Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 250 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #7471 of 7490 Old 06-25-2015, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
You'd still have to open up the unit for connecting but no soldering required. Looks kind of tacky but whatever works. I'm sure there are other options if you want to get technical.

They actually say external USB connection recommended; but they will provide internal connection instructions on request.

I'm all for an external connection that is quick and painless; but interested if anybody has used these particular ones and had any problems.

Boston Acoustics Classic series L/C/R + front presence; Fluance XLBP Bipole surrounds; PSA XS15se
Yamaha RX-A3040; Emotiva XPA-3
Oppo BDP-103D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 7490 Old 06-25-2015, 11:52 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8nrg View Post
I have asked this question in the Samsung JS9500 TV forum, but still pondering about the suggestion I got. Basically, the consensus was that I should set the output on Oppo NOT to 4K, but to 1080p and let Samsung do all of the upscaling to 4K thus letting Darbee effects pass on to TV before upscaling. I was told to NOT select 103d's output to 4K in order to avoid double upscaling by Oppo and then Samsung. Is it correct? Why would that be bad? I thought Oppo is supposed to have a great video chip, right? If I don't utilize it, why even bother with this unit if I could have bought a cheap $50 player and let TV do all the work? My receiver does audio processing, so it seems that OPPO is not doing ANYTHING if Darbee option is "off". I'm just not 100% sure about what my HDMI out settings should be for BEST picture. Even in the OPPO manual it recommends setting to HDMI output to match the TV set' resolution, which in my case is 4K A detailed explanation would be much appreciated! Thanks!

With last year's Samsung UHD processing, I subjectively (maybe by a little) preferred the 103D's upconversion to 2160P versus the Samsung processing.

Like you, I have the JS9500 and 103D. This year's processing on the JS9500 is significantly better than last year's. I compared results and in my opinion it isn't close. The Samsung is significantly better. If you feel bad about not using the OPPO, remember it was out around 16 months before the Samsung (i.e., Samsung a newer generation process). I even stopped using Darbee with the JS9500. However, the OPPO is still a great, player, even with "native or direct" output.

However, the final authority is your "eyes" and preferences. Experiment.

Samsung 65JS9500 and 65F9000 w/SEK-2500U
Denon 4520ci & Outlaw 755
Infinity Reference Standard Kappa 8's, Reference 2000's, and Model cc-3
OPPO 103-D, PS3, and HR44
post #7473 of 7490 Old 06-25-2015, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 View Post
They actually say external USB connection recommended; but they will provide internal connection instructions on request.

I'm all for an external connection that is quick and painless; but interested if anybody has used these particular ones and had any problems.
Quite a few people are using the external kit and have reported no issues. Functionally they are the same as the internal mods.
post #7474 of 7490 Old 06-27-2015, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Can someone give me a summary of the Oppo 103 and 105 Streaming capability?

I'm thinking of using this is a Music Only system. Pretty hard to find a Player and Streaming in separate units for that price.

Am I right in assuming there is a Smart Device App to control the Streaming, so I don't necessarily need to TV?

Oppo 103D and 105D as Audio Streamers???

Steve/bluewizard
post #7475 of 7490 Old 06-28-2015, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Greetings all,

How do I get output sample rate information for FLAC playback?
My 103D is working well for the most part. I can play FLAC files from a USB stick or NAS just fine, kind of. I can get info for pretty much anything else.

The big issue is that the input at my receiver (Pioneer SC-77) is reporting a maximum sample rate of 48 kHz from the 103D (from USB or the hard drive). I'd like to be able to confirm this information at the 103D. FLAC on USB stick plugged into the receiver shows expected 96 kHz (input).

My connections are HDMI 1 out to F8500 TV, HDMI 2 out to the AVR. I've tried settings back and forth with Bitstream and LPCM, A/V Split and dual - and pretty much everything else - to see if I could get something to happen.
I did download a DSD sample track from the Oppo web site to experiment with. I worked fire. The input at the SC-77 reported the appropriate 2.8 MHz as did output at the 103D.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This seems like it should be such a simple thing, probably is. I don't read many people having this kind of problem.
Thx
B
post #7476 of 7490 Old 06-28-2015, 11:36 PM

OK.
After about a week and a half I got it fixed. The 103D was the culprit, not my receiver.
The solution was simple. A factory reset, 'Erase Settings' did the trick. The receiver reports the correct sample rate now. However, the Oppo still does not. I guess I can live with that.

Thx
B
post #7477 of 7490 Old 06-29-2015, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Yes it would be handy if the Oppo BDP-10x range of players offered the ability to display information for 'audio only' files

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #7478 of 7490 Old 06-29-2015, 02:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Some one gave me a link to this Oppo Q&A -

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-103-faq.html

Under - What are the specs of the digital inputs?

HDMI -
  • The inputs support stereo and 5.1 LPCM up to 192KHz, 7.1 LPCM up to 96KHz.
  • Lossy Dolby Digital and DTS up to 7.1.
  • Dolby Digital Plus up to 7.1.
  • They do not support input of DSD, Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA.

What? How can that be? It doesn't support Dobly TrueHD or DTS-HD??? That can't be right?

Steve/bluewizard
post #7479 of 7490 Old 06-29-2015, 03:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
Some one gave me a link to this Oppo Q&A -

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-103-faq.html

Under - What are the specs of the digital inputs?

