Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 214 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #6391 of 6402 Old Yesterday, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey Guys,

I've had my 103D hooked up for a few days and still am getting used to it. I also have a new amp and PJ so I have a steep learning curve.

I have an issue I hope someone can help me with. ONLY when I play a DVD or watch Netflix and YouTube from the OPPO I get a loss of video to the projector for three to five seconds. The audio continues to play with no interruption except that when the video kicks back in it is always advanced from where it stopped and where the audio was when the picture returns. This happens whether the Darbee is on or off. I had a PJ menu pulled up once when it occurred and when the picture returned the menu had reset to the base "Menu". That almost makes me think it is a PJ issue which by the way is a new 5030UBe.

Hope someone can help me with this. Never happens watching cable box or Blu-ray.

Also all video to the PJ is through the Epson wireless transmitter. Twenty feet away and direct line of sight. OPPO video is to the Wireless with a HDMI cord. Audio is for now analog from OPPO to amp.

Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6392 of 6402 Old Yesterday, 12:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 199
^ It's pretty normal to have delays of on-screen content when switching to a new video source, or switching between video resolutions.
(Especially if you have the player doing Source Direct, but in your case I would go with 1080p output.)
The fact that you are also using a wireless video device may also be exacerbating the issue.
As long as the video isn't delayed for more than a few seconds, and is then ok after that until switching to a new source or resolution,
then again it's pretty standard and just something most people have to live with.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #6393 of 6402 Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ It's pretty normal to have delays of on-screen content when switching to a new video source, or switching between video resolutions.
(Especially if you have the player doing Source Direct, but in your case I would go with 1080p output.)
The fact that you are also using a wireless video device may also be exacerbating the issue.
As long as the video isn't delayed for more than a few seconds, and is then ok after that until switching to a new source or resolution,
then again it's pretty standard and just something most people have to live with.
I'm sorry I guess I didn't explain that well this isn't when changing sources it is while watching like ten, twenty, thirty minutes in. Not those exact numbers just whenever it feels like it. It may happen twice in ten minutes and then it might not happen again for thirty minutes or it may happen every two minutes. Oddly it does seem to happen during the action sequences like the video processor is overloaded so it stalls to catch up but when it restarts it might be ten or fifteen minutes further into the movie than where it stalled.

Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola FL
post #6394 of 6402 Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman270 View Post
I'm sorry I guess I didn't explain that well this isn't when changing sources it is while watching like ten, twenty, thirty minutes in. Not those exact numbers just whenever it feels like it. It may happen twice in ten minutes and then it might not happen again for thirty minutes or it may happen every two minutes. Oddly it does seem to happen during the action sequences like the video processor is overloaded so it stalls to catch up but when it restarts it might be ten or fifteen minutes further into the movie than where it stalled.
Sounds like the periodic copy protection check is failing, thus forcing a new HDMI handshake, and the projector is not reacting well to that. The idea that the projector resets its menu sounds to me like the projector thinks a new source device is talking to it, and it is trying to remember menu settings per source.

The copy protection check happens roughly every 10 minutes. Normally it happens in the background and you notice nothing. But the check LIKES to fail, and if it is unhappy you get a new HDMI handshake which will mute video for a few seconds.

The fact that this is happening with DVD and the Internet apps but not with Blu-ray or your cable TV box suggests to me that your HDMI cabling is unhappy with 1080p/60 video but is OK with the lower bandwidth 1080p/24 (Blu-rays) or 1080i/60 (cable TV).

(If you have your Cable TV box set to output 1080p, then it may simply be the channels you are watching are not Copy Protected.)

To test if this is what is going on set the Output resolution of the OPPO to 1080i and see if the problem goes away. If it does then you need to upgrade your HDMI connection. This could be as simple as reseating all the HDMI plugs back in their sockets.

If you have Deep Color turned ON, also try turning that OFF to reduce bandwidth. Again if that fixes it then that points to your cabling.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6395 of 6402 Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hdcp 2.2

Has anyone heard if OPPO will be adding HDCP 2.2 or can you add the board to the older 103.
post #6396 of 6402 Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jappleboy View Post
Has anyone heard if OPPO will be adding HDCP 2.2 or can you add the board to the older 103.
It's not possible or even necessary on the BDP-10x players!

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; Today at 03:53 AM. Reason: Added the phrase "on the BDP-10x players!" for clarity
post #6397 of 6402 Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Sounds like the periodic copy protection check is failing, thus forcing a new HDMI handshake, and the projector is not reacting well to that. The idea that the projector resets its menu sounds to me like the projector thinks a new source device is talking to it, and it is trying to remember menu settings per source. ... ... ...
Notice he also said he was using a wireless video transmitter. So I suspect that is most likely the source of the issue.
Best way to test that of course is to run an hdmi cable in lieu of the transmitter and see if the issue goes away.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #6398 of 6402 Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wink Hdcp 2.2

Why do we not need HDCP 2.2 Will the OPPO play ultra 4 K movie i do not think so. I guess i should of ask will OPPO start making mid year the new HDCP 2.2 board so we can start watching ultra hd at the end of the year.
post #6399 of 6402 Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by jappleboy View Post
Why do we not need HDCP 2.2 Will the OPPO play ultra 4 K movie i do not think so. I guess i should of ask will OPPO start making mid year the new HDCP 2.2 board so we can start watching ultra hd at the end of the year.
HDCP 2.2 alone isn't going to allow the player to play 4K movies. You're not going to see HDCP 2.2 on the current 10x platform. But you can be sure that the eventual replacement for the 10x platform will have support for playing 4K movies, it just isn't known when that will happen (unlikely until late this year or more likely sometime next year).
post #6400 of 6402 Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 1070
The 10x players will never play UHD Blu-Ray discs. Too much has to change, starting with the optical drive.

On the other hand, I fully expect the first crop of UHD players to come with factory installed gotchas. Until all that gets sorted, which will probably involve tossing the first players and replacing them, there's a lot to be said for having the last and best of the preceding technology!
--Bob
post #6401 of 6402 Old Today, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Popped in Star Wars IV last night (bought the whole set on blu-ray the other day) and when it loaded, the bottom-half of the picture was all messed up and the sound was sputtering. Popped it out for a look - clean - popped it back in; same thing. Tried a few more BDs from the set of 6 - same thing! I though I was going to have to go back to BB and return this set of BDs and get a new set, it wasn't cheap! One thought was; could it be the Oppo?

I had been playing music earlier that day and the 103D worked flawlessly, as expected. I had played a movie a few days prior and again; no issues. I'd never had a problem with this player, only hours of pure enjoyment. But every BD I put into the player last night had this exact same problem - only the upper-half of the picture was clear, and the rest was all jumbled, and the sound went in and out and was scratchy and crackly. HDMI cables were checked - all tight, connections looked good.

So I tried one last thing - unplugged it and plugged it back in - fixed! Yay!!...but still; Huh?? I get that complex computing machines can have a glitch from time to time, I would assume serious failures are usually caught in quality control during manufacturing. I also get that this may be a one-and-done sort of thing and I may never see this issue ever again.

Has anyone come across a similar issue with their 103D?
post #6402 of 6402 Old Today, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 12
^^Not yet, or hopefully not ever. Owned it for 31 days so far.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page