Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 199 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #5941 of 6921 Old 12-08-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan aneja View Post
hi
thanks for your reply.. may i ask why don't u use RC? how does the drabee work with the hw40? i have a 133 inch screen will i benefit with 103d as oppose to 103?
I would highly recommend getting the 103D with Darbee for such a large screen.
You can really see the difference it makes on such large displays.
I have tried it on my 46" panel TV, and using it that way, I can easily why some people say it's very subtle and can take it or leave it,
but when I use it on my projection system, it really adds a lot of pop, depth, and perceived sharpness.
Not as much on sat/tv sources and dvd as it does on the best quality Blu-ray,
but when you use it with Blu-ray material that has the very best picture quality, the difference is more than worth it IMHO.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5942 of 6921 Old 12-08-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The remote is basically a flashlight that emits blinks of infrared light. If the room is flooded with other infrared light, the player can have trouble seeing the flashlight. You could try using a stronger flashlight -- e.g., a programmable remote that puts out more light like the Logitech Harmony products -- or you could try reducing the other infrared in the room or shielding the player from it.

Heat sources near the player can be the culprit (infrared light is basically heat). Plasma TVs emit a lot of infrared, and 3D TVs that use infrared emitters to sync up their 3D glasses can also be a problem. Sometimes repositioning the player deeper into a shelf will shield it better.

To see if this is the problem, try unplugging all the other possible sources of infrared and see if the player is more responsive -- judged by front panel displays, say when using the Resolution button.

Also make sure that both batteries in the remote are inserted the correct way around.
--Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
Two shot in the dark suggestions... If you have blu-ray cases stacked around the Oppo, move them. And if the Oppo has slid back, try pulling it back up flush with the edge of the shelf. Sometimes the shelf can shadow the IR signal if it's coming from below.
Just to add to the other replies, I recently had an experience that was very surprising.
I had heard of others say it could cause problems with your gear, but I always thought it was rubbish.
I am referring to fluorescent lighting.
I have used fluorescent bulbs quite a bit and never had issues before, but when I put 4 large fluorescent bulbs
in the ceiling lights of my living room, we had serious issues with the remotes not working when the lights were on.
Once I took the bulbs out or turned the lights off, the problem disappeared.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #5943 of 6921 Old 12-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
You might try importcds.com. Amazon third party sellers and eBay occasionally have deals too. I did like you when I first got my Oppo, but I have cooled off. I found that the quality of the mixing and mastering was too hit or miss to justify the prices. There is a multichannel music board on this site. Check it out.
Thanks sworth, I'll check out the music board. I'll also read reviews before my purchases to try to weed out the poorly mixed SACD's. Ironically , one of my best sounding recordings is a box set MVI recording by Donald Fagen. It was voted the best multitrack recording the year it was released (2003 I believe) and it is a three disc set plus one cd with bonus material all for a whopping $51. I consider it to be a steal if you can find it. It sounds as good as any of the SACD's that I have if not better,
post #5944 of 6921 Old 12-08-2014, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
how good is 103d compared to 103?
This reviewer compared both and found HDMI sound quality to be significantly better with the 103D:

http://translate.google.com/translat...bee-edition-2/
post #5945 of 6921 Old 12-08-2014, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
BDP-103D not seeing SMB share consistantly.

Hello,

For whatever reason my 103D can't see my file server anymore. And other than the standard windows updates I don't know what changed to make it not pick up the filer. I wish there would be a way to force a specific file server but the only option i see is to just scan the network. I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro (have been since I got my 103d) my other systems on the network including two macs pick up the filer but not the player.

Any pointers here?

Thanks much in advance,
Michal

--
----
Michal
post #5946 of 6921 Old 12-09-2014, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by valvaholic View Post
This reviewer compared both and found HDMI sound quality to be significantly better with the 103D:

http://translate.google.com/translat...bee-edition-2/
Hello,
This does not make any sense? The HDMIs sound has nothing to do with the OPPO player? The sound is handled by the processing in the receiver. There would only be a difference with the analog outs.
post #5947 of 6921 Old 12-09-2014, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post
Hello,
This does not make any sense? The HDMIs sound has nothing to do with the OPPO player? The sound is handled by the processing in the receiver.
He thinks the processing prior to the HDMI output is better as well as the HDMI transmitter itself. You've gotta read carefully through there.
post #5948 of 6921 Old 12-09-2014, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Today I got a bd in the mail that is region locked b... it didn't work on the 103d. I had thought the 103d was region free but I'm guessing not? Is there a way to get the 103d to play discs from other regions or am I screwed?
post #5949 of 6921 Old 12-09-2014, 02:49 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
Today I got a bd in the mail that is region locked b... it didn't work on the 103d. I had thought the 103d was region free but I'm guessing not?
It is not. Not allowed in the US.

