Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 244 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #7291 of 7316 Old 05-15-2015, 06:17 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryElbow View Post
Bob;

Crap! Not the answer I was hoping for but at least it's an answer. Thanks! I guess I'll try having the A-410 do the decoding (though it cannot do Dolby TrueHD due to some p*ssing contest between Dolby and CloudMedia). The long-term answer is to pony up the bucks for a new AVR, which would be nice for other reasons as well. It's odd that the old NetGear NeoTV 550 could bitstream into the same HDMI input on the 103D and that got passed through to the AVR to decode with no problem.
An interim solution that would be a lot less expensive than replacing your AVR would be to add an inexpensive HDMI switcher to effectively give you more HDMI inputs on your AVR. Monoprice, for example, sells some in the <$30 price range that people have reported success with. Here's a link to their switchers. I don't have a specific recommendation because I haven't used any of their switchers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7292 of 7316 Old 05-15-2015, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryElbow View Post
Not the answer I was hoping for but at least it's an answer. Thanks! The long-term answer is to pony up for a new AVR ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
An interim solution that would be a lot less expensive than replacing your AVR would be to add an inexpensive HDMI switcher to effectively give you more HDMI inputs on your AVR. Monoprice, for example, sells some in the <$30 price range that people have reported success with. Here's a link to their switchers. I don't have a specific recommendation because I haven't used any of their switchers.
Good advice. I used a number of Monoprice switching products a few years ago with good success, including this one. And since you're saving to buy a house, the good news is any Monoprice product can be returned for refund if it doesn't work out.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #7293 of 7316 Old 05-16-2015, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
Thanks for that information. My post was based on an article I read a few years ago that made the claim. I suspected the situation was different for Blu-Ray.
I wish the law was the way you suggested, and I wish even more all content were coded region free. Unfortunately I don't think we'll see that in my lifetime. Basically all that happened was that we got the freedom to convert our players to region free legally, no matter how the manufacturer/distributor chooses to sell them. I wonder if the reason BD players require a hardware mod to make them region free for BD was because Sony wanted more control over things than existed with DVD so they deliberately designed the BD standard in such a way as to avoid a software modification working for BD and also required manufacturers to require that their distributors not sell their products with a BD region free modification installed. That doesn't prevent retailers modifying machines for sale but the end result of requiring hardware modification is that it increases the cost of a region free machine and I suspect acts as a deterrent to the modification for many people. They can't prevent people modifying machines but they can make it as difficult and unattractive as they can.
post #7294 of 7316 Old 05-16-2015, 01:25 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Liked: 1141
The Euro-zone has proposed regulations which would put an end to regionalized content. We'll see if that actually comes to pass, and whether the final wording really makes a difference.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #7295 of 7316 Old 05-16-2015, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post
I wish the law was the way you suggested, and I wish even more all content were coded region free. Unfortunately I don't think we'll see that in my lifetime. Basically all that happened was that we got the freedom to convert our players to region free legally, no matter how the manufacturer/distributor chooses to sell them. I wonder if the reason BD players require a hardware mod to make them region free for BD was because Sony wanted more control over things than existed with DVD so they deliberately designed the BD standard in such a way as to avoid a software modification working for BD and also required manufacturers to require that their distributors not sell their products with a BD region free modification installed. That doesn't prevent retailers modifying machines for sale but the end result of requiring hardware modification is that it increases the cost of a region free machine and I suspect acts as a deterrent to the modification for many people. They can't prevent people modifying machines but they can make it as difficult and unattractive as they can.
I suspect that most people in the U.S. aren't even aware of region coding and when they see the various letters and/or numbers for regions on DVDs and BDs they pay no attention.

Region coding means a lot more in other parts of the world. I think even this is less true now that there are not the huge lags in many cases between the releases of movies in the U.S. and elsewhere. When DVDs came it out, it was possible for many people to get a U.S. DVD of a movie before that movie showed up in their own theaters.

Interestingly, many BDs are not region-coded nowadays. This is true for most of the movies from most of the major studios. Unfortunately a lot of smaller studios and releasing companies do region code and many of their releases are stuff collectors like me want. So, even though I live in the U.S., both my Oppos are region modded so I can buy stuff from Europe and occasionally even Australia. The cost, since I did it myself was pretty reasonable, maybe not so reasonable in Australia where I know just about everything costs more.

post #7296 of 7316 Old 05-16-2015, 02:56 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ The thing that's got their dander up in Euroland is geo-restrictions on digital content. I.e., you take your player from France to Germany and you can no longer play your "purchased" streaming titles -- even though the streaming company services both countries!

