Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 223 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #6661 of 6668 Unread Yesterday, 02:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym2relax View Post
Hello to 103D owners, I have a question for you.

I recently got a 103, and while I love it, I wish I had the Darbee processing. So, my options are, return the 103 and get a 103D, or add the Darbee Darblet.

Say the added cost is the same. Is there any real advantage of the 103D over the 103 with Darblet?
I had the Darbee Darblet before getting the 103D and agree with everything Bill said above. While I did have some handshake problems with the Darblet what was more problematic for me was the remote control, it was very unreliable, often having to be right on top of the unit to get it to respond. The Darbee feature built-in to the Oppo has operated perfectly without issue.

As far as cost, you should be able to get at least $150 for the Darblet and that will more than cover the extra cost of the 103D over the 103.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6662 of 6668 Unread Yesterday, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
That was an EXTRA benefit of using the Redmere cables as well. I used to have a rats nest of big ass firehouse cables coming out the back of my receiver and things have tidied up considerably using Redmere cables, AND IT WORKS BETTER!
A lot of cable boxes will still be problematic (especially at NATIVE) but that is to be expected with HDMI..
Do remember they are TRULY directional (unlike bs Monster cable cables) If you have them hooked up the wrong way they will NOT work..Also, you can not "daisy chain" them...
Hmm, I am using Redmere cables from all of my source devices to my prepro (Yamaha CX-A5000) and then another Redmere cable from the prepro to my projector w/o any handshake issues. So, my question is, what exactly do you mean by "you can not daisy chain them". I suspect the CX-A5000 is re-driving the output HDMI signal to the projector, but don't really know that.
post #6663 of 6668 Unread Today, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Hmm, I am using Redmere cables from all of my source devices to my prepro (Yamaha CX-A5000) and then another Redmere cable from the prepro to my projector w/o any handshake issues. So, my question is, what exactly do you mean by "you can not daisy chain them". I suspect the CX-A5000 is re-driving the output HDMI signal to the projector, but don't really know that.
I meant two redmere cables in a row. Your set up is fine. I have 9 hdmi redmere for my sources to my marantz, one redmere from my marantz to another darblet, then a redmere cable to my Panny 8000. Has been very reliable so far.
post #6664 of 6668 Unread Today, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
I meant two redmere cables in a row. Your set up is fine. I have 9 hdmi redmere for my sources to my marantz, one redmere from my marantz to another darblet, then a redmere cable to my Panny 8000. Has been very reliable so far.
That's what I thought you may have meant. It never even occurred to me that anyone would try that, even with normal HDMI cables. HDMI is flaky enough w/o adding extra risk such as that.
post #6665 of 6668 Unread Today, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone using the Roku stick sold by Oppo? If so, I was wondering if adding a right angle adapter or any other HDML adapter/cable would have an effect on the MHL powering the stick.
post #6666 of 6668 Unread Today, 11:57 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Is anyone using the Roku stick sold by Oppo? If so, I was wondering if adding a right angle adapter or any other HDML adapter/cable would have an effect on the MHL powering the stick.
There's no need to post the same question in multiple threads. At least give people a chance to respond first...

To answer your quest, plenty of us are using right angle adapters from Monoprice without any problems. Just make sure you get the one that points it in the direction you desire as there are several options.
post #6667 of 6668 Unread Today, 11:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
I use this one here and it works fine.
post #6668 of 6668 Unread Today, 04:07 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
The active circuit in the Redmere cables make each cable act like it is a 6 foot cable, regardless of its actual length, as far as signal re-equalization goes. 6 foot length is the design center for "normal" HDMI cables. Either shorter or longer HDMI cables will degrade the signal differently than the transmitter/receiver chips in the devices at either end assume.

If you daisy chain Redmere cables, it is like daisy chaining a set of 6 foot cables. So (1) you lose the advantage the active circuit is trying to provide, and (2) you gain all the problems caused by the EXTRA signal degradation that happens due to the fan out / fan in of wires at each connection point.

As with any case of things that degrade HDMI signals, some folks won't have any problems. But a single, 20 foot, Redmere cable (for example) is likely to work more reliably than two 10 foot Redmere cables daisy chained, or any other such combo.

NOW, each active device in your HDMI path -- your prepro for example -- REGENERATES the HDMI signal at its outputs. So HDMI in and HDMI out are TWO DIFFERENT connections. I.e., the Redmere cables on either side are not "daisy chained". They would only be daisy chained if connected via a PASSIVE connector -- such as a female/female adapter between the two cables, or something a bit more elaborate such as a passive (purely mechanical) HDMI switch box between them.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com