Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 226 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #6751 of 7229 Old 03-08-2015, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
H'okay, first post here go easy guys. Proud new owner of a 103D couldn't be happier with the picture quality playing back bluray discs. Sound quality is great. Not so impressed with analogue outs have to say, but no matter as I use an external Dac. Anyway... Spending a bit of time looking into the Network connectivity and performance and have no problems streaming 1080P and 720P bluray rips (usually MKV) from my Network. On some movies though, the picture is stretched vertically, no black bars top and bottom but taking up the full 1080P screen? Why is this and why does it only happen with cartain rips? I cant find any commonality with the files that do this, different bitrates, different formats even. None of the zoom modes on teh 103 fix this, in fact even when I zoom out and select USCAN (where I can see the edge of the picture) the image is still stretched vertically. Any idea what this is and if it can be fixed? Maybe theres a setting Im missing, dunno. I've tried zoom modes on my TV and its not that. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6752 of 7229 Old 03-08-2015, 10:44 AM

ps What happened to my paragraphs?
post #6753 of 7229 Old 03-08-2015, 11:05 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 1121
The wondrous new forum software here at AVS is sometimes formatting challenged....

As for your media files question, first check that you have "16:9 Wide/Auto" set. Not just "16:9 Wide". The Auto choice adds the black bars.

If that doesn't do it, nab a copy of the MediaInfo utility and use it to find the details of files that work and files that don't work. If you don't see an obvious explanation from that yourself, post the info here or email to OPPO Tech Support for suggestions.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 03-08-2015 at 11:06 AM.
post #6754 of 7229 Old 03-08-2015, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
Yep, no rumor there! If you try to play a movie over 3 hours long without pausing at least once the audio will sometimes mute itself a little over the three hour mark. Apparently it has had this horrific problem for YEARS but has just been recently uncovered! I would run, not walk from buying an Oppo until this egregious problem has been cured. Clearly the build quality, quick start, darbee enhancement, newer netflix app, outstanding customer support, and other features of the 103D could in no way make up for this "issue"....

Now back on topic. I loved how the darbee in my 103D gave that little extra "pop" when I watched the latest Transformers movie, and the Atmos soundtrack was awesome as well!

Does this only affect bitstreaming?

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #6755 of 7229 Old 03-08-2015, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bull View Post
I'm trying to decide between the 103D and the stand-alone darblet.

From this forum, I think I know most of the advantages of the 103D:
no handshake issue (may or may not affect me)
SACD (i only have 1 so no real effect)
3D (my current BD player is not - projector (Panny AE8000u) is - but content is not really that interesting to me)

My understanding is that given 1080P content, the darblet and 103D will perform the same.

What I'm looking for help/knowledge/experience in, and what could sway me to spend the extra $$ for the 103D, is the difference between the two as far as 720P, 1080i, 420P (not that I really watch any) cable content.

Currently, I run my cable source thru my receiver untouched, so no scaling is performed (or i suppose the projector is doing it). Screen is 138in. 2.35:1 (or approx 110in. 16:9) at 15-16 feet.

Would there be a great benefit in sending a non-1080P cable signal thru the 103D and letting it process/upscale the signal to 1080P (not 4K) and then having the darbee portion do it's thing as opposed to sending the cable signal thru the stand-alone darblet?
Yes. The 103D will definitely produce a better picture.
No. It would be the same.
Depends on other factors and I would need to do my own comparison.

Thanks.
For the criteria you are listing, there should be no real difference between the 103 and 103D aside from the Darbee processing.
There are some other small differences, but none that contribute to 1080p scaling or 3D or Darbee or SACD.

A lot of people do send the cable/sat feed through the player for the advantage of scaling and applying Darbee processing.
It can make a difference on some material, but then sometimes not.
As far as doing that with the player as opposed to doing it with a stand alone Darblet,
you may or may not see a difference between the two, it just depends.
The factor would be the difference between the scaling to 1080p in the player vs in the display.
In the player would be BEFORE Darbee, in the display it would be AFTER Darbee,
and of course the scaling/processing of display vs player is also probably different.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #6756 of 7229 Old 03-08-2015, 01:42 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
If that doesn't do it, nab a copy of the MediaInfo utility and use it to find the details of files that work and files that don't work.
Note that when investigating aspect ratio issues in MKV, the container has two dimension parameters: one pair for physical storage dimensions and one pair for display dimensions. MKV allows all sorts of anamorphic combinations.

The utility "mediainfo" shows only one pair, which is not so helpful. The utility "mkvinfo" shows both.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #6757 of 7229 Old 03-08-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
The wondrous new forum software here at AVS is sometimes formatting challenged....

