Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 205 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #6121 of 7312 Old 12-30-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
After years and recent months of contemplating, I [finally] ordered one today directly from Oppo and it will be here before the New Year! This is going to be my very first Blu-Ray player, it will also play a big role in replacing my 2002 DVD deck. As I mentioned earlier from the 103 thread that my primary use would be for streaming media such as Netflix, Vudu, and above all viewing photos/personal videos utilizing the DLNA network. Hope the Oppo operates w/o hiccups. Let's see if this baby is really worth the hefty price tag.
I've done all of these, and it works without much of an issue. The streams, once started are very good.

I've moved a lot of my DVD's to VUDU for the upgrade to 1080p (they charge a fairly small fee) so I can see movies that have not made it to Bluray in HD (example: Milagro Beanfield War).

I actually have also gotten into streaming music and like Pandora quite a bit. I tried the Philarmoniker for classical music, and it's excellent, will sign on when motivated.

I've got quite a bit of video, both homegrown and ripped as well as MP3, FLAC and DSD music; all of it sounds great and now that the android app is there, easy to get to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6122 of 7312 Old 12-30-2014, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjmeyer View Post
Both the Oppo 103D and the marantz UD5007 are now available to purchase on Best Buys website. Of the 2, which would you choose and why? Also, is it really worth spending hundreds on a blu ray player when they sell others for under $100??
I'm not familiar with the Marantz, but the 103D is my third Oppo. I've had a DVD player, a Blu-ray player and now a 3D Blu-ray player. One advantage of all three is that they've all been able to play DVD-Audios and SACDs. If you're into high-definition music, this "universal player" aspect is a strong advantage to Oppos over most other players. It's definitely key for me.

Another advantage is that it seems like all their players will play nearly anything you throw at them. DVDs ripped to DVD+R or DVD-R or DVD-R/W? not a problem. MKV files on a memory stick? Good to go. MP3 files? Of course. FLAC files (stereo or multi-channel, standard resolution or 192kHz, 24-bit)? You bet! SACD ISO images burned to DVD+R or DVD-R? Well, on the BDP-80, they worked great (I never tried them on the DVD 981HD). On the new 103D, Oppo has dropped that ability, no doubt due to its questionable legality. However, I'm using SACDExtract to rip all my SACD-Rs to DSF files and playing them from an external hard drive. In fact, I've ripped my entire CD and DVD-Audio collections (and now my SACD collection as well) and listen to them all from the hard drive.

And how about the ability to be modified (by hardware for Blu-rays or software for DVDs) to be able to play discs from other regions? Got some film in mind that is for sale in Europe but not in the US? Oppo can probably get you there. I'll admit, that hasn't been a big deal for me but I've got friends who live and die by movies (especially Japanese) that they can't get in the US.

If you've read up anything on the Darbee Darblett devices, you might have been intrigued. I know I was. I just wasn't willing to spend $200 - $300 to get it. However, the 103D and the 105D now have that built-in and for only $100 more than the "base" 103 and 105 devices. And since they each have two HDMI inputs, I'm able to apply the Darbee effect not just to Blu-rays and streamed video but to my media player and my satellite receiver.

Somebody else mentioned test patterns. I don't care what tests you throw at them, the Oppo players always seem to come out on top of the heap when it comes to reviewed DVD and Blu-ray players. They are crazy good.

And lastly, they're built like tanks. I've never had an Oppo fail on me. I don't throw them away, I give them away or sell them and they remain in use, often heavy use.

Is all that worth a higher price? To me, it is. Heck, I just bought the 103D for $600 where I bought a Blu-ray/DVD/CD (non-3D) player for my sister for $35. Hers is also tiny, like not much bigger than an old Sony Walkman. She loves it. But then she also thinks her 32" LCD set is the cats pajamas. I run my Oppo into a calibrated Panasonic plasma set and dream of OLED and what comes after that. So it's really up to you. Is all this worth the extra bucks to you? If so, get the Oppo? If not, get the Marantz or something cheaper yet and be glad you're not as critical as some of us. You'll save big bucks in the long run if you can find lesser audio and video equipment to be acceptable.

Good luck!
warrian likes this.
post #6123 of 7312 Old 12-30-2014, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I am currently using a Roku 3 and will be hooking it up to the Oppo like a Roku Stick.
post #6124 of 7312 Old 12-30-2014, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 66
As JerryElbow has said, it plays EVERYTHING. Also, if you've got a nice 5.1+ setup and you're not using it to listen to music, you're truly missing out. You won't find some cheapy blu-ray player that will play 5.1 flac files. It's silent, too. I dumped my Samsung discount 3D blu-ray player because it was annoyingly loud. I don't want to hear gears turning when I watch a movie.

