Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 217 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #6481 of 7436 Old 02-09-2015, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Can u run an hdmi from sat/ cable into the 103D and then out to a reciever that upscales to 4k and still get the darby difference?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6482 of 7436 Old 02-09-2015, 04:07 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
^ Yes. The Darbee processing is done at 1080p. 4K output upscaling, if selected, happens after that.
--Bob
Chere likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6483 of 7436 Old 02-09-2015, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Is oppo upgrading a new version of this player soon?
post #6484 of 7436 Old 02-09-2015, 04:13 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
No

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6485 of 7436 Old 02-09-2015, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I received my copy of Schindler's List back from Oppo with no note or report on what happened. I had also not received a call or email. I called and talked to their customer service and was informed that Oppo is aware of the situation where MANY movies that exceed the 3 hour limit drop audio after the 3 hour mark. The reported that they are in contact currently with their software developers and trying to figure out a fix via firmware update. It is not only the 103 players as it effects every generation of their players apparently. I wish they would have told me this prior to me spending $9 on shipping for them to ship it right back.... C'mon Oppo....you are better than this.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Marantz AV8801 pre-pro / MM8077 amp
Martin Logan Motion 50XT Center
Martin Logan Motion 60XT Fronts/40 Rears
REL R-528 SE (2)
Oppo BDP-103D/Playstation 4/Furman ELITE-20 PF i
post #6486 of 7436 Old 02-09-2015, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 235
$9??? Was that Overnight Express??
Next time, ask them for a shipping label. They can email it and you can print it out and tape it to your package.
Of course you didn't have to send it in, but they should have let you know what was going on with a thank-you note too.
More than likely the disc changed hands from whom it was originally requested by and probably didn't realize why it was sent or being returned.
(the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing) ...or maybe they just don't like the Vikings.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #6487 of 7436 Old 02-09-2015, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post
I received my copy of Schindler's List back from Oppo with no note or report on what happened. I had also not received a call or email. I called and talked to their customer service and was informed that Oppo is aware of the situation where MANY movies that exceed the 3 hour limit drop audio after the 3 hour mark. The reported that they are in contact currently with their software developers and trying to figure out a fix via firmware update. It is not only the 103 players as it effects every generation of their players apparently. I wish they would have told me this prior to me spending $9 on shipping for them to ship it right back.... C'mon Oppo....you are better than this.
Sorry if this has been suggested before but if you could remux the movie to an mkv format and see whether playing the file will cause the audio drop. Hmm...audio drop after 3 hour mark...sounds serious and totally unacceptable.
post #6488 of 7436 Old 02-09-2015, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 171
With the just announced addition of AMC to the Sling TV line up, I'm considering subscribing to this service. Does anyone know yet what the resolution is on the Roku Stick? Hopefully it'll be 1080p @ 60HZ even preferably 24HZ and not the lower 720p as the Amazon prime app.
post #6489 of 7436 Old 02-09-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
$9??? Was that Overnight Express??
Next time, ask them for a shipping label. They can email it and you can print it out and tape it to your package.
Of course you didn't have to send it in, but they should have let you know what was going on with a thank-you note too.
More than likely the disc changed hands from whom it was originally requested by and probably didn't realize why it was sent or being returned.
(the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing) ...or maybe they just don't like the Vikings.
Haha! I didn't overnight it as it took 4 days to arrive there. They told me to mail it to them. I'm guessing they didn't demo the disc which is disappointing as I had talked with them on the phone twice and they said they have not heard of anything with this disc. Then I call and they said multiple reports have been filed with long 3 Hour movies dropping out (TLOTR and Titanic were quoted). He proceeded to say wait for a firmware update that could be a week or three months. But they said they are working on it. I'm not happy for one that the player has trouble with a 3 hour movie and two that they didn't do anything to resolve the issue. I left two detailed notes within the case that describes everything and included my contact information. Completely unacceptable.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
REL R-528 SE (2)
post #6490 of 7436 Old 02-09-2015, 09:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, X_Machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4770 Post(s)
Liked: 1944
Thanks doc for the info on that; I did not know.
post #6491 of 7436 Old 02-09-2015, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
.... Then I call and they said multiple reports have been filed with long 3 Hour movies dropping out (TLOTR and Titanic were quoted). He proceeded to say wait for a firmware update that could be a week or three months. But they said they are working on it. I'm not happy for one that the player has trouble with a 3 hour movie and two that they didn't do anything to resolve the issue.
This is the first time I've heard anyone mention this issue on any of the 10x forums. Certainly somebody else on these forums must have watched a 3+ hr movie before...
post #6492 of 7436 Old 02-09-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
This is the first time I've heard anyone mention this issue on any of the 10x forums. Certainly somebody else on these forums must have watched a 3+ hr movie before...
Keep in mind that the movie cannot be stopped prior to the 3 hour mark for the audio to drop out. At least that was the case in my situation. No bathroom breaks

