Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 214 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #6391 of 7741 Old 01-30-2015, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey Guys,

I've had my 103D hooked up for a few days and still am getting used to it. I also have a new amp and PJ so I have a steep learning curve.

I have an issue I hope someone can help me with. ONLY when I play a DVD or watch Netflix and YouTube from the OPPO I get a loss of video to the projector for three to five seconds. The audio continues to play with no interruption except that when the video kicks back in it is always advanced from where it stopped and where the audio was when the picture returns. This happens whether the Darbee is on or off. I had a PJ menu pulled up once when it occurred and when the picture returned the menu had reset to the base "Menu". That almost makes me think it is a PJ issue which by the way is a new 5030UBe.

Hope someone can help me with this. Never happens watching cable box or Blu-ray.

Also all video to the PJ is through the Epson wireless transmitter. Twenty feet away and direct line of sight. OPPO video is to the Wireless with a HDMI cord. Audio is for now analog from OPPO to amp.

Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6392 of 7741 Old 01-30-2015, 11:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 242
^ It's pretty normal to have delays of on-screen content when switching to a new video source, or switching between video resolutions.
(Especially if you have the player doing Source Direct, but in your case I would go with 1080p output.)
The fact that you are also using a wireless video device may also be exacerbating the issue.
As long as the video isn't delayed for more than a few seconds, and is then ok after that until switching to a new source or resolution,
then again it's pretty standard and just something most people have to live with.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #6393 of 7741 Old 01-31-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ It's pretty normal to have delays of on-screen content when switching to a new video source, or switching between video resolutions.
(Especially if you have the player doing Source Direct, but in your case I would go with 1080p output.)
The fact that you are also using a wireless video device may also be exacerbating the issue.
As long as the video isn't delayed for more than a few seconds, and is then ok after that until switching to a new source or resolution,
then again it's pretty standard and just something most people have to live with.
I'm sorry I guess I didn't explain that well this isn't when changing sources it is while watching like ten, twenty, thirty minutes in. Not those exact numbers just whenever it feels like it. It may happen twice in ten minutes and then it might not happen again for thirty minutes or it may happen every two minutes. Oddly it does seem to happen during the action sequences like the video processor is overloaded so it stalls to catch up but when it restarts it might be ten or fifteen minutes further into the movie than where it stalled.

post #6394 of 7741 Old 01-31-2015, 12:51 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman270 View Post
I'm sorry I guess I didn't explain that well this isn't when changing sources it is while watching like ten, twenty, thirty minutes in. Not those exact numbers just whenever it feels like it. It may happen twice in ten minutes and then it might not happen again for thirty minutes or it may happen every two minutes. Oddly it does seem to happen during the action sequences like the video processor is overloaded so it stalls to catch up but when it restarts it might be ten or fifteen minutes further into the movie than where it stalled.
Sounds like the periodic copy protection check is failing, thus forcing a new HDMI handshake, and the projector is not reacting well to that. The idea that the projector resets its menu sounds to me like the projector thinks a new source device is talking to it, and it is trying to remember menu settings per source.

The copy protection check happens roughly every 10 minutes. Normally it happens in the background and you notice nothing. But the check LIKES to fail, and if it is unhappy you get a new HDMI handshake which will mute video for a few seconds.

The fact that this is happening with DVD and the Internet apps but not with Blu-ray or your cable TV box suggests to me that your HDMI cabling is unhappy with 1080p/60 video but is OK with the lower bandwidth 1080p/24 (Blu-rays) or 1080i/60 (cable TV).

(If you have your Cable TV box set to output 1080p, then it may simply be the channels you are watching are not Copy Protected.)

To test if this is what is going on set the Output resolution of the OPPO to 1080i and see if the problem goes away. If it does then you need to upgrade your HDMI connection. This could be as simple as reseating all the HDMI plugs back in their sockets.

If you have Deep Color turned ON, also try turning that OFF to reduce bandwidth. Again if that fixes it then that points to your cabling.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6395 of 7741 Old 01-31-2015, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hdcp 2.2

Has anyone heard if OPPO will be adding HDCP 2.2 or can you add the board to the older 103.
post #6396 of 7741 Old 01-31-2015, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by jappleboy View Post
Has anyone heard if OPPO will be adding HDCP 2.2 or can you add the board to the older 103.
It's not possible or even necessary on the BDP-10x players!