Onkyo TX-NR818, Emotiva XPA-5
Klipsch RF-7II Main Cherry (x2), RC-64II Center Cherry, RF-15 Wide (x2), RS-62II Surround (x2)
SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer (x2)
OPPO BDP-103D
Samsung PN64F8500
post #6125 of 7312 Old 12-30-2014, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 55
If you are trying to choose between a high end Bluray player and a sub $100 player the choice should be simple. Other members have posted the advantages of an Oppo. So the question you need to ask is, do you need all of those extras or would you be happy with a basic player? Don't waste your money if you don't need or want the extras.
post #6126 of 7312 Old 12-30-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Harmony remote programming help

I have a Dish STB connected to the rear HDMI input of my Oppo and am having problems trying to automate the switch from NetFlix on the Oppo to the Dish STB. The Oppo does not let you switch inputs while NetFlix is running. The workaround is to always backup out of NetFlix before changing the activity on the Harmony remote.

I was wondering if anybody has ideas for how to do a one button switch between NetFlix and the rear input. With my older programmable remote I would just start the switch sequence by sending a power on/off to the Oppo, but the Harmony does seem to have that capability. I could probably program that at the end of the switch, but was hoping for a more elegant solution.

Any ideas?

BTW, have the same problem when I have NetFlix running on my TV and want to change activities.
post #6127 of 7312 Old 12-30-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked: 484
i have an issue with my 103D, i recently started watching blu ray 3d movies, but they arent automatically playing in 3D even tho they are 3D discs, i tried going into settings for 3d and going to FORCED, and AUTO, and they still dont play in 3d. the only way to get 3d is to press the 3d button on my tv remote, but am i getting true 3d or am i just getting the tvs own conversion? I also had another issue, and since I just got my 4k tv, im not sure where this issue came from. I use upscale to 4k on the oppo for everything now, and i went to the kitchen and came back and there was an oppo message on the screen taht said "this device is not 4k compatible" and it went back to "direct source" and the image on the screen was horrible, it was actually way worse than the direct cable source i had on. i had to unplug a few things to get the 4k upscale to work again. any ideas?

TV; SAMSUNG 65 HU9000(current) SAMSUNG 65 8550 4k (30 days) SONY XBR65X850B 4k(owned for 2 weeks), previous was SAMSUNG 65 7100
AVR: Sony 7.2 1040
Blu Ray: Oppo 103D
post #6128 of 7312 Old 12-30-2014, 09:17 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
i have an issue with my 103D, i recently started watching blu ray 3d movies, but they arent automatically playing in 3D even tho they are 3D discs, i tried going into settings for 3d and going to FORCED, and AUTO, and they still dont play in 3d. the only way to get 3d is to press the 3d button on my tv remote, but am i getting true 3d or am i just getting the tvs own conversion? I also had another issue, and since I just got my 4k tv, im not sure where this issue came from. I use upscale to 4k on the oppo for everything now, and i went to the kitchen and came back and there was an oppo message on the screen taht said "this device is not 4k compatible" and it went back to "direct source" and the image on the screen was horrible, it was actually way worse than the direct cable source i had on. i had to unplug a few things to get the 4k upscale to work again. any ideas?
Check that you don't have the HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 outputs reversed, it's easy to do. Use HDMI 1 for your 3D video.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6129 of 7312 Old 12-30-2014, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Check that you don't have the HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 outputs reversed, it's easy to do. Use HDMI 1 for your 3D video.
--Bob
i have HDMI 1 out going to my sony avr. its the avr sony 1040 it passes 3d and 4k

TV; SAMSUNG 65 HU9000(current) SAMSUNG 65 8550 4k (30 days) SONY XBR65X850B 4k(owned for 2 weeks), previous was SAMSUNG 65 7100
AVR: Sony 7.2 1040
Blu Ray: Oppo 103D
post #6130 of 7312 Old 12-31-2014, 07:32 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 1127
^ As a test, run HDMI 1 direct to the display for video and HDMI 2 to the Sony AVR for audio. Also temporarily disconnect the HDMI output from the AVR. Do you get proper 3D and 4K that way?

If so, then there may be a settings error in the AVR when trying to pass 3D and 4K through the AVR. For example, you may need to use a specific HDMI input or output socket, or enable pass through.

