Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 229 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 527Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6841 of 8721 Old 03-19-2015, 07:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Blacksburg, VA, USA
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
The Darbee is in the Oppo, so if you want to apply Darbee to a video source, that video source must go through the 103D. So connect the HDMI of the DirecTV box to the HDMI IN on the 103D and you should be good to go. So running HDMI from DirecTV > Oppo > Receiver > Projector will get what you are asking for.
EXT64 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6842 of 8721 Old 03-19-2015, 07:57 PM
Member
 
bmock17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXT64 View Post
The Darbee is in the Oppo, so if you want to apply Darbee to a video source, that video source must go through the 103D. So connect the HDMI of the DirecTV box to the HDMI IN on the 103D and you should be good to go. So running HDMI from DirecTV > Oppo > Receiver > Projector will get what you are asking for.
I understand the darbee is in the oppo, and the source must go through the oppo; I am trying to figure out how to make that happen. So you are saying remove the Hdmi cable that is running from my cable box to the receiver from the back of the receiver and plug it into the Hdmi in on the oppo? What input would I set the receiver to when I want to watch tv? I guess I am not understanding how exactly this would work.
bmock17 is offline  
post #6843 of 8721 Old 03-19-2015, 08:02 PM
Member
 
sunlinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmock17 View Post
I am hoping you guys can help. I have read through the posts and I still cannot figure out how to set up the oppo so I can use the darbee feature while watching tv. My current setup; Epson projector into Hdmi out on receiver. Directv box into receiver via sat/cab connection on receiver. Oppo (Hdmi 1 out) into blu Ray connection on receiver. Not sure if it matters but the receiver is a marantz sr6008. What do I connect, and where, so I can run the directv through the oppo so I can use the darbee but still use the receiver for the sound? I am sure this is answered somewhere in this thread so I apologize in advance. I am pretty new to all this and I guess I need it explained so an idiot could figure it out. Thanks for the help!
Connect your Directv into Oppo (input); Oppo HDMI 1 (out) into reciver (input) and receiver (out) into your Epson projector. This will allow you to have the darbee effect on all content from Directv and the player. If you have a speaker system connected to your receiver, then you should be able to play and control all audio through the AVR being that all your connections and settings are correct. There are other configurations that will work but this one is the simplist and widely used. Also, i would recommend using all HDMI cables.
bmock17 likes this.
sunlinger is offline  
post #6844 of 8721 Old 03-20-2015, 12:24 AM
Newbie
 
cristisabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Romania
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One short question.Can you brownse the web on OPPO?I live in Romania so the only online service available on my US Oppo is You Tube.Thanks
cristisabo is offline  
post #6845 of 8721 Old 03-20-2015, 01:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver Island, BC - Canada
Posts: 16,403
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6721 Post(s)
Liked: 3326
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristisabo View Post
One short question.Can you brownse the web on OPPO?I live in Romania so the only online service available on my US Oppo is You Tube.Thanks
No.

~ Bob
"And it stoned me to my soul"
- Van Morrison
NorthSky is offline  
post #6846 of 8721 Old 03-20-2015, 05:46 AM
Member
 
bmock17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlinger View Post
Connect your Directv into Oppo (input); Oppo HDMI 1 (out) into reciver (input) and receiver (out) into your Epson projector. This will allow you to have the darbee effect on all content from Directv and the player. If you have a speaker system connected to your receiver, then you should be able to play and control all audio through the AVR being that all your connections and settings are correct. There are other configurations that will work but this one is the simplist and widely used. Also, i would recommend using all HDMI cables.
Ok, I will try that. Thanks for the info! What input would I have the receiver on if I want to watch tv? Since there is nothing plugged into the cab/sat input on the receiver would it be on the blu Ray input?
bmock17 is offline  
post #6847 of 8721 Old 03-20-2015, 06:25 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,714
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmock17 View Post
Ok, I will try that. Thanks for the info! What input would I have the receiver on if I want to watch tv? Since there is nothing plugged into the cab/sat input on the receiver would it be on the blu Ray input?
Yes, you would select the input that the Oppo is connected to on your AVR. You'll also need to select the appropriate input on the Oppo to select your DirecTV box (use the Input button on the Oppo remote).
bmock17 likes this.
gsr is offline  
post #6848 of 8721 Old 03-20-2015, 06:28 AM
Member
 
sunlinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Bmock17

You can plug the Oppo into any available input on the AVR, however, you'll need to select that input on your receiver in order to watch your display.
bmock17 likes this.
sunlinger is offline  
post #6849 of 8721 Old 03-20-2015, 07:17 AM
Senior Member
 