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 02-01-2015 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Added the phrase "on the BDP-10x players!" for clarity
post #6397 of 7741 Old 01-31-2015, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Sounds like the periodic copy protection check is failing, thus forcing a new HDMI handshake, and the projector is not reacting well to that. The idea that the projector resets its menu sounds to me like the projector thinks a new source device is talking to it, and it is trying to remember menu settings per source. ... ... ...
Notice he also said he was using a wireless video transmitter. So I suspect that is most likely the source of the issue.
Best way to test that of course is to run an hdmi cable in lieu of the transmitter and see if the issue goes away.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #6398 of 7741 Old 01-31-2015, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Wink Hdcp 2.2

Why do we not need HDCP 2.2 Will the OPPO play ultra 4 K movie i do not think so. I guess i should of ask will OPPO start making mid year the new HDCP 2.2 board so we can start watching ultra hd at the end of the year.
post #6399 of 7741 Old 01-31-2015, 05:22 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by jappleboy View Post
Why do we not need HDCP 2.2 Will the OPPO play ultra 4 K movie i do not think so. I guess i should of ask will OPPO start making mid year the new HDCP 2.2 board so we can start watching ultra hd at the end of the year.
HDCP 2.2 alone isn't going to allow the player to play 4K movies. You're not going to see HDCP 2.2 on the current 10x platform. But you can be sure that the eventual replacement for the 10x platform will have support for playing 4K movies, it just isn't known when that will happen (unlikely until late this year or more likely sometime next year).
post #6400 of 7741 Old 01-31-2015, 06:15 PM
Read the FAQ!

The 10x players will never play UHD Blu-Ray discs. Too much has to change, starting with the optical drive.

On the other hand, I fully expect the first crop of UHD players to come with factory installed gotchas. Until all that gets sorted, which will probably involve tossing the first players and replacing them, there's a lot to be said for having the last and best of the preceding technology!
--Bob
post #6401 of 7741 Old 02-01-2015, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Popped in Star Wars IV last night (bought the whole set on blu-ray the other day) and when it loaded, the bottom-half of the picture was all messed up and the sound was sputtering. Popped it out for a look - clean - popped it back in; same thing. Tried a few more BDs from the set of 6 - same thing! I though I was going to have to go back to BB and return this set of BDs and get a new set, it wasn't cheap! One thought was; could it be the Oppo?

I had been playing music earlier that day and the 103D worked flawlessly, as expected. I had played a movie a few days prior and again; no issues. I'd never had a problem with this player, only hours of pure enjoyment. But every BD I put into the player last night had this exact same problem - only the upper-half of the picture was clear, and the rest was all jumbled, and the sound went in and out and was scratchy and crackly. HDMI cables were checked - all tight, connections looked good.

So I tried one last thing - unplugged it and plugged it back in - fixed! Yay!!...but still; Huh?? I get that complex computing machines can have a glitch from time to time, I would assume serious failures are usually caught in quality control during manufacturing. I also get that this may be a one-and-done sort of thing and I may never see this issue ever again.

Has anyone come across a similar issue with their 103D?
post #6402 of 7741 Old 02-01-2015, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 29
^^Not yet, or hopefully not ever. Owned it for 31 days so far.
post #6403 of 7741 Old 02-01-2015, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philm63 View Post
Popped in Star Wars IV last night (bought the whole set on blu-ray the other day) and when it loaded, the bottom-half of the picture was all messed up and the sound was sputtering. Popped it out for a look - clean - popped it back in; same thing. Tried a few more BDs from the set of 6 - same thing! I though I was going to have to go back to BB and return this set of BDs and get a new set, it wasn't cheap! One thought was; could it be the Oppo?

I had been playing music earlier that day and the 103D worked flawlessly, as expected. I had played a movie a few days prior and again; no issues. I'd never had a problem with this player, only hours of pure enjoyment. But every BD I put into the player last night had this exact same problem - only the upper-half of the picture was clear, and the rest was all jumbled, and the sound went in and out and was scratchy and crackly. HDMI cables were checked - all tight, connections looked good.

So I tried one last thing - unplugged it and plugged it back in - fixed! Yay!!...but still; Huh?? I get that complex computing machines can have a glitch from time to time, I would assume serious failures are usually caught in quality control during manufacturing. I also get that this may be a one-and-done sort of thing and I may never see this issue ever again.

Has anyone come across a similar issue with their 103D?
Nope, have not had that problem with these disks (have had the set for a while) and have played all sorts of music and blurays. It sounds like a one time thing, as you mention, anything complex can get discombobulated (technical term) and out of sorts.

If resetting it fixed it, I'd just chalk it up to chaos and you'll probably never see it again. If it recurs, just call Oppo.
post #6404 of 7741 Old 02-01-2015, 11:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1213 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
The 10x players will never play UHD Blu-Ray discs. Too much has to change, starting with the optical drive.

