Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 232 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #6931 of 7499 Old 03-28-2015, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
Thanks for the help, I will keep trying for a bit. I called Oppo and they gave me a 2 week extension on the return so I have a little more time.

I think the Synology has a flow control setting but it seems that from what I read online it is only enables when link aggregation is used for the two Synology ports. I only use the one port.
Well its pretty hard to troubleshoot when the problem isn't always there. I changed nothing, and just finished watching Dracula Untold without a single hiccup. Guess I will just keep testing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6932 of 7499 Old 03-28-2015, 09:54 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Think about what else might be active on your network. For example, some of the TV Anywhere cable boxes are known to flood the network periodically looking for clients to serve TV to.

It sounds like you are actually pretty close to getting this working reliably, so there may be just one miscreant on your network causing the problem.

If you are using Ethernet hubs (everything sees ALL the traffic from everything else) consider upgrading to suitably high speed switches which help shield devices from irrelevant traffic.
--Bob
post #6933 of 7499 Old 03-29-2015, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Forgive me if this is a really stupid question, or if it's already been answered 70 times in the last 7000 pages...

I just built a new house. I've got 2 A/V systems in it, one a "normal" living room 5.1 system and one is a 7.1 dedicated theater with a JVC 4810 projector onto a 120" screen. The theater is a "work in progress" and probably won't be finished until sometime in the summertime. I've bought all the gear, but there are lots of acoustic treatments to do to the room first.

I bought two refurbished Oppo 103's last year. One is actually a 103D that was intended for the theater. But since I'm installing the living room system first, I figure I'd put the 103D in there for the time-being, just for the heck of it. I figure I can also noodle out how the Darbee processor tech works with my 55" LG LHX. (Yes, I actually scored one of those 240 zone FALD's, baby - they only made a few hundred of 'em before pulling the plug back in 2010. As my daddy used to say, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now & then.)

Anyway, good as the LHX is (lowest black levels since the famed Pioneer Kuro), perhaps the 103D can make the picture even better! So, here are my questions: Should I put the Oppo "in between" the DVR and the receiver via HDMI, which then sends the video to the TV via HDMI? Will the Oppo "pass through" the full HDMI signal (video + audio) from the DVR even when it's turned off? If so, then I could leave it off most of the time, but turn it on to process the DVR video (or watch BD's -- I understand it does that too) whenever I felt like it.

I will also hook up the Oppo to the DVR (where the built-in router is) via an ethernet network cable from the DVR -- it's 6-tuner whole-house MOXI system with little satellite boxes (they call them MOXI-mates. Isn't that cute.) That way I can take advantage of the Internet streaming stuff via the Oppo. But I don't know if that ethernet cable is all I need to get the cable TV signal to the A/V receiver or if I still need an HDMI cable going there as well...?

I can't find the answers in the Oppo owner's manual, so I thought I'd post here where the smart kids hang out. Thanks smart kids!

Last edited by archiguy; 03-29-2015 at 08:51 AM.
post #6934 of 7499 Old 03-29-2015, 08:56 AM
Read the FAQ!

The OPPO must be on to get HDMI through it.

Cable TV boxes do not send audio or video of cable TV broadcasts over Ethernet to an AVR. The connection into the AVR, whether direct from the cable box or through the OPPO, will be HDMI.
--Bob
post #6935 of 7499 Old 03-29-2015, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The OPPO must be on to get HDMI through it.

Cable TV boxes do not send audio or video of cable TV broadcasts over Ethernet to an AVR. The connection into the AVR, whether direct from the cable box or through the OPPO, will be HDMI.
--Bob
Thanks. Bob. Your answer was a lot shorter than my question.

My MOXI-mate DVR only has one HDMI out. But I need to get that HDMI signal to the Receiver from both places -- the DVR and the Oppo (since the Oppo won't pass the HDMI through in its "off" state). So, what I need to do is to get some kind of HDMI splitter that will split the signal from the DVR so I can get it to both the Oppo and the AVR. That correct?

