Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 245 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #7321 of 7338 Old 05-30-2015, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Netflix Issues...

I received a new Oppo 103D a few weeks ago and I just started using Netflix for the first time. I have yet to watch a movie without a few "reboots". My worst episode was 5 "reboots" during the last 10 minutes of Snowpiercer. Irregardless of the time of day, it seems like it's 50-50 whether I get the HD or SD version of a movie. My internet service is with Comcast(30MPS) and I'm using an older Linksys router(Model WRT120N). Is this a typical Netflix experience? Should I consider a newer/better router?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7322 of 7338 Old 05-30-2015, 10:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Somehow the display chain is not communicating to the OPPO (or the player is not understanding) that 24hz is supported, so it drops back to 60hz.

Is this new behavior? Is so, that's strange.

Circumstances like this is why 1080p24 Output has On or Forced (the phrasing changed at some point).

AUTO really doesn't get you anything. It's not like your display characteristics change from day to day. If it accepts 24hz, set the player that way.

-Bill
Yes, it is new behavior. A few other points of possible relevance, I noticed that the AVR(Denon X4000) was outputting 480p to the display after being fed a 1080i/60 signal from the Oppo - this was for both HDMI inputs(TiVo and a DIRECTV DVR) - which was only corrected by pulling the plug on the AVR and setting the Oppo to 1080p output instead of Auto.

Also, up until a few weeks ago I had a DVDO VP50 vid/proc as the last link in the chain before the signal went on to the display. I was testing it out after replacing the power supply, it's been for sale in the classified section and I wanted to make sure it was functioning properly. It was set with 2 output formats of 1080p/60 and 1080p/24 to cover both cable/sat TV content and disc and LAN-attached content. This system worked just fine and it was only after removing the DVDO that this oddness seemed to crop up(for short while I may even have been watching incorrectly formatted content without realizing it). It's almost as if the display got lazy when it didn't have to determine itself what signal it was receiving, relying on what the DVDO was sending instead, but that just sounds silly(doesn't it?).

This afternoon I'm going to pull the plug on the display, pull the plug again on the AVR, already did plug pull on the Oppo but will do again, each time checking to see if the behavior has been rectified and if not finally feeding the display directly from the Oppo. In fact, I may do that last one first as it might eliminate the Oppo as the problem area and I can focus on the AVR.

I know, it sounds like a lot of different possible points of issue having the AVR, display, the Oppo and at one point the vid/proc involved so I think going with direct connect to the display<Oppo will be my first move.

Would a reset of the Oppo have any value in a case like this?
post #7323 of 7338 Old 05-30-2015, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra5wood View Post
I received a new Oppo 103D a few weeks ago and I just started using Netflix for the first time. I have yet to watch a movie without a few "reboots". My worst episode was 5 "reboots" during the last 10 minutes of Snowpiercer. Irregardless of the time of day, it seems like it's 50-50 whether I get the HD or SD version of a movie. My internet service is with Comcast(30MPS) and I'm using an older Linksys router(Model WRT120N). Is this a typical Netflix experience? Should I consider a newer/better router?
No problems here. Using Mediacom
post #7324 of 7338 Old 05-30-2015, 10:30 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Would a reset of the Oppo have any value in a case like this?
Probably a new HDMI handshake would be all that's required. Just switch the RESOLUTION away from 1080p and back again.

The player's On Screen Display will confirm what it is transmitting over HDMI. Hit INFO and then PAGE DOWN.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #7325 of 7338 Old 05-30-2015, 11:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Probably a new HDMI handshake would be all that's required. Just switch the RESOLUTION away from 1080p and back again.

The player's On Screen Display will confirm what it is transmitting over HDMI. Hit INFO and then PAGE DOWN.