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
REL R-528 SE (2)
post #6493 of 7436 Old 02-10-2015, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
I called and talked to their customer service and was informed that Oppo is aware of the situation where MANY movies that exceed the 3 hour limit drop audio after the 3 hour mark. The reported that they are in contact currently with their software developers and trying to figure out a fix via firmware update. It is not only the 103 players as it effects every generation of their players apparently.
I've run into the issue you describe above several times using my Oppo 93 with one of the recent Hobbit (extended version) blu-rays being one example. I've ordered a new Oppo 103D that is due to come in later this week, so I guess that unit will do the same until a firmware fix is released. At least now I know it was the player causing the issue.

oz
post #6494 of 7436 Old 02-10-2015, 07:31 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post
I've run into the issue you describe above several times using my Oppo 93 with one of the recent Hobbit (extended version) blu-rays being one example. I've ordered a new Oppo 103D that is due to come in later this week, so I guess that unit will do the same until a firmware fix is released. At least now I know it was the player causing the issue.
Was this without pausing of any sort? That's going to be troublesome to test. You'd have to let it play for three hours and then be there before the disc ends.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    

Last edited by wmcclain; 02-10-2015 at 10:40 AM.
post #6495 of 7436 Old 02-10-2015, 07:37 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Was this without pausing of any sort? That's going to troublesome to test. You'd have to let it play for three hours and then be there before the disc ends.

-Bill
Just sit a tester down in front of a TV, tape their eyes open, and give them mild shocks at regular intervals to make sure they don't fall to sleep.
dsinger and DrMichael like this.
post #6496 of 7436 Old 02-10-2015, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have Titanic BR and never played it, will see if this affects my unit. Do I have to watch it from start or can I just forward near the three-hour mark?
Quote:
Haha! I didn't overnight it as it took 4 days to arrive there. They told me to mail it to them. I'm guessing they didn't demo the disc which is disappointing as I had talked with them on the phone twice and they said they have not heard of anything with this disc. Then I call and they said multiple reports have been filed with long 3 Hour movies dropping out (TLOTR and Titanic were quoted). He proceeded to say wait for a firmware update that could be a week or three months. But they said they are working on it. I'm not happy for one that the player has trouble with a 3 hour movie and two that they didn't do anything to resolve the issue. I left two detailed notes within the case that describes everything and included my contact information. Completely unacceptable.
post #6497 of 7436 Old 02-10-2015, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Missed this post. Guess I'll have to dread through 3 hours and see what happens.
Quote:
Keep in mind that the movie cannot be stopped prior to the 3 hour mark for the audio to drop out. At least that was the case in my situation. No bathroom breaks
post #6498 of 7436 Old 02-10-2015, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have recently watched both Titanic and Lawrence of Arabia (single disc) blu-rays without any loss of audio on my 103D.
post #6499 of 7436 Old 02-10-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayertonsenna View Post
I have recently watched both Titanic and Lawrence of Arabia (single disc) blu-rays without any loss of audio on my 103D.
Without pausing once?
post #6500 of 7436 Old 02-10-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayertonsenna View Post
Yep, I recently watched the 50th anniversary edition of Lawrence of Arabia on my BDP-103EU... Without any playback issues...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #6501 of 7436 Old 02-10-2015, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Without pausing once?
correct
post #6502 of 7436 Old 02-10-2015, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Was this without pausing of any sort? That's going to troublesome to test. You'd have to let it play for three hours and then be there before the disc ends.
Hi, Bill

It's been a few weeks since this happened, so I can't remember for sure, but I don't recall doing any pausing on the movies that this happened with. The first time it did this, I was thinking about how it was nearly to the end of the movie when it occurred, but then I didn't give it much thought after that until it happened again with another long movie, just before it reached the ending. That time, I thought about the fact that it was right around the 3 hour mark in both cases. If memory serves, it was the extended versions of the first and second Hobbit films by Peter Jackson that I was watching.

Hope this info is helpful to you in some way and do let me know should you have further questions.

oz
post #6503 of 7436 Old 02-10-2015, 11:30 AM

Update from Oppo:

I emailed them late last night asking for more clarification of the issue. Here is their prompt response:
".....When he had first talked to you he was not aware that there were other reported films over that weekend with DTS-HD Master which were experiencing issues with the audio dropping out after 3 hours of continuous playback, so he had requested that you send in the disc for compatibility testing. In the interim between you sending the disc and us receiving the disc, we had already replicated this issue on other Blu-ray titles that we already owned....As **** already explained over the phone last evening, this issue affects all of our players (we have not tested competitor players) where a DTS-HD Master soundtrack is played and the run time is more than 3 hours. At this time we do not know what is causing the errors, but our engineers are aware of it and will be working to address it through a future firmware release."