On the other hand, I fully expect the first crop of UHD players to come with factory installed gotchas. Until all that gets sorted, which will probably involve tossing the first players and replacing them, there's a lot to be said for having the last and best of the preceding technology!
--Bob
Yes indeed! It's why in the last several months I picked up the 103D and the last great plasma, the Samsung F8500, that source/display combo will easily tide me over until the newer technologies have been properly vetted for issues.
post #6405 of 7741 Old 02-01-2015, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3675 Post(s)
Liked: 1512
Anyone know how to use ZOOM when streaming netflix from the oppo?? I like using zoom 1.2 when watching wide screen movies. I can't see to find zoom on the remote phone app, maybe I'm over looking it?
post #6406 of 7741 Old 02-01-2015, 11:35 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Can't be done. The app provided by Netflix blocks that as part of taking over the player's user interface. Check to see if your TV provides an adjustment like this.

If you are playing Netflix into an HDMI Input of the 103D (as from the ROKU Streaming Stick), you still do have access to Zoom.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6407 of 7741 Old 02-01-2015, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Thinking about replacing my PS3 that I only use for bluray and Netflix watching in media/bar room. I saw the Oppo 103 mentioned in another thread and while researching realized the 103D might be better for me.

Current Setup:
Epson Home Cinema 8100
102" screen
Denon AVR-2310ci
HTPC running Plex
PS3 (replacing)
Directv wireless mini
Toshiba HD-DVD

1. My media cabinet is behind seating location. Currently control HTPC with Bluetooth keyboard, PS3 with controller, and Directv with remote in RF mode. Anyone using a Harmony Smart Keyboard with Harmony Hub to control the 103d?

2. In my own head my setup is straight forward. HTPC, Directv, Hd-DVD all to HDMI in on Denon, Denon HDMI out to HDMI 1 in on 103D, then HDMI 1 out of 103d to projector. HDMI 2 out to Denon for bluray watching. Leaving front HDMI on 103d free for Roku/Fire TV stick. Really wish the second HDMI in was on the back.

Am I missing anything? I think this will hold me over for a couple years before converting everything for 4k.
post #6408 of 7741 Old 02-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

^^Just curious, what is the significance of you hooking all the equipment to the 2310ci (by the way I have the same KILLER receiver!) out to the Oppo, then back in to the Denon?? What if you just want to watch TV w/o the receiver, or Oppo being on? How will it pass-though?

This is my setup...

post #6409 of 7741 Old 02-02-2015, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does anyone else notice judder when using the netflix app on their 103? I thought it may just be the shows I was watching, but switched over to my ATV and the same shows were flawless.
I get great resolution and PQ through the netflix app on the 103, but motion seems to be an issue.

I wondered if this was a common problem.
post #6410 of 7741 Old 02-02-2015, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by paligap View Post
I have my HDMI Audio set to bitstream, but I recently set my SACD Output to PCM, based on something I read about DSD having to be converted to PCM in the receiver before applying Audyssey. Now I wonder if the same thing applies to my HDMI Audio setting.
It honestly shouldn't matter either way, unless using Atmos or something requiring bitstreamed audio.
Should be easily checked in your avr's info panel if you are curious when playing a movie etc, either it says DTS-Master HD (or whatever) or multi channel pcm input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamjam View Post
Does anyone else notice judder when using the netflix app on their 103? I thought it may just be the shows I was watching, but switched over to my ATV and the same shows were flawless.
I get great resolution and PQ through the netflix app on the 103, but motion seems to be an issue.

I wondered if this was a common problem.
Yup, known issue.
but It's the same regardless source device I have ever tried is the same judder issues, besides no matter what the point where all streamed media fails is motion resolution, be it netflix, vudu or any other service I have tried.
Just an FIY, I'm in europe so most display devices still report PAL as the prefered mode without any further reasons for it so if your oppo is set to PAL, it outputs 50hz, I decreased the judder noticeably changing that setting to NTSC to get 60hz output, but it is far from gone.

Last edited by TorTorden; 02-02-2015 at 03:17 AM.
post #6411 of 7741 Old 02-02-2015, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Yup, known issue.
but It's the same regardless source device I have ever tried is the same judder issues, besides no matter what the point where all streamed media fails is motion resolution, be it netflix, vudu or any other service I have tried.
Just an FIY, I'm in europe so most display devices still report PAL as the prefered mode without any further reasons for it so if your oppo is set to PAL, it outputs 50hz, I decreased the judder noticeably changing that setting to NTSC to get 60hz output, but it is far from gone.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I have never noticed severe judder on the ATV with netflix. The odd time, but not enough to worry about it. I notice the judder heaps with 103D, and not just in motion scenes. I am in Australia, so am 50hz and PAL as well, so I will change it to NTSC to get 60hz. Thanks for the tip!! So far, that has been my only hiccup with the 103D. Its my first Oppo and I'm loving it.
post #6412 of 7741 Old 02-02-2015, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Sounds like the periodic copy protection check is failing, thus forcing a new HDMI handshake, and the projector is not reacting well to that. The idea that the projector resets its menu sounds to me like the projector thinks a new source device is talking to it, and it is trying to remember menu settings per source.

