Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 239 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #7141 of 7155 Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Oppo's response was simply confirming that you can use the de-embedder, which is true.

But as several of us already told you (a few of us are beta testers for Oppo and some of the others have a lot of experience using Oppo products), using the dual display option will dumb down the audio format you get out of HDMI2 to the audio modes supported by your display. Yes, you can use the de-embedder on HDMI2, but you won't get the best audio formats unless you setup the Oppo for split A/V mode. Regarding handshakes, there will still be a handshake even if you aren't actually displaying the video that comes out of HDMI2.

I guess the obvious question that comes to mind is why do you want audio to get to your display if you're sending it to your AVR via the de-embedder?
yes, in their response oppo was assuming i would be using spit a/v with the de-embedder for hi-res audio... question tho, why would oppo recommend lpcm rather than bitstream? re why would i want audio from my display if i'll also be sending it to my avr via de-embedder? i'll be using the oppo in a business environment where at times i'll need to use the display for close proximity viewing and listening while simultaneously playing the highest res possible licensed music from a different source through my avr via de-embedder to a multi-speaker system, it's not important that display audio is anything special in this sitch, just audible. here's what i'm thinking:

anyway, thanks very much for your help, it's greatly appreciated!

Last edited by aeneas01; Yesterday at 10:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7142 of 7155 Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM

btw oppo just responded to why lpcm and not bitstream:

Quote:
The de-embedder can't decode Dolby Digital and DTS, and their high resolution counter parts, so the player needs to convert these to PCM for the de-embedder.
post #7143 of 7155 Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
yes, in their response oppo was assuming i would be using spit a/v with the de-embedder for hi-res audio... question tho, why would oppo recommend lpcm rather than bitstream?
As Oppo answered, the de-embedders can't typically decode the DD and DTS formats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
re why would i want audio from my display if i'll also be sending it to my avr via de-embedder? i'll be using the oppo in a business environment where at times i'll need to use the display for close proximity viewing and listening while simultaneously playing the highest res possible licensed music from a different source through my avr via de-embedder to a multi-speaker system, it's not important that display audio is anything special in this sitch, just audible. here's what i'm thinking:
The problem is that the Oppo can only output 1 audio format via the HDMI outputs at any given time, hence all the posts regarding that above... So if you insist on using the Dual Display mode, both ports will only get the best audio format your display will support. The only potential way around this is probably to replace the AVR you're using with something newer that can accept HDMI and then pass downmixed audio to the display. You would then only need to use 1 of the Oppo's HDMI outputs.
post #7144 of 7155 Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
The problem is that the Oppo can only output 1 audio format via the HDMI outputs at any given time, hence all the posts regarding that above... So if you insist on using the Dual Display mode, both ports will only get the best audio format your display will support. The only potential way around this is probably to replace the AVR you're using with something newer that can accept HDMI and then pass downmixed audio to the display. You would then only need to use 1 of the Oppo's HDMI outputs.
or if i want display audio + high res audio i can just use split a/v, hdmi-1 out to the display sans audio + analog f/l/r out to the display, and hdmi-2 out to the de-embedder + avr no?
post #7145 of 7155 Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
^ Correct, assuming the display lets you play incoming HDMI video along with incoming Stereo Analog audio. Check the display's Manual for how to hook up a "DVI" source device, as this is exactly what is needed for such pre-HDMI, digital video source devices. It may be that only one, specific HDMI Input on the display works for this.

In Speaker Configuration, set the "Down Mix" to STEREO. Leave Left Front / Right Front as LARGE and Subwoofer as OFF. (These settings will only affect the multi-channel Analog audio outputs.)

You might also want to experiment with turning the Subwoofer back ON after setting STEREO above, even though the Subwoofer output is not cabled. This will discard any LFE channel content when you play multi-channel tracks (the ".1" of 5.1 or 7.1 tracks), thus eliminating the need for substantial down-mix attenuation on the Left Front / Right Front outputs, and may also be a better fit for what the built-in speakers of your display can handle. (If I were cabling things this way, this is what I would do.)
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; Yesterday at 11:35 AM.
post #7146 of 7155 Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Correct, assuming the display lets you play incoming HDMI video along with incoming Stereo Analog audio. Check the display's Manual for how to hook up a "DVI" source device, as this is exactly what is needed for such pre-HDMI, digital video source devices. It may be that only one, specific HDMI Input on the display works for this.

In Speaker Configuration, set the "Down Mix" to STEREO. Leave Left Front / Right Front as LARGE and Subwoofer as OFF. (These settings will only affect the multi-channel Analog audio outputs.)
--Bob
yes, my main display (not concerned with the other) has one hdmi input configured for dvi/hdmi + analog audio (l/r) use. and thanks for the display audio setting tip for this type of connection!
post #7147 of 7155 Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM
Read the FAQ!

Liked: 1113
^ I just edited in an update to those recommended settings for you, so re-read my response above.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #7148 of 7155 Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ I just edited in an update to those recommended settings for you, so re-read my response above.
--Bob
just saw that, great stuff, thanks again!
post #7149 of 7155 Old Today, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 907
I want to split the HDMI signal from my DVR which only has one HDMI output port. I'd like to send one stream directly to my AVR and one stream to the Oppo 103D so I can use the Darbee and other Oppo video processing to improve the cable picture from the DVR. This wouldn't be an issue if the Oppo passed the HDMI signal through when in its "off" (standby) state. However, the HDMI outs only seem to be active when the Oppo is "on". I don't want to leave it on all the time when I'm just watching TV. It sucks power and just puts more hours on the unit than necessary. So I'm trying to split the HDMI signal so I don't have to leave the Oppo "on" all the time.