AVKIK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Have a question about my 103D hooked up to my older Denon 4802R receiver. I understand the trim setting on the OPPO and messed with it and it definitely distorts the audio when I go higher than 0.0. Would the "channel level" on my Denon be or mean the same thing as the "trim" on the OPPO? I ask because the range on my Denon is -12 to +12. It was set to 0 by default. I adjust it up to + 12 and it sounds very clean and obviously louder at lower volume setting through my paradigm studio v5's.. Is it ok to do this or could I be hurting my receiver or speakers? Thanks so much guys.
AVKIK is offline  
post #6850 of 8721 Old 03-20-2015, 07:23 AM
Member
 
bmock17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Yes, you would select the input that the Oppo is connected to on your AVR. You'll also need to select the appropriate input on the Oppo to select your DirecTV box (use the Input button on the Oppo remote).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlinger View Post
Bmock17

You can plug the Oppo into any available input on the AVR, however, you'll need to select that input on your receiver in order to watch your display.
Ok, makes sense. So basically i am leaving the oppo plugged into the Blu ray input of my receiver and running the HDMI cable from my directv box into the output of the oppo. I will leave the input on blu ray on my receiver and switch the input on the oppo to either input 1 or 2 depending on which one i connect it to. I will try this later when i get home from work. Thanks for the help, i appreciate it.
bmock17 is offline  
post #6851 of 8721 Old 03-20-2015, 07:37 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 29,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKIK View Post
Have a question about my 103D hooked up to my older Denon 4802R receiver. I understand the trim setting on the OPPO and messed with it and it definitely distorts the audio when I go higher than 0.0. Would the "channel level" on my Denon be or mean the same thing as the "trim" on the OPPO? I ask because the range on my Denon is -12 to +12. It was set to 0 by default. I adjust it up to + 12 and it sounds very clean and obviously louder at lower volume setting through my paradigm studio v5's.. Is it ok to do this or could I be hurting my receiver or speakers? Thanks so much guys.
This likely means you are clipping the Analog inputs on your Denon -- too much voltage. There's an easy fix if you want to keep doing the speaker trims in the OPPO. Simply lower ALL the speaker trims the same amount so that the largest trim is 0dB. When listening, simply adjust Main Volume upwards on the Denon to compensate.

It would be normal for the Denon to have more "headroom" on its outputs than on its inputs, which is why you can raise the channel trims in the Denon without hearing a problem. However, not all AVRs apply their speaker trims when you are listening to their multi-channel Analog inputs, which is why the OPPO includes its own trim adjustments. If your Denon DOES apply its speaker trims in that case, then yes you can combine them, but it is often easiest to keep all the trims in one place to keep things simpler. E.g., you could set all the trims in the OPPO to 0dB and do all the adjustment in the Denon or vice versa.

If you are also using digital audio (e.g., HDMI audio from the OPPO) then the speaker trims get done in the Denon. The OPPO settings only apply to its multi-channel ANALOG audio outputs. So check your levels with a calibration disc both over Analog and over Digital and make sure you've got it right both ways.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #6852 of 8721 Old 03-20-2015, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 3,487
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmock17 View Post
Ok, makes sense. So basically i am leaving the oppo plugged into the Blu ray input of my receiver and running the HDMI cable from my directv box into the output of the oppo. I will leave the input on blu ray on my receiver and switch the input on the oppo to either input 1 or 2 depending on which one i connect it to. I will try this later when i get home from work. Thanks for the help, i appreciate it.
Almost...

You want to take the output of the DirecTV box into one of the two HDMI inputs of the Oppo. Otherwise, everything else should work.
hernanu is offline  
post #6853 of 8721 Old 03-20-2015, 09:56 AM
Senior Member
 
AVKIK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKIK View Post
Have a question about my 103D hooked up to my older Denon 4802R receiver. I understand the trim setting on the OPPO and messed with it and it definitely distorts the audio when I go higher than 0.0. Would the "channel level" on my Denon be or mean the same thing as the "trim" on the OPPO? I ask because the range on my Denon is -12 to +12. It was set to 0 by default. I adjust it up to + 12 and it sounds very clean and obviously louder at lower volume setting through my paradigm studio v5's.. Is it ok to do this or could I be hurting my receiver or speakers? Thanks so much guys.
This likely means you are clipping the Analog inputs on your Denon -- too much voltage. There's an easy fix if you want to keep doing the speaker trims in the OPPO. Simply lower ALL the speaker trims the same amount so that the largest trim is 0dB. When listening, simply adjust Main Volume upwards on the Denon to compensate.