The disc based "region" stuff is just getting swept up in that kerfuffle.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 05-16-2015 at 06:01 PM.
post #7297 of 7316 Old 05-16-2015, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4641 Post(s)
Liked: 1858
How come you know all that stuff Bob?
post #7298 of 7316 Old 05-16-2015, 05:58 PM
Read the FAQ!

Our Far-flung Correspondents.

...and a variety of industry news sites.
--Bob
post #7299 of 7316 Old 05-17-2015, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

Region coding means a lot more in other parts of the world. I think even this is less true now that there are not the huge lags in many cases between the releases of movies in the U.S. and elsewhere. When DVDs came it out, it was possible for many people to get a U.S. DVD of a movie before that movie showed up in their own theaters.

Interestingly, many BDs are not region-coded nowadays. This is true for most of the movies from most of the major studios. Unfortunately a lot of smaller studios and releasing companies do region code and many of their releases are stuff collectors like me want. So, even though I live in the U.S., both my Oppos are region modded so I can buy stuff from Europe and occasionally even Australia. The cost, since I did it myself was pretty reasonable, maybe not so reasonable in Australia where I know just about everything costs more.
Not quite that simple, at least here. Things get released earlier but market size seems to count and Australia/New Zealand is a small market. There seems to be quite a bit of stuff that gets released on both DVD and BD in the US and Europe but we end up with a DVD only release in Australia so you need to import the BD from the US or Europe. Europe has the same coding as here but the US doesn't. Depending on the movie/TV series, subtitles can get to be an issue with some European releases which can be intended for continental Europe and not for the UK and may not have an English soundtrack or subtitles but the US releases will always have one or both of English soundtrack and subtitles.

You are right that there are more region free releases on BD than there were/are on DVD. That at least is a plus.
post #7300 of 7316 Old 05-17-2015, 01:07 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazcdc54 View Post
I had occasion to re-time the volume bar twice as I was going my memory previously apparently. It stays there for 10 seconds on my machine. Perhaps, you boot up from Quick Start mode?

I use Energy Efficient mode. In this mode I notice the splash screen comes up in 8 seconds but goes away after a few seconds to a black screen and then returns at the 16 second mark with two more pointless seconds to route to the Home screen for a grand total of 17-18 seconds before the start up is completed and commands are accepted. My old BDP-83 had only one start up mode and that was 10 seconds. Interesting that it used 0.5 W in stand by as used by EE mode in the 103D but is so much faster. My Quick Start mode takes 8 seconds. According to the manual the power consumption during normal operation is 35W. Does anyone know how much power is used when using Quick Start mode while in Stand by?

I believe I will drop Oppo a line about these issues. They have been very helpful in servicing previous players and clarifying things before.

If energy use in Quick Start is .5W-1.0W/hr, then monthy cost at my .0675KWH would total 2-3 cents per month. You could double or triple the energy usage/cost, doesn't matter unless I don't know how to do this simple math.

Last edited by rlb; 05-17-2015 at 08:36 PM.
post #7301 of 7316 Old 05-18-2015, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Has this been discussed already?
Oppo adds Tidal music streaming to its Blu-ray players
http://www.whathifi.com/news/oppo-ad...lu-ray-players
Oppo is bringing Tidal's music streaming service to its current range of Blu-ray players. The firmware update will be made available through the Oppo website, where you'll be able to download the relevant files directly onto your player or a USB key.

Once your player has been updated, you'll be able to access Tidal's complete CD-quality catalogue by signing in to the service through Oppo's MediaControl app

Read more at http://www.whathifi.com/news/oppo-ad...GbwMwaWpLPQ.99
post #7302 of 7316 Old 05-18-2015, 01:25 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post
No, I believe you've broken this story.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #7303 of 7316 Old 05-20-2015, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy Temporary loss of picture

I have been using the Oppo 103D for the last 2 months or so. I used to have a PS3 for blurays and streaming movies, however it started having power issues. After a fair bit of research, I settled on the Oppo 103D.

I have been a bit disappointed with the menu on the Oppo and its, at times, flakey handling of scrolling. I have found that if you scroll too far down a directory with Universal Media Server, it can take a long time to get control back. This was never an issue with the PS3. Not to mention, the interface is quite slow in comparison to the PS3. But on the plus side, I can play back any backed up media without silly copyright protection mechanisms getting in the way - Cinavia is not the curse it was with the PS3.

However the main issue I am having now, is that after about 10 minutes of playback on streamed media, the picture blanks out for 5 to 10 seconds. It has always recovered thus far, but is getting to be quite annoying for a high priced player. It also only appears to occur once for a viewing session, that is, multiple streamed files can be watched without seeing the issue after the first time. The audio continues to be output as expected when the problem occurs. I believe that the problem has also occurred with the odd bluray disk.

