Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 213 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #6361 of 6390 Old Yesterday, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Screen shots

Epson 9700 ub display on THX mode, Darbee @ 50%
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0147.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	509666   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0148.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	509674   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0151.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	509682  
DrMichael likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6362 of 6390 Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I recently just got the 103D, upgrading from the Panasonic BDT310. I will be using it with the Sony vw350es and am curious if the 103D is necessary if I use the 350es for upscaling. Someone mentioned in another thread that the Oppo possibly only upscales to UHD in 30fps vs the 350es in 60fps. With that, i'd plug the Oppo into my Denon x7200 and set it to 1080P.

If I go with the 350es for upscaling, does the Oppo have other advantages over the Panasonic. I would assume that since the Oppo is reference, maybe the 350es will start with a better 1080p picture.

Thoughts?
post #6363 of 6390 Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzy View Post
I recently just got the 103D, upgrading from the Panasonic BDT310. I will be using it with the Sony vw350es and am curious if the 103D is necessary if I use the 350es for upscaling. Someone mentioned in another thread that the Oppo possibly only upscales to UHD in 30fps vs the 350es in 60fps. With that, i'd plug the Oppo into my Denon x7200 and set it to 1080P.

If I go with the 350es for upscaling, does the Oppo have other advantages over the Panasonic. I would assume that since the Oppo is reference, maybe the 350es will start with a better 1080p picture.

Thoughts?

Hi ,

The 103D , would be your best choice , video upscaling
is not the same as video processing.

The 103D would more than likely complement your setup.

Later

Gary 
cazzy likes this.
post #6364 of 6390 Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post
Hi ,

The 103D , would be your best choice , video upscaling
is not the same as video processing.

The 103D would more than likely complement your setup.

Later

Gary 
Perfect and thanks! It sure does look pretty in my OmniMount RE27!
post #6365 of 6390 Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Happy to help

Me 
post #6366 of 6390 Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 1070
^ The 103D can upscale video rate content to 4K/60 output, using YCbCr 4:2:0 format, to a 4K display which can accept that.

This was added in firmware last year.

See the 4K Output setting in the Manual.
--Bob
cazzy likes this.
post #6367 of 6390 Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM

Liked: 23
I think I can rule out the Marantz 8801 being the cause of the audio dropout on Schindlers List as I played the movie 2 times on my PS4 (that is apart of my HT setup) and no audio drop. It has dropped the audio around the same spot 3/3 times with the oppo. So it must be a disc/Oppo compatibility issue....

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Marantz AV8801 pre-pro / MM8077 amp
Martin Logan Motion 50XT Center
Martin Logan Motion 60XT Fronts/40 Rears
REL R-528 SE (2)
Oppo BDP-103D/Playstation 4/Furman ELITE-20 PF i
post #6368 of 6390 Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post
I think I can rule out the Marantz 8801 being the cause of the audio dropout on Schindlers List as I played the movie 2 times on my PS4 (that is apart of my HT setup) and no audio drop. It has dropped the audio around the same spot 3/3 times with the oppo. So it must be a disc/Oppo compatibility issue....
I asked before: did you try switching between LPCM and Bitstream in the player?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #6369 of 6390 Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
I asked before: did you try switching between LPCM and Bitstream in the player?

-Bill
I did not to lpcm on the oppo but accidentaly did lpcm on the ps4 with no issues. What would I expect to happen with lpcm on the oppo?

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
REL R-528 SE (2)
post #6370 of 6390 Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
I did not to lpcm on the oppo but accidentaly did lpcm on the ps4 with no issues. What would I expect to happen with lpcm on the oppo?
A player / receiver interaction that is a problem in one mode may not be an issue in the other. Switching between the two is always something to try when experiencing HDMI audio issues.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #6371 of 6390 Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM

Quote:
A player / receiver interaction that is a problem in one mode may not be an issue in the other. Switching between the two is always something to try when experiencing HDMI audio issues.

-Bill
If it did not occur on lpcm then what? Am I incorrect in my assumption that there is a issues with the disc and oppo player?

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
REL R-528 SE (2)
post #6372 of 6390 Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
If it did not occur on lpcm then what? Am I incorrect in my assumption that there is a issues with the disc and oppo player?
You might call it an issue correctable by setting the player to LPCM.

The disc may have an authoring technique which reveals a problem with bitstreaming over HDMI between the player and receiver. It has happened before, and sometimes across a wide range of devices.

