post #5821 of 5834 Old 11-26-2014, 11:37 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerdawg View Post
Will I see a noticeable difference routing my DTV box through the OPPO?
I'm always metaphysically confused by that type of question. No one knows what you will see.

Some people like it a lot, other claim they can't tell the difference.

The majority opinion is that Darbee is best with better quality material like a good Blu-ray. It is of less help on a standard definition source like DVD, or overly compressed streams.

-Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5822 of 5834 Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
I'm always metaphysically confused by that type of question. No one knows what you will see.

Some people like it a lot, other claim they can't tell the difference.

The majority opinion is that Darbee is best with better quality material like a good Blu-ray. It is of less help on a standard definition source like DVD, or overly compressed streams.

-Bill
Thxs, Bill I was asking if the upscalling done by the OPPO would improve the quality of Directv signal to my Plasma regardless of whether I use Darbee resulting in a better picture.
post #5823 of 5834 Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 956
^ Probably yes. The video processing in cable and satellite TV boxes is notoriously bad.

To get the best advantage of passing the signal through the OPPO you need to set the set top box to output the same thing that's coming in on the channel you are watching -- usually called "Native" output. That would be 480i for an SD channel and either 720p or 1080i for an HD channel according to the channel and the program. This lets the OPPO do the rest of the work of turning that into 1080p output.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5824 of 5834 Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Probably yes. The video processing in cable and satellite TV boxes is notoriously bad.

To get the best advantage of passing the signal through the OPPO you need to set the set top box to output the same thing that's coming in on the channel you are watching -- usually called "Native" output. That would be 480i for an SD channel and either 720p or 1080i for an HD channel according to the channel and the program. This lets the OPPO do the rest of the work of turning that into 1080p output.
--Bob
Does the Oppo need to be on when you do this or does it pass through without it being on? Also is there a setting for the oppo when you do this? I rarely watch SD channels, but when I do, do I then need to change the set top box setting or leave it set for 1080i which is what I primarily watch?
post #5825 of 5834 Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Long story short: I just sold my MidWright Oppo 105 to get the new ModWright Elyse DAC to use with a Oppo 103D. I got the 103D first and tried it out. Huge buzzing sound with no soundtrack. Called Oppo and was told it was my cable which is causing a ground loop issue.. Disconnected my cable box, still buzz sounds. Oppo sent me another 103D, same problem. I did not have this problem with my 105. Tried out my 5 year od LG BD and no buzz, tried out a new Marantz BD7005, no buzz. I might have order another 105, but I do not need the audio because of my DAC. Any ideas? My system does not like the 103D.
post #5826 of 5834 Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am having problem with my 103 D I try BOURNE ULTIMATUM BD and it only giving me special future voice and
it did not giving me real Movie dialogue only director commentary it happen in English 5.1 but if you choose french 5.1
it did not gave that i try Die Hard 2 it same by default it take commentary mode if i choose to deactivate that mode it did not
give any sound.....
post #5827 of 5834 Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
Quote:

--Bob
Does the Oppo need to be on when you do this or does it pass through without it being on? Also is there a setting for the oppo when you do this? I rarely watch SD channels, but when I do, do I then need to change the set top box setting or leave it set for 1080i which is what I primarily watch?
Yes, the OPPO must be On, and the appropriate HDMI Input selected.

Better set top boxes allow you to set "Native" output, which sends the desired, unprocessed video to the OPPO automatically -- at the expense of a new HDMI handshake when you change channels to a new channel using a different resolution.
--Bob
post #5828 of 5834 Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Better set top boxes allow you to set "Native" output...
--Bob
Bob, my Bell HD PVR will only output 720p or 1080i for HD. Which is best to use?
post #5829 of 5834 Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhobi View Post
I am having problem with my 103 D I try BOURNE ULTIMATUM BD and it only giving me special future voice and
it did not giving me real Movie dialogue only director commentary it happen in English 5.1 but if you choose french 5.1
it did not gave that i try Die Hard 2 it same by default it take commentary mode if i choose to deactivate that mode it did not
give any sound.....
How are you selecting the audio track? Via the disc's own menu or by using the player's audio popup control?

-Bill
post #5830 of 5834 Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by valvaholic View Post
Quote:
Better set top boxes allow you to set "Native" output...
--Bob
Bob, my Bell HD PVR will only output 720p or 1080i for HD. Which is best to use?
You could change it on the fly if you learn which stations are broadcast in 720p (most live sports, Fox channels, and Disney channels), but more stations are 1080i, so use that as your default.
--Bob
valvaholic likes this.
post #5831 of 5834 Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bill I did both way but find interesting here my set up Originally audio output optical to bose solo and look like oppo having problem with optical
out audio so i did change set up HDMI out to TV and optical out from TV to Bose Solo and work perfect..But if i choose Oppo optical out to Bose Solo
what ever i do it will give me Mute sound unless i change from remote or screen menu and choose english DD 5.1 it came but in commentary mode.

Though it happen only in BD viewing only if i have Directv or Dish (both HD) not problem at all.
post #5832 of 5834 Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Would getting the 103D be identical to getting the 103 and adding a Darblet or are there subtle differences? Is it the same chip or just the same "technology"?
post #5833 of 5834 Old Yesterday, 11:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainATI View Post
Would getting the 103D be identical to getting the 103 and adding a Darblet or are there subtle differences? Is it the same chip or just the same "technology"?
answered here
Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #5834 of 5834 Old Today, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Question Changing initial default source

When initially powered up the default is Blue=Ray. Since the majority of my viewing is satellite I was wondering if there was any method to make the rear HDMI input the default on power up?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page