Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 231 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #6901 of 6921 Old Yesterday, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Yeah anything that has a wired option in my house gets wired. The only things that dont are iPads and I think the Wii U is wireless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6902 of 6921 Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 483
That's fine, are the other devices 100Mbit or 1Gbit devices?

I ask because the Oppo is 100 Mbit, sometimes a mismatch causes throughput (the ability to deliver packets in a timely manner) to be affected.

Also, is the flow control on your switch turned on?
post #6903 of 6921 Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah Bob mentioned something about flow control earlier, but its not a managed switch. I don't believe I have any options.

There is a mix of 10/100 and gig devices though. Although not all of them are powered on most of the time. The 10/100 ones would be the Oppo, an AppleTV, the Dune Smart D1 (I think its 10/100) - there might be another out there.

But those are off if I am using the Oppo.
post #6904 of 6921 Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
Yeah Bob mentioned something about flow control earlier, but its not a managed switch. I don't believe I have any options.

There is a mix of 10/100 and gig devices though. Although not all of them are powered on most of the time. The 10/100 ones would be the Oppo, an AppleTV, the Dune Smart D1 (I think its 10/100) - there might be another out there.

But those are off if I am using the Oppo.
Looks like it supports flow control both for full duplex and half duplex. I'm assuming you're running it full duplex.

A couple of things to try if it's possible / easy.

1. Disconnect the other devices physically from the switch and see how the Oppo and the Synology only situation looks.
  2. Bypass the switch and plug the Oppo and Synology only to the Asus router.

What speed is the Synology running at?

Last edited by hernanu; Yesterday at 07:57 AM.
post #6905 of 6921 Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

The Synology reports Gigabit, full duplex, MTU 1500

I did realize one more 10/100 device is wired to the switch and is probably always "active" - a RadioRa2 repeater for my lighting.

I can try disconnecting these things but I honestly don't know if I can get enough time to troubleshoot that entire scenario before needing to send the unit back on the RMA I received. I will likely have to watch most of or entire movies to see if the issue persists. Like I said originally, the last problem I had was a single 3-5 second full freeze of audio and video at about the 52 or so minute mark of the movie Nightcrawler that I was watching. I went back to the same point once the movie was over and the problem was not recreated. So a random single issue that must be caused by how the Oppo is handling the data stream it is receiving in the midst of a 2 hour movie is hard to troubleshoot. I have not watched another movie since that one a few nights ago.
post #6906 of 6921 Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, just some thoughts to troubleshoot the issue, seeing as you're getting throughput problems.

I design networks and would look at source to destination type controls like flow control for an answer to that.

I have to say I have a NAS setup and use MKV contained movies, and have not run into a full freeze while playing. I'm not sure I've seen any freezes.

May be just luck, but I did tune the network with each new component I've added, since I don't want to get any issues.

Anyways, good luck, it's unfortunate you haven't been able to get the same performance I'm getting.
post #6907 of 6921 Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the help, I will keep trying for a bit. I called Oppo and they gave me a 2 week extension on the return so I have a little more time.

I think the Synology has a flow control setting but it seems that from what I read online it is only enables when link aggregation is used for the two Synology ports. I only use the one port.
post #6908 of 6921 Old Today, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does anyone know when the next players will be out ? If it's not for a while, I'll order a 103D. Thanks !
post #6909 of 6921 Old Today, 08:06 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post
Does anyone know when the next players will be out ? If it's not for a while, I'll order a 103D. Thanks !
Not this year, and maybe not next.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #6910 of 6921 Old Today, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
It's not for a while. Oppo have speculated sometime within a year or so after 4K media is fully realized which could be as much as two years from now.

post #6911 of 6921 Old Today, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Not this year, and maybe not next.

-Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrian View Post
It's not for a while. Oppo have speculated sometime within a year or so after 4K media is fully realized which could be as much as two years from now.
Thank you very much for the answer guys ! One more question before I pull the trigger. Between the 103D and 105D, which one will give you the better sound ? I'm not very technical but when reading on the 105D, it makes it sound like the upgraded sound from 103D to 105D is only when using the USB port ? Unless I'm reading that wrong. Is there a difference when just playing a BD as far as sound quality ?
post #6912 of 6921 Old Today, 08:13 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Thank you very much for the answer guys ! One more question before I pull the trigger. Between the 103D and 105D, which one will give you the better sound ? I'm not very technical but when reading on the 105D, it makes it sound like the upgraded sound from 103D to 105D is only when using the USB port ? Unless I'm reading that wrong. Is there a difference when just playing a BD as far as sound quality ?
The better sound from the 105D only comes into play when you're using the analog audio outputs. If you'll be connecting it to an AVR or pre-pro with HDMI, then save your money and get the 103D.
post #6913 of 6921 Old Today, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Depends, if you are using HDMI as your main connection then no, they would probably sound alike, the reason for going with the 105d is the improved DAC's, if you use HDMI or optical you will be using your AVR or processor's DAC.
post #6914 of 6921 Old Today, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
The better sound from the 105D only comes into play when you're using the analog audio outputs. If you'll be connecting it to an AVR or pre-pro with HDMI, then save your money and get the 103D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorTorden View Post
Depends, if you are using HDMI as your main connection then no, they would probably sound alike, the reason for going with the 105d is the improved DAC's, if you use HDMI or optical you will be using your AVR or processor's DAC.
Thanks again for the replies guys. Right now on my BDP93 I use HDMI with my Pioneer Elite SC-68. If I got a 105D is there a good way to get better sound with my SC-68 than HDMI ?
post #6915 of 6921 Old Today, 08:34 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Thanks again for the replies guys. Right now on my BDP93 I use HDMI with my Pioneer Elite SC-68. If I got a 105D is there a good way to get better sound with my SC-68 than HDMI ?
IMO, the 103D would be the better choice in your case.
post #6916 of 6921 Old Today, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
IMO, the 103D would be the better choice in your case.
Thank you. I'm just trying to make the right choice since the 105D is $1500 here in Canada, as opposed to $750 for 103D.
post #6917 of 6921 Old Today, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Main reason I could see going for the 105d instead of settling for the 103d would be if you simply didn't have a digital receiver but a higher end pre-amp setup from yonder days that simply sounds too good to swap.

Or that you simply just want to.

I also think for your use the 103d would perform just as well as a 105d unless you want features like separate stereo analog output for music, or use it as a USB pc DAC, but with all the network features in the oppo I dont have to involve my pc anyways outside for serving files out to the network.
post #6918 of 6921 Unread Today, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorTorden View Post
Main reason I could see going for the 105d instead of settling for the 103d would be if you simply didn't have a digital receiver but a higher end pre-amp setup from yonder days that simply sounds too good to swap.

Or that you simply just want to.

I also think for your use the 103d would perform just as well as a 105d unless you want features like separate stereo analog output for music, or use it as a USB pc DAC, but with all the network features in the oppo I dont have to involve my pc anyways outside for serving files out to the network.
Thanks! I think I'll just go for the 103D. I have the Elite SC-68 and a NAD M25, so I doubt I'd get any better with a 105D.
post #6919 of 6921 Unread Today, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Now , if they could just find a way to stop that flashing 12:00 o`clock !!

Me 
post #6920 of 6921 Unread Today, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 27
You're not gonna see whole world of difference unless you turn Darbee up all the way, which I wouldn't recommend as artifacts starts plastering all over the place. Additionally, the Oppo has to be turned on at all time for pass-through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmock17 View Post
Ok, I will try that. Thanks for the info! What input would I have the receiver on if I want to watch tv? Since there is nothing plugged into the cab/sat input on the receiver would it be on the blu Ray input?
post #6921 of 6921 Unread Today, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 46
45 for SD & 35 for BD , works good for me !

Later

Gary 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page