Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 241 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #7201 of 7221 Unread 04-22-2015, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Check the retail prices for the Oppo players in AU and EU areas, then the eBay prices make more sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7202 of 7221 Unread 04-22-2015, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 117
There may be a bigger market for region-free players in North America than you think. A lot of avid movie collectors consider a region-free player a necessity since there is stuff released in Europe and Japan that never sees the light of day on this continent and that collectors are seeking.

post #7203 of 7221 Unread 04-22-2015, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
There may be a bigger market for region-free players in North America than you think. A lot of avid movie collectors consider a region-free player a necessity since there is stuff released in Europe and Japan that never sees the light of day on this continent and that collectors are seeking.

+1...........
post #7204 of 7221 Unread 04-23-2015, 08:59 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
There's currently pretty much zero 4K content available, other than via dedicated video servers like Sony includes with some of their TV's

All Netflix and Amazon original programming (e.g., House of Cards on Netflix) now is 4K; plus each has other "features", some movies (probably 20 on Amazon), and Netflix has a some TV series (Breaking Bad and Blacklist for example). Plus, Samsung has a hard drive with around 10 full length movies and 20 features). Additionally, both Netflix and Amazon will have HDR on some movies by end of year.

Because of Darbee, I normally use my OPPO for Netflix HD streaming; but use the Samsung SmartHub 4K apps for UHD Netflix or Amazon offerings.
post #7205 of 7221 Unread 04-24-2015, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
All Netflix and Amazon original programming (e.g., House of Cards on Netflix) now is 4K; plus each has other "features", some movies (probably 20 on Amazon), and Netflix has a some TV series (Breaking Bad and Blacklist for example). Plus, Samsung has a hard drive with around 10 full length movies and 20 features). Additionally, both Netflix and Amazon will have HDR on some movies by end of year.
All those movies/series you listed were upscaled by the provider (Flix, Amazon, etc.) to 4K. They weren't recorded in 4K. I don't see a benefit to stream, via network, these upscaled shows when your 4K tv or a media player such as Oppo can upscale these originally recorded HD shows. Until movies actually get recorded in 4K, there is nothing to gain, IMHO.

Last edited by DanF8500; 04-24-2015 at 07:16 AM.
post #7206 of 7221 Unread 04-24-2015, 07:32 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
All those movies/series you listed were upscaled by the provider (Flix,mAmazon, etc.) to 4K. They weren't recorded in 4K. I don't see a benefit to stream, via network, these upscaled shows when your 4K tv or a media player such as Oppo can upscale these originally recorded HD shows. Until movies actually get recorded in 4K, there is nothing to gain, IMHO.

Your "IMHO" says one thing. My eyesight says something else. There is no comparison between Netflix streaming 1080P upconverted by the OPPO or Samsung (which obviously upconverts everything) and their 4K offerings.

By the way, your "authoritative" info on provider up scaling differs from facts and the following:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/deployme...-is-now/269063
"“Blacklist” shoots 4K 16-bit linear raw to the AXS-R5 and HD proxy to the internal SxS cards. The proxy material is processed as dailies—uploaded to a server, color corrected and output as DNxHD for editorial. The 4K raw footage is sent on native Sony AXSM 512 GB cards overnight to Postworks where final conform from the edit proxies and HD output takes place. - See more at: http://www.tvtechnology.com/deployments/0108/k-in-the-tv-environment-where-it-is-now/269063#sthash.ynndnd6P.dpuf"

http://www.trustedreviews.com/netfli...ltra-hd-review
House of Cards is shot in 5K and remastered to 4K.

Marco Polo series on Netflix was shot with Sony 4K F55 (film).

That's as much effort as I'll put into this. But, the above were the first 3 of the original series that I "googled". I'm relative sure something comparable would be available for all the original series.
post #7207 of 7221 Unread 04-24-2015, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
Your "IMHO" says one thing. My eyesight says something else. There is no comparison between Netflix streaming 1080P upconverted by the OPPO or Samsung (which obviously upconverts everything) and their 4K offerings.