Quote:
Is there a way to get the 103d to play discs from other regions or am I screwed?
If you do Blu-ray backups, region coding is removed by those procedures.

Else, you need additional hardware. See the FAQ: Region Free Modifications

-Bill
Aras_Volodka likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #5950 of 6921 Old 12-09-2014, 02:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 1101
Quote:
Today I got a bd in the mail that is region locked b... it didn't work on the 103d. I had thought the 103d was region free but I'm guessing not? Is there a way to get the 103d to play discs from other regions or am I screwed?
The players as sold by OPPO Digital are not Region-free, either for Blu-ray or for SD-DVD. This is due to Blu-ray licensing. North American model players can play Blu-rays that are Region A, or that are unlocked for Region (known as A-B-C).

For SD-DVD Region-free, there is a simple, free method to unlock the player called the Super Disc. See the FAQ -- link at the top of the first post of the 103 thread.

For Blu-ray (and also includes SD-DVD) Region-free, a 3rd party hardware mod has to be added to the player. There are several outfits out there selling such mods.

Some OPPO dealers -- particularly in Europe -- sell players that they have already modified.
--Bob
Aras_Volodka likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5951 of 6921 Old 12-09-2014, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
It is not. Not allowed in the US.

If you do Blu-ray backups, region coding is removed by those procedures.

Else, you need additional hardware. See the FAQ: Region Free Modifications

-Bill
Thanks... ugh I don't have a bluray burner. It seems like the cheapest option might be the hardware upgrade. Maybe I should sell the disc but it sucks because it's only available on region B... on bluray, which is shocking to me (fantastic planet).
post #5952 of 6921 Old 12-09-2014, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The players as sold by OPPO Digital are not Region-free, either for Blu-ray or for SD-DVD. This is due to Blu-ray licensing. North American model players can play Blu-rays that are Region A, or that are unlocked for Region (known as A-B-C).

For SD-DVD Region-free, there is a simple, free method to unlock the player called the Super Disc. See the FAQ -- link at the top of the first post of the 103 thread.

For Blu-ray (and also includes SD-DVD) Region-free, a 3rd party hardware mod has to be added to the player. There are several outfits out there selling such mods.

Some OPPO dealers -- particularly in Europe -- sell players that they have already modified.
--Bob
Unfortunately this disc is a bluray... so the super disc won't work for that right? There is a DVD copy in the case... maybe I could just do it with that but I'm kind of a snob about watching DVD's now, I pretty much exclusively watch blurays now. I usually only watch DVD's if I'm desperate (haha).
post #5953 of 6921 Old 12-09-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Thanks... ugh I don't have a bluray burner. It seems like the cheapest option might be the hardware upgrade. Maybe I should sell the disc but it sucks because it's only available on region B... on bluray, which is shocking to me (fantastic planet).
You can rip it to MKV and watch that on the Oppo.
Aras_Volodka likes this.
post #5954 of 6921 Old 12-09-2014, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the responses guys, sorry I'm a bit of a 103d noob.

Also I have experienced a strange issue every now and then: During a movie it sometimes pauses, the screen goes black for a second... & then it comes back with the resolution displayed at the top left of the screen for a few seconds. Is that the 103d or could it be my receiver or television? I never experienced that on my crappy 30 dollar bluray player, so I'm guessing it's the Darby but I have no idea what to look for to solve this issue.
post #5955 of 6921 Old 12-09-2014, 03:13 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Thanks... ugh I don't have a bluray burner.
Not required; people put backups on hard drives and servers. For discussion, see: Ripping Blu-Rays II

Quote:
It seems like the cheapest option might be the hardware upgrade. Maybe I should sell the disc but it sucks because it's only available on region B... on bluray, which is shocking to me (fantastic planet).
I saw that in the theater and reviewed the DVD: Fantastic Planet (1973). I've had the Blu-ray on my want-list, too.

-Bill
Aras_Volodka likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #5956 of 6921 Old 12-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ That's likely an HDMI handshake retry. Typically this is due to HDMI cables that are marginal for their length or HDMI plugs not fully inserted into the sockets.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5957 of 6921 Old 12-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
You can rip it to MKV and watch that on the Oppo.
Ahh ok... so I'd just have to get an HD DVD disc to burn it to? Would that be the same quality as Bluray? Or at least better quality than standard DVD?
post #5958 of 6921 Old 12-09-2014, 03:19 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Ahh ok... so I'd just have to get an HD DVD disc to burn it to? Would that be the same quality as Bluray? Or at least better quality than standard DVD?
Rip it to a MKV file and then copy it onto a thumb drive or external hard drive, or a drive that's accessible on your home network (via either DLNA, SMB, or NFS) and you'll be able to play it. No need to burn it to optical media.
post #5959 of 6921 Old 12-09-2014, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^ That's likely an HDMI handshake retry. Typically this is due to HDMI cables that are marginal for their length or HDMI plugs not fully inserted into the sockets.
--Bob
I'm curious about what "marginal for their length" means... like are shorter HDMI cables worse? I got a pretty decent HDMI cable... but I was under the impression that they aren't different at all according to home theater geeks. I will give the connections a try, it's possibly I might have not properly connected it all the way.
post #5960 of 6921 Old 12-09-2014, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Rip it to a MKV file and then copy it onto a thumb drive or external hard drive, or a drive that's accessible on your home network (via either DLNA, SMB, or NFS) and you'll be able to play it. No need to burn it to optical media.
OH duuuuh. Sorry I'm still living in the 20th century... I forgot about the internet (haha).

