesterday at 07:34 PM.
post #5814 of 5815 Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Just received my Oppo 103D today. When I set it up everything appeared to be working fine. Once I set up my Harmony one to operate everything I started receiving an error message about not getting an ARC signal. Long story short, the Harmony set the power on for the Oppo to 250000ms. This caused the player to get confused about the signal. Once I changed the setting to 500ms all is well. I spent a good two hours figuring that out. If I didn't read forums, I would have been completely lost. I wonder how the average consumer deals with all of this technology.
post #5815 of 5815 Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the replies about my analog versus HDMI question. Again, these forums are a huge help.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page