Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 225 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #6721 of 6741 Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronin View Post
Tested the coax output last night. Same result, intermittent audio cutouts. Multichannel works perfectly. I have a new receiver on the way, so I guess I'll find out then whether its a problem with my oppo or my receiver. Thanks
You might want to talk it over with Oppo support to see if they have any insight. Without further information I wouldn't rule out HDMI handshakes being the cause. Assuming you have HDMI connected only to the TV, and are using HDMI-1, try turning off HDMI audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6722 of 6741 Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Has anyone's optical audio out on their Oppo 103D started intermittently cutting out? Multichannel connection works fine. I've tried different optical cords and different inputs on my receiver, all with the same result. It doesn't appear to be dependent on output volume either.
Is the behavior the same for all sources, or are you only playing Blu-rays on your Oppo?

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #6723 of 6741 Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
You might want to talk it over with Oppo support to see if they have any insight. Without further information I wouldn't rule out HDMI handshakes being the cause. Assuming you have HDMI connected only to the TV, and are using HDMI-1, try turning off HDMI audio.
Or disconnect any HDMI cables temporarily which should completely eliminate any HDMI handshakes. That would make navigation to get something playing a bit of an adventure unless you (@kronin) use Oppo's media control app or something like JRiver Media Center to use the Oppo as a DLNA renderer.
post #6724 of 6741 Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
How can the multi-ch outputs (OP says no problems on those outputs) be immune to hdmi handshake dropouts, while the digital audio outputs aren't? Usually, those handshake issues affect all the audio outs with intermittent audio. I've heard the hdmi handshake audio dropout from my Oppo's analog outputs before.

Last edited by DanF8500; Yesterday at 09:15 AM.
post #6725 of 6741 Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Question HDMI Splitter with 103D

My 103D is currently connected to my TV and Anthem MRX 300 receiver using Split A/V mode. I am planning to add a front projector in the same room. Since MRX 300 has only 1 HDMI output, I am planning to use a HDMI splitter on HDMI 1 output of 103D to connect to the TV and the projector.

My question is: will a splitter work? Has anybody else tried this? Can someone point me to a suitable 1.4a splitter?

Thanks.
post #6726 of 6741 Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Tested the coax output last night. Same result, intermittent audio cutouts. Multichannel works perfectly. I have a new receiver on the way, so I guess I'll find out then whether its a problem with my oppo or my receiver. Thanks
Could try Oppo optical directly to the TV as a test.
post #6727 of 6741 Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Has anyone tried to play the Reelwood 3D demo disc found on this forum here 3D Demo Disc Reelwood 3D

It is a BDMV and I read about the firmware changes regarding that format. I have tried it on an external US drive and it just says loading. Do I need to convert it?
post #6728 of 6741 Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Just as an info for those, who might have problems with Samba shares with their Oppo's...

I got problems with SMB last week and initially, I thought the Oppo is broken, because he behaves very strange and at last he didn't want to play files even from USB.
So I sent him to service, but they didn't found anything strange. I got him back today and unfortunatley the same thing... no SMB shares to view or to browse.
After some checking the network protocols, I was curious, that he didn't even looked at the SMB shares provided by my NAS.
The crucial hint was then to isolate both in an extra VLAN ... and guess what happens... everything was ok again.

Finally I found out, that a printer, which I installed last week in our network was providing his own Samba server and somehow disturbing others. At least the Oppo has been knocked out by him... ah, yes, it was a Canon MP640 (universal printer, copy, fax)

Home theater room with a mixed 7.2.4 Atmos / Auro-3D setup,
Denon X5200W, Epson TW4400, Oppo 103D,
nubert nuVero speakers
post #6729 of 6741 Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by multit View Post
Just as an info for those, who might have problems with Samba shares with their Oppo's...

I got problems with SMB last week and initially, I thought the Oppo is broken, because he behaves very strange and at last he didn't want to play files even from USB.
So I sent him to service, but they didn't found anything strange. I got him back today and unfortunatley the same thing... no SMB shares to view or to browse.
After some checking the network protocols, I was curious, that he didn't even looked at the SMB shares provided by my NAS.
The crucial hint was then to isolate both in an extra VLAN ... and guess what happens... everything was ok again.

Finally I found out, that a printer, which I installed last week in our network was providing his own Samba server and somehow disturbing others. At least the Oppo has been knocked out by him... ah, yes, it was a Canon MP640 (universal printer, copy, fax)
Very good to know, thanks.
post #6730 of 6741 Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by multit View Post

I'm very glad for you that he is well and okay now!
post #6731 of 6741 Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hi guys, I posted this issue before I got new hdmi cables, but has anyone else experienced a drop out in audio and then an extremely loud audio hiss or static noise after connecting their direct tv genie box to the OPPO 103D? I never heard this until I started running my genie box through the OPPO. I thought it was the hdmi cable, so I recently purchased two new monoprice redmere cables and hooked them up. I watched the news for about a half hour and sure enough, the audio dropped out and the loud hiss/static noise returned. The only way for it to go away is to change to a different resolution channel on the direct tv genie box. There is no ryme or reason to the hiss. It can happen within one minute of watching tv or not until after three hours of the tv being on. Has anyone else experienced this? Do you guys think it's the OPPO or the genie causing the issue? I assumed the OPPO because I never experienced it before I ran the genie through the OPPO. On another note, now that I hooked up the monoprice redmere hdmi cables, I get an occasional hickup with video and audio. Any thoughts on the audio drop out hiss would be very much appreciated. Thanks so much guys.

