Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 238 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #7111 of 7208 Old 04-13-2015, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
However I don't think the Darbee processing is available on the HDMI-2 output.

Can confirm this is true...Had the TV set up via the second output and was wondering why I couldnt see any difference with Darbee on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7112 of 7208 Old 04-13-2015, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am disappointed to report less than satisfactory tech support from Oppo regarding their MediaControl App for iOS. I was asked to unplug my machine, and to try a different DLNA renderer. This is a joke. Do I have to troubleshoot their code to get my system working? Not happy.
post #7113 of 7208 Old 04-14-2015, 04:17 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Niles Crane View Post
I am disappointed to report less than satisfactory tech support from Oppo regarding their MediaControl App for iOS. I was asked to unplug my machine, and to try a different DLNA renderer. This is a joke. Do I have to troubleshoot their code to get my system working? Not happy.
If they can't replicate your error, how are they supposed to help you without gathering diagnostics?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #7114 of 7208 Old 04-14-2015, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 0
dave, thanks again for your very helpful response!

Ok, so since you realize what compromises you would be making, you may do quite well using the player without the DVDO.
Since you don't actually own the DVDO yet, it's pretty easy to say you can just buy the Oppo and try it out. Based on your last comments I think you'll probably like using it that way. YOu can always add a separate processor to it later if you think you need it.

yes, the more i thought about it the more i came to the conclusion that the 103d will probably meet my specific needs even tho a dedicated processor such as the vp50 offers considerably more fine tuning options as well as more input/output configuration options. of course the valuable input offered by you and others in this thread coupled with the pm responses i received swayed me as well. i ordered the the 103d an hour ago.

As for using it daily as a music streamer, I think you'd do quite well in that area too. The Oppo players a pretty high quality hardware, and they also come with a full 2 yr warranty standard, and they also offer extended warranties as well. Lots of people use the players for many different features on a daily basis, and pre-mature failure as a result is pretty rare, and if it does, you have the warranty to fall back on. Even Oppo's out of warranty repair costs aren't what you would call expensive. So, if it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to use it daily for whatever I might need.

this is very helpful given it was one of my greatest concerns, whether or not the 103d would be up for hours of daily use. and oppo's 2-year warranty instills even more confidence.

As mentioned by another, the player does have 2 hdmi outputs. However I don't think the Darbee processing is available on the HDMI-2 output. So if you can live without Darbee on one display, then you wouldn't need the hdmi switch, but if you want Darbee on both, you will need that switch.

yes, i was aware of this from the manual, and why i mentioned i would be using an hdmi switch/splitter. that said, i'm wondering if you might weigh in on the following question: if i use the split a/v setting it's my understanding that hdmi-1 out will not have audio, instead the audio will be sent via the hdmi-2 out. if this is the case, and assuming this is the setup, i.e. hdmi-1 for video and hdmi-2 for audio with split a/v enabled, can the 103d also, simultaneously, send audio out via one of it's spdif outputs? this would allow me to connect the hdmi-2 out to my dac/sound processor and the spdif to my tv, which would in turn allow me to hear audio from my tv in the event i wanted to listen to another source connected to my dac / sound processor.

post #7115 of 7208 Old 04-14-2015, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
yes, i was aware of this from the manual, and why i mentioned i would be using an hdmi switch/splitter. that said, i'm wondering if you might weigh in on the following question: if i use the split a/v setting it's my understanding that hdmi-1 out will not have audio, instead the audio will be sent via the hdmi-2 out. if this is the case, and assuming this is the setup, i.e. hdmi-1 for video and hdmi-2 for audio with split a/v enabled, can the 103d also, simultaneously, send audio out via one of it's spdif outputs? this would allow me to connect the hdmi-2 out to my dac/sound processor and the spdif to my tv, which would in turn allow me to hear audio from my tv in the event i wanted to listen to another source connected to my dac / sound processor.
With the Oppo players, all audio outputs are active simultaneously 24/7.
Including HDMI, SPDIF, and analog too.
So yes, you can use the HDMI output to one device and the SPDIF output to another device.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #7116 of 7208 Old 04-14-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
With the Oppo players, all audio outputs are active simultaneously 24/7. Including HDMI, SPDIF, and analog too. So yes, you can use the HDMI output to one device and the SPDIF output to another device.
to be clear tho, audio is not simultaneously active via hdmi-1 when hdmi-2 is in use and split a/v is enabled, correct? that aside, if the spdif outputs are a different story and indeed simultaneously active, i'm golden. the 103d is a pretty darn versatile machine, eh?
post #7117 of 7208 Old 04-14-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
With the Oppo players, all audio outputs are active simultaneously 24/7. Including HDMI, SPDIF, and analog too. So yes, you can use the HDMI output to one device and the SPDIF output to another device.
oppo's response, almost verbatim compared to yours:

Robert,

All of our players support this functionality as all outputs are live at the same time. So you can use HDMI for video and optical or digital coaxial to a receiver for audio at the same time.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119
post #7118 of 7208 Old 04-14-2015, 02:57 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
to be clear tho, audio is not simultaneously active via hdmi-1 when hdmi-2 is in use and split a/v is enabled, correct?
Yes, that's correct.
post #7119 of 7208 Old 04-14-2015, 04:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 147
One question, folks:
I love the Darbee effect. Used judiciously I love the apparent increase is detail for Blu-ray. My question is: are the Oppo picture controls available for streaming services like Netflix?

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #7120 of 7208 Old 04-14-2015, 06:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 226
^ Yes. All of the picture settings also apply to the built in apps including Netflix.
You can't actually change the settings while an app is in use, but you can adjust the settings where you want them
and then when an app is in use, those settings will be used for the video output, just like it does with BD.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #7121 of 7208 Old 04-14-2015, 10:23 PM

semi-quick question: in order to simultaneously send the highest quality audio to my display (using the 103d's hdmi-1 output) and sdp/dac (using the 103d's hdmi-2 output) i can set the 103d to dual hdmi output rather than split a/v which strips audio from hdmi-1? and from there set the 103d's digital hdmi audio output format to bitstream? since my sdp/dac doesn't accept hdmi my plan would be to channel the hdmi-2 out from the 103d through a hdmi de-embedder/extractor, and from there to my sdp/dac via spdif. in this manner, if i understand it correctly, i can avoid the bandwidth limitations of the spdif out from the 103d to my sdp/dac. i'm also assuming, hopefully correctly, that the 103d won't be looking for a video handshake from the hdmi-2 out in order to work, in order to successfully pass audio, given i won't be connecting the hdmi to a video input. i'll only be using the stripped hdmi audio into my sdp/dac. lastly, given the video output setting i will be using for the 103d will be 1080p, audio quality won't be proportionately capped as it would using a lower output resolution setting, do have this right?
post #7122 of 7208 Old 04-15-2015, 04:17 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
semi-quick question: in order to simultaneously send the highest quality audio to my display (using the 103d's hdmi-1 output) and sdp/dac (using the 103d's hdmi-2 output) i can set the 103d to dual hdmi output rather than split a/v which strips audio from hdmi-1? and from there set the 103d's digital hdmi audio output format to bitstream? since my sdp/dac doesn't accept hdmi my plan would be to channel the hdmi-2 out from the 103d through a hdmi de-embedder/extractor, and from there to my sdp/dac via spdif. in this manner, if i understand it correctly, i can avoid the bandwidth limitations of the spdif out from the 103d to my sdp/dac. i'm also assuming, hopefully correctly, that the 103d won't be looking for a video handshake from the hdmi-2 out in order to work, in order to successfully pass audio, given i won't be connecting the hdmi to a video input. i'll only be using the stripped hdmi audio into my sdp/dac. lastly, given the video output setting i will be using for the 103d will be 1080p, audio quality won't be proportionately capped as it would using a lower output resolution setting, do have this right?
When using dual HDMI output, the audio you get will be the lowest common denominator from the HDMI handshakes between the 2 connected devices, so what you're proposing won't work very well. At best, your display might be able to accept 2 channel LPCM (but not at a high bitrate) or lossy Dolby Digital or DTS, but it's extremely unlikely that it will accept anything better.