I am impressed with Oppo as they were very quick to respond. Hopefully they figure this out and fix it via firmware soon.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
REL R-528 SE (2)
post #6504 of 7436 Old 02-10-2015, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I watched "Gods and Generals" Directors Cut > 5 hr`s + "Gettysburg" Directors Cut >4 hr`s , both with no issues.

Of course I did have to stop a few times , so your saying that if I did not , I would have lost DTS audio via optical cable to my amp ? or is this just another HDMI issue ?

If it is just an HDMI issue is that with using one HDMI to monitor and one for audio or is it going through and receiver with pass through audio ?

Just curios because someday , my Yamaha DSP-A1G , will cease to function , and I will be looking for a replacement , of course I have already looked , and each time I do , whatever I look at has to have enough optical inputs to cover my needs so I don`t have to rely solely on using HDMI as my only source for audio hookup.

Take care , guy`s

Later ,

Gary 
post #6505 of 7436 Old 02-10-2015, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post
I watched "Gods and Generals" Directors Cut > 5 hr`s + "Gettysburg" Directors Cut >4 hr`s , both with no issues.

Of course I did have to stop a few times , so your saying that if I did not , I would have lost DTS audio via optical cable to my amp ? or is this just another HDMI issue ?

If it is just an HDMI issue is that with using one HDMI to monitor and one for audio or is it going through and receiver with pass through audio ?

Just curios because someday , my Yamaha DSP-A1G , will cease to function , and I will be looking for a replacement , of course I have already looked , and each time I do , whatever I look at has to have enough optical inputs to cover my needs so I don`t have to rely solely on using HDMI as my only source for audio hookup.

Take care , guy`s

Later ,

Gary 
Funny, I just did this, not to test this, but to watch Gods and Generals and had no problem with audio.
post #6506 of 7436 Old 02-10-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post

Take care , guy`s

Later ,

Gary 
My understanding is it is through HDMI. I have mine to the pre-amp via 1 hdmi cable. I think I remember them aging last night that they were unsure if optical would cause the issue.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
REL R-528 SE (2)
post #6507 of 7436 Old 02-10-2015, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Just finished watching the Titanic Blu-Ray and DTS-MA audio muted at 3:06:29 (where Rose met Jack again by the clock) and completely cut off. Picture kept playing w/o affect.
Disc: Single Disc movie (Paramount/Fox Searchlight Blu-Ray+DVD+Digital Copy 4-Disc Set)

Kind of bummed me out for a $600+ machine! Hope Oppo fix the issue soon or it's going back, I don't care how long I've had it.
post #6508 of 7436 Old 02-10-2015, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Thanks guy`s

Good movies , Ron Maxwell and Ted Turner needed to do "Last Full Measure"

Very disappointed to hear that Turner did not want to do it because of bad ratings.

Of course they will get bad ratings , they are long movies !!

You can`t tell a historical movie in 90 min.`s , and sadly that is the attention span of the modern movie goer , so yes , they could have done better , BUT , they could not have been MADE better. Great movies , just fantastic.

If you liked those and have somehow missed "The Right Stuff" , you need to see that as well. Long yes , 3+ hours , worth it , YES. Since I bought it on VHS back in `85 it has always been in my library , from VHS to LD to DVD to BluRay , a MUST see for history nuts !!

Later

G. 
post #6509 of 7436 Old 02-10-2015, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Update from Oppo
Thanks for posting the Oppo update, DrMichael.

I'm glad to know that this is a real issue and not just some quirk that was only happening on my end. Yeah, I'm too am happy that they are aware of the problem and are moving to get it corrected right away. Will be watching for that firmware upgrade!
DrMichael likes this.

oz
post #6510 of 7436 Old 02-10-2015, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 17
As far as I know, both DFF and DSF files should be supported by Oppo. I have extracted both file formats from SACDs using sacd_extract via Sonore's iso2dsd Java GUI interface however only DSFs file can only be played. My question to all is that have you guys successfully played DFFs using Oppo and if so how did you extract them? I prefer DFFs as they are faster to extract compared to DSFs. Thank you.

Updated: DFF extraction has 2 options actually which are with DST (compression) and DSD. Default is with DST which is what my DFF was. DST compression is not supported by OPPO using usb media but supported if it is on SACD disc so that is why my extracted DFFs didn't work. After extracting again the SACD using DSD DFF, all is fine but again this too takes time, comparable to DSF extraction. After reading around, I'm under the impression it is best to extract to DSF as opposed to DFF as DSF support metadata tagging.

Last edited by raif71; 02-11-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page