-Bill
I tried that a few times last night and nothing helped, but wouldn't you know it, I set everything back the way it used to be - 1080p out with 24p at Auto and everything seems to be working correctly, all 4 sources(TiVo/DirecTV/Oppo disc/LAN) are displaying at the expected format. Maybe the equipment needed a good night's sleep?

Seriously though, I know what I saw happening last night was real. Is it possible a particular disc or file could have triggered some aberrant behaviour such as format/handshake confusion? Maybe putting all the equipment into Standby for the night reset its connection/handshakes?
post #7326 of 7338 Old 05-30-2015, 06:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 233
^ That very well could be, that just having all of the equipment off at the same time gave it a chance to fully reset.

I still have an older 768p LCD display that is in my bedroom now, but used to have it in the living room.
I remember having some periodical handshaking issues with it, and whenever I would have to shut the tv off,
I would have to wait something like 2 full minutes before I could turn it back on for a new handshake.
After waiting the allotted time, you could actually hear something in the tv go "click",
and then I would know I could power it on again to get a better handshake. Very odd indeed.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #7327 of 7338 Old Yesterday, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
But what about upscaling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8nrg View Post
Hi. The manual says to use BOTH HDMIs if the receiver does not have 3D capability, but if it does (like mine) and I opt to use only HDMI1 for BOTH audio and video, am I limiting myself? Will the audio quality drop? Should I STILL split A/V and use one HDMI for video and another for audio despite my receiver 3D capability? Thanks in advance!
Send the video to the Sammy and the Audio to the AV Reciever. That will assure the best audio and vidoe possible. The Sammy is better at handling audio than the LG, but splitting the A/V from the Oppo will asswure you get the best of both.

What I don't know is whether it is better to let the Oppo or the Sammy upscale to 4K. Normally I would say send Darbeeized 1080p and let the TV do it, but I don't know if that gets full advantage of the Darbee from the Oppo.
gr8nrg likes this.
post #7328 of 7338 Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ That very well could be, that just having all of the equipment off at the same time gave it a chance to fully reset.

I still have an older 768p LCD display that is in my bedroom now, but used to have it in the living room.
I remember having some periodical handshaking issues with it, and whenever I would have to shut the tv off,
I would have to wait something like 2 full minutes before I could turn it back on for a new handshake.
After waiting the allotted time, you could actually hear something in the tv go "click",
and then I would know I could power it on again to get a better handshake. Very odd indeed.
It did it again this morning. Watching a 1080i/60 program on the local NBC station the input to the Oppo showed the correct 1080i/60 format, but the output showed 480p/60 as shown in the image below.

Spoiler!

I changed the Oppo 'Output' setting from Auto to 1080p and it still showed the above. The AVR was showing a 480p input and was outputting the same. I did a plug pull on the AVR and it fixed it. The AVR now showed a 1080p/60 input and everything was as it should be.

It seems the problem is with the Denon X4000, which actually doesn't surprise. It may sound a bit hyperbolic, but I really don't have the confidence in Denon AVRs that I've had in the past. Yes, they are more complicated than in the past but I have had more buggy issues with this unit than I had with any of the earlier models I've had over the last 15 years or so.

I'm curious to see what will happen tomorrow morning, I'm guessing the same all over again.

I'm going to try changing the cable from the Oppo to the AVR and see what happens, and if that doesn't help then maybe changing inputs on the AVR the next day. If a plug pull is the only fix then it's going in to be fixed, hopefully.

Unless the brain trust here has any other ideas, maybe something I've possibly overlooked?

Thanks
post #7329 of 7338 Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
It did it again this morning. Watching a 1080i/60 program on the local NBC station the input to the Oppo showed the correct 1080i/60 format, but the output showed 480p/60 as shown in the image below.
Out of interest... What did/does your display device report when it's directly connected to the Oppo?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #7330 of 7338 Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Out of interest... What did/does your display device report?
It was showing 720x480p when it was getting the incorrect format. The display is a Samsung PN64F8500 plasma with a native 1080p display format.
post #7331 of 7338 Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
^ Sounds like something in the HDMI chain was unhappy with Copy Protection and so forced the resolution down to SD. Copy Protection is implemented by the Source device -- talking through each device in the chain to the devices beyond it (called Repeater processing). Cable and Satellite TV set top Source boxes are notorious for screwing up Repeater processing. And marginal HDMI cabling can cause the Copy Protection check to fail.

