Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 224 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #6691 of 6710 Old 03-01-2015, 01:29 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieuk147 View Post
I have bought a 103D.

Is it possible to play bluray iso files or mkv bluray?

If so! possible for my collection to show movie posters for each file. I do have a Htpc with xbmc so not sure if its possible to link the two

Thanks so much!
ISO: no. MKV: Yes.

The OPPO uses the Gracenote online service for cover art and catalog info, but the results for media files are sometimes not very accurate.

You can connect the HDMI output of the HTPC to the HDMI input of the player. You'll need two remotes to operate everything. I do this with XBMC on a small PC, too.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6692 of 6710 Old 03-01-2015, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Quote:
I have bought a 103D.

If so! possible for my collection to show movie posters for each file. I do have a Htpc with xbmc so not sure if its possible to link the two

Thanks so much!
ISO: no. MKV: Yes.

The OPPO uses the Gracenote online service for cover art and catalog info, but the results for media files are sometimes not very accurate.

You can connect the HDMI output of the HTPC to the HDMI input of the player. You'll need two remotes to operate everything. I do this with XBMC on a small PC, too.

-Bill
Ahh! Thanks for that Bill!

That seems the way to go linking my Htpc to the oppo via Hdmi. Am guessing the Htpc acts as the actual main player and the oppo is just passing the signal through with a bit of darbee in the mix?
post #6693 of 6710 Old 03-01-2015, 01:39 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

That seems the way to go linking my Htpc to the oppo via Hdmi. Am guessing the Htpc acts as the actual main player and the oppo is just passing the signal through with a bit of darbee in the mix?
Correct.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #6694 of 6710 Old 03-01-2015, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Just wanna confirm one thing. If we do it like that, picture wise this can be achieved (ie darbee can be used and PQ would be similar to playing it on player disc or usb) but audio wise if one were to bitstream using the hdmi in of the 103d, it won't handle the DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD, right? Only DTS and DD 5.1 can be heard respectively.
post #6695 of 6710 Old 03-01-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I have bought a 103D.

Well, officially yes but technically speaking the hardware is able to read in iso among others. I'll say no more.
post #6696 of 6710 Old 03-01-2015, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega509 View Post
I believe it does, I have at times set the oppo to output 4k with the Darbee settings on, but never checked to see if the Darbee is still active in the 4k mode. I'll check next time I change the output to 4k.

on a side note, my Samsung 8550 does a better job upscaling to 4k than the Oppo.
the Darby does remain functional when outputting 4k set to auto, forced, auto (50/60p) and forced (50/60p).
post #6697 of 6710 Old 03-01-2015, 07:21 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by raif71 View Post
Just wanna confirm one thing. If we do it like that, picture wise this can be achieved (ie darbee can be used and PQ would be similar to playing it on player disc or usb) but audio wise if one were to bitstream using the hdmi in of the 103d, it won't handle the DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD, right? Only DTS and DD 5.1 can be heard respectively.
The inputs support:

• stereo and 5.1 LPCM up to 192KHz, 7.1 LPCM up to 96KHz.
  • Lossy Dolby Digital and DTS up to 7.1.
  • Dolby Digital Plus up to 7.1.

-Bill

post #6698 of 6710 Old 03-01-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
The inputs support:

• stereo and 5.1 LPCM up to 192KHz, 7.1 LPCM up to 96KHz.
  • Lossy Dolby Digital and DTS up to 7.1.
  • Dolby Digital Plus up to 7.1.

-Bill
S
Meaning if one were to accidentally bitstream DTS-HD and TrueHD, no sound can be heard, right? One has to make sure the inputs to the hdmi-in are like you stated?
post #6699 of 6710 Old 03-01-2015, 08:16 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
S
Meaning if one were to accidentally bitstream DTS-HD and TrueHD, no sound can be heard, right? One has to make sure the inputs to the hdmi-in are like you stated?
I believe that's correct. I haven't tried it myself, but people have reported "no audio" when trying the HD audio formats.

-Bill

post #6700 of 6710 Old Yesterday, 01:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
I believe that's correct. I haven't tried it myself, but people have reported "no audio" when trying the HD audio formats.