Last edited by AVKIK; Today at 05:35 AM.
post #6732 of 6741 Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
One more question, I'm pretty sure there is no right or wrong answer, but I would really like to hear some opinions on what connection to go with (either digital coax or optical) from the OPPO 103D to a non hdmi receiver. Do you prefer one over the other and why? Also, would there be any difference in sound quality between the two?? I am going to use one of the two for my CDs and other music. I am currently using analog strictly for my blu ray movies to take advantage of the DTS HD and Dolby true HD. Just trying to have the best sound possible come out of my paradigm studio v5's. Thanks again.
post #6733 of 6741 Old Today, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKIK View Post
One more question, I'm pretty sure there is no right or wrong answer, but I would really like to hear some opinions on what connection to go with (either digital coax or optical) from the OPPO 103D to a non hdmi receiver. Do you prefer one over the other and why? Also, would there be any difference in sound quality between the two?? I am going to use one of the two for my CDs and other music. I am currently using analog strictly for my blu ray movies to take advantage of the DTS HD and Dolby true HD. Just trying to have the best sound possible come out of my paradigm studio v5's. Thanks again.
Does not matter, pick one.
post #6734 of 6741 Old Today, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Hi guys, I posted this issue before I got new hdmi cables, but has anyone else experienced a drop out in audio and then an extremely loud audio hiss or static noise after connecting their direct tv genie box to the OPPO 103D? I never heard this until I started running my genie box through the OPPO. I thought it was the hdmi cable, so I recently purchased two new monoprice redmere cables and hooked them up. I watched the news for about a half hour and sure enough, the audio dropped out and the loud hiss/static noise returned. The only way for it to go away is to change to a different resolution channel on the direct tv genie box. There is no ryme or reason to the hiss. It can happen within one minute of watching tv or not until after three hours of the tv being on. Has anyone else experienced this? Do you guys think it's the OPPO or the genie causing the issue? I assumed the OPPO because I never experienced it before I ran the genie through the OPPO. On another note, now that I hooked up the monoprice redmere hdmi cables, I get an occasional hickup with video and audio. Any thoughts on the audio drop out hiss would be very much appreciated. Thanks so much guys.

Your issue sounds very similar to mine. I have a Roku 3 connected up to the Oppo's front HDMI connection and have seen this , but only when the Roku is outputting audio in stereo. Most of the shows we watch are on Amazon Prime and the audio is 5.1, but there are one or two that are in stereo. In my case the hissing can start anywhere from 20 minutes to hours later. It is loud enough to be startling and the WAF is very low. Unfortunately I don't have a solution for you.
post #6735 of 6741 Old Today, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
I have the exact same issue with my DirecTV box (not a genie) connected to my OPPO. The audio will drop and loud static/hiss will occur. The way I solved my issue was to connect DirecTV box to Oppo, and then run digital audio cable from my DirecTV box to my AVR. No more audio drops with loud static hiss, and still keep 5.1 audio from DirecTV box.

Last edited by wxman; Today at 01:51 PM.
post #6736 of 6741 Old Today, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
^^
Hmmm, that got me thinking. I just upgraded to the 103D from the 103 and in both units there is the same issue with audio and video not starting at the same time when I pause/play Directv. I have the DTV going through the Oppo and HDMI 1 to panel and HDMI 2 to AVR. If I ff through commercials, then play, the video starts immediately and the audio is a few seconds behind.

I wonder if this would be solved by running optical from the Directv directly to the AVR.
post #6737 of 6741 Old Today, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym2relax View Post
^^
Hmmm, that got me thinking. I just upgraded to the 103D from the 103 and in both units there is the same issue with audio and video not starting at the same time when I pause/play Directv. I have the DTV going through the Oppo and HDMI 1 to panel and HDMI 2 to AVR. If I ff through commercials, then play, the video starts immediately and the audio is a few seconds behind.

I wonder if this would be solved by running optical from the Directv directly to the AVR.
I would think that would solve the issue. Running audio out from DirecTV box to AVR seems to be the most stable way to handle audio issues.
post #6738 of 6741 Old Today, 05:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
^^

When you say "behind" do you mean out of sync with the video or that it takes a second or two after you see video playing before the audio becomes audible, but it's still in-sync? I have the latter condition with a DirecTV Genie(HR44) and a TiVo Roamio DVR, they both exhibit that behavior, though my setup is connected from Oppo HDMI 1 to the AVR then on to the display, no HDMI 2 used.
post #6739 of 6741 Old Today, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
When you say "behind" do you mean out of sync with the video or that it takes a second or two after you see video playing before the audio becomes audible, but it's still in-sync? I have the latter condition with a DirecTV Genie(HR44) and a TiVo Roamio DVR, they both exhibit that behavior, though my setup is connected from Oppo HDMI 1 to the AVR then on to the display, no HDMI 2 used.
Not out of sync, thankfully. A few seconds after the video begins the audio starts and everything is synced up properly. BTW, I have the HR22.
post #6740 of 6741 Old Today, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I would think that would solve the issue. Running audio out from DirecTV box to AVR seems to be the most stable way to handle audio issues.
Thanks, will give it a go tonight.
post #6741 of 6741 Old Today, 06:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Not out of sync, thankfully. A few seconds after the video begins the audio starts and everything is synced up properly. BTW, I have the HR22.
Yes, the lag can be somewhat annoying but you learn how to deal with it, if it's something I want to hear - a piece of dialog that's important for example - then I just rewind back a little further. It's a very minor inconvenience and is more than offset by the positive attributes of the setup incorporating the Oppo as opposed to not.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page