Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 233 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #6961 of 6978 Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKIK View Post
That is pretty much what I figured. I too like the original 2-ch source, but it tends to lack a little in the low bass department for me. I have paradigm studio 100's v5, but they don't dig as deep as I'd like. Thanks.
Interesting. I have the 93, which doesn't have the Neo:6 processing, and what I've done is use a simple pair of RCA Y-adapters (one socket to two plugs) to feed the front left and right mains into both the multichannel input of my pre-HDMI AVR and also into its DVD stereo input. That way, when playing a stereo-only disk (or networked source), I can set the AVR's input selector to DVD and switch off the multichannel input, at which point I have all the AVR's processing options available.

"DTS Neo:6 Music" is my favorite surround matrixer and I use it when a stereo source has good phase-coherence. It's much more natural sounding to me than Dolby ProLogic.

If that sounds muddy, I set the AVR to 6 Channel Stereo - which simply feeds the same signals to the surround pair as to the front speakers. I think of it as "car stereo" or "headphones" mode.

Either way, I have the advantage of the AVR's bass management. (Actually, even the multichannel analog input gets the benefit of that as well as the speaker distance and volume trims - unusual, and I'm very happy that it does. It's an old Yamaha RX-V457.)

I've reserved my AVR's two optical inputs for my high def cable box and my Amazon Fire TV. The Oppo's analog output circuitry is so good that it's my go-to source for the best sound.

Last edited by Philnick; Yesterday at 02:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6962 of 6978 Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Where is your Oppo in the chain? Do you go DVR out via HDMI to the Oppo's HDMI-in, and then the Oppo out via HDMI to one of your AVR's HDMI inputs, then out to your TV? Do you then turn your TV volume control/internal speakers "off" and allow your AVR to process the audio? I know that probably sounds like a very basic question, but my last receiver was pre-HDMI and my multi-channel audio came from the DVR via optical cable. This all-HDMI world is kinda' new to me.

Exactly.

DVR HDMI out to Oppo HDMI 1 in,
Oppo HDMI1 out to AVR bluray HDMI in.
AVR HDMI1 out to HDTV HDMI1 in.

I also did the analog connections / direct connect to the TV with a previous non-HDMI receiver. I found no difference between the two, but then I don't have a system optimized for analog.

HDMI is convenient. I got a Logitech One remote which rules it all, so turning things on / off is easy for everyone in the house.
post #6963 of 6978 Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 394
I have my Hopper to the back input, and currently my tivo to the front. Tivo is getting rotated out, so maybe Roku 3 will attach to front. One HDMI to Denon AVR, one HDMI from Denon to TV.

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
Denon 4520CI / Emotiva XPA-3
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
post #6964 of 6978 Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anyone have issues with The Bee movie and John Wick. In the Bee movie the player freezes, then stutters etc. John Wick it froze at part way through chapter 10. Had to turn it off then on for it to work again.
post #6965 of 6978 Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 394
John Wick played fine for me.

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
Denon 4520CI / Emotiva XPA-3
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
post #6966 of 6978 Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 327
No Problem with John Wick either.
post #6967 of 6978 Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Exactly.

DVR HDMI out to Oppo HDMI 1 in,
Oppo HDMI1 out to AVR bluray HDMI in.
AVR HDMI1 out to HDTV HDMI1 in.

I also did the analog connections / direct connect to the TV with a previous non-HDMI receiver. I found no difference between the two, but then I don't have a system optimized for analog.

HDMI is convenient. I got a Logitech One remote which rules it all, so turning things on / off is easy for everyone in the house.
Does the Oppo have to be "on" for the signal to pass through to the AVR, or will it pass through in the "off/standby" state?
post #6968 of 6978 Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 236
^ Oppo player has to be "on".
post #6969 of 6978 Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Thanks Jimbo, but I think I need just the opposite. That Kinovo HDMI switch takes multiple inputs into one output. What I really need is a switch (splitter?) with one input and multiple outputs. Now that I think about it, I really just need one input - from the little "Moxi-mate" STB. But I need 3 outputs from that device:

1) directly to the AVR, then on to the TV.
2) to the Oppo, then on to the AVR (in case I want the Oppo to process the DVR signal).
2) to the "Media Box" for the TV. The LG-LHX television has the tuner and volume controls not in the display itself (it's just a monitor) but in a separate box that sends a wireless signal to the TV (the idea was that it could then be placed anywhere in the room, no cable) or with a straight HDMI connection (what I use).