One other question as long as I have you on the line... I have a bunch of SACD's and DVD-A's that I'll want to listen to with the Oppo, it being a universal player 'n all. Should I send the multi-channel signal directly to my Receiver (Marantz SR6007) via HDMI, or hook up the 6 multi-channel analog cables? I guess that comes down to whether the Marantz or the Oppo should decode the multi-channel tracks, huh? What would you do?
post #6936 of 7499 Old 03-29-2015, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
. I have a bunch of SACD's and DVD-A's that I'll want to listen to with the Oppo, it being a universal player 'n all. Should I send the multi-channel signal directly to my Receiver (Marantz SR6007) via HDMI, or hook up the 6 multi-channel analog cables? I guess that comes down to whether the Marantz or the Oppo should decode the multi-channel tracks, huh? What would you do?
HDMI to AVR
post #6937 of 7499 Old 03-29-2015, 10:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Thanks. Bob. Your answer was a lot shorter than my question.

My MOXI-mate DVR only has one HDMI out. But I need to get that HDMI signal to the Receiver from both places -- the DVR and the Oppo (since the Oppo won't pass the HDMI through in its "off" state). So, what I need to do is to get some kind of HDMI splitter that will split the signal from the DVR so I can get it to both the Oppo and the AVR. That correct?
In the recent past I've had great success with the 5 port version of the Kinovo HDMI switch. It comes with a remote but also auto-senses as I recall. I just programmed my Harmony remote to select the correct input for a particular scenario. It worked great, amazingly well in fact as a lot of times these little HDMI switch boxes can be finicky and unreliable but this one was rock solid the whole time I used it. Of course you'll have to try it yourself to be sure it works for your particular setup. And if it doesn't, returning something to Amazon is ridiculously easy.
post #6938 of 7499 Old 03-29-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Jimbo, but I think I need just the opposite. That Kinovo HDMI switch takes multiple inputs into one output. What I really need is a switch (splitter?) with one input and multiple outputs. Now that I think about it, I really just need one input - from the little "Moxi-mate" STB. But I need 3 outputs from that device:

1) directly to the AVR, then on to the TV.
2) to the Oppo, then on to the AVR (in case I want the Oppo to process the DVR signal).
2) to the "Media Box" for the TV. The LG-LHX television has the tuner and volume controls not in the display itself (it's just a monitor) but in a separate box that sends a wireless signal to the TV (the idea was that it could then be placed anywhere in the room, no cable) or with a straight HDMI connection (what I use).

The TV's Media Box has a noisy fan that runs constantly as long as the box is plugged in, so unless I want to listen to the TV through it's own speakers, I'll by-pass the Media Box with an HDMI connection directly to the AVR (#1, above). There may be occasions when, for some reason, I'll still want to use the media box (that's also where all the TV's setup and picture controls are) so I still need to have that option.

Last edited by archiguy; 03-29-2015 at 11:31 AM.
post #6939 of 7499 Old 03-29-2015, 11:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Thanks Jimbo, but I think I need just the opposite. That Kinovo HDMI switch takes multiple inputs into one output. What I really need is a switch with one input and multiple outputs. Now that I think about it, I really just need one input - from the little "Moxi-mate" STB. But I need 3 outputs from that device:

1) directly to the AVR, then on to the TV.
2) to the Oppo, then on to the AVR (in case I want the Oppo to process the DVR signal).
2) to the "Media Box" for the TV. The LG-LHX television has the tuner and volume controls not in the display itself (it's just a monitor) but in a separate box that sends a wireless signal to the TV (the idea was that it could then be placed anywhere in the room, no cable) or with a straight HDMI connection (what I use).

The TV's Media Box has a noisy fan that runs constantly as long as the box is plugged in, so unless I want to listen to the TV through it's own speakers, I'll by-pass the Media Box with an HDMI connection directly to the AVR (#1, above). There may be occasions when, for some reason, I'll still want to use the media box (that's also where all the TV's setup and picture controls are) so I still need to have that option.
Like this maybe? I've used a few of the 2 port models in the past and never had any problem with them.
post #6940 of 7499 Old 03-29-2015, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Like this maybe? I've used a few of the 2 port models in the past and never had any problem with them.
Yeah, I think so. That one's kind of expensive, but I don't know whether cheaper ones would function as well. This one for example...