Check the owners thread for your AVR here, too.
--Bob
post #6131 of 7312 Old 12-31-2014, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What is the difference between a regular Oppo and a region free Oppo? I can buy a new Oppo for $740 or a new region free Oppo from Ebay for about $500. Is there a reason the region free is cheaper and if it's a good deal or stay away from it?
post #6132 of 7312 Old 12-31-2014, 08:05 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjmeyer View Post
What is the difference between a regular Oppo and a region free Oppo? I can buy a new Oppo for $740 or a new region free Oppo from Ebay for about $500. Is there a reason the region free is cheaper and if it's a good deal or stay away from it?
Prices on Ebay are sometimes hard to comprehend. A region free mod is value added by a third party (OPPO can't do it in the US) and should increase the price of the player.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #6133 of 7312 Old 12-31-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 229
^ Umm, better be sure what you are buying there.
I seriously doubt you are seeing a BDP-103D model that is brand new and region free for $500.
More than likely it is an older model or used player.
The newest model, the BDP-103D can be purchased directly from Oppo for $599 plus s/h.
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...-Overview.aspx

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #6134 of 7312 Old 12-31-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is the 103D a step up or on the same level as a Denon DBP-4010 UDCI?
post #6135 of 7312 Old 12-31-2014, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ Umm, better be sure what you are buying there. I seriously doubt you are seeing a BDP-103D model that is brand new and region free for $500.
More than likely it is an older model or used player.
The newest model, the BDP-103D can be purchased directly from Oppo for $599 plus s/h ...
^ Amen to that Dave. And even more bluntly mpjm, be on guard. That eBay thing sounds off. I can't even count all the eBay and Craig's List horror stories I've heard this year.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #6136 of 7312 Old 12-31-2014, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin. W View Post
Is the 103D a step up or on the same level as a Denon DBP-4010 UDCI?
What would you regard as a step up? The big difference between the Oppo 103 and 103D is Darbee processing which the 103D has and the 103 does not. The Denon does not have Darbee processing so if you're trying to do a comparison of products with similar functionality then the comparison should probably be between the Denon and the 103. If what is interesting you in the 103D is Darbee processing then the Denon would be a poor option since it does not have that feature.

If you've already got the Denon and you're interested in Darbee processing, then your choice is between sticking with the Denon and adding a Darblet, or swapping to either the 103D or 105D. There's a price difference between those 2 options that you really need to consider.

Apart from that, the Oppos have 2 HDMI inputs that the Denon lacks so you can use the Oppos to perform video processing for other devices with HDMI output such as a PVR or cable box if you wish.

Bottom line: the 103D has video processing functionality (Darbee, 2 HDMI inputs) that the Denon does not. If you want/need that functionality then the Oppo is most definitely a step up. If you don't need that functionality then the 103 may be a more appropriate option but either way, 103 or 103D, it will depend on whether you think the Oppo offers a big enough increase in picture quality over the Denon and that is going to be up to your own personal judgement.
post #6137 of 7312 Old 01-01-2015, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
with some of my .mp4 movies I get an error reading "the file format is not supported". others play just fine. they all play fine on my windows 7 computer. any ideas?
post #6138 of 7312 Old 01-01-2015, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim leonhardt View Post
with some of my .mp4 movies I get an error reading "the file format is not supported". others play just fine. they all play fine on my windows 7 computer. any ideas?
Unfortunately, you've not given us any detailed information to work with. In order to help you further, please run one or more of your 'problem' files through an application called MediaInfo (set to text mode). And post what it reports, IN FULL as a text (.txt) file?

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #6139 of 7312 Old 01-01-2015, 10:27 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim leonhardt View Post
Perhaps the codecs inside the container are not supported by the player in the case of the problem files. Or maybe the dimensions of the image are too large?

There is a free utility called "mediainfo". Run it on both "good" and "bad" files and compare to see if there is a difference.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #6140 of 7312 Old 01-01-2015, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Flicker when using 103D

Looking for a little help with my Oppo 103D.

I have a Marantz SR7007 and Sony 40ES projector being fed by the 103D and have noticed in many movies there is a "flicker" to the picture in lighter scenes (I believe the flicker is there in darker scenes, but with less light it is less noticeable).

I don't have the same flicker when watching TV or playing Xbox One... it only happens when watching movies from the 103D.

Question is, given all the different settings in the 103D; is there something in there that may be causing this flicker? Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

Only thing I can think of is that I like a lot of older movies and even though I've bought the "Blu Ray" versions they still may have lower frame rates from the old filming that is showing through (but I'm hoping it's a setting in the player that I can correct).
post #6141 of 7312 Old 01-01-2015, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 195
So 600.00 for a Blu-Ray player?