What I found out is few if any of these HDMI splitters will pass multi-channel PCM audio through. They'll pass 6-channel bitstream audio just fine, and they'll pass 2-channel PCM just fine, but not the DD5.1 soundtrack when it's being fed to the splitter in LPCM.

Anybody have any idea why? Or what brand of splitter will work? Or why Oppo won't pass HDMI through in the "off" state? All questions for the ages...
post #7150 of 7155 Old Today, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I don't want to leave it on all the time when I'm just watching TV. It sucks power and just puts more hours on the unit than necessary. So I'm trying to split the HDMI signal so I don't have to leave the Oppo "on" all the time.
I really don't understand your logic. So, you want to save a little electricity and daily wear and tear on your Oppo unit? I have news for you....I'm positive your Oppo player will way outlast your tv as far as hrs used til failure. Plus, you only need your player on when your tv is on. I don't consider that excessive. Watch less tv if you really want to save electricity...tv's are electricity hogs. Most 103D owners want to gain the benefits of Darbee when watching tv. You will have no benefits with the player off. Also, an hdmi splitter is not a passive device. It requires power, which probably will be plugged in your wall 24/7. I don't like my tv on when I listen to music. This makes more sense...one doesn't need a tv on to listen to music, unless they want to use the Oppo player's onscreen music/network browsers. This is just my two cents of electricity I used to send this reply from my iPad.

Last edited by DanF8500; Today at 04:41 PM.
post #7151 of 7155 Old Today, 05:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 225
^ I would agree about just watching everything through the player...
If you are going to watch some content though it, and you are going to have the tv on anyway,
having the player on too isn't going to use that much more electricity.

As for wearing out the player... nah. The Oppo players are built to last.
I personally wouldn't hesitate to use it as much as necessary.
The player has a good 2yr warranty and if it should break out of warranty,
Oppo also has low repair costs in the rare event that it would need such service.

On the topic of splitters... I used to use one the was REALLY CHEAP (eBay/$10),
and it worked just fine for all the audio and video I sent through it.
I have also seen some that are powered and some that are not, so there are some passive ones out there,
but I would just look for something that is reliable, and if it's powered I wouldn't worry about the power usage as it would be really small.
One place to check might be Monoprice.com. You can see what they have and read through their user reviews and knowledge base articles
and see if it mentions what audio will pass through it.
You can also try send them some questions about a specific product and they will usually get back to you fairly quickly.
Just be careful what you do buy, as a lot of their stuff is really chinsy/cheap and some of their stuff is decent quality.
The trick usually for me is to just make sure I'm buying something that does what I want it to.
If something cheap gets the job done, then I consider that a win.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #7152 of 7155 Old Today, 06:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
but I would just look for something that is reliable, and if it's powered I wouldn't worry about the power usage as it would be really small.
One place to check might be Monoprice.com. You can see what they have and read through their user reviews and knowledge base articles
and see if it mentions what audio will pass through it.
Actually, one of the splitters I tried was from Monoprice. I talked to one of their techs who said they don't carry any HDMI splitters that will pass multi-channel PCM, only 2-channel. But they'll all pass 6-channel bitstream. That's weird, but apparently true. I don't understand it.

Maybe you guys are right. I'll just pass everything through the Oppo and be done with it. It's just one more machine to turn on & off before I get everything consolidated into a universal remote.
post #7153 of 7155 Old Today, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I want to split the HDMI signal from my DVR which only has one HDMI output port. I'd like to send one stream directly to my AVR and one stream to the Oppo 103D so I can use the Darbee and other Oppo video processing to improve the cable picture from the DVR. This wouldn't be an issue if the Oppo passed the HDMI signal through when in its "off" (standby) state. However, the HDMI outs only seem to be active when the Oppo is "on". I don't want to leave it on all the time when I'm just watching TV. It sucks power and just puts more hours on the unit than necessary. So I'm trying to split the HDMI signal so I don't have to leave the Oppo "on" all the time.

What I found out is few if any of these HDMI splitters will pass multi-channel PCM audio through. They'll pass 6-channel bitstream audio just fine, and they'll pass 2-channel PCM just fine, but not the DD5.1 soundtrack when it's being fed to the splitter in LPCM.

Anybody have any idea why? Or what brand of splitter will work? Or why Oppo won't pass HDMI through in the "off" state? All questions for the ages...
i was recently in the market for a hdmi splitter, something that would send hdmi to 2 displays simultaneously if needed, but that doesn't seem what you want/need, seems that you might actually be looking for an hdmi switch, not splitter. if that's the case, i believe this hdmi switch handles 5.1... you can do a search within the q&a section of the link to confirm...

http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-301BN-P..._cd_al_qh_dp_i
post #7154 of 7155 Old Today, 08:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 648
Quote:
I don't want to leave it on all the time when I'm just watching TV. It sucks power and just puts more hours on the unit than necessary. So I'm trying to split the HDMI signal so I don't have to leave the Oppo "on" all the time.
I agree with the others here, just leave the player on, it really is built like a tank and in the event it does "throw a track", Oppo has insanely good customer service, even way beyond the warranty period. Last year I had a problem with the tray sticking on a BDP-83, I was the second owner, and all it cost me was the shipping to Oppo, they fixed it free of charge and shipped it back for free as well, simply amazing as this player was purchased in 2009.
post #7155 of 7155 Old Today, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've been wondering. Is the Darbee enhancement more noticeable on a LED, Plasma or projector? I'm looking into buying a Oppo in the near future and am trying to decide if it's worth the extra $100.

Thanks.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com