Last edited by archiguy; 03-29-2015 at 11:49 AM.
post #6941 of 7499 Old 03-29-2015, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Of course, I could eliminate the splitter altogether under this scenario:

The DVR is connected directly to the AVR via HDMI, and from there directly to the TV display. The Oppo is connected to one of the AVR's other HDMI inputs. So, would the Oppo still be able to process the DVR signal via the HDMI connection with the AVR when it's AVR input is selected? In other words, is it necessary for the Oppo to have a direct HDMI connection to the DVR in order to get it to process video signals, or can it work back-and-forth with the AVR via that cable when the Oppo is switched on?

Since the AVR has two HDMI outs, it could send one to the TV display, for when I want the full 5.1 sound system involved, and it could send the other one to the TV's Media Box for the times when I need that box for TV setup or sound.
post #6942 of 7499 Old 03-29-2015, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have a silly question. I've posted on here before that I have an older Denon 4802R receiver with no HDMI capabilities paired with my 103D. I've been using the 5.1 analog out on my OPPO for movies and optical for my music. My question is, is there much or any difference in sound quality between the using the OPPO's analog out and using the oppos HDMI out if I had a receiver that could accept it? So in other words, am I missing much by not having a newer receiver with HDMI in?? The mess of wires is a bit of a pain, but I care more about sound quality, so I can tolerate the analog cables for now. Also just want to make sure that I'm making the right move by using the analog for movies and not the optical. Figured that way I could take advantage of the Dolby TRUE HD and DTS HD. Thanks guys.
post #6943 of 7499 Old 03-29-2015, 12:46 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Highest quality audio is available either using the multi-channel Analog outputs or the HDMI output. The Optical and Coax digital audio outputs are limited in what they can carry and won't make the highest quality available for things like Blu-ray movies. In some cases (SACD audio discs), the Optical and Coax outputs won't carry ANY audio.

It's not easy to predict whether you will prefer Analog or HDMI for audio. HDMI is easier to set up and use correctly but the audio quality depends on the Analog output stage of your AVR.

Typically, for a 103D owner, I recommend they use HDMI audio simply because there are fewer ways to screw up the setup. But if you already have a quality Analog audio setup which is done right, and working well for you, odds are you won't notice an improvement switching to HDMI except in the ability to take advantage of value-added audio processing in the AVR -- things like Room Correction.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6944 of 7499 Old 03-29-2015, 12:53 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Of course, I could eliminate the splitter altogether under this scenario:

The DVR is connected directly to the AVR via HDMI, and from there directly to the TV display. The Oppo is connected to one of the AVR's other HDMI inputs. So, would the Oppo still be able to process the DVR signal via the HDMI connection with the AVR when it's AVR input is selected? In other words, is it necessary for the Oppo to have a direct HDMI connection to the DVR in order to get it to process video signals, or can it work back-and-forth with the AVR via that cable when the Oppo is switched on?

Since the AVR has two HDMI outs, it could send one to the TV display, for when I want the full 5.1 sound system involved, and it could send the other one to the TV's Media Box for the times when I need that box for TV setup or sound.
I think you are headed for trouble here. You are trying to make this rather complicated.

However, to answer your question, to get HDMI video INTO the OPPO -- i.e., so that the OPPO can process that video -- you need to connect the OUTPUT of some device to one of the HDMI INPUTS of the OPPO. I.e., you can not push video back into the OPPO on either of its HDMI Output sockets.

Furthermore, the Copy Protection protocol the industry has foisted on HDMI users tends to get really cranky if you have a complicated HDMI cabling topology. For example, if a signal loops out of one device and later back into that same device on another socket, Copy Protection will typically have a stroke. And if an HDMI source signal reaches any single device (e.g., the AVR or TV) on two different inputs at the same time, Copy Protection will often have a hissy fit. What's going on here is sufficiently complicated that some folks can actually get away with doing just these sorts of things, but others will find they can't make it work. Copy Protection failures show either as loss of audio/video (muting) or as infinite HDMI handshake retries which never produce a working connection.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 03-29-2015 at 12:57 PM.
post #6945 of 7499 Old 03-29-2015, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKIK View Post
I have a silly question. I've posted on here before that I have an older Denon 4802R receiver with no HDMI capabilities paired with my 103D. I've been using the 5.1 analog out on my OPPO for movies and optical for my music. ...
Thanks guys.
Why not just use the 103's analog outs for "all" your music (especially if your AVR has no hdmi inputs)? Why are you using the 103's optical out for your audio only sources? Sending an optical signal to your AVR means you're not using the 103's DAC and are choosing to use the DAC in your outdated AVR unit. Why not just utilize the benefits of the 103's DAC (i.e. analog outputs) for all your audio needs?
post #6946 of 7499 Old 03-29-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
^ Highest quality audio is available either using the multi-channel Analog outputs or the HDMI output. The Optical and Coax digital audio outputs are limited in what they can carry and won't make the highest quality available for things like Blu-ray movies. In some cases (SACD audio discs), the Optical and Coax outputs won't carry ANY audio.