It would be normal for the Denon to have more "headroom" on its outputs than on its inputs, which is why you can raise the channel trims in the Denon without hearing a problem. However, not all AVRs apply their speaker trims when you are listening to their multi-channel Analog inputs, which is why the OPPO includes its own trim adjustments. If your Denon DOES apply its speaker trims in that case, then yes you can combine them, but it is often easiest to keep all the trims in one place to keep things simpler. E.g., you could set all the trims in the OPPO to 0dB and do all the adjustment in the Denon or vice versa.

If you are also using digital audio (e.g., HDMI audio from the OPPO) then the speaker trims get done in the Denon. The OPPO settings only apply to its multi-channel ANALOG audio outputs. So check your levels with a calibration disc both over Analog and over Digital and make sure you've got it right both ways.
--Bob
Thanks so much for the response bob. So is it safe to have the Denon at +12 since the Oppo is at 0.0? Or should I just set both to 0 and compensate with a higher volume setting? Like I said, I hear no distortion or clipping at all. I listen to my movies using analog and my music with optical. Thanks again.
AVKIK is offline  
post #6854 of 8721 Old 03-20-2015, 11:53 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 29,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKIK View Post
Thanks so much for the response bob. So is it safe to have the Denon at +12 since the Oppo is at 0.0? Or should I just set both to 0 and compensate with a higher volume setting? Like I said, I hear no distortion or clipping at all. I listen to my movies using analog and my music with optical. Thanks again.
I don't know your Denon well enough to know if there are any specific gotchas, but it is probably safe as the output of the Denon is simply the combo of the channel trims and the main Volume setting. Higher trims and a lower Volume give you the same output.

The Rule of Thumb is to bias the trims around 0dB. In other words, if all the trims are positive, simply lower them all by the same amount so that they are balanced either side of 0dB for the different channels. That's just to keep from running into some limitation, such as temporary trim adjustments becoming unavailable for a channel because you've already used up all the trim range.

Better AVRs and pre-pros attempt to offer a path to "calibrated" audio output levels -- typically targeted at 75dB SPL for home theater. A common approach is that the built in test tones played through the selected speaker trims correspond to what a "reference level" source signal will produce when played with a Main Volume of -10dB. So if you are interested in setting such calibrated levels, you get your SPL meter and set the speaker trims so that you get 75dB SPL from each speaker (and the Sub). Then, if you play content with Main Volume set to -10dB you are suppose to be getting calibrated output levels. Note that different content will be louder (perhaps much louder) or softer than other content simply because of the way it is recorded. I.e., movies are often recorded at something other than (usually louder than) "reference" levels. The -10dB choice is typically used to reflect the difference between home theater and movie theater setups. If you want to hear what movie theater calibrated levels (85dB) sound like, you crank Main Volume up to 0dB. And be prepared to duck any falling plaster.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #6855 of 8721 Old 03-20-2015, 12:01 PM
Member
 
bmock17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Almost...

You want to take the output of the DirecTV box into one of the two HDMI inputs of the Oppo. Otherwise, everything else should work.
Right, hook it up to one of the inputs on the oppo; that is what I meant. Thanks for catching my error.
bmock17 is offline  
post #6856 of 8721 Old 03-20-2015, 12:02 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 30,921
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ Do you NEED to use quick start (for the mobile app)?
If you don't use the mobile app, try setting the player to Energy Efficient and it will probably help.
You can try different power-on sequences as you mentioned.
I have a similar problem sometimes too, but I have really simplified my setup and
I currently just use a BDP-105D straight to power amps and no processor in between.
What works best for me though is powering on the player first, then the display after the player is fully booted.
I do have Quick Start enabled also, but using that power sequence I rarely have issues anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
No, I don't need Quick Start for any particular reason, I just figured it would have the unit ready to go quicker which I thought would make it ready to handshake quicker. I'll try the Energy Efficient setting tonight and see how it goes.
This seems to be working well so far, I have yet to give it a full stress test - on/off, source changes, etc - but I think by the end of the weekend I should know for sure, and I'm guessing the results will be good.
Keenan is online now  
post #6857 of 8721 Old 03-20-2015, 05:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Oppo vs. Panasonic DMP-BDT110