I do not mind the money part but I just am amazed it can really make that much difference.

Please help convince me, I would like to add this to my new Samsung 8500 64" Plasma.

Current Sets:
Sony XBR65X900B Samsung UN65JS9000 LG 55EC9300
PN64F8500 Plasma SOLD ;(
post #6142 of 7312 Old 01-01-2015, 01:53 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slw2206 View Post

I have a Marantz SR7007 and Sony 40ES projector being fed by the 103D and have noticed in many movies there is a "flicker" to the picture in lighter scenes (I believe the flicker is there in darker scenes, but with less light it is less noticeable).

I don't have the same flicker when watching TV or playing Xbox One... it only happens when watching movies from the 103D.

Question is, given all the different settings in the 103D; is there something in there that may be causing this flicker? Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

Only thing I can think of is that I like a lot of older movies and even though I've bought the "Blu Ray" versions they still may have lower frame rates from the old filming that is showing through (but I'm hoping it's a setting in the player that I can correct).
Diagnostics:

Does this happen using both the HDMI1 and HDMI2 outputs?

Does it happen if you bypass the receiver and connect directly to the display?

Does it happen at all output resolutions from the player?

If you are using 1080p, does it happen when you switch 1080p24 on and off?

-Bill

post #6143 of 7312 Old 01-01-2015, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
hey everyone, I'm here seeking some advice. I have a samsung 4k tv and need a blu ray or 4k player and wasn't sure what my best option would be the oppo BDP-103D or if because i have a 4k television i should be looking more into the samsung 4k player- thanks in advance!
post #6144 of 7312 Old 01-01-2015, 01:57 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper32 View Post

I do not mind the money part but I just am amazed it can really make that much difference.

Please help convince me, I would like to add this to my new Samsung 8500 64" Plasma.
What are your needs? Do you have a Blu-ray player now, and are you not happy with it?

Do you have an audio setup? Do you play media files or need any sort of network access?

Would you consider yourself a videophile, in the sense you do a lot a tweaking and calibrating?

-Bill

post #6145 of 7312 Old 01-01-2015, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by slw2206 View Post

Aside from what Bill mentioned, I'll wager this is an issue with 24fps processing in your display. Set the player to output 60p and see if it goes away. If so, bring it up in the forum for that display and see if you can find out what setting in the display is causing it. Its not an unheard of issue with 24p processing in displays.
post #6146 of 7312 Old 01-01-2015, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
What are your needs? Do you have a Blu-ray player now, and are you not happy with it?

Do you have an audio setup? Do you play media files or need any sort of network access?

Would you consider yourself a videophile, in the sense you do a lot a tweaking and calibrating?

-Bill
Well yeah I am pretty anal about my equipment, but the truth is when I buy Blu-Rays most of the time I rip them and use a mdeia server to play them. So what would it do for me this way?

Viper

Current Sets:
PN64F8500 Plasma SOLD ;(
post #6147 of 7312 Old 01-01-2015, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I just dropped more than $665 (tax & shipping) for the 103D directly from Oppo. I am willing to pay for something that is:
1. of quality build
2. premium components fitted
3. aesthetics and design
4. features and specifications (and the Oppo passes with flying colors!)
5. Something that would hold their value for resale

I can't think of any other make/model that comes close. This is not the most expensive player on the market. So yeah, I think it is worth the $600 premium.

Quote:

post #6148 of 7312 Old 01-01-2015, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
I just dropped more than $665 (tax & shipping) for the 103D directly from Oppo. I am willing to pay for something that is:
1. of quality build
2. premium components fitted
3. aesthetics and design
4. features and specifications (and the Oppo passes with flying colors!)
5. Something that would hold their value for resale

I can't think of any other make/model that comes close. This is not the most expensive player on the market. So yeah, I think it is worth the $600 premium.
OK, I will bite. So can I stream with it and get the Darby effect?

Current Sets:
PN64F8500 Plasma SOLD ;(
post #6149 of 7312 Old 01-01-2015, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 229
^All video passed through the player is subject to post processing if the user wishes to apply it, including Darbee enhancements.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #6150 of 7312 Old 01-01-2015, 04:45 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Well yeah I am pretty anal about my equipment, but the truth is when I buy Blu-Rays most of the time I rip them and use a mdeia server to play them. So what would it do for me this way?

Viper
If you are not playing Blu-ray discs then a Blu-ray player does not seem that attractive to me. You can use whatever media player or HTPC you want and add a Darblet if you want that effect. The OPPO is a good package incorporating a lot of features but we would still know what you need in order to advise you.

-Bill

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com