It's not easy to predict whether you will prefer Analog or HDMI for audio. HDMI is easier to set up and use correctly but the audio quality depends on the Analog output stage of your AVR.

Typically, for a 103D owner, I recommend they use HDMI audio simply because there are fewer ways to screw up the setup. But if you already have a quality Analog audio setup which is done right, and working well for you, odds are you won't notice an improvement switching to HDMI except in the ability to take advantage of value-added audio processing in the AVR -- things like Room Correction.
--Bob
Thanks again for all the great help Bob.
post #6947 of 7499 Old 03-29-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Quote:
I have a silly question. I've posted on here before that I have an older Denon 4802R receiver with no HDMI capabilities paired with my 103D. I've been using the 5.1 analog out on my OPPO for movies and optical for my music. ...
Thanks guys.
Why not just use the 103's analog outs for "all" your music (especially if your AVR has no hdmi inputs)? Why are you using the 103's optical out for your audio only sources? Sending an optical signal to your AVR means you're not using the 103's DAC and are choosing to use the DAC in your outdated AVR unit. Why not just utilize the benefits of the 103's DAC (i.e. analog outputs) for all your audio needs?
DanF8500, I don't always use the analog because I listen to quite a few CD's and it will only play 2.0 and won't kick my subwoofer on. With optical I can play 5 channel stereo with my sub. It would be great to use analog with my sub while listening to CD's. If I'm missing something feel free to let me know. Thanks.
post #6948 of 7499 Old 03-29-2015, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I think you are headed for trouble here. You are trying to make this rather complicated.

However, to answer your question, to get HDMI video INTO the OPPO -- i.e., so that the OPPO can process that video -- you need to connect the OUTPUT of some device to one of the HDMI INPUTS of the OPPO. I.e., you can not push video back into the OPPO on either of its HDMI Output sockets.

Furthermore, the Copy Protection protocol the industry has foisted on HDMI users tends to get really cranky if you have a complicated HDMI cabling topology. For example, if a signal loops out of one device and later back into that same device on another socket, Copy Protection will typically have a stroke. And if an HDMI source signal reaches any single device (e.g., the AVR or TV) on two different inputs at the same time, Copy Protection will often have a hissy fit. What's going on here is sufficiently complicated that some folks can actually get away with doing just these sorts of things, but others will find they can't make it work. Copy Protection failures show either as loss of audio/video (muting) or as infinite HDMI handshake retries which never produce a working connection.
--Bob
Okay, thanks for that explanation. I think I have the answer now. I definitely need a splitter so that I can send the HDMI signal coming out of the DVR to those 3 places: directly to the AVR, to the Oppo, and to the TV's Media Box. All three will then send their respective HDMI output to different HDMI inputs on the AVR. The AVR will then send only one HDMI out, to the TV.

Seems like that will be the most simple approach. The AVR should only "accept" input from one HDMI input at a time, so there should be no CP conflicts, I'm assuming.
post #6949 of 7499 Old 03-29-2015, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
DanF8500, I don't always use the analog because I listen to quite a few CD's and it will only play 2.0 and won't kick my subwoofer on. With optical I can play 5 channel stereo with my sub. It would be great to use analog with my sub while listening to CD's. If I'm missing something feel free to let me know. Thanks.
Your AVR is converting your original 2-ch LPCM audio the Oppo is sending it (via optical) into simulated multi-ch audio via its digital signal processor (simulated audio effects). If you prefer to hear more than what the original 2-ch source was intended to be listened as, then by all means continue listening to your music this way. I prefer to hear my 2-ch audio through 2-channels....no simulated audio effects.