I have a 47" Vizio Model #: XVT3D474SV with a Panasonic DMP-BDT110 blu-ray player. How much if any of a better picture would an Oppo BDP-103D give me? Would it be very noticeable? I am wondering mostly if it is worth the money. Thanks, Anthony
Anthonys117 is offline  
post #6858 of 8721 Old 03-20-2015, 05:43 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 20,084
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonys117 View Post
I have a 47" Vizio Model #: XVT3D474SV with a Panasonic DMP-BDT110 blu-ray player. How much if any of a better picture would an Oppo BDP-103D give me? Would it be very noticeable? I am wondering mostly if it is worth the money. Thanks, Anthony
For Blu-ray, the only difference will be in the optional Darbee processing. It is a subtle effect when used properly, but many people think a positive one.

Darbee is also available as a separate device, the Darblet, which you could use with your current player.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is offline  
post #6859 of 8721 Old 03-20-2015, 06:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I heard so many people raving about how the Oppo was the best Blu-Ray player I was thinking maybe I should get one. Thanks for the reply.
Anthonys117 is offline  
post #6860 of 8721 Old 03-20-2015, 07:54 PM
Member
 
bmock17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXT64 View Post
The Darbee is in the Oppo, so if you want to apply Darbee to a video source, that video source must go through the 103D. So connect the HDMI of the DirecTV box to the HDMI IN on the 103D and you should be good to go. So running HDMI from DirecTV > Oppo > Receiver > Projector will get what you are asking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlinger View Post
Connect your Directv into Oppo (input); Oppo HDMI 1 (out) into reciver (input) and receiver (out) into your Epson projector. This will allow you to have the darbee effect on all content from Directv and the player. If you have a speaker system connected to your receiver, then you should be able to play and control all audio through the AVR being that all your connections and settings are correct. There are other configurations that will work but this one is the simplist and widely used. Also, i would recommend using all HDMI cables.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Yes, you would select the input that the Oppo is connected to on your AVR. You'll also need to select the appropriate input on the Oppo to select your DirecTV box (use the Input button on the Oppo remote).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlinger View Post
Bmock17

You can plug the Oppo into any available input on the AVR, however, you'll need to select that input on your receiver in order to watch your display.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Almost...

You want to take the output of the DirecTV box into one of the two HDMI inputs of the Oppo. Otherwise, everything else should work.
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that responded. Now that I did it based on your suggestions it seems like a no brainer. It's working great so thanks again.
bmock17 is offline  
post #6861 of 8721 Old 03-20-2015, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hifiaudio2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,089
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
So I watched my first movie since getting the 103D streamed over NFS from my Synology. Things went well for the most part, but there was 2-3 times during the movie where the video had a hiccup, probably a frame repeat since it looked like it was in slow motion for about half a second. Then there was also an audio hiccup 2-3 different times where it glitched or went in and out for 1-2 seconds. I was playing back a 1:1 Blu Ray MKV rip with lossless audio over HDMI 1 set to 1080p output with Darbee active. I have never gotten any hiccups like this playing back the same files from my Synology using my Dune Smart D1.

Any thoughts on the cause? I will be sending it back if this happens again. I am not sure if selecting the DLNA Synology server to click the movie or the SMB protocol / server to select the movie would result in better playback. NFS works well on the Dune and I think NFS is supposedly the "fastest" protocol on most media players that support it so I went with it first.
Well I watched Nightcrawler tonight and used SMB this time. The movie played flawlessly ALMOST the entire time. Instead of various audio and video glitches or dropouts like I described above, this time I got one single 3-4 second pause about 53 min into the movie. I went back to the scene when it was over and the issue did not happen again. I guess it's going back. No issues like this with the Dune. Disappointing.
hifiaudio2 is offline  
post #6862 of 8721 Old 03-21-2015, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 6,793
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonys117 View Post
I heard so many people raving about how the Oppo was the best Blu-Ray player I was thinking maybe I should get one. Thanks for the reply.
The only catch is some players still fail pertinent video tests. The older Panny's are fine, and if you need a new one, Sony is a good way to go.