The copy protection check happens roughly every 10 minutes. Normally it happens in the background and you notice nothing. But the check LIKES to fail, and if it is unhappy you get a new HDMI handshake which will mute video for a few seconds.

The fact that this is happening with DVD and the Internet apps but not with Blu-ray or your cable TV box suggests to me that your HDMI cabling is unhappy with 1080p/60 video but is OK with the lower bandwidth 1080p/24 (Blu-rays) or 1080i/60 (cable TV).

(If you have your Cable TV box set to output 1080p, then it may simply be the channels you are watching are not Copy Protected.)

To test if this is what is going on set the Output resolution of the OPPO to 1080i and see if the problem goes away. If it does then you need to upgrade your HDMI connection. This could be as simple as reseating all the HDMI plugs back in their sockets.

If you have Deep Color turned ON, also try turning that OFF to reduce bandwidth. Again if that fixes it then that points to your cabling.
--Bob
Sorry to take so long to get back to you on this but there was this little game of football that had me distracted. Now I can get back to figuring this out. I will change to 1080i and see if that fixes it. My cable box only does 1080i. I do not think it shows 1080p but I'll look at that too and report back.

post #6413 of 7741 Old 02-02-2015, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
^^Just curious, what is the significance of you hooking all the equipment to the 2310ci (by the way I have the same KILLER receiver!) out to the Oppo, then back in to the Denon?? What if you just want to watch TV w/o the receiver, or Oppo being on? How will it pass-though?
I'm using a projector, Denon has to be on for sound. I'll take a good look at your setup.
post #6414 of 7741 Old 02-02-2015, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

^^Ah, I see. Since you are using a projector I reckon whatever you do you'll need the receiver ON for sound.
The setup I have is for normal TV set. Plug the Direct TV/Cable box (and everything else) in to the receiver and then HDMI OUT to the TV. Set HDMI 'Passthrough' from the Denon to HDMI 3 so when the TV is on, sound will come through, no matter what the last source.
post #6415 of 7741 Old 02-02-2015, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Question for you guys. I'm getting ready to purchase the Oppo BDP-103D for my 7.2.2 home theater. I'm using the Marantz AV7702 pre amp for the Dolby Atmos audio format. Should I have the Oppo set on "sound direct" mode which makes the blu-ray player send out the audio signal without any upscaling and let the Marantz handle the audio upscale for Atmos or will the Marantz still upscale the Atmos with the Oppo set to Dolby? Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by mpjmeyer; 02-02-2015 at 05:45 PM.
post #6416 of 7741 Old 02-02-2015, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 250
See the FAQ in the 103 thread for any setup info. 103D FAQ will answer darbee questions.

Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

There are 2 audio settings Bitstream and PCM. In order to get the Atmos track when available, you MUST set the player to bitstream. The Marantz will do all audio decoding, apply room correction, etc. Nothing needs to be done in the player with audio.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #6417 of 7741 Old 02-03-2015, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
See the FAQ in the 103 thread for any setup info. 103D FAQ will answer darbee questions.

Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

There are 2 audio settings Bitstream and PCM. In order to get the Atmos track when available, you MUST set the player to bitstream. The Marantz will do all audio decoding, apply room correction, etc. Nothing needs to be done in the player with audio.

S~
Thanks for the link to FAQ!

Dummy me never saw the FAQ links although I've been reading the other 6 zillion pots (actually 20100 as of this morning 2/3/2015)!

post #6418 of 7741 Old 02-04-2015, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi, what is the proper channel for me to suggest to OPPO on including "ext3" file-system format support in future firmware? Thank you.
post #6419 of 7741 Old 02-04-2015, 04:11 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1259 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by raif71 View Post
Hi, what is the proper channel for me to suggest to OPPO on including "ext3" file-system format support in future firmware? Thank you.
There is a contact form on their web page. It's a small office: suggestions get to the right people.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #6420 of 7741 Old 02-04-2015, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 57
In trying to get my oppo to connect to my network in order to view/play files on my Mac. What software can I use to do this?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page