As for your media files question, first check that you have "16:9 Wide/Auto" set. Not just "16:9 Wide". The Auto choice adds the black bars.

If that doesn't do it, nab a copy of the MediaInfo utility and use it to find the details of files that work and files that don't work. If you don't see an obvious explanation from that yourself, post the info here or email to OPPO Tech Support for suggestions.
--Bob
Boom!
That fixed it.
Superb, many thanks for that...making my way throught the Oppo menus slowly but surely.
post #6758 of 7229 Old 03-08-2015, 02:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
Boom!
That fixed it.
Superb, many thanks for that...making my way throught the Oppo menus slowly but surely.
Cool! Lots of fun settings in there. Collect them all!
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6759 of 7229 Old 03-08-2015, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 231
I just had my first ever case of audio dropouts on the 103D watching The Hunger Games: Mocking Jay part 1. Playing the TrueHD Atmos bitstream, there were roughly 6 brief dropouts on scene changes, which is the classic problem with seamless branching. Never had a problem before with TrueHD bitstreams.

I have to admit I'm still running the 75-0430B beta firmware from last year, but it would still be interesting to know if anyone else has had a problem with this disc.
post #6760 of 7229 Old 03-08-2015, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by planecrazyf16 View Post
My 103D is currently connected to my TV and Anthem MRX 300 receiver using Split A/V mode. I am planning to add a front projector in the same room. Since MRX 300 has only 1 HDMI output, I am planning to use a HDMI splitter on HDMI 1 output of 103D to connect to the TV and the projector.

My question is: will a splitter work? Has anybody else tried this? Can someone point me to a suitable 1.4a splitter?

Thanks.
Anybody?
post #6761 of 7229 Old 03-08-2015, 07:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planecrazyf16 View Post
Anybody?
Splitter should work just fine. Monoprice has a pretty good selection of splitters available.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #6762 of 7229 Old 03-08-2015, 07:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
I just had my first ever case of audio dropouts on the 103D watching The Hunger Games: Mocking Jay part 1. Playing the TrueHD Atmos bitstream, there were roughly 6 brief dropouts on scene changes, which is the classic problem with seamless branching. Never had a problem before with TrueHD bitstreams.

I have to admit I'm still running the 75-0430B beta firmware from last year, but it would still be interesting to know if anyone else has had a problem with this disc.
Update your firmware and then let us know if the issue is still there.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #6763 of 7229 Old 03-08-2015, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 231
^ Yes, I'm updating now. But watching the entire movie again listening for dropouts will be a pain (not that it was a bad movie). And since it only came out 2 days ago, I'm sure it was never tested with the latest official firmware.
post #6764 of 7229 Old 03-08-2015, 08:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
^ Yes, I'm updating now. But watching the entire movie again listening for dropouts will be a pain (not that it was a bad movie). And since it only came out 2 days ago, I'm sure it was never tested with the latest official firmware.
Complex seamless branching is a fairly new copy protection, but not brand new. It does require an up to date firmware to handle it. This is not the first title to use it, in fact its been around for a couple years. Its just that recent releases are using an insane amount of seamless branching, sometimes dozens of breaks in a movie.
post #6765 of 7229 Old 03-08-2015, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Just finished it in TrueHD and never had any problems.
post #6766 of 7229 Old 03-09-2015, 06:05 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
For the criteria you are listing, there should be no real difference between the 103 and 103D aside from the Darbee processing.
There are some other small differences, but none that contribute to 1080p scaling or 3D or Darbee or SACD.

A lot of people do send the cable/sat feed through the player for the advantage of scaling and applying Darbee processing.
It can make a difference on some material, but then sometimes not.
As far as doing that with the player as opposed to doing it with a stand alone Darblet,
you may or may not see a difference between the two, it just depends.
The factor would be the difference between the scaling to 1080p in the player vs in the display.
In the player would be BEFORE Darbee, in the display it would be AFTER Darbee,
and of course the scaling/processing of display vs player is also probably different.
Thanks for reply.

I guess I hadn't really thought about it that way, but it brings up a related question. Does having the scaling performed AFTER the darblet processing have any negative affect to what was done by the darblet processing? Or put another way, is it inherently better to have the source scaled to 1080P prior to darbee processing (as would occur with the 103D)?
post #6767 of 7229 Old 03-09-2015, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I believe Darbee first, then scaling is the preferred method. Go check over in the Lumagen Radiance processor threads. They are the scaling experts and I believe that is how they implement it in their video processors. Or I could have it reversed . In any case, I know somewhere in there threads it was discussed at length.
post #6768 of 7229 Old 03-09-2015, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
^ Yes, thats a difference between the Analog output of 103/103D and the 105/105D. The DACs in the 103/103D can not control Volume when DSD-Direct-to-Analog conversion is in use. The DACs in the 105/105D can.