I've never used this feature in the Oppo player before, but there's a setting called DTS Neo:6 which supposedly expands original 2-ch stereo sources to multi-ch surround (7.0 or 7.1 utilizing bass management in the 103).

Last edited by DanF8500; 03-29-2015 at 02:26 PM.
post #6950 of 7499 Old 03-29-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Your AVR is converting your original 2-ch LPCM audio the Oppo is sending it (via optical) into simulated multi-ch audio via its digital signal processor (simulated audio effects). If you prefer to hear more than what the original 2-ch source was intended to be listened as, then by all means continue listening to your music this way. I prefer to hear my 2-ch audio through 2-channels....no simulated audio effects.
That is pretty much what I figured. I too like the original 2-ch source, but it tends to lack a little in the low bass department for me. I have paradigm studio 100's v5, but they don't dig as deep as I'd like. Thanks.
post #6951 of 7499 Old 03-29-2015, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That is pretty much what I figured. I too like the original 2-ch source, but it tends to lack a little in the low bass department for me. I have paradigm studio 100's v5, but they don't dig as deep as I'd like. Thanks.
Read the additional paragraph I added after you quoted me. It may be applicable to your needs.
post #6952 of 7499 Old 03-29-2015, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Forgive me if this is a really stupid question, or if it's already been answered 70 times in the last 7000 pages...

I just built a new house. I've got 2 A/V systems in it, one a "normal" living room 5.1 system and one is a 7.1 dedicated theater with a JVC 4810 projector onto a 120" screen. The theater is a "work in progress" and probably won't be finished until sometime in the summertime. I've bought all the gear, but there are lots of acoustic treatments to do to the room first.

I bought two refurbished Oppo 103's last year. One is actually a 103D that was intended for the theater. But since I'm installing the living room system first, I figure I'd put the 103D in there for the time-being, just for the heck of it. I figure I can also noodle out how the Darbee processor tech works with my 55" LG LHX. (Yes, I actually scored one of those 240 zone FALD's, baby - they only made a few hundred of 'em before pulling the plug back in 2010. As my daddy used to say, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now & then.)

Anyway, good as the LHX is (lowest black levels since the famed Pioneer Kuro), perhaps the 103D can make the picture even better! So, here are my questions: Should I put the Oppo "in between" the DVR and the receiver via HDMI, which then sends the video to the TV via HDMI?
Yes, and I'd pass the signal through the Moxi as native, so the Oppo does all of your upscaling. The Moxi boxes have the reputation of not doing the best upscaling. The 103(D) should be much better. So native for the Moxi, then 1080p for the Oppo.

Quote:
Will the Oppo "pass through" the full HDMI signal (video + audio) from the DVR even when it's turned off? If so, then I could leave it off most of the time, but turn it on to process the DVR video (or watch BD's -- I understand it does that too) whenever I felt like it.

I will also hook up the Oppo to the DVR (where the built-in router is) via an ethernet network cable from the DVR -- it's 6-tuner whole-house MOXI system with little satellite boxes (they call them MOXI-mates. Isn't that cute.) That way I can take advantage of the Internet streaming stuff via the Oppo. But I don't know if that ethernet cable is all I need to get the cable TV signal to the A/V receiver or if I still need an HDMI cable going there as well...?
AS Bob noted, there's no way to send the video / audio signal through ethernet from the DVR to the Oppo, it has to be done by HDMI. Also, the Moxi-mates are extenders to the DVR, so they are not going to see the 103D, since the connection only happens through HDMI.

Quote:

I can't find the answers in the Oppo owner's manual, so I thought I'd post here where the smart kids hang out. Thanks smart kids!
I understand you want to use your system without the Oppo involved some times; in my system, the Oppo is always involved. I've found it to be really good with almost any AV activity I do. The only time it's off is when I'm playing vinyl. Otherwise, I got a Logitech Harmony and let it turn things off and on. Of course the important thing is what you prefer for your system, for me it looks / sounds best and is most simple and convenient.
post #6953 of 7499 Old 03-29-2015, 02:47 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Okay, thanks for that explanation. I think I have the answer now. I definitely need a splitter so that I can send the HDMI signal coming out of the DVR to those 3 places: directly to the AVR, to the Oppo, and to the TV's Media Box. All three will then send their respective HDMI output to different HDMI inputs on the AVR. The AVR will then send only one HDMI out, to the TV.