I am using the latest firmware version, BDP10X-77-0827

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thank you for any assistance.
post #7304 of 7316 Old 05-20-2015, 08:08 AM
Read the FAQ!

Based on the timing (10 minutes) it sounds like the HDMI connection is failing the Copy Protection check (HDCP) that runs in the background during playback every so often. When it fails, an HDMI retry is triggered which will mute video until the Copy Protection is happy again.

This is almost always due to marginal HDMI cabling. Recovery should happen in 1 or 2 handshake tries -- 2 to 4 seconds -- so if you are really experiencing a 10 second drop that would say the signal is even less than marginal. (HDCP is finicky by design. It LIKES to fail.)

Tackle this with the usual procedures for dealing with HDMI cabling issues. For example it could be as simple as just having to pull and reseat the HDMI plugs (every plug from end to end in the signal chain all the way to the Display). HDMI is just friction fit and it only takes a small shift of plug in socket to screw things up -- pretty common with new installations, particularly if you have also switched to new cables that still have kinks in them from the packaging. Insure that each plug is fully inserted straight into the socket with nothing, e.g., cable weight, tugging on it in any direction.

Next, every HDMI cable should be one sold as "High Speed", or "For 1080p", or "Category 2", all of which mean the same thing. Keep in mind that HDMI -- particularly copy protection -- is an end to end protocol, so every active cable in the signal path is suspect. The cable OPPO provides with the player is a good one.

Next, if you have anything else in the signal path, each of those things should be suspect. Bypass them temporarily to see if that cures the problem. This would include daisy-chained cables, adapters, HDMI switches, wall plates (used to dress up the wall ends of in-wall cabling), and any additional gizmos in the signal path such as an external Darbee box.

Next, if you have long cable runs, check to see if that's the problem. Temporarily move the player close enough to the Display to use the normal 6 foot cable and see if the problem goes away. If so, you probably need to upgrade your long cable run.

One thing you can do to test is to lower the bandwidth on the HDMI cable. Turn Deep Color OFF and then try 480p output Resolution. 480p (not 480i) is the simplest HDMI signal. If that works, try 1080i. If that works go back to 1080p. If 1080i works but 1080p does not, then that's typical of marginal HDMI cabling problems.

One other tip: Short cables can also cause problems. Due to technical details of how HDMI works, the sweet spot for cable length between each pair of devices is 6 feet (2 meters). So if you have boxes close together, it is still better to use a 6 foot cable between each pair. Just as some folks use long cables without issue, others will use short cable without issue. It's just that 6 foot length of "high speed" cable maximizes your odds.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 05-20-2015 at 08:12 AM.
post #7305 of 7316 Old 05-20-2015, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post
http://www.whathifi.com/news/oppo-ad...lu-ray-players
Oppo is bringing Tidal's music streaming service to its current range of Blu-ray players. The firmware update will be made available through the Oppo website, where you'll be able to download the relevant files directly onto your player or a USB key.

Once your player has been updated, you'll be able to access Tidal's complete CD-quality catalogue by signing in to the service through Oppo's MediaControl app

Read more at http://www.whathifi.com/news/oppo-ad...GbwMwaWpLPQ.99
Nice, maybe I'll move my Bluesound Node to another room.

Good reason to get a dedicated 2 channel rig.
post #7306 of 7316 Old 05-21-2015, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you Bob for the information relating to the possible HDMI cabling issue. What I find a bit weird is that I never had this problem with the PS3, and it is the exact same cable. In fact, it is even more direct as I had to remove an older HDMI switch I had in place as the video from the OPPO to my Panasonic projector did not work when I first tried it.
The duration of the outage does seem to differ. Tonight while streaming a YouTube clip, it only lasted about 4 seconds. Anyway I will investigate further as it could be some of the colour settings like you mentioned.
post #7307 of 7316 Old 05-21-2015, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Based on the timing (10 minutes) it sounds like the HDMI connection is failing the Copy Protection check (HDCP) that runs in the background during playback every so often ... Tackle this with the usual procedures for dealing with HDMI cabling issues ...
--Bob
Great advice for anyone that gets dropouts.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #7308 of 7316 Old 05-21-2015, 07:19 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spots107 View Post
Thank you Bob for the information relating to the possible HDMI cabling issue. What I find a bit weird is that I never had this problem with the PS3, and it is the exact same cable. In fact, it is even more direct as I had to remove an older HDMI switch I had in place as the video from the OPPO to my Panasonic projector did not work when I first tried it.
The duration of the outage does seem to differ. Tonight while streaming a YouTube clip, it only lasted about 4 seconds. Anyway I will investigate further as it could be some of the colour settings like you mentioned.
It is not uncommon when folks change gear to end up with HDMI plugs that aren't seated properly. Pull and reseat. I suggest you try that first.
--Bob