For the 103/103D set SACD Output PCM and you will have Volume control on the Analog outputs for SACD playback.

If you want to use SACD Output DSD for Analog output on the 103/103D, you will need to provide Volume control external to the player.
--Bob
Bob,

Just a clarification if you would please. When you say "...For the 103/103D set SACD Output PCM and you will have Volume control on the Analog outputs for SACD playback....", I assume you mean the downstream receiver/pre/pro that takes the PCM signal and converts to analogue that has the volume control via the its own DAC?

The PCM output of the 103/103D is in the digital domain and generally at unit gain.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8 (on order)
post #6769 of 7229 Old 03-09-2015, 06:42 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Bob,

Just a clarification if you would please. When you say "...For the 103/103D set SACD Output PCM and you will have Volume control on the Analog outputs for SACD playback....", I assume you mean the downstream receiver/pre/pro that takes the PCM signal and converts to analogue that has the volume control via the its own DAC?

The PCM output of the 103/103D is in the digital domain and generally at unit gain.
No. In order to use the Oppo's volume control on the Oppo's analog outputs, DSD has to be converted to PCM as volume control for the analog outputs is handled digitally in the DAC's. The 103/103D DAC's can't perform volume control on a DSD signal, but can on a PCM signal. The DAC's in the 105/105D don't have this limitation and can control the volume of DSD content.

If sending a digital signal to the downstream receiver/pre-pro, all that matters from the Oppo's perspective is whether that device can accept DSD or not. I'm not aware of any receiver or pre-pro that can accept DSD but not apply its volume control to it as that would be a pretty fatal flaw. Volume control in receivers and pre-pros is (almost?) always applied after the DAC. The limitation that many receivers and pre-pros that can accept DSD have is that no speaker distance, bass management or room correction can be applied to a DSD signal.
post #6770 of 7229 Old 03-09-2015, 07:21 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ What he said. Volume control in the OPPO players only applies to the Analog audio outputs, except for Mute (same as Volume 0) which also Mutes the Digital audio outputs.

In the case of the Analog audio outputs, the SACD Output setting determines what form of Digital audio signal is sent to the DACs for conversion to Analog when playing SACD discs or DSD formatted media files.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6771 of 7229 Old 03-09-2015, 09:10 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
I believe Darbee first, then scaling is the preferred method. Go check over in the Lumagen Radiance processor threads. They are the scaling experts and I believe that is how they implement it in their video processors. Or I could have it reversed . In any case, I know somewhere in there threads it was discussed at length.
Thanks for the tip.

In the Radiance thread I found:

Quote:
Deinterlacer->noise reduction->edge enhancement->darbee->aspect ratio control & scaling (as one operation)->color correction is the order in the Radiance and we think the prefered order.
Anyone know if this is how the 103D would handle deinerlacing (i.e. BEFORE darbification) but scaling (i.e. AFTER darbification)? Just curiuous, as I know I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I guess ultimately, in order to determine which provides a better experience and if it's worth the extra $$, I would have to do my own comparison of the 103D and its scaler vs. darblet and my displays scaler to see.

Just wondering if anyone else has ever tried this and what they have found.
post #6772 of 7229 Old 03-09-2015, 09:31 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Darbee is applied at 1080p. If you are watching a Blu-ray movie there is no de-interlacing or scaling for 1080p output since the content on disc is already 1080p.

If you are watching an SD-DVD, it is de-interlaced from 480i to 480p, scaled to 1080p, and then Darbee is applied.

If you are using 4K output, Darbee is applied at 1080p and the result is scaled to 4K.
--Bob

post #6773 of 7229 Old 03-09-2015, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
Boom!
That fixed it.
I have found this feature to work with Netflix content.
I sometimes use it so I can use my plasma TV's aspect setting wich I sometimes prefer since it can do grey bars instead of black, cause showing black bar content leave a temporary imprint in the panel.

Good for those Magnum, Buffy, or Knight rider maratons

And using the oppo smart phone app it can be changed on the fly.
post #6774 of 7229 Old 03-09-2015, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

So I have found that my Oppo 103D can see my NFS shares, but neither they nor the SMB shares show up under "movies". I thought they should?