Seems like that will be the most simple approach. The AVR should only "accept" input from one HDMI input at a time, so there should be no CP conflicts, I'm assuming.
Although that is a perfectly reasonable assumption, you might still run into problems. The reason being that modern HDMI devices sometimes leave their NON-selected input sockets "live". For example, to support HDMI CEC (remote control over the HDMI cable).

So the AVR might see HDMI direct from the DVR (via the splitter) on one input, and also see the DVR on the path through the splitter and TV media box on a different input. That's the same source content on two inputs. If the DVR is playing Copy Protected content like HBO, that might fail. This sort of stuff can sometimes be worked around with device settings such as disabling HDMI CEC. Or setting the Media box so it is not listening on that input from the DVR before you select the direct from DVR input in the AVR.

HDMI is an end to end protocol, and every "live" connection in the HDMI path participates in the handshake and copy protection checks. All of this is driven by the source device (the DVR in this example) over the entire path. And alas, cable and satellite boxes are notorious for crufty HDMI implementations that throw up their hands in despair whenever faced with anything complicated.

Sometimes the only thing to do is try it and see if it works with your gear.

An HDMI switch (not splitter) would mean only one device was connected to the DVR at a time.
--Bob

post #6954 of 7499 Old 03-29-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Read the additional paragraph I added after you quoted me. It may be applicable to your needs.
DanF8500, thanks for the tip. I will give it a shot tomorrow.
post #6955 of 7499 Old 03-29-2015, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Anyone else have propblems with Unbroken? Mine just sat forever saying Loading on the lcd display and nothing on the projector showed. Took out the disc and re-inserted....same issue. Pushed the power button and it took about 60 seconds before it shut down. Turned it back on put the disc in again and it worked finally. Every so often after I take a disc out that main menu switches to a funky resolution too. Anyone else had either of these glitches show up? I am on the latest firmware.

Pioneer Elite SC-63 | OPPO BDP-103D | PSA v1500 | SVS PB 12 NSD/v | SVS AS-EQ1 | GR Research A/V-3 | VOLT 10LX Edition (build in progress) | Onix Rocket ELT DPA | Epson 3020 | Dragonfly 120 Screen | APC H15BLK
post #6956 of 7499 Old 03-29-2015, 07:40 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Both of those issues sound like possible HDMI handshake failures. Check/upgrade your HDMI cabling as a first step. For example, unplug and reseat every HDMI plug in the data path, making sure each plug is fully inserted straight into its socket with nothing (e.g., cable weight) tugging it in any direction.

If you are using long HDMI runs, that could be the issue.

Try using 1080i output resolution from the player (and the AVR if video is going through the AVR) with DEEP COLOR Off. If that works, but 1080p or 1080p with Deep Color does not work, that would be evidence of marginal HDMI cabling.

Also, for the issue with just this one disc, try Erasing Persistent Storage (Setup > Device Setup) just in case there is something left in there that's confusing this disc.
--Bob

post #6957 of 7499 Old 03-29-2015, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
^ Both of those issues sound like possible HDMI handshake failures. Check/upgrade your HDMI cabling as a first step. For example, unplug and reseat every HDMI plug in the data path, making sure each plug is fully inserted straight into its socket with nothing (e.g., cable weight) tugging it in any direction.

If you are using long HDMI runs, that could be the issue.

Try using 1080i output resolution from the player (and the AVR if video is going through the AVR) with DEEP COLOR Off. If that works, but 1080p or 1080p with Deep Color does not work, that would be evidence of marginal HDMI cabling.

Also, for the issue with just this one disc, try Erasing Persistent Storage (Setup > Device Setup) just in case there is something left in there that's confusing this disc.
--Bob
Ok I will give some of this a try. Cable run is about 36 feet and I have blue jeans bjc series 1 cable. I will reseat the cables and if I have the issue again try the 1080i test. It does go thru my avr, I have the video processing turned off on that it should be just passthru.