By the way, your "authoritative" info on provider up scaling differs from facts and the following:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/deployme...-is-now/269063
"“Blacklist” shoots 4K 16-bit linear raw to the AXS-R5 and HD proxy to the internal SxS cards. The proxy material is processed as dailies—uploaded to a server, color corrected and output as DNxHD for editorial. The 4K raw footage is sent on native Sony AXSM 512 GB cards overnight to Postworks where final conform from the edit proxies and HD output takes place. - See more at: http://www.tvtechnology.com/deployments/0108/k-in-the-tv-environment-where-it-is-now/269063#sthash.ynndnd6P.dpuf"

http://www.trustedreviews.com/netfli...ltra-hd-review
House of Cards is shot in 5K and remastered to 4K.

Marco Polo series on Netflix was shot with Sony 4K F55 (film).

That's as much effort as I'll put into this. But, the above were the first 3 of the original series that I "googled". I'm relative sure something comparable would be available for all the original series.
Sorry for getting off topic, Oppo owners, but I just wanted one last followup with the OP on this.

I stand corrected on the shows you listed as native 4K content. Is "every" 4K tv series/movie thus far provided by Flix/Amazon a native 4K show? As long as these providers aren't upscaling HD content and selling it off as "4K", then streaming native 4K certainly has its benefits...no doubt.
post #7208 of 7221 Unread 04-24-2015, 08:11 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Sorry for getting off topic, Oppo owners, but I just wanted one last followup with the OP on this.

I stand corrected on the shows you listed as native 4K content. Is "every" 4K tv series/movie thus far provided by Flix/Amazon a native 4K show? As long as these providers aren't upscaling HD content and selling it off as "4K", then streaming native 4K certainly has its benefits...no doubt.

Relatively sure all Netflix original programming is 4K. Wasn't sure about Amazon; but the following says all the original programming (quite a bit this year) beginning in 2014 is shot in 4K. http://www.tomsguide.com/us/amazon-f...ews-17991.html
post #7209 of 7221 Unread 04-28-2015, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Hi guys I've been through many pages on here and can't find the answer I'm looking for so im going to just post it. Do you guys like the analog 7.1 outs vs using your avr's. I have a pioneer elite avr going into a emotiva 7 channel amp for my surrounds. Do you think it will sound better using the oppo analogs vs. my analog outs of my avr. I'm using a fiber optic wire right now from the oppo into my pioneer avr. Please help. Mike

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...oot-boxes.html
The STONE HAMMERS sub box build 4/20 cubic boxes tuned @ 16hz.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...land-area.html
2015 GTG meet Plainfield IL. (Chicago land area)
post #7210 of 7221 Unread 04-28-2015, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Your Pioneer will probably sound better. The case might be different for a 105D but that would depend on the age of your AVR and its DAC circuitry. Why are you using optical? Is your receiver too old to support HDMI connections. Optical will not allow you to get DTS Master Audio and Dolby HD. To get those formats on an older receiver that does not have HDMI, then you would want to use the 7.1 audio outs from the Oppo and set the Oppo to send PCM to your receiver. You can use both, if you need to since the Oppo has all outputs active all the time. CDs might sound better via your Pioneer's own DACs, in which case you would want to select the optical input for those.

post #7211 of 7221 Unread 04-28-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Your Pioneer will probably sound better. The case might be different for a 105D but that would depend on the age of your AVR and its DAC circuitry. Why are you using optical? Is your receiver too old to support HDMI connections. Optical will not allow you to get DTS Master Audio and Dolby HD. To get those formats on an older receiver that does not have HDMI, then you would want to use the 7.1 audio outs from the Oppo and set the Oppo to send PCM to your receiver. You can use both, if you need to since the Oppo has all outputs active all the time. CDs might sound better via your Pioneer's own DACs, in which case you would want to select the optical input for those.