The TV's Media Box has a noisy fan that runs constantly as long as the box is plugged in, so unless I want to listen to the TV through it's own speakers, I'll by-pass the Media Box with an HDMI connection directly to the AVR (#1, above). There may be occasions when, for some reason, I'll still want to use the media box (that's also where all the TV's setup and picture controls are) so I still need to have that option.
Sounds like you want a HDMI distribution amp. I have had very good success with Gefen 1:10 HDMI 1.3 distribution amp. This unit has 1 HDMI input and 10 HDMI outputs all mirroring the same signal from the input. I feed TVs throughout my home with this unit. If you want multiple HDMI inputs to Multiple HDMI outputs, and want to chose from any input to any output, then you want HDMI Matrix switch, which is more expensive. I tried one from Octava, but it did not work well for me. The Gefen has built in signal amplification which is better for long HDMI runs. The Octava could not sync all units for me on long runs. Gefen is not the only manufacturer out there either. But a HDMI distribution amp is what I use for this. Also you can get the Gefen and other mfg units in different configs, such as 1 in and 5 out, if you don't need that many outputs. Lower number of outputs, the lower the price.
post #6970 of 6978 Old Today, 05:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I can report that most of my problems here had to do with a defective AVR. The Marantz SR6007 I bought refurbished a year and a half ago has no working audio section. No HDMI audio, no digital audio, no analog audio, nothing. No sound, period. I've bought a lot of refurb'd gear, never had a problem. In fact, because they supposedly have been bench tested before they're shipped back out, I've always felt confident they would work right out of the box. Can't even say that for new products.

Both my Oppo's (103 & 103D) are refurbs and they work fine. But clearly, this SR6007 was never bench tested and now Marantz wants to use the expired refurb warranty to weasel out of any responsibility to stand behind their product. Even though I just took it out of the box a couple of days ago. I can say with confidence that this is the last Marantz product I will ever buy.

I replaced the Marantz with a refurb'd Denon x4000 that had been slated for the dedicated Theater Room (which is a couple of months away from being finished -- have to acoustically treat the walls first). And it works great, just the way it's supposed to. So I think the answer is to get a small 1:2 or 1:3 HDMI splitter so I can send HDMI out of the DVR directly to the AVR as well as the Oppo. The LHX Media Box can be removed from the chain unless I want to tweak its picture settings or use the TV tuner for OTA broadcasts (unlikely since I'm like Rob Lowe's doppelgangers and "have cable").

So thanks to all who tried to help me here! I'll probably be back with some specific Oppo based questions once I get into it. I'll put the 103D into the Living Room chain just to play around with the Darbee settings and see if it can improve the already stellar picture on my LHX. Then, when I finish the Theater Room, I'll swap it out with the 103 and the 103D will go in there to help the projector image, as per the original plan.
post #6971 of 6978 Old Today, 05:48 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
But clearly, this SR6007 was never bench tested and now Marantz wants to use the expired refurb warranty to weasel out of any responsibility to stand behind their product. Even though I just took it out of the box a couple of days ago. I can say with confidence that this is the last Marantz product I will ever buy.
While I certainly sympathize with the situation, that's the risk that one takes in not testing a purchased item right away to make sure everything is ok. The Marantz rep has no way to confirm that you just took it out of the box a few days ago and if you never used it for a year, it's not their responsibility to extend the warranty. If you paid by credit card, many cards will add an extra year to the warranty, so it may be worth looking into.

Quote:
I replaced the Marantz with a refurb'd Denon x4000
You do realize that Marantz and Denon are different divisions of the same company, right? Of course, I suspect it's safe to assume that you had already purchased the Denon at around the same time.
post #6972 of 6978 Old Today, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
While I certainly sympathize with the situation, that's the risk that one takes in not testing a purchased item right away to make sure everything is ok. The Marantz rep has no way to confirm that you just took it out of the box a few days ago and if you never used it for a year, it's not their responsibility to extend the warranty. If you paid by credit card, many cards will add an extra year to the warranty, so it may be worth looking into.

You do realize that Marantz and Denon are different divisions of the same company, right? Of course, I suspect it's safe to assume that you had already purchased the Denon at around the same time.
I wasn't aware of the connection between the two companies, but I did notice how similar the two receivers were, the setup menus were identical, etc. The difference was the refurb Denon works, the refurb Marantz doesn't.