If you have multiple HDMI paths to any device in the chain -- even though you think they should not be active -- try disconnecting the inactive ones and see if that fixes the problem. For example, if the OPPO has HDMI to the display for video and HDMI to the AVR for audio and the AVR also has HDMI to the display for video that's two paths into the Display. If the source has HDMI to the OPPO and also HDMI to the AVR that the OPPO is transmitting through that's two paths into the AVR.

Loops can also be a problem. That's any case where HDMI output from one device eventually connects back as input to that same device.

The trick with some of these complex cabling setups is that the HDMI wires you think are not being used at the moment may very well still be "live" due to things like HDMI CEC (remote control over the HDMI cable).

Also in your Denon AVR, look for a setting related to "fast HDMI switching" and try disabling that. Fast switching saves HDMI state, and so if things get screwed up they may not get UN-screwed up easily.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #7332 of 7338 Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
No, just send HDMI 1 to Denon, and the Denon via HDMI to TV.

Biggest thing is to cut video processing off in the Denon. I have a AV7702 preamp, which may use the same video chip (JD Smoothie would know), and with VP on, it clips some chroma resolution (so does the 8802).

Other than that, the Denon will pass the video just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vodil View Post
Send the video to the Sammy and the Audio to the AV Reciever. That will assure the best audio and vidoe possible. The Sammy is better at handling audio than the LG, but splitting the A/V from the Oppo will asswure you get the best of both.

What I don't know is whether it is better to let the Oppo or the Sammy upscale to 4K. Normally I would say send Darbeeized 1080p and let the TV do it, but I don't know if that gets full advantage of the Darbee from the Oppo.
Hmm, now I have 2 different opinions. I tend to think that gadgtfreek is probably correct. As long as I turn OFF video processing in Denon, I can send full, untouched video from Oppo (albeit "Darbeeized 1080p" if I choose to engage Darbee) for Sammy to upscale to 4K on its own. This way, Denon won't mess with it, but will get full untouched audio from Oppo - all with one cable. I'm almost certain that TV's 4K upscaling capability, especially in Samsung is far superior to that of AV receiver or BD player.
post #7333 of 7338 Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 532
I used to be paranoid about sending video thru the AVR, but that is why they invented test patterns

Plus my display offers the same calibration result thru the avr vs around the avr

I've run into more issues using both hdmi outs too, like lip sync.

Panasonic 65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
Marantz AV7702 / Outlaw Model 7500
Klipsch RF7II (2) and RC64II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Panamax MR5100
post #7334 of 7338 Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Sounds like something in the HDMI chain was unhappy with Copy Protection and so forced the resolution down to SD. Copy Protection is implemented by the Source device -- talking through each device in the chain to the devices beyond it (called Repeater processing). Cable and Satellite TV set top Source boxes are notorious for screwing up Repeater processing. And marginal HDMI cabling can cause the Copy Protection check to fail.
Even though the Oppo is showing the correct format at the input(HDMI-Rear for TiVo/ image in previous post)? It could be the AVR or the display that's throwing the "red card"? I'm confident I understand how that works but it's just a bit confusing when the problem seems to crop up between the Oppo and the AVR(Oppo sends 1080i but AVR "sees" 480p).

Quote:
If you have multiple HDMI paths to any device in the chain -- even though you think they should not be active -- try disconnecting the inactive ones and see if that fixes the problem. For example, if the OPPO has HDMI to the display for video and HDMI to the AVR for audio and the AVR also has HDMI to the display for video that's two paths into the Display. If the source has HDMI to the OPPO and also HDMI to the AVR that the OPPO is transmitting through that's two paths into the AVR.