Further, in order to carry audio, HDMI HAS to have a video signal present even if it's just a "blank" screen (such as a solid black background) because audio is transmitted along with the video signal. If there's no video signal, you can't get audio either.
post #7123 of 7208 Old 04-15-2015, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr
When using dual HDMI output, the audio you get will be the lowest common denominator from the HDMI handshakes between the 2 connected devices, so what you're proposing won't work very well. At best, your display might be able to accept 2 channel LPCM (but not at a high bitrate) or lossy Dolby Digital or DTS, but it's extremely unlikely that it will accept anything better.
i thought the lowest common denominator was determined by the 103d's video resolution output setting (bandwidth), which in my case will be 1080p, not the display's audio handling capabilities? per the 103d manual:

If you use HDMI to connect audio to an HDMI A/V receiver or audio processor, it is important that you choose 720p or higher HDMI output resolution when playing high resolution audio content (DVD-Audio, SACD, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio). According to the HDMI specification, the bandwidth available for audio is proportional to the total bandwidth used by video. At 480p/576p resolution, the HDMI specification can only support 2 channels of audio with high sample rate (up to 192kHz), or 8 channels of audio with standard sample rate (up to 48kHz). If you play high resolution audio content at the 480p/576p resolution, you may get reduced audio resolution, incomplete audio channels, or even no audio/video output at all. Choosing a higher output resolution such as 720p or above allows enough bandwidth for all high sample rate audio channels.

am i misreading this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr
Further, in order to carry audio, HDMI HAS to have a video signal present even if it's just a "blank" screen (such as a solid black background) because audio is transmitted along with the video signal. If there's no video signal, you can't get audio either.
would this apply if using an hdmi de-embedder/extractor? the unit i intend to use is j-tech digital's "premium quality 1080p hdmi to hdmi + audio (spdif + rca stereo) audio extractor converter" available on amazon. according to answers from owners who have responded to questions regarding this device, extracted hdmi audio can be processed and played without the stripped hdmi video connected to an active display. here are some of the q&a:

Q: Does this device require a sink HDMI device (e.g. a Monitor or TV) to be connected for the audio extraction to work or can I have an audio only setup?
A: You could have audio only. I have all the sound coming out of a stand alone theater style 7.1 receiver

Q: Will this device continue to play SPDIF audio from a Roku/AppleTv if the TV is off? A: It works without having a TV hooked up at all. I have a Chromecast plugged into mine with the spdif going to my stereo, just for playing music from Google Play Music and it works fine.

http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital..._cd_ql_qh_dp_t

Last edited by aeneas01; 04-15-2015 at 05:26 AM.
post #7124 of 7208 Old 04-15-2015, 05:51 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
i thought the lowest common denominator was determined by the 103d's video resolution output setting (bandwidth), which in my case will be 1080p, not the display's audio handling capabilities? per the 103d manual:

If you use HDMI to connect audio to an HDMI A/V receiver or audio processor, it is important that you choose 720p or higher HDMI output resolution when playing high resolution audio content (DVD-Audio, SACD, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio). According to the HDMI specification, the bandwidth available for audio is proportional to the total bandwidth used by video. At 480p/576p resolution, the HDMI specification can only support 2 channels of audio with high sample rate (up to 192kHz), or 8 channels of audio with standard sample rate (up to 48kHz). If you play high resolution audio content at the 480p/576p resolution, you may get reduced audio resolution, incomplete audio channels, or even no audio/video output at all. Choosing a higher output resolution such as 720p or above allows enough bandwidth for all high sample rate audio channels.

am i misreading this?
You aren't misreading, but there's more to it than that. The HDMI handshakes negotiate a lot of things, including the video format AND the audio capabilities of the device(s) the signal is going to. The end result of the handshakes is that you can't send a better audio format than ALL devices that participated in the handshake are capable of handling. So if the TV can only handle 2 channel LPCM at 48khz/16 bit, it doesn't matter what the other device can handle because the TV is going to be the limiting factor.

Quote:
would this apply if using an hdmi de-embedder/extractor? the unit i intend to use is j-tech digital's "premium quality 1080p hdmi to hdmi + audio (spdif + rca stereo) audio extractor converter" available on amazon. according to answers from owners who have responded to questions regarding this device, extracted hdmi audio can be processed and played without the stripped hdmi video connected to an active display. here are some of the q&a:

Q: Does this device require a sink HDMI device (e.g. a Monitor or TV) to be connected for the audio extraction to work or can I have an audio only setup?
A: You could have audio only. I have all the sound coming out of a stand alone theater style 7.1 receiver