LG 65EF9500 / Sony UHP-H1
AV7702mkII / Model 5000
Klipsch RF-7II's / RC-64II
Dual Rythmik FV15HP's
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #6863 of 8721 Old 03-21-2015, 10:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks. I may be buying a new TV soon. Would there be any noticeable advantage in the up-scaling to 4k between the Panasonic, the Oppo and the Sony? Thanks, Anthony
Anthonys117 is offline  
post #6864 of 8721 Old 03-21-2015, 01:04 PM
Member
 
bmock17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a question about the video settings. I have my direct tv box set to native, and the oppo set to auto. I read in previous posts that people recommend setting the oppo to 1080p. Is this still the best set up for picture quality? I have an epson projector that is capable of displaying 1080p images. Also, should I leave my directv box at native, or change that to a different setting?
bmock17 is offline  
post #6865 of 8721 Old 03-21-2015, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 17,756
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmock17 View Post
I have a question about the video settings. I have my direct tv box set to native, and the oppo set to auto. I read in previous posts that people recommend setting the oppo to 1080p. Is this still the best set up for picture quality? I have an epson projector that is capable of displaying 1080p images. Also, should I leave my directv box at native, or change that to a different setting?
To get the best PQ on any given channel, you will want to leave your STB set to 'native'.
When you do that though, and you switch between channels where on is broadcast in 1080i,
and the other is broadcast in 720p, you may get a slight delay of the on screen video.
Some people find that to be inconsequential to getting the best PQ,
and others find it to be intolerable, so it's up to you.

It's usually better to put settings at an explicit setting rather than AUTO.
If you always want to send a 1080p feed to your display, then you should probably set the player to 1080p.
That way you don't ever have to worry about the player getting confused and sending out something else.
However there really aren't any reports of AUTO not working correctly,
so you may be fine with AUTO, but setting to 1080p would definitely eliminate any doubt as to what the player is sending out.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #6866 of 8721 Old 03-21-2015, 05:27 PM
Member
 
sunlinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlinger View Post
I'm having lip sync issues and not sure if it's my display or Oppo 103D. My connection is STB > Oppo > AVR > Display with HDMI cables. When I'm watching a local HD channel and there's a commercial break in standard def., the syncing issue occurs. I have to turn off/on either tv/player to correct. I can change channels and watch continually with commercials with no problems as long as the source stays in HD. My display is a Samsung f8500. Thanks
No Opinions?
sunlinger is offline  
post #6867 of 8721 Old 03-22-2015, 08:04 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 29,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 1331
^ Check that you have the latest firmware installed. In Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information the "Main" version number should end 0827.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #6868 of 8721 Old 03-22-2015, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nott'm, UK
Posts: 2,444
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlinger View Post
I'm having lip sync issues and not sure if it's my display or Oppo 103D. My connection is STB > Oppo > AVR > Display with HDMI cables. When I'm watching a local HD channel and there's a commercial break in standard def., the syncing issue occurs. I have to turn off/on either tv/player to correct. I can change channels and watch continually with commercials with no problems as long as the source stays in HD. My display is a Samsung f8500. Thanks
I suggest that you disable any 'A/V Sync' option you may have enabled on your TV and just use the option provided by your surround sound amplifier.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 03-22-2015 at 08:34 AM. Reason: spellings
SeeMoreDigital is online now  
post #6869 of 8721 Old 03-22-2015, 09:41 AM
Member
 
bmock17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
To get the best PQ on any given channel, you will want to leave your STB set to 'native'.
When you do that though, and you switch between channels where on is broadcast in 1080i,
and the other is broadcast in 720p, you may get a slight delay of the on screen video.
Some people find that to be inconsequential to getting the best PQ,
and others find it to be intolerable, so it's up to you.

It's usually better to put settings at an explicit setting rather than AUTO.
If you always want to send a 1080p feed to your display, then you should probably set the player to 1080p.
That way you don't ever have to worry about the player getting confused and sending out something else.
However there really aren't any reports of AUTO not working correctly,
so you may be fine with AUTO, but setting to 1080p would definitely eliminate any doubt as to what the player is sending out.
Thanks Dave. I am definitely experiencing the delay issues when changing channels but I can live with it.

On a side note, I bought the wow calibration disc. Should I adjust the settings on my projector or the setting in the oppo when calibrating the display?
bmock17 is offline  
post #6870 of 8721 Old 03-22-2015, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 17,756
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmock17 View Post
Thanks Dave. I am definitely experiencing the delay issues when changing channels but I can live with it.

On a side note, I bought the wow calibration disc. Should I adjust the settings on my projector or the setting in the oppo when calibrating the display?
Anything that can be adjusted in the display, do it there first.
Then adjust player settings after you have properly calibrated the display.
Most modern displays should be able to be calibrated properly without any settings changing in the player.
Just use the player to add 'enhancements' to the picture, most notably with Darbee.
Most people leave all the other picture settings in the player at -0-, but some like a little more 'enhancement'.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off