I have a pioneer 92 vsx elite avr it's old and does have hdmi in and out. But I can't get the picture to pass through it (projector into hdmi on the avr) I'm looking on upgrading very soon just not sure which one yet I have a 7.4 system.

post #7212 of 7221 Unread 04-28-2015, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

The Oppo has two HDMI outs. Connect one to your AVR for sound and another to your projector for video. This will allow you to take advantage of the decoding of the new movie sound formats in your Oppo and still get video to your projector. See your user manual for exactly how to set this up.
eng-399 likes this.

post #7213 of 7221 Unread 04-28-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
The Oppo has two HDMI outs. Connect one to your AVR for sound and another to your projector for video. This will allow you to take advantage of the decoding of the new movie sound formats in your Oppo and still get video to your projector. See your user manual for exactly how to set this up.

Thank you! Going to try this as soon as I get home tonight I'll let you know how it works out in the morning.

post #7214 of 7221 Unread 04-30-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:

I tired what your saying and at first the avr said (not supported). Then I powered everything down and back up again and then it worked finally. Thanks again.

post #7215 of 7221 Unread 04-30-2015, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 27
^^HDMI is the most unreliable of all connections and has caused more trouble and headaches for many people. If it weren't for its one-cable-for-all along with the industry imposed and monopolizing, this p.o.s. of a connection would of gone down the tubes like Firewire and eSATA a long time ago. To me, HDMI it is the worst digital link/connection ever invented. Anti-piracy becomes anti-handshake shoving down your throat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
I tired what your saying and at first the avr said (not supported). Then I powered everything down and back up again and then it worked finally. Thanks again.
post #7216 of 7221 Unread 04-30-2015, 12:03 PM

Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread

Hit send 2 times sorry guys double post here

post #7217 of 7221 Unread 04-30-2015, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is there a way to have darbee enhancement applied to a source direction configuration? I still prefer to have my scaler take care of all the necessary deinterlacing/scaling etc but have the darbee enhancement applied to let say my media players played or my cable box input to the oppo 103D
post #7218 of 7221 Unread 04-30-2015, 07:27 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverlim View Post
Is there a way to have darbee enhancement applied to a source direction configuration? I still prefer to have my scaler take care of all the necessary deinterlacing/scaling etc but have the darbee enhancement applied to let say my media players played or my cable box input to the oppo 103D
No, Source Direct by definition means no additional video processing.

But: you can use 480i for DVDs and 1080p24 for Blu-rays which means no scaling or deinterlacing for either.

Media files: it depends. They have to be scaled to one of the defined output resolutions unless they are in that format already.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #7219 of 7221 Unread Yesterday, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mouse Pointer delay

I think I know the answer but I will bounce this off you gurus anyway.
I currently have my BDP-103D connected via dual HDMI. My system includes an HTPC, Onkyo TX-NR 808, Samsung UN55D8000 and a DirecTV Geni.

For a few months, I have been searching PC forums for a solution to the delay of my mouse pointer in the HTPC. Today, after checking the 500th PC forum, it hit me in the forehead like Matt Kemp's 34" bat.

I had to set sound delays in the BDP of 170 and 150 on the Onkyo for the DirecTV input to get lip sync, since switching to the dual HDMI setup. Previously, the DirecTV was direct to the BDP and using the HTPC to the receiver without the oppo

I guess my only solution is to switch back to single HDMI and tolerate the annoying sound dropout when resuming play on the DirecTV from pause or rewind. Also, I would not have the oppo in use for Amazon Prime or PC games.

Does anyone have another solution? Thanks.
-Ron

Additional thought: I could connect the HTPC to a different HDMI input on the Samsung. Then, what about sound? I believe the ARC from the TV would only provide 2-channel. Maybe get the sound from the HDMI out on my motherboard to the receiver while using the HDMI out on my graphics card to the TV?

Last edited by SixSpeedRon; Yesterday at 12:04 PM. Reason: Additional info
post #7220 of 7221 Unread Today, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone experienced a clicking/ticking noise when they are playing a disk in their Oppo 103D? It has happened twice now in the last week and I am worried the motor might be going bad. I have owned it for about one year. I have inspected the disks, they do not appear to be damaged. I am going to see if I can record it and post it up. I still have 1 year on my warranty and have not contacted Oppo yet. I just wanted to see if others have had a similar issue is all.
post #7221 of 7221 Unread Today, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Never any mechanical noise from mine. You may need the drive to be replaced.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com