Q: Will this device continue to play SPDIF audio from a Roku/AppleTv if the TV is off? A: It works without having a TV hooked up at all. I have a Chromecast plugged into mine with the spdif going to my stereo, just for playing music from Google Play Music and it works fine.

http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital..._cd_ql_qh_dp_t
Audio isn't possible over HDMI without a video signal of some sort, even if the video signal ultimately doesn't get displayed. Even if it's just a solid black background, there must absolutely be video in order to send audio. The requirement to have 720p or better to get the better audio formats is kind of a hint there and the reason for it is with lower resolutions, there isn't enough bandwidth to mix in the better audio formats along with the video signal.
post #7125 of 7208 Old 04-15-2015, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
You aren't misreading, but there's more to it than that. The HDMI handshakes negotiate a lot of things, including the video format AND the audio capabilities of the device(s) the signal is going to. The end result of the handshakes is that you can't send a better audio format than ALL devices that participated in the handshake are capable of handling. So if the TV can only handle 2 channel LPCM at 48khz/16 bit, it doesn't matter what the other device can handle because the TV is going to be the limiting factor.

Audio isn't possible over HDMI without a video signal of some sort, even if the video signal ultimately doesn't get displayed. Even if it's just a solid black background, there must absolutely be video in order to send audio. The requirement to have 720p or better to get the better audio formats is kind of a hint there and the reason for it is with lower resolutions, there isn't enough bandwidth to mix in the better audio formats along with the video signal.
very helpful info gsr, thanks very much. so how do you think the hdmi extractor owners i linked to are getting audio without connecting the hdmi output of their extractors to a display or connecting it to a display that is turned off? could it be that at one time they had the extractor connected to an active display and the extractor retained the edid info, allowing them to play audio without a connection? whatever the case, if it won't work without an active display it's not a deal breaker for me given, i'm assuming, i could just a) run analog audio out from the 103d's fl/fr analog audio outputs to my display (my display offers an hdmi input that allows analog audio input as well) and b) set the 103d to split a/v and run the 103d's hdmi-2 output to my spdif/dac?
post #7126 of 7208 Old 04-15-2015, 06:44 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
very helpful info gsr, thanks very much. so how do you think the hdmi extractor owners i linked to are getting audio without connecting the hdmi output of their extractors to a display or connecting it to a display that is turned off? could it be that at one time they had the extractor connected to an active display and the extractor retained the edid info, allowing them to play audio without a connection? whatever the case, if it won't work without an active display it's not a deal breaker for me given, i'm assuming,
With no display connected or the display turned off, you probably wouldn't have a problem because the Oppo would just see the HDMI audio extractor connected to HDMI2. You would only run into problems when the display is turned on and if you have the Oppo set to Dual Display for the reasons I mentioned above.

Quote:
i could just a) run analog audio out from the 103d's fl/fr analog audio outputs to my display (my display offers an hdmi input that allows analog audio input as well) and b) set the 103d to split a/v and run the 103d's hdmi-2 output to my spdif/dac?
Either of these options should work just fine.
post #7127 of 7208 Old 04-15-2015, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
very helpful info gsr, thanks very much. so how do you think the hdmi extractor owners i linked to are getting audio without connecting the hdmi output of their extractors to a display or connecting it to a display that is turned off? could it be that at one time they had the extractor connected to an active display and the extractor retained the edid info, allowing them to play audio without a connection? whatever the case, if it won't work without an active display it's not a deal breaker for me given, i'm assuming, i could just a) run analog audio out from the 103d's fl/fr analog audio outputs to my display (my display offers an hdmi input that allows analog audio input as well) and b) set the 103d to split a/v and run the 103d's hdmi-2 output to my spdif/dac?
Seems like that extractor is an HDMI sink device. The protocol is the same, you have to process the video and the audio information, since that is dictated by the spec.

I assume this extractor throws away the video data after processing it, and only outputs the audio information once it's encoded in the right format for the spdif connection.