Pioneer Elite SC-63 | OPPO BDP-103D | PSA v1500 | SVS PB 12 NSD/v | SVS AS-EQ1 | GR Research A/V-3 | VOLT 10LX Edition (build in progress) | Onix Rocket ELT DPA | Epson 3020 | Dragonfly 120 Screen | APC H15BLK
post #6958 of 7499 Old 03-30-2015, 04:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Although that is a perfectly reasonable assumption, you might still run into problems. The reason being that modern HDMI devices sometimes leave their NON-selected input sockets "live". For example, to support HDMI CEC (remote control over the HDMI cable).

An HDMI switch (not splitter) would mean only one device was connected to the DVR at a time.
--Bob
When I hooked everything up last night, it was a real mess. I couldn't get the display (TV) to run direct from the DVR without its sidekick, that infernal Media Box. Finally had to give up and re-install the direct connection: DVR to Media Box to TV (so we could at least watch TV). The weird thing is, I can get the TV display to act like a monitor, sans Media Box, if I go directly from the DVR to the TV display. However, if I try to go through the AVR, then the HDMI out to the TV, I get nothing but a message from the display saying it's trying to establish a connection with the Media Box.

It's co-dependency at its worst!

I may have to try Brother Keenan's suggestion of an HDMI switcher to send only one HDMI signal at a time to my very expensive, modern AVR, since the AVR's switcher may in fact be "live" on all its HDMI inputs, as you suggest. Of course, I could be wrong. But it would be nice to be able to use my elaborate 5.1 system the way it was intended, instead of watching TV with the audio run through the TV's tiny speakers and just admiring how nice all my other gear and loudspeakers look sitting there, unused (including the Oppo).

Maybe an optical digital audio connection from the DVR would at least give me 5.1 sound through the AVR and speaker array. But I'd probably lose the ability to do all the AVR setting stuff because that's only possible with an HDMI connection. At this point, I'm kind of baffled.

What a mess.
post #6959 of 7499 Old 03-30-2015, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
I understand you want to use your system without the Oppo involved some times; in my system, the Oppo is always involved. I've found it to be really good with almost any AV activity I do. The only time it's off is when I'm playing vinyl. Otherwise, I got a Logitech Harmony and let it turn things off and on. Of course the important thing is what you prefer for your system, for me it looks / sounds best and is most simple and convenient.
Where is your Oppo in the chain? Do you go DVR out via HDMI to the Oppo's HDMI-in, and then the Oppo out via HDMI to one of your AVR's HDMI inputs, then out to your TV? Do you then turn your TV volume control/internal speakers "off" and allow your AVR to process the audio? I know that probably sounds like a very basic question, but my last receiver was pre-HDMI and my multi-channel audio came from the DVR via optical cable. This all-HDMI world is kinda' new to me.
post #6960 of 7499 Old 03-30-2015, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Interesting. I have the 93, which doesn't have the Neo:6 processing, and what I've done is use a simple pair of RCA Y-adapters (one socket to two plugs) to feed the front left and right mains into both the multichannel input of my pre-HDMI AVR and also into its DVD stereo input. That way, when playing a stereo-only disk (or networked source), I can set the AVR's input selector to DVD and switch off the multichannel input, at which point I have all the AVR's processing options available.

"DTS Neo:6 Music" is my favorite surround matrixer and I use it when a stereo source has good phase-coherence. It's much more natural sounding to me than Dolby ProLogic.

If that sounds muddy, I set the AVR to 6 Channel Stereo - which simply feeds the same signals to the surround pair as to the front speakers. I think of it as "car stereo" or "headphones" mode.

Either way, I have the advantage of the AVR's bass management. (Actually, even the multichannel analog input gets the benefit of that as well as the speaker distance and volume trims - unusual, and I'm very happy that it does. It's an old Yamaha RX-V457.)

I've reserved my AVR's two optical inputs for my high def cable box and my Amazon Fire TV. The Oppo's analog output circuitry is so good that it's my go-to source for the best sound.

Last edited by Philnick; 03-30-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page