Who is at fault is hard to say sometimes. HDMI is a cooperative effort.

-Bill

post #6373 of 6390 Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM

Quote:
You might call it an issue correctable by setting the player to LPCM.

The disc may have an authoring technique which reveals a problem with bitstreaming over HDMI between the player and receiver. It has happened before, and sometimes across a wide range of devices.

Who is at fault is hard to say sometimes. HDMI is a cooperative effort.

-Bill
I will be sending my disc to oppo for them to use. Is this something that is likely repeatable outside my home? Can they fix it with firmware update?

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
REL R-528 SE (2)
post #6374 of 6390 Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
I will be sending my disc to oppo for them to use. Is this something that is likely repeatable outside my home? Can they fix it with firmware update?
If it's not something obvious I suspect they would need the same AVR with the same hardware rev and firmware to confirm the issue.

Fixed with firmware: maybe.

Did you try setting the player to LPCM? We'd really like to know if this changes the behavior of your problem.

-Bill

post #6375 of 6390 Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM

Quote:
If it's not something obvious I suspect they would need the same AVR with the same hardware rev and firmware to confirm the issue.

Did you try setting the player to LPCM? We'd really like to know if this changes the behavior of your problem.

-Bill
I will tonight. It only occurs when it's played through the entire movie from the start and it's around the 3 hr mark. I will set my alarm tonight and see.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
REL R-528 SE (2)
post #6376 of 6390 Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM

Quote:

-Bill
One more question if you don't minf.....why is this the only BD that has brought up this issue? I have played hundreds of BD and have never had an issue. That's my im dumbfounded. I am a tad anal in that I want to make sure nothing is wrong with my gear. Thank you.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
REL R-528 SE (2)
post #6377 of 6390 Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Given the complex coding that gets written to disks, it is fairly common - with many brands of players and receivers - that a disk that causes problems when sent as a bitstream to a receiver - to be decoded by the receiver - will play fine when instead the player does the decoding and sends the soundtrack as LPCM, which is simply the decoded audio in digital WAV format.

My guess is that it's the overlaying of the periodic HDMI/HDCP "handshakes" (to verify both the receiver's capabilities and the legality of it getting the signal) on top of the bitstream's own programming commands that interferes with a receiver's decoding of the bitstream.

Letting a player decode the bitstream internally - which avoids the frequent "handshake" interruptions that decoding at the other end of an HDMI cable is subjected to - is the usual method of sidestepping this problem.

I use my BDP-93's analog outputs - which also means letting the player decode the disk - and I've never run into any of the audio glitches that routinely get reported on this board for many brands of players and receivers.

You've noted that your playstation gave no problems set to LPCM. Until you set your Oppo to LPCM, you're comparing apples to oranges. I suspect that setting your playstation to bitstream might provoke exactly the same misbehavior, and setting your Oppo to LPCM will similarly avoid the problem.

post #6378 of 6390 Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
Given the complex coding that gets written to disks, it is fairly common - with many brands of players and receivers - that a disk that causes problems when sent as a bitstream to a receiver - to be decoded by the receiver - will play fine when instead the player does the decoding and sends the soundtrack as LPCM, which is simply the decoded audio in digital WAV format.

My guess is that it's the overlaying of the periodic HDMI/HDCP "handshakes" (to verify both the receiver's capabilities and the legality of it getting the signal) on top of the bitstream's own programming commands that interferes with a receiver's decoding of the bitstream.

Letting a player decode the bitstream internally - which avoids the frequent "handshake" interruptions that decoding at the other end of an HDMI cable is subjected to - is the usual method of sidestepping this problem.

I use my BDP-93's analog outputs - which also means letting the player decode the disk - and I've never run into any of the audio glitches that routinely get reported on this board for many brands of players and receivers.

You've noted that your playstation gave no problems set to LPCM. Until you set your Oppo to LPCM, you're comparing apples to oranges. I suspect that setting your playstation to bitstream might provoke exactly the same misbehavior, and setting your Oppo to LPCM will similarly avoid the problem.
Thank you for the response! I did run the PS4 on bitsream as well with no issues. How do I let the oppo do the processing?