Loops can also be a problem. That's any case where HDMI output from one device eventually connects back as input to that same device.
None of these scenarios exists in my setup. Tivo to HDMI-Rear, DIRECTV to HDMI-Front. HDMI-Out-1 to AVR. AVR to display.

Quote:
The trick with some of these complex cabling setups is that the HDMI wires you think are not being used at the moment may very well still be "live" due to things like HDMI CEC (remote control over the HDMI cable).
This could be something, I do have the AVR connected to the HDMI CEC input on the display though the function is disabled/off on the display. I switched from the default input on the display to avoid the "STB not connected" banner that would pop when a resolution change is made at the source device. It wasn't a functional problem, more of an annoyance. It's been connected like this for several months now though and this problem I'm having now is new within the last week or so.

The CEC function was active on the display. I don't remember when or why I turned it on but I checked it just now and it was active. So I turned it off and I'm going to leave everything else as is and see what happens.

Quote:
Also in your Denon AVR, look for a setting related to "fast HDMI switching" and try disabling that. Fast switching saves HDMI state, and so if things get screwed up they may not get UN-screwed up easily.
--Bob
Not aware of or see anything like that within the Denon setup menu.

Last edited by Keenan; Yesterday at 12:44 PM. Reason: spelling
post #7335 of 7338 Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8nrg View Post
Hmm, now As long as I turn OFF video processing in Denon, I can send full, untouched video from Oppo (albeit "Darbeeized 1080p" if I choose to engage Darbee) for Sammy to upscale to 4K on its own. This way, Denon won't mess with it, but will get full untouched audio from Oppo - all with one cable. I'm almost certain that TV's 4K upscaling capability, especially in Samsung is far superior to that of AV receiver or BD player.
That will work too; so that the Denon passes through all video signals untouched to the Sammy and never use the Sammy inputs except from the AVR. Anybody know if you get better Darbeeization if the Oppo does the 4K upscaling?
post #7336 of 7338 Old Today, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by vodil View Post
That will work too; so that the Denon passes through all video signals untouched to the Sammy and never use the Sammy inputs except from the AVR. Anybody know if you get better Darbeeization if the Oppo does the 4K upscaling?
Darbee works at the 1080p level then that signal is upscaled. That said your mileage may vary.
post #7337 of 7338 Old Today, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 383
I just wanted to drop in and give OPPO a kudos for once. We lost internet over the weekend and almost missed out on our Saturday night drunk movie night. Usually we stream a comedy from Amazon Instant on our Roku. So out of desperation we went to the only place in our little crappy town to movie blurays and couldn't find a single comedy in BD format! Boo Walmart. So out of more desperation we bought Ride Along on DVD. Yes DVD still exists, who knew? I then moved my OPPO out of the main theater and put it in the livingroom which is where we like to watch comedies. I turned on DVD up-conversion and hoped for the best.

I must say, OPPO did a hell of a job here! It was easily as good as streaming quality so the night was saved. I don't know if anyone buys these things for DVDs but if you do you should be impressed.

I caved!
post #7338 of 7338 Old Today, 05:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The CEC function was active on the display. I don't remember when or why I turned it on but I checked it just now and it was active. So I turned it off and I'm going to leave everything else as is and see what happens.

This wasn't the problem, it did the same thing last night. Swapped out the cable between the Oppo and the AVR and it made no difference either.

Changed the turn-on sequence to have the AVR turned on before the display then the Oppo. Worked the first time I tried it, but waiting a few hours to see if it works right again. Interestingly, when the AVR is off it will pass-through video signals yet the signal still shows as being output from the Oppo at the 720x480p resolution that I've been having trouble with.

The oddest thing about all of this is that there have no updates to any of the equipment and it was working just fine a few weeks ago, go figure.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com