Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 220 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #6571 of 7215 Old 02-14-2015, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hahn View Post
Hi Folks,

New member here with, what I think, anyway, is a new question...

I have a 103D. Love it. Except for one thing: I notice about a half second to a second delay on audio when beginning a program on either Blu Ray or CD files. In short, when starting a CD it will always miss the very beginning of the track.
You're waiting for an audio handshake on the HDMI link. Every setup is different in this regard, but there's always some delay. If you use analog connects its not as much of a problem. Be sure you have the latest firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6572 of 7215 Old 02-14-2015, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
You're waiting for an audio handshake on the HDMI link. Every setup is different in this regard, but there's always some delay. If you use analog connects its not as much of a problem. Be sure you have the latest firmware.
This could, in fact, be the case, but I'm not sure. I have the latest firmware. Also, there was an identical issue with my Oppo DVD player--which I had hooked up both via optical and coax. digital cable, so no HDMI handshake issue there.

Was wondering if there was some sort of setting I was getting wrong on both players.
post #6573 of 7215 Old 02-14-2015, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Have you tried this from pg. 73 of the manual?

S E T U P M E N U O P T I O N S
5. A/V Sync: Allows you to add a slight delay to the audio so it is synchronized to the video. You may
use the LEFT/RIGHT ARROW buttons on the remote to decrease/increase the audio delay. The delay
can be adjusted in 10ms steps and within the range of -100ms to +200ms. The delayed time will be
applied to all output terminals including HDMI 1 and 2, Coaxial, Optical, and 7.1 outputs.

NOTE
The actual audio delay effect might be different for each of the output terminals due to the
different audio process algorithms and signal paths used for each output. Please adjust this
setting based on the actual output terminal in use.
The negative adjustment values are for cancelling out the audio delay that the player
automatically applies. Depending on the video source and the time it takes to process the
video, the main decoder chip automatically applies an audio delay in order to optimize audio
video synchronization. The negative manual settings reduce the automatic audio delay, while
the positive manual settings apply additional delay. Any negative value setting beyond the
player's automatic delay will be treated as completely cancelling the automatic delay. For
example, if the "A/V Sync" value is manually set to -100ms and for the current video source
the player applies a 70ms automatic audio delay, the final result is that the 70ms audio delay
gets cancelled and the audio is not delayed at all. It is not possible to put audio ahead of video
using this setting.
For content sent through HDMI IN, the "A/V Sync" adjustment only works with positive values.

Quote:
This could, in fact, be the case, but I'm not sure. I have the latest firmware. Also, there was an identical issue with my Oppo DVD player--which I had hooked up both via optical and coax. digital cable, so no HDMI handshake issue there.

Was wondering if there was some sort of setting I was getting wrong on both players.
post #6574 of 7215 Old 02-14-2015, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi 80sGuy,

The problem I'm experiencing is not a delay, but the chopping off of the first half second or so of content. Once it starts, all is in sync.
post #6575 of 7215 Old 02-15-2015, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
The problem I'm experiencing is not a delay, but the chopping off of the first half second or so of content. Once it starts, all is in sync.
What make/model of surround sound receiver do you use with your Oppo?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #6576 of 7215 Old 02-15-2015, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Oppo 103 Darbee Version

I am going to upgrade my Oppo BDP-83 probably to the 103 Darbee. Are there any other models that compete in the video and audio range of the 103 Darbee that I should consider and look at that are in the same or lower price range as the 103D? Please help me out here guys, I know you know if there are any. Thanks so much for your help and have a great day.

Thank you.

Golffnutt

"GO DAWGS" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #6577 of 7215 Old 02-15-2015, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
We are going to live in interesting times. For example, I suspect the combo of HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 is going to mean people with long HDMI runs will make the exciting discovery that stuff doesn't work anymore. Not to mention people who run HDMI through intervening devices -- even just switches.

Plus the whole "awkward compatible" situation with older gear.