Thanks guys that's a huge help... I'll give it a shot soon.
post #5961 of 6921 Old 12-09-2014, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I saw that in the theater and reviewed the DVD: Fantastic Planet (1973). I've had the Blu-ray on my want-list, too.

-Bill
Thanks, and cool review. I'm glad I read it because I was gonna watch it with my 8 year old step daughter... that would have been quite awkward with the sex scene (with saxes).

The animation technique used on the film was similar to Terry Gilliam's if I understand correctly. This article talks about it... very interesting (2nd to last paragraph)

http://sensesofcinema.com/2005/cteq/fantastic_planet/

(sorry to go off topic)
post #5962 of 6921 Old 12-09-2014, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
hi
thanks for your reply.. may i ask why don't u use RC? how does the drabee work with the hw40? i have a 133 inch screen will i benefit with 103d as oppose to 103?
Personal preference is the main thing here.
I have a sony hw50 and I personally like to have RC on and darbee hi Def at about 45%.

RC with these Sony's are pretty much "just sharpening" but I consider them very good sharpening and has much less ringing or other artefacts associated with sharpening, it also depends some on content, newer digital movies with low amounts of noise in the image looks great with RC and Darbee, but with older movies with a bit of grain you might want to turn it off.

For instance Man of Steel where they introduced a lot of horrible film grain I turned RC off.

I personally feel Darbee and RC plays very nicely together so with both applied they can be beneficial with less intensity perhaps and thus less artefacts and nastiness.

I also highly recommend the Darbee version i sure love my 103d and the bigger the screen the more you will notice from the darbee effect, if you don't like it that's another matter but it is much less heavy handed than Reality Creation and if you like that chances are you will like Darbee.
post #5963 of 6921 Old 12-09-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Apple just made available a new version of Oppo's Media Control app (V 3.0.3) for iOS devices.

Check it out! Hope it's more stable/robust!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	412833  
Keenan and mogrub like this.

Last edited by DanF8500; 12-10-2014 at 07:09 AM.
post #5964 of 6921 Old 12-09-2014, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Apple just made available a new version of Oppo's Media Control HD app (V 3.0.3) for iOS devices ...
Nice, thanks Dan.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #5965 of 6921 Old 12-10-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Still crashes on startup every time for me.
post #5966 of 6921 Old 12-10-2014, 10:17 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Try deleting the app from your i-device and then re-instaling it from the Cloud. That will get rid of any old -- possibly corrupt -- data left from the prior install.

If still no luck, email OPPO Tech Support with the details on your i-device (model and which iOS version you are running) and what's happening -- i.e., does the app get as far as finding your OPPO player, or does it crash before getting that far.
--Bob

post #5967 of 6921 Old 12-10-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 46
My Android app does not work all that well.

I just use the provided monolith

Later , HH

G. 
post #5968 of 6921 Old 12-10-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
Thanks sworth, I'll check out the music board. I'll also read reviews before my purchases to try to weed out the poorly mixed SACD's. Ironically , one of my best sounding recordings is a box set MVI recording by Donald Fagen. It was voted the best multitrack recording the year it was released (2003 I believe) and it is a three disc set plus one cd with bonus material all for a whopping $51. I consider it to be a steal if you can find it. It sounds as good as any of the SACD's that I have if not better,

quadrophonicquad.com is a great site for reviews. They also have polls where people rate releases. Also check out SA-CD.net. Most releases will have some reviews as well as purchasing options.
ljmart likes this.
post #5969 of 6921 Old 12-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I'll be sure to check these sites out. Thanks for the info.
post #5970 of 6921 Old 12-10-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anybody using a Fire TV stick with the Oppo? I'm trying to use it with the front HDMI input and getting a "HDCP unauthorized content disabled" blue screen. Audio plays fine. To be clear, the FireTV menus and intro video played fine. It's just Prime streaming (haven't bothered with other services yet) gives me this blue screen of over protection.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page