Is there a reason not to use the spdif output from the 103D directly to your DAC or AVR? If you involve spdif anywhere, you won't be able to use the lossless formats anyways, so why not skip the hassle and go directly there.
post #7128 of 7208 Old 04-15-2015, 06:50 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Is there a reason not to use the spdif output from the 103D directly to your DAC or AVR? If you involve spdif anywhere, you won't be able to use the lossless formats anyways, so why not skip the hassle and go directly there.
Some of the extractors allow better audio formats to pass via SPDIF by ignoring some of the licensing restrictions. Some of the SPDIF restrictions are licensing issues rather than technical limitations...
post #7129 of 7208 Old 04-15-2015, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Some of the extractors allow better audio formats to pass via SPDIF by ignoring some of the licensing restrictions. Some of the SPDIF restrictions are licensing issues rather than technical limitations...
Ah... I did know that these are licensing issues, did not know that some devices sidestep it. So no licensing limitations on the input (AVR, etc) side?
post #7130 of 7208 Old 04-15-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
i thought the same but after reading the following article it appeared that hdmi over spdif was the way to go:

http://everythingaudionetwork.blogsp...-embedder.html
post #7131 of 7208 Old 04-15-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr
With no display connected or the display turned off, you probably wouldn't have a problem because the Oppo would just see the HDMI audio extractor connected to HDMI2.
i'm confused gsr, are you now saying that audio is possible using the extractor without a video connection, i.e. without a display connected or without a display turned on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr
Audio isn't possible over HDMI without a video signal of some sort, even if the video signal ultimately doesn't get displayed. Even if it's just a solid black background, there must absolutely be video in order to send audio.
also, re the lowest common denominator, how would one be able to output high quality audio to an av receiver from the 103d's hdmi-2 output (with hdmi set to dual) if the 103d's hdmi-1 output is connected to a display? are there many displays (tvs or projectors) that accept high quality audio output, thus raising the common denominator bar?
post #7132 of 7208 Old 04-15-2015, 08:35 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
i'm confused gsr, are you now saying that audio is possible using the extractor without a video connection, i.e. without a display connected or without a display turned on?
Of course. HDMI doesn't ~require~ that you display the video on a display. But it requires a video ~signal~ on the wire in order to do anything useful, such as send audio.

Quote:
also, re the lowest common denominator, how would one be able to output high quality audio to an av receiver from the 103d's hdmi-2 output (with hdmi set to dual) if the 103d's hdmi-1 output is connected to a display?
That's what the split A/V mode is for. In that mode, HDMI1 gets no audio, so the audio portion of the handshake on HDMI1 is ignored when figuring out what audio formats can be sent out of HDMI2.

Quote:
are there many displays (tvs or projectors) that accept high quality audio output, thus raising the common denominator bar?
AFAIK, there are none that support all of the high quality audio formats.
post #7133 of 7208 Old 04-15-2015, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
also, re the lowest common denominator, how would one be able to output high quality audio to an av receiver from the 103d's hdmi-2 output (with hdmi set to dual) if the 103d's hdmi-1 output is connected to a display? are there many displays (tvs or projectors) that accept high quality audio output, thus raising the common denominator bar?
The video and sound data are interleaved in the data stream, so whatever data is sent will be comprised of video and audio. The type of data that can be accommodated is limited by the HDMI bandwidth used.

HDMI Data representation - audio mixed in with the Red Green Blue signals:

As you've seen in documentation, at least 720p is needed for the more complex audio to be transmitted.

The display, if the interface is compliant, can accept all of the data being transferred, it's like a loading dock - they'll take anything in, but if there's no internal decoder to convert that to usable sound, it will either be converted by the display into usable stereo sound or will be dropped on the floor and unused.

No display that I know of can interpret TrueHD or DTS-HD-MA encoded audio. Yet my AVR, which takes the signal in from my 103D will happily do the translation and play the sound over my speakers then pass the signal along to my 1080p display, which has stereo speakers.

If I turned up the sound on my TV (I have it disabled), I would hear stereo sound from it.
post #7134 of 7208 Old 04-15-2015, 10:25 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
The HDMI handshake is intended to prevent the situation where a signal is sent that can't be handled.

In the case of HDMI to a TV, if the TV says during the handshake that it can't accept the audio format, then the audio must either be muted or converted into a format the TV *CAN* accept.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #7135 of 7208 Old 04-15-2015, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The HDMI handshake is intended to prevent the situation where a signal is sent that can't be handled.