-Bill
I tried connecting a WD-TV Live streamer through one of the HDMI-IN ports and that's exactly what happens, it will play the base DD 5.1 and DTS tracks but not the DTS-HD MA and DolbyTrueHD tracks.
post #6701 of 6710 Old Yesterday, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I tried connecting a WD-TV Live streamer through one of the HDMI-IN ports and that's exactly what happens, it will play the base DD 5.1 and DTS tracks but not the DTS-HD MA and DolbyTrueHD tracks.
Yes, I get that but what is the logic in OPPO restricting the HD audios? I mean, surely the hardware and cable can accommodate HD audios at hdmi-in.
post #6702 of 6710 Old Yesterday, 04:58 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
^ Nope. The hardware works like hardware in TVs that also don't accept TrueHD or DTS-HD MA Bitstreams. The HDMI handshake should result in the Source device sending compatible audio that works to the OPPO -- either LPCM or a lossy Bitstream.
--Bob
post #6703 of 6710 Old Yesterday, 06:50 AM

Thanks Bob but I was thinking that the HD audios could be passed to the AVR for decoding but I guess I must be missing something.
post #6704 of 6710 Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Thanks Bob but I was thinking that the HD audios could be passed to the AVR for decoding but I guess I must be missing something.
HD audio can be passed to a downstream source (i.e. AVR/pre-pro) from the Oppo player.....just not when you're trying to input HD audio from the Oppo's hdmi inputs.

Last edited by DanF8500; Yesterday at 08:26 AM.
post #6705 of 6710 Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 214
^ FWIW, even though the HDMI inputs of the 10x player won't decode the higher lossless audio codecs from Dolby and DTS,
it will actually process higher resolution audio as PCM.
So if the device you are using to feed the player has an option for PCM output, as opposed to bitstream output,
then switching to PCM output might get you the sound you are looking for.
It's just a matter of the original source device being able to decode the audio, which should sound the same as bitstream,
as long as the source device is doing it's job properly.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #6706 of 6710 Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I purchased an Anthem MRX510 early last year because I wanted to evaluate ARC room correction, having been a long-time Audyssey user on Denon equipment. After hooking the 510 up, I started having HDMI issues with my Oppo BDP-93 and my AppleTV. I tried everything conceivable to resolve the issues, with plenty of help from others here on AVS, but was never successful. I ended up returning the 510, going back to a Denon 4520, and I have never had a similar issue since.

Personally, I think there is a bug in the Anthem AVR's when they are connected to Oppo equipment. Just my opinion, of course, and I am sure many people will chime in that they have Oppo and Anthem working peacefully together, but I am extremely intolerant of HDMI issues.

The thread where I discussed these issues is here:
Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide
I'm sure there would have been a way to solve this issue but I'm not very tech savvy. I decided to return the Athem 710 although it did sound fantastic. I ended up purchasing the Marantz SR 7009 and Wow such and easy hook up as the OPPO 103 D plays as it's supposed to. Sounds wonderful as I'm upgrading from another Marantz SR 8002. Thanks to everyone's help on here as it all turned out to be a blessing in disguise.
post #6707 of 6710 Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ FWIW, even though the HDMI inputs of the 10x player won't decode the higher lossless audio codecs from Dolby and DTS,
it will actually process higher resolution audio as PCM.
So if the device you are using to feed the player has an option for PCM output, as opposed to bitstream output,
then switching to PCM output might get you the sound you are looking for.
It's just a matter of the original source device being able to decode the audio, which should sound the same as bitstream,
as long as the source device is doing it's job properly.
My spare media player can do the job of converting the HD audios to PCM but then the AVR will not show DTS-HD MA or TrueHD . Anyway thanks to all for answering my gripes
post #6708 of 6710 Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 78
My 103D is on the way now. Just to be sure, MKV streaming over the gig network using a Synology backend NAS works just fine, right? Using NFS? I assume the only downside is Cinavia on some discs will still rear its ugly head. Is that all correct?
post #6709 of 6710 Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
My 103D is on the way now. Just to be sure, MKV streaming over the gig network using a Synology backend NAS works just fine, right? Using NFS? I assume the only downside is Cinavia on some discs will still rear its ugly head. Is that all correct?
OPPO has never announced NFS support in the release notes, but servers do appear on my player, although I'm not sure they appear consistently. SMB seems more reliable.

Cinavia is supposed to be detected only on files on optical media (including MKV backups). I recall a report of it being detected on a HD copy long ago, but I don't know if we ever confirmed that, and there have been no recent reports.

The Cinavia rules may change at any time, or course.

-Bill

post #6710 of 6710 Old Today, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just a couple simple questions

Couple quick questions that may have already been addressed in this thread. Setting up new AV equipment in family room which will include Direct TV genie, Oppo 103D running to a LG 55EC9300. I have a Denon 2100 for AVR.

1) Can I run the HDMI out from the genie thru the Oppo and get the Darbee processing on my direct TV viewing?

2) If so, should i just use the AVR for audio and send the HDMI 1 output from the 103D directly to my TV? I could send the HDMI 2 output to my AVR for audio right?

3) I assume when setting up my universal remote the 103D would have to come on when viewing direct TV or BluRay/DVD correct? what would happen if both direct TV were on and a Blu Ray was inserted?

Thanks
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page