The studios are going to be very VERY serious about not wanting 4K content copied. If you think they are paranoid now, you ain't seen nuthin' yet.
--Bob
I have Oppo93>DVDO Duo>Onkyo AVP>JVC 4910. The Redmere HDMI cable run from the AVP to the 4910 is 40'. I can see problems in the future for me and a lot of others. I would guess Oppo will have some UHD replacement player for the 103D ready to announce at CEDIA this fall. Monoprice has 18Gbps rated cables, but only up to 15'. I hope someone comes up with reasonable and cost effective solution for the bandwidth needed for cascaded devices and long cable runs or the new (?) Oppo will be a non-starter for me. I will buy the 103D, give my bedroom Oppo 80 to my ex-GF, and stay Blu-ray forever.

Last edited by lorjam; 02-16-2015 at 03:48 PM.
post #6578 of 7215 Old 02-15-2015, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorjam View Post
I will buy the 103D, give my bedroom Oppo 80 to my ex-GF, and stay Blu-ray forever.
Dude she's your ex. You don't have to give her things any more! Unless she had one hell of a lawyer!
Smarty-pants likes this.

I caved!
post #6579 of 7215 Old 02-15-2015, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
Dude she's your ex. You don't have to give her things any more! Unless she had one hell of a lawyer!
We parted on good terms, we're still friends, and more important, if I get the 103D the 93 goes in the bedroom and I don't need the 80 anymore anyway.
post #6580 of 7215 Old 02-15-2015, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorjam View Post
We parted on good terms, we're still friends, and more important, if I get the 103D the 93 goes in the bedroom and I don't need the 80 anymore anyway.
Awww sooo sweeet. She'll think of you everytime she uses the 80
post #6581 of 7215 Old 02-15-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt View Post
I am going to upgrade my Oppo BDP-83 probably to the 103 Darbee. Are there any other models that compete in the video and audio range of the 103 Darbee that I should consider and look at that are in the same or lower price range as the 103D? Please help me out here guys, I know you know if there are any. Thanks so much for your help and have a great day.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest the new Pioneer LX-58 Bluray player. Would like to know other's opinion on this player as well.
post #6582 of 7215 Old 02-15-2015, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post
I received my copy of Schindler's List back from Oppo with no note or report on what happened. I had also not received a call or email. I called and talked to their customer service and was informed that Oppo is aware of the situation where MANY movies that exceed the 3 hour limit drop audio after the 3 hour mark. The reported that they are in contact currently with their software developers and trying to figure out a fix via firmware update. It is not only the 103 players as it effects every generation of their players apparently. I wish they would have told me this prior to me spending $9 on shipping for them to ship it right back.... C'mon Oppo....you are better than this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
Just finished watching the Titanic Blu-Ray and DTS-MA audio muted at 3:06:29 (where Rose met Jack again by the clock) and completely cut off. Picture kept playing w/o affect.
Disc: Single Disc movie (Paramount/Fox Searchlight Blu-Ray+DVD+Digital Copy 4-Disc Set)

Kind of bummed me out for a $600+ machine! Hope Oppo fix the issue soon or it's going back, I don't care how long I've had it.

I just want to report that I watched Titanic (4 disc set) from beginning to end with out pausing and I did not have the audio stop. Of course I have the BDP 83 and I am running the firmware before the current update.
I have my OPPO set to bit stream 1080p/24, Deep Color selected, started with cleared persistence storage, HDMI cables are BlueJeans, Receiver is Onkyo SR609 with updated HDMI board and set to passthrough, TV is a 8G 5010 Pioneer Kuro running 72hz. I put the disc in the player and let it get to the Top Menu and then selected play. I let the movie run right through to the end where it goes back to the main menu.
From the information posted I am assuming that the 83, 93, 103 model player s are affected. When I have time I will try Schindlers List.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #6583 of 7215 Old 02-15-2015, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
I just want to report that I watched Titanic (4 disc set) from beginning to end with out pausing and I did not have the audio stop. Of course I have the BDP 83 and I am running the firmware before the current update.
I have my OPPO set to bit stream 1080p/24, Deep Color selected, started with cleared persistence storage, HDMI cables are BlueJeans, Receiver is Onkyo SR609 with updated HDMI board and set to passthrough, TV is a 8G 5010 Pioneer Kuro running 72hz. I put the disc in the player and let it get to the Top Menu and then selected play. I let the movie run right through to the end where it goes back to the main menu.
From the information posted I am assuming that the 83, 93, 103 model player s are affected. When I have time I will try Schindlers List.
my condolences to you for having to sit through that...
post #6584 of 7215 Old 02-15-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raif71 View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest the new Pioneer LX-58 Bluray player. Would like to know other's opinion on this player as well.
That's quite a limb...There is no way I would take ANY pioneer bluray player over an Oppo. Even if I had a Pioneer receiver and wanted it to match...
raif71 likes this.
post #6585 of 7215 Old 02-15-2015, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Hi 80sGuy,

If it's less than a few seconds it sounds like what I get. It's the receiver figuring out which audio mode coming in.

