Forum Jump: 

post #6031 of 6050 Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by obagley View Post
I have no way of using either, so I was wondering if there is a way I can output any audio from either optical or coax when playing SACD?
Set it to convert the DSD audio to PCM. Then it works fine. No real world difference in sound quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 6050 Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
Set it to convert the DSD audio to PCM. Then it works fine. No real world difference in sound quality.
Maybe for 2-ch audio, which the coax/optical outs are limited to, but multi-ch SACDS would not sound the same in 2-ch.
post #6033 of 6050 Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Quote:
Quote:
I have no way of using either, so I was wondering if there is a way I can output any audio from either optical or coax when playing SACD?
Nope. SACD is not licensed for transmission over Optical or Coax digital audio, even when converted to LPCM, due to the lack of copy protection.
--Bob
post #6034 of 6050 Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Nope. SACD is not licensed for transmission over Optical or Coax digital audio, even when converted to LPCM, due to the lack of copy protection.
--Bob
Bob, what about the playback of DSD container formats (.dsf/.dff)? Are they bounded by the same copy protection as SACDs? I've never tested the optical/coax outs of the 10x players.
post #6035 of 6050 Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Quote:
--Bob
Bob, what about the playback of DSD container formats (.dsf/.dff)? Are they bounded by the same copy protection as SACDs? I've never tested the optical/coax outs of the 10x players.
I suspect they should be blocked, but I haven't tried it.
--Bob
post #6036 of 6050 Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bob, Finally found my hum It was a bad cable, the killer was the second cable I tried also was faulty. Anyway the 3rd set cured the problem.
post #6037 of 6050 Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbohip View Post
Bob, Finally found my hum It was a bad cable, the killer was the second cable I tried also was faulty. Anyway the 3rd set cured the problem.
Glad you found the source of the hum. Still be aware of your Oppo volume limitations with your HK AVR.
post #6038 of 6050 Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Good! And now you also know a brand of cable to avoid....
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6039 of 6050 Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
--Bob
I really don't understand the logic in this. DSD is not being streamed out either the coax or opt outs. It's a converted, multi-bit digital format (LPCM), that can never be converted back to the original, bit for bit, DSD content that is on the original SACD. And if DSD is allowed to be streamed out hdmi from an SACD, bit for bit, that even makes less sense. Why is is the licensing limited to some digital outputs?

Last edited by DanF8500; Yesterday at 01:02 PM.
post #6040 of 6050 Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ HDMI has a nice, steaming pile of HDCP copy protection lathered on top.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6041 of 6050 Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
I really don't understand the logic in this. ........ Why is is the licensing limited to some digital outputs?
Sony = logic ---------------not.

Actually there are some modded players around with multiple SPDIF outputs intended for just this situation, and are capable of sending 5.1 audio in PCM out over those outputs. Expensive too.
DanF8500 likes this.
post #6042 of 6050 Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Guys ,Will I still benefit by getting the Darbee since my Pioneer has Qdeo 1080p upscaling? I'm moving to my new place next week ,and I would like to have it by then if mail permits? Holidays!! I've been using a Ps3 for any movies which are now playing through a new 60 inch Sharp Aquos Q. If not,then I will order just the 103? Thanks.?
post #6043 of 6050 Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsim View Post
Guys ,Will I still benefit by getting the Darbee since my Pioneer has Qdeo 1080p upscaling? I'm moving to my new place next week ,and I would like to have it by then if mail permits? Holidays!! I've been using a Ps3 for any movies which are now playing through a new 60 inch Sharp Aquos Q. If not,then I will order just the 103? Thanks.?
Darbee and QDEO do different things. If you've read the reviews linked in the first post of this thread, are interested and know what to expect, then the -103D would be your choice.

Remember: Darbee is a very subtle effect when used properly. We wouldn't want you to expect a night-and-day difference.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #6044 of 6050 Old Today, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post
Very cool. Now I jut need to find out what kind of audio the Sony XBR-70x850B sends out over ARC for NetFlix and Amazon -- since those are the only 4K sources I would use from the TV.

EDIT: From the TV thread it sounds like I should get DD 5.1. That is good enough for me. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be limited to stereo.

So the 103D provides a number of upgrades from my 93:

- Durbee processing
- Sat Rec 1080i de-interlacing
- eliminates an HDMI switch
- "enables ARC"
- faster apps
- 4K upscaling which may or may not be better than the TV

I've placed my order for local pick-up.
i have heard that if you try to use the 4k upscaling and you dont have a 4k tv, the oppo will freeze up. i have a 4k tv now, and i still have it set to 1080P upscale over 4k.

TV; SONY XBR65X850B 4k, previous was SAMSUNG 65 7100
AVR: Sony 7.2 1040
Blu Ray: Oppo 103D
post #6045 of 6050 Old Today, 01:07 AM
Read the FAQ!

You can always change the output Resolution using the Resolution button on the remote, Up/Down Arrow to get what you want and Enter to set that. It displays in the front panel.

The player won't freeze up, but of course the 4K can't show if the TV can't handle it.
--Bob
post #6046 of 6050 Old Today, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
i have heard that if you try to use the 4k upscaling and you dont have a 4k tv, the oppo will freeze up. i have a 4k tv now, and i still have it set to 1080P upscale over 4k.
It must depend on the TV. I set the OPPO to 4K while displaying to a Sony XBR-65x900B at a video store and then brought it hope and connected to my 1080p Panny Plasma with no issue -- the player must have figured out the TV did not support 4K and automaticlly down-graded to 1080p.

BTW, compared the 1080p to 4K scaling between that Sony TV and and really couldn't tell the difference watching the SW2 Blu-ray. The Sony's are know to have a pretty good scaler, so says a lot about the OPPO scaling.
post #6047 of 6050 Old Today, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Take the thumb drive(s) back to your computer and check them for file system corruption. Be sure to "eject" the drives properly each time before unplugging them from your computer. (Typically the computer has a last little bit of writing it needs to do on the drive before it is OK to remove it.)

Try turning off GraceNote Lookup in Setup > Network Setup. Your network may be having trouble getting to the GraceNote service.

If still No Joy, email OPPO Tech Support with the details on the model of thumb drive you are using to see if they have any history with those. It may be, for example, that the thumb drive is "going to sleep" and failing to wake up again properly when you next try to access it.
--Bob

I scanned the drive and there were no problems. Next I turned off Gracenote and so far the system has been working perfectly. Thanks Bob.
post #6048 of 6050 Old Today, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Was it a bad power cable? Or interconnects?

I am going to try and sort my hum issue out this weekend.......wish me luck!
post #6049 of 6050 Old Today, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
You've got this to work yourself?
post #6050 of 6050 Old Today, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
You've got this to work yourself?
Sorry. I am connected with HDMI, not optical.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page