gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
I like to think that I know a lot about this hobby, but the deeper I get into it, the more I realize just how much I don't know. Now with that being said, here's my question. What is the advantage of connecting the oppo via analog cables? Will the sound be better than connecting via hdmi? I can hardly wait to get this player. I hope FedEx comes early on Tuesday.
It depends on what you're connect it to. A HDMI connection will use the DAC in the device you have connected the Oppo to. Using the analog outputs will use the DAC in the Oppo. So assuming no other processing is involved (see below), it comes down to whether the Oppo or the AVR has the better DAC.

If you want to use things like room correction in your AVR, then using the analog outputs doesn't make sense because they would need to be converted back to digital in the AVR, processed, and then run through the AVR's DAC. Most AVR's can't do this on multichannel analog inputs, only on stereo analog inputs.

Note that "DAC" as used above is referring to both the DAC chip itself and the implementation of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5792 of 5797 Old Today, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
It depends on what you're connect it to. A HDMI connection will use the DAC in the device you have connected the Oppo to. Using the analog outputs will use the DAC in the Oppo. So assuming no other processing is involved (see below), it comes down to whether the Oppo or the AVR has the better DAC.

If you want to use things like room correction in your AVR, then using the analog outputs doesn't make sense because they would need to be converted back to digital in the AVR, processed, and then run through the AVR's DAC. Most AVR's can't do this on multichannel analog inputs, only on stereo analog inputs.

Note that "DAC" as used above is referring to both the DAC chip itself and the implementation of it.
I'm going to run it through my Yamaha 2010. Since I do use the room correction I guess HDMI is the best way to go. I wasn't sure if there was some other reason to use analog. Thanks for your reply gsr.
post #5793 of 5797 Old Today, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hey Guy`s ,

Please don`t take this the wrong way , but... why buy a 103D if you are just going to use it as a video processor , why not buy a Darblet ?

That way you could save extra wear and tear on your 103D.

I have one , and just use as a dvd/BD player and cd/sacd player.

It`s just I have been following this thread and read how some of you folks are hooking up HDMI cables to even the front input .

Anyway , I wish you all a :

Safe and Happy Holiday Season.

Have fun , but live

G. 
post #5794 of 5797 Old Today, 11:21 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post
Hey Guy`s ,

Please don`t take this the wrong way , but... why buy a 103D if you are just going to use it as a video processor , why not buy a Darblet ?

That way you could save extra wear and tear on your 103D.

I have one , and just use as a dvd/BD player and cd/sacd player.

It`s just I have been following this thread and read how some of you folks are hooking up HDMI cables to even the front input .
One answer is that a BDP-103 + a standalone Darblet costs a lot more than a BDP-103D.
post #5795 of 5797 Old Today, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Another reason is that it is more stable in terms of HDMI handshaking than a Darblet.

Last edited by curlyjive; Today at 12:10 PM.
post #5796 of 5797 Old Today, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Ok , thanks for answering my question !!

HH

Gary 
post #5797 of 5797 Unread Today, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Problem: No rewind capability with dvds.
Am a proud owner of a 103D, 103 and a 95. My 103D freezes up if I try to rewind a dvd. Have to open the drawer to get it to work.
With blu rays it rewinds fine. All other functions work with dvds. Replaced the remote batteries and unplugged it but to no avail. Haven't called OPPO. Has anyone else had this problem?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com