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
REL R-528 SE (2)
post #6379 of 6390 Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Thank you for the response! I did run the PS4 on bitsream as well with no issues. How do I let the oppo do the processing?
As Bill has been trying to tell you for the past few days, set hdmi audio to LPCM instead of Bitstream....Please do it so we don't have to keep telling you to. Sorry, got carried away there.......
post #6380 of 6390 Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
As Bill has been trying to tell you for the past few days, set hdmi audio to LPCM instead of Bitstream....Please do it so we don't have to keep telling you to. Sorry, got carried away there.......
It's running right now. Since it takes 3 hours to do I need the time to do it. I will update when I wake up at 2 lol

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
REL R-528 SE (2)
post #6381 of 6390 Old Today, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

The LPCM format did NOT drop the audio. Assuming it's an HDMI/HDCP handshake issue would you think it's a defective disc because it occurs in that same time of the movie (and I have never had this issue prior) or do you think it's due to a bad HDMI pin? Thanks again for your help.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
REL R-528 SE (2)
post #6382 of 6390 Old Today, 01:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 12
May I ask what kind of disc (DVD or Blu-Ray) and what sound output (5.1 Dolby Surround or 5.1 HD-MA)? I have the DVD, maybe I should try out for such occurrence.
Quote:
An update on the Schindlers List audio drop out: I let the movie run from the beginning and around the same time as previously mentioned the audio dropped out again. It was in a different spot about 30 seconds pats the previous drop out. The audio comes back on after a rewind but not after a pause. It does not Drop Out if I start a chapter over it appears like the whole movie has to be played. The disc is clean and I don't know why it keeps doing this. Any thoughts? Bad disc?
post #6383 of 6390 Old Today, 05:02 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
The LPCM format did NOT drop the audio.
Rejoice!

Quote:
Assuming it's an HDMI/HDCP handshake issue would you think it's a defective disc because it occurs in that same time of the movie (and I have never had this issue prior)
I suspect every replacement disc will be the same.

Quote:
or do you think it's due to a bad HDMI pin? Thanks again for your help.
You can try new cables (that is always worth doing when struggling with HDMI) but I would not be surprised if it is a disc authoring issue.

This is not a constant issue with Blu-ray disc authoring but it does come up regularly. Try searching the other forums for TOTAL RECALL (2012) problems. Widespread agony and promises of a reissue (which I think were not fulfilled). It was a Sony disc and even Sony players failed with it. Sony's advice: use LPCM.

-Bill

post #6384 of 6390 Old Today, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
May I ask what kind of disc (DVD or Blu-Ray) and what sound output (5.1 Dolby Surround or 5.1 HD-MA)? I have the DVD, maybe I should try out for such occurrence.
It was the BD and lossless format.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
REL R-528 SE (2)
post #6385 of 6390 Old Today, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Rejoice!

You can try new cables (that is always worth doing when struggling with HDMI) but I would not be surprised if it is a disc authoring issue.

This is not a constant issue with Blu-ray disc authoring but it does come up regularly. Try searching the other forums for TOTAL RECALL (2012) problems. Widespread agony and promises of a reissue (which I think were not fulfilled). It was a Sony disc and even Sony players failed with it. Sony's advice: use LPCM.

-Bill
Thanks again for the help!

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
REL R-528 SE (2)
post #6386 of 6390 Old Today, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 124
With all this talk of bitstream and lpcm what do most set theirs at?

With it being an Oppo player and not a run of the mill unit would it make a difference?

I'm running my Oppo in bitstream to my Denon 4520ci. Now would the Oppo do a better job that the Denon? I know, try it, but would love to hear some opinions.
post #6387 of 6390 Old Today, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 381
I've always used bitstream from the player, but Im a let video devices do video and audio devices do audio person. That being said, im sure both the 4520 and Oppo do either fine.

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
Denon 4520CI / Emotiva XPA-3
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #6388 of 6390 Old Today, 07:02 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post

With it being an Oppo player and not a run of the mill unit would it make a difference?

I'm running my Oppo in bitstream to my Denon 4520ci. Now would the Oppo do a better job that the Denon? I know, try it, but would love to hear some opinions.
It should make no difference. Bob supplied this answer in the old BDP-83 FAQ and it still applies: Should I perform audio decoding in the player or in the receiver?

-Bill

post #6389 of 6390 Old Today, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Rejoice!

-Bill
You're correct. I purchased a new disc in in the exact same spot the audio was lost.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
REL R-528 SE (2)
post #6390 of 6390 Old Today, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post

I have my HDMI Audio set to bitstream, but I recently set my SACD Output to PCM, based on something I read about DSD having to be converted to PCM in the receiver before applying Audyssey. Now I wonder if the same thing applies to my HDMI Audio setting.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page