post #7309 of 7316 Old 05-21-2015, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I know that there is a native mode for video output. Is there a way to limit the output resolution to 1080p for native output? Meaning it outputs all video resolution under 1080 at native resolution but downscales 4k media down to 1080?
post #7310 of 7316 Old 05-21-2015, 11:52 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverlim View Post
I know that there is a native mode for video output. Is there a way to limit the output resolution to 1080p for native output? Meaning it outputs all video resolution under 1080 at native resolution but downscales 4k media down to 1080?
The OPPO 10x players do not play 4K media of any form, so the issue doesn't come up. They can upscale 1080p or lower content to 4K for output, but they can not play any content which is already 4K.
--Bob

post #7311 of 7316 Old 05-21-2015, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
The OPPO 10x players do not play 4K media of any form, so the issue doesn't come up. They can upscale 1080p or lower content to 4K for output, but they can not play any content which is already 4K.
--Bob

Ah I see. I kept reading the 4K upscaling as meaning it could play 4K media files as well.

So it means at this time, other then a HTPC or the 4K TV player, there are no other players that would be able to play 4K media files. Not that its important now. But there seem to be alot of evidence that 4K media files does provide better better motion then a similar 2K media file. As such, there may be a time that this becomes important to get better quality video. Guess thats for BDP-113 or 115 :-p
post #7312 of 7316 Unread Yesterday, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
The HDMI inputs of the OPPO 10x players can not accept TrueHD or DTS-HD MA Bitstreams. They CAN accept high bit rate multi-channel LPCM, but that requires the source device to do the decoding of such tracks.

Since your source can't do the decoding, it will discover during the HDMI handshake that the OPPO can't take the Bitstream. At that point it is up to the source to figure out what to send. What it should send is the DD or DTS compatibility track, which can be multi-channel, and which the OPPO can accept. But the source can also send a stereo LPCM down-mix. There may be no setting in the source to control this behavior.
--Bob
Out of curiousity, do we know why the limitation on accepting True HD or DTS-HD via the HDMI inputs?
post #7313 of 7316 Unread Yesterday, 02:05 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ It's apparently a hardware limitation in the HDMI input decoder.
--Bob
Randy Bessinger likes this.

post #7314 of 7316 Unread Today, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I got the BDP 103Darbee and set it up with the HDMI cable that came with it. Besides video's I will be listening to a lot of two channel music with this. Should I be going through the same HDMI cable for the music to get the best sound or should I be using RCA jacks(analog), Optical or a coaxel cable for music? My receiver is a Yamaha RX-A1020.
post #7315 of 7316 Unread Today, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I received my 103D yesterday. It’s replacing a Panasonic DMP-BDT210 (blu-ray) and a Panasonic DVD-S77 (DVD/DVD-audio). I'm also removing a Toshiba HD-A2 (HD-DVD) from my system (not used anymore).

The packaging was excellent. I was afraid to open the box for fear of messing it up. Good build quality. It’s a really solid unit. I like how the eject button lights up and the Pure Audio mode is great too. I don’t like stagnant images on the TV.

By the time I got finished removing the old units and installing the 103D, plus reprogramming my Harmony One, I didn’t have much time to play with it, so I rushed through various material. I did notice that Avatar really popped more so than before and the DVD-Audios sounded better.

I'm not real familiar with DSD. Is there any difference whether the 103D converts it to PCM or sending it as DSD to my Denon 3808ci? I guess what I should be asking is, am I losing anything from DSD to PCM? Also, I have the Divertimenti [Blu-Ray Audio and SACD] by TrondheimSolistene. After trying out the various audio tracks on the blu-ray I put in the SACD disc with the 103D set to PCM. The tracks played fine (stereo & 5.1), but in the DSD setting it was stereo for both the stereo and the 5.1 tracks. Going by the manual, changing the HDMI audio setting from auto to bitstream should correct that. (?)

I really look forward to sitting down and spending some quality time with my new 103D.

So far I'm jazzed.
post #7316 of 7316 Unread Today, 02:23 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDee View Post
I got the BDP 103Darbee and set it up with the HDMI cable that came with it. Besides video's I will be listening to a lot of two channel music with this. Should I be going through the same HDMI cable for the music to get the best sound or should I be using RCA jacks(analog), Optical or a coaxel cable for music? My receiver is a Yamaha RX-A1020.
I'd recommend you keep it simple and continue to use HDMI audio. Of course you can hook up the Analog as well and compare for yourself -- both are live at the same time. Just make sure you adjust Volume as needed to listen at the same level when you switch. You can check whether your Yamaha needs any such volume adjustment during such switching using a stereo track from an audio calibration disc (e.g., AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray) and a Sound Pressure Level (SPL) meter.
--Bob

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page