I guess no, they are under no obligation. But the contract states that I was to get a refurbished unit in working condition, bench tested to affirm it was in good working order. This was not the case; this unit wasn't tested or it would have taken them 5 minutes to figure out the audio output section was non-functional. Marantz rightly should blame the subcontractor who does their refurbishing (I'm guessing they don't do it in-house), but they also rightly should extend the warranty in this case or at least pay for part of the repairs. You'd think customer goodwill alone would make that a smart business move. Especially since I just bought two (2) of their parent company's very expensive products. You'd think.
post #6973 of 6978 Unread Today, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 219
^ The unit could have also been damaged in shipping.
I had that happen once in a situation almost identical... the unit was a refurb... I went to plug it in and half the unit didn't work.
I took the cover off and saw one of the boards inside was literally broken in half.
My best guess is it was probably tossed a little too hard off of a shipping dock and landed just right that the impact snapped it,
because otherwise the packaging wasn't severely damaged or anything.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #6974 of 6978 Unread Today, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ The unit could have also been damaged in shipping.
I had that happen once in a situation almost identical... the unit was a refurb... I went to plug it in and half the unit didn't work.
I took the cover off and saw one of the boards inside was literally broken in half.
My best guess is it was probably tossed a little too hard off of a shipping dock and landed just right that the impact snapped it,
because otherwise the packaging wasn't severely damaged or anything.
I guess it's possible, although the box was in good condition, and the larger box that box came in was also intact. In contrast, I just ordered a cylindrical sub from SVS and the box was almost broken in half. But the speaker inside looked just fine. Probably be a couple of months before I'll be able to hook it up and find out for sure.

In any event, that Marantz didn't work from the moment I took it out of the box, which was only two days ago. And I paid for a working unit that had been bench-tested. Marantz should honor the warranty IMO. A good solid company concerned about its reputation would.
post #6975 of 6978 Unread Today, 10:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 628
And you tried resetting the microprocessor a few times?
post #6976 of 6978 Unread Today, 11:15 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
I guess it's possible, although the box was in good condition, and the larger box that box came in was also intact. In contrast, I just ordered a cylindrical sub from SVS and the box was almost broken in half. But the speaker inside looked just fine. Probably be a couple of months before I'll be able to hook it up and find out for sure.
Given your experience with Marantz, don't you think it would be a good idea to hook it up to your Denon receiver for a few minutes and make sure that it works? If it doesn't and the box was in bad shape, there's a pretty short window for a damage claim with most shipping carriers that SVS would want to be able to exercise even if they gave you a refund or shipped you a replacement. So I would strongly suggest hooking it up to your receiver, make sure it works ok, and then pack it away until you're ready to set it up in it's permanent location.

Quote:
In any event, that Marantz didn't work from the moment I took it out of the box, which was only two days ago. And I paid for a working unit that had been bench-tested. Marantz should honor the warranty IMO. A good solid company concerned about its reputation would.
There would obviously be no harm in them giving you a good will extension of the warranty, but there's definitely some significant amount of possibility on you as the buyer to open and make sure the product works within a reasonable time and it's not reasonable to wait until after the warranty expires.

And believe me, I sympathize with dealing with a damaged product. I recently purchased a used pair of Revel Studio 2's from a seller on Audiogon listed as 10/10 and 4 months old. It took him over a week to get them shipped after I paid and he didn't put the foam blocks around the base of one of the speakers. That speaker arrived in pretty rough shape (the base was badly cracked and there was additional cosmetic damage). The seller then informed me that he didn't have the money to send me a refund because he already spent it. It took me close to a month to go through the claim process and finally get my money back from PayPal (I just got the refund today). That was $8k tied up the entire time.
DanF8500 likes this.
post #6977 of 6978 Unread Today, 11:16 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
And you tried resetting the microprocessor a few times?
That's definitely good advice for a Denon or Marantz AVR. But further discussion specific to the receiver should be moved over to the appropriate thread for the AVR.
post #6978 of 6978 Unread Today, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 236
I've never heard of anyone buying a product, whether it be new or refurbed, and not opening the box for over a year to see if the product functions! WOW! This is something entirely foreign to me....I usually can't wait to open up my package and try out my new audio component as soon as I receive it. And now you're going to wait 2 months before trying out another audio component you purchased? If you have to wait that long before opening up the box or testing the component for damage, it seems to me that you really don't need the component, and you just like to purchase refurbed equipment because of the cost savings.

Last edited by DanF8500; Today at 11:32 AM.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page