If you let the oppo do the decoding by setting output lpcm then you will not have that issue at all. Try it and see.
post #6586 of 7215 Old 02-15-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
If it's less than a few seconds it sounds like what I get. It's the receiver figuring out which audio mode coming in.

If you let the oppo do the decoding by setting output lpcm then you will not have that issue at all. Try it and see.
good advice unless it is an atmos disc...
post #6587 of 7215 Old 02-15-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post

The horror!! In my case, I'd like the receiver to show DTS HD-MA/True-HD etc as oppose to PCM. Wouldn't want it any other way unless the source is PCM then it's ok.
post #6588 of 7215 Old 02-16-2015, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
With the just announced addition of AMC to the Sling TV line up, I'm considering subscribing to this service. Does anyone know yet what the resolution is on the Roku Stick? Hopefully it'll be 1080p @ 60HZ even preferably 24HZ and not the lower 720p as the Amazon prime app.
Anyone using Sling TV yet?
post #6589 of 7215 Old 02-16-2015, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
I'm having this same issue with my new 103D and it's rather frustrating since this unit was purchased to replace my two year old Oppo93 that was having issues with audio dropouts on new Atmos tracks. I'm wanting to use bitstream audio if possible and haven't tried the sync setting yet, but I do hope this won't continue to be an issue considering the cost of these devices.

oz
post #6590 of 7215 Old 02-16-2015, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
my condolences to you for having to sit through that...

I did not mind it. It has been a long time since I watched the movie. Besides it was better watching the Blu ray than watching the 4 and half hour version of it on AMC HD.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #6591 of 7215 Old 02-16-2015, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Only difference i can tell between bitstream and pcm is for some reason my avr plays bitstreamed dolby hd louder, but if I also then increase volume with about 6db between the two then I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Bitstreaming is usually needed for sourround output since most cheaper bd players only has 2 channel DSP decoders and would therefore only output stereo when set to pcm.

The 103d has support for all 8 channels so it can output 7.1 audio when set to PCM as well so no reason not to try the setting when one experiences problems.

For instance Denon dropped the ball and decided updating to the newest DD+ iteration for my avr since "who uses Netflix anyway?" was a good idea .
This results in abhorrent sounds coming out of my left surround speaker when whatching 5.1 content on netflix, having the oppo decode that instead of my avr fixes the problem.

And it is Netflix DD+ only (netflix embraced the new codec since it compresses more), DD+ from vudu still sounds clear and noise free.

This <1 second loss of audio during start is the dac's making sure it can work with the signal its getting. If they didn't do this we would go back to getting loud pops or screetching, hissing noises or worse. I would take half a second silence over that anyday .

Last edited by TorTorden; 02-17-2015 at 07:01 AM.
post #6592 of 7215 Old 02-18-2015, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt View Post
I too plan to upgrade to the BDP-103D; however, rather than wondering if there are any other models, I would like to know if from the list of accessories they offer on their web site, if there are any 'have to have' items?

- HDMI Cable:
6' HDMI Cable (Gold Plated) (Included in Price)
Premium 15' HDMI Cable (28AWG) (Gold Plated) + 6' HDMI Cable (+US$ 39.00)
25' HDMI Cable (24AWG) (Gold Plated) + 6' HDMI Cable (+US$ 36.00)

- Warranty:
2 Year Standard Warranty for BDP103 (Included in Price)
1 Year Extended Warranty + 2 Year Standard Warranty for BDP103 (+US$ 79.00)

- MHL Cable: None
6' MHL Cable for Mobile Device (HDMI type A to Micro USB) (+US$ 6.00)

- Benchmark Calibration Disc: None
Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 3D Blu-ray/DVD 2nd Edition (+US$ 29.97)

- Roku Streaming Stick: None
+ Roku Streaming Stick (OEM Bundle) (+US$ 49.99)

- IR Accessory: None
IR-ES2 External IR Sensor (+US$ 29.00)

I apologize for not reading thru this entire thread to see if this has been asked before, but it is so long with over 1,200 posts.
post #6593 of 7215 Old 02-18-2015, 04:22 AM

Nothing I would count has "must have" unless your setup would need long hdmi cables or have other special needs.