So far I have to go into "network" and can see multiple items there. My NFS share simply shows up as the IP address of my Synology NAS, while there is a separate Synology icon on that screen (I assume that is the DLNA server?) as well as other shares that I assume are SMB shares since they want a username and PW if they are clicked on. Those icons look like "II" and a name.

So should my shares show up under movies as well? Or does it not think they are movies since they are all MKV files? The only thing that shows up in the movies folder is a "no disc" selection.

On the plus side, I do like being able to fire up the Oppo iPad app and just select the movie from there and it starts playing.
post #6775 of 7229 Old 03-09-2015, 03:10 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
So I have found that my Oppo 103D can see my NFS shares, but neither they nor the SMB shares show up under "movies". I thought they should?
No, all network servers are under "Network". Movies, Music, Photos are for local USB or optical data disc.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #6776 of 7229 Old 03-09-2015, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok cool, thanks. My initial tests of MKV streaming over the network were a little spotty with periodic audio dropouts, but I was hitting the display button and doing random things instead of just starting a movie to play from start to finish. I did successfully watch an NFS streamed MKV from start to finish, but that was a Blu Ray with Dolby Digital audio only, so I have not confirmed that I have zero issues with lossless audio dropouts yet. Hopefully I dont.
post #6777 of 7229 Old 03-09-2015, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 20
So does the 3hr audio bug only affect bitstreaming?

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #6778 of 7229 Old 03-09-2015, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
No. In order to use the Oppo's volume control on the Oppo's analog outputs, DSD has to be converted to PCM as volume control for the analog outputs is handled digitally in the DAC's. The 103/103D DAC's can't perform volume control on a DSD signal, but can on a PCM signal. The DAC's in the 105/105D don't have this limitation and can control the volume of DSD content.

If sending a digital signal to the downstream receiver/pre-pro, all that matters from the Oppo's perspective is whether that device can accept DSD or not. I'm not aware of any receiver or pre-pro that can accept DSD but not apply its volume control to it as that would be a pretty fatal flaw. Volume control in receivers and pre-pros is (almost?) always applied after the DAC. The limitation that many receivers and pre-pros that can accept DSD have is that no speaker distance, bass management or room correction can be applied to a DSD signal.
gsr,

Thanks for the clarification regarding DSD signals. Would the same logic be applicable for DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD as well? I.e. to get volume control out of the 103/103D using its analogue outputs if the soundtrack is DTS-MA/TrueHD, it needs to be first converted to PCM?

In the event that PCM conversion is not set on the 103/103D, would the on board DAC still decode the sound tack (DSD/DTS-MA/TrueHD) and output to analogue?

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8 (on order)
post #6779 of 7229 Old 03-10-2015, 01:40 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Bitstream tracks are ALWAYS decoded to LPCM before being passed to the DACs for conversion to Analog audio output. Even if the HDMI Audio output is set to Bitstream.

So Volume control for Analog audio output is always available for Bitstream tracks.
--Bob
post #6780 of 7229 Old 03-10-2015, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am planning to buy the Oppo 103 Player but haven't decided whether to go with 103 OR 103D. Currently I am using Sony PS3 slim as Bluray player. I also have lot of old movie collections on a hard disk and I hook the hard disk to the WD Live TV HD media player to play my old movie collection.
Can the Oppo-103/103D replace both PS3 and WD Media player. If Oppo - 103/103D can play files from the hard disk, can it support wide range of File formats(.mkv, .avi, .m2ts,...)
Does the Darbee edition improve the picture quality for the old movies? If I keep the Darbee ON all the time, does it have any impact on the performance(and/or the lifetime) of the player?
Somebody can suggest the best way to connect the Oppo - 103/103D with my equipment.

Current connections are as follows

WD Media Player, Sony PS3 are directly connected to Onkyo receiver. Receiver's Video out is connected to the Panasonic Projector.
For sound..
Receivers Audio Out ----> Subwoofer, Rear and Side surrounds
Receivers Audio Out ----> Emotiva Amplifier ----> Front and Central Speakers

I am using HDMI for both Video and Audio from WD Media PLayer and PS3 to the Onkyo Receiver and using RCA cables for Speakers(from onkyo receiver)

My equipment is
Onkyo NR818 - Receiver
Emotiva XPA - 5 Amplifier
Sony PS3 Slim - Bluray player
WD TV Live HD- Media Player
Panasonic PT-AE8000 - Projector
Speakers
Polk F/XiA6 - Rear Surrounds
Polk RTiA9 Front
Polk CsiA6 Center Channel
Side Surrounds - Axiom QS8 V4
Subwoofer: Rythmik LV12R
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com