In the case of HDMI to a TV, if the TV says during the handshake that it can't accept the audio format, then the audio must either be muted or converted into a format the TV *CAN* accept.
--Bob
Ah... so a direct connection can't be downmixed by a TV. makes sense - thanks Bob.
post #7136 of 7208 Old 04-15-2015, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

--Bob
Well, my fios dvr passes DD5.1 audio broadcasts to my Samsung tv via hdmi, but the tv's optical out can take that hdmi signal the tv received and send out DD5.1 via the optical out. A person on one of the Samsung forums figured out how to bypass the tv's HDCP from a motorola brand fios dvr unit. Works great!!
post #7137 of 7208 Old 04-15-2015, 03:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
^ If you think about it, it makes perfectly good sense for the TV to accept DD 5.1 input on HDMI since the TV already needs to have a DD 5.1 decoder for handling that when it comes in via off the air broadcasts. Now the TV may very well do nothing more with that DD 5.1 Bitstream than decode and down-mix to Stereo for its built in speakers, but it will still accept it.

Other TVs evidently implement their DD 5.1 decoding in separate hardware from what's handling HDMI input. So for HDMI they only accept Stereo audio input.

If the TV accepts DD 5.1, then that's what the player will send (e.g., the "compatibility track") when the content is TrueHD 2.0 5.1, or 7.1

Then there's DTS. It is quite possible the TV won't accept DTS, which also means no support for DTS-HD MA. In such cases, the player can only send Stereo LPCM.

Split A/V mode is intended for use where HDMI 1 goes to a TV and HDMI 2 goes to an AVR. To allow the best quality audio to be sent to the AVR the audio is muted on HDMI 1 so that the handshake with the TV does not get in the way of that choice.

Dual Display mode on the other hand uses a single audio format that BOTH the HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 connected devices will accept. In a case such as I just mentioned where the TV will only accept a Stereo LPCM down-mix from DTS content tracks, then both HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 get LPCM 2.0 audio.

NOTE: If only one of HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 output are "live", then the live output gets best quality audio (according to what the device at the other end can accept) regardless, and the Split A/V vs. Dual Display setting is ignored. That setting only takes effect when BOTH HDMI outputs are "live".
--Bob
rlb likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #7138 of 7208 Old 04-15-2015, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I'm trying to figure out whether to get the 103 or 103D. I'm running a 7.2.4 system. Below is my whole system:

Projector: Sony HW-40ES
Receiver: Denon 5200
Amplifier: Emotiva-XPA 2
Screen: 150' Horizon Falcon Screen
Right and Left Front in Wall: Polk 265 LS
Center in Wall: Polk Audio 255 LS
Side Surround in-ceiling: 2 Polk Audio 80 F/X LS
Rear Surround in-ceiling: 2 Polk Audio 80 F/X LS
Dolby Atmos in-ceiling: 4 Polk Audio 700 LS
Subwoofers: 2 HSU VTF-15H MK II
Power Conditioner: Panamax M-5400

Would it be worth it to get the 103D? I'm mainly going to use it for playing blu-ray. I will have a cable box too. Haven't decided yet if I'll run it through the blu-ray player or straight to the receiver. Would the 103D be worth it for my system.

Thanks in advance
post #7139 of 7208 Old 04-15-2015, 10:35 PM

fyi, here's the response i received from oppo tech support...

Quote:
4:16 PM (6 hours ago)
To: Robert
RE: Message From Robert Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Robert,

Yes, you can connect the player with HDMI 2 to a de-embedder that will take the signal and convert it to digital coaxial or optical at high resolution. Just change HDMI Audio from AUTO to LPCM under Audio Format Setup.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

-------------------

Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2015
To: OPPO Service
Subject: Message From Robert
Message from Contact Us Web Page

Name: Robert
Preferred Contact Method: E-Mail
Category: Technical Support
Order Number: 103D

thank you,

robert
post #7140 of 7208 Old 04-16-2015, 03:56 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
fyi, here's the response i received from oppo tech support...
Oppo's response was simply confirming that you can use the de-embedder, which is true.

But as several of us already told you (a few of us are beta testers for Oppo and some of the others have a lot of experience using Oppo products), using the dual display option will dumb down the audio format you get out of HDMI2 to the audio modes supported by your display. Yes, you can use the de-embedder on HDMI2, but you won't get the best audio formats unless you setup the Oppo for split A/V mode. Regarding handshakes, there will still be a handshake even if you aren't actually displaying the video that comes out of HDMI2.

I guess the obvious question that comes to mind is why do you want audio to get to your display if you're sending it to your AVR via the de-embedder?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page