A calibration disc is good to have but I personally just used these patterns AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration
post #6594 of 7215 Old 02-18-2015, 04:34 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Agreed. The Roku Streaming Stick is a very good option if apps, such as Amazon streaming, that aren't built in are desired.
post #6595 of 7215 Old 02-18-2015, 08:14 AM

I just found out that my 103d does not play mkv files with TrueHD audio muxed with them. All I get is silence and when the audio button is pressed, all I see is "MLP 5.1". My setup is bitstream to receiver. I didn't try PCM (maybe later). So, is this a problem? I apologize in advance if this issue has been addressed before and yes I didn't try to check the forums.
post #6596 of 7215 Old 02-18-2015, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Mine plays fine. Did you check the 'pass-through' box when encoding?
post #6597 of 7215 Old 02-18-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I just found out that my 103d does not play mkv files with TrueHD audio muxed with them. All I get is silence and when the audio button is pressed, all I see is "MLP 5.1". My setup is bitstream to receiver. I didn't try PCM (maybe later). So, is this a problem? I apologize in advance if this issue has been addressed before and yes I didn't try to check the forums.
It varies with the content, but mkv's with dolby HD tracks has some issues and mostly getting dropouts and sometimes it doesn't recover, my rip of Dark knight is one of these, setting output to pcm fixes most dropouts etc but wouldn't call it entirely stable then either.

In fact the only dolby true HD tracks that has worked without problem using bitstreaming from a networked mkv source are the new Atmos tracks on both Age of extinction and Turtles.

Using the actual bluerays however and non of these issues rear its ugliness.

I also use SMB shares, no upnp or DLNA servers, whenever I tried those with high bitrate content the, only thing I could count on is the player freezing up and require a powercycle at some point.

I'm really not at all that sure if this is an oppo issue or something gone awry with the ripping, if stability is the goal I recommend using the discs themselves.
raif71 likes this.
post #6598 of 7215 Old 02-18-2015, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Its kind of hit and miss with MKV and DTHD. Sometimes it'll work if you power cycle (energy efficient) the player and don't play anything else first. It'll usually fail if you have been playing something else first.

It DOES work just fine in M2TS files. Go figure.
raif71 likes this.
post #6599 of 7215 Old 02-18-2015, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1709 Post(s)
Liked: 394
i think this has been mentioned before, about the motion being a lil weird when watching blu rays through the oppo, but is there any fix for it or will motion be corrected through a future firmware update? like in a dialogue scene, if someone turns their head kinda quickly their face will have a strange blur to it. i dont usually see this on cable, just on my blu rays.

TV; SAMSUNG 65 HU9000(current) SAMSUNG 65 8550 4k (30 days) SONY XBR65X850B 4k(owned for 2 weeks), previous was SAMSUNG 65 7100
AVR: Sony 7.2 1040
Blu Ray: Oppo 103D
post #6600 of 7215 Old 02-18-2015, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1709 Post(s)
Liked: 394
also, have anyone noticed that netflix through the oppo doesnt look that great? when compared to the netflix on my samsung HU9000, the 9000 blows it away as far as picture quality. is the netflix app on the oppo an older version? is there a way to upgrade to the newest version of netflix? the oppo netflix doesnt look like its streaming 1080p, but rather 720p or lower. again, my tv netflix app looks amazing so if i go back and forth betwee the same movies/shows, its a huge difference.

TV; SAMSUNG 65 HU9000(current) SAMSUNG 65 8550 4k (30 days) SONY XBR65X850B 4k(owned for 2 weeks), previous was SAMSUNG 65 7100
AVR: Sony 7.2 1040
Blu Ray: Oppo 103D
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page