HDMI -
  • The inputs support stereo and 5.1 LPCM up to 192KHz, 7.1 LPCM up to 96KHz.
  • Lossy Dolby Digital and DTS up to 7.1.
  • Dolby Digital Plus up to 7.1.
  • They do not support input of DSD, Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA.

What? How can that be? It doesn't support Dobly TrueHD or DTS-HD??? That can't be right?

Steve/bluewizard
Follow the link - via HDMI

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-...-Features.aspx

"The BDP-103D supports bit-stream output of Dolby TrueHD via its HDMI 1.4a output."

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #7480 of 7490 Old 06-29-2015, 03:11 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
^ The lossless Bitstreams are supported for HDMI *OUTPUT*, not for input. However, the HDMI inputs do support high bit-rate LPCM -- up to 7.1 channels and up to 192KHz 24-bit -- if your content is already LPCM or if your Source device can decode the DTS-HD MA or TrueHD to LPCM to send to the OPPO.
--Bob
bluewizard likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #7481 of 7490 Old 06-29-2015, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post
Follow the link - via HDMI

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-...-Features.aspx

"The BDP-103D supports bit-stream output of Dolby TrueHD via its HDMI 1.4a output."
Common Sense would tell us that a BLURAY player would support Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD. Supporting HD audio is pretty much what it means to be a BluRay Player, though that's not the sum total of it.

Output -
- Analog Audio: 7.1ch, 5.1ch, stereo.

- Coaxial/Optical Audio: Dolby Digital, DTS, up to 2ch/192kHz PCM.

- HDMI Audio: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS-HD Master Audio, up to 7.1ch/192kHz PCM, up to 5.1ch DSD.

- HDMI Video: 480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i/1080p/1080p24/4Kx2K, 3D frame-packing 720p/1080p24.

However, what does the FAQ link mean when it says -

They do not support input of DSD, Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA.

They must mean something that is no evident to me.

Steve/bluewizard
post #7482 of 7490 Old 06-29-2015, 05:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Common Sense would tell us that a BLURAY player would support Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD. Supporting HD audio is pretty much what it means to be a BluRay Player, though that's not the sum total of it.

Output -

- HDMI Audio: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS-HD Master Audio, up to 7.1ch/192kHz PCM, up to 5.1ch DSD.

- HDMI Video: 480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i/1080p/1080p24/4Kx2K, 3D frame-packing 720p/1080p24.

Steve/bluewizard
See the post right above yours.
post #7483 of 7490 Old 06-29-2015, 06:17 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:

Output -

Steve/bluewizard
The lack of support for DSD, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD MA on the BDP-10x players ONLY applies to the HDMI inputs on the player that can be used to send audio and video from other HDMI devices (such as a cable box, Apple TV, etc.) through the player. If you're playing a Bluray disc on the player, playing content from an attached USB storage device, playing content over your home network via SMB shares or DLNA, etc., then those audio formats are supported. This limitation is a hardware limitation of the HDMI input chipset that is in these players.
post #7484 of 7490 Old 06-29-2015, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
See the post right above yours.
Thanks everyone! It is finally sinking in.

Still open to feedback on the Network Audio Streaming aspect. How well it works? How good is the App? And so on...? Any limitations?

Considering that a separate Streaming device increases the cost noticeably, it would be nice to have everything in one low cost box, and relative to what you get, even the Oppo 105 is a low cost box.

Keep in mind that while I may have video playback capability, I have no doubt the Oppo will be fine for that.

But if I want the Oppo to double as a pure Stereo audio playback device, I need a better sense of how well the Network Audio Streaming works.

Thanks.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 06-29-2015 at 06:37 PM.
post #7485 of 7490 Old 06-29-2015, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Thanks everyone! It is finally sinking in.

Still open to feedback on the Network Audio Streaming aspect. How well it works? How good is the App? And so on...? Any limitations?

But if I want the Oppo to double as a pure Stereo audio playback device, I need a better sense of how well the Network Audio Streaming works.

Thanks.

Steve/bluewizard
Network audio streaming (SMB or DLNA) is fantastic on the Oppo players. It's all I ever use to play back my audio files stored on my NAS. I don't use the Oppo's usb interfaces (Type A and B) or the hdmi inputs. You probably know everything I'm about to tell you (if not, then this applies to you), but for all the other Oppo owners who want to use network streaming on these players, it's well worth it. If you don't want to have your tv on for browsing your audio directories, you'll obviously need a media player/uPnP app (either iOS or Android based) or you'll need a home PC/laptop with uPnP media software installed (i.e. JRiver Media Center). For DLNA (to push audio files to the Oppo player), you'll need a DLNA media server. My NAS (Synology) has its own embedded media server for this. You can push any supported Oppo formats to the player. I'm not an Android guy. I use an iPad with either Oppo's MediaControlHD app, an app called Creation 5, or Synology's DS audio app. The Oppo Media Control app is, as you're aware, a free app. It's not super robust, but it gets the job done. I like the Creation 5 interface, and it does seem to be a little more stable of an app for audio playback. The list of uPnP media apps is extensive, so you'll have to find one that meets your standards. I actually prefer SMB to DLNA. It has been a more stable protocol for me when streaming my audio.

Last edited by DanF8500; 06-29-2015 at 07:46 PM.
post #7486 of 7490 Old 06-29-2015, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 29
^^I use the USB to attach a portable drive full of rips since I don't have a NAS. Works great too, but yeah this is by far one of the best DLNA streaming devices for being a Blu-Ray player.
post #7487 of 7490 Old Yesterday, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Network audio streaming (SMB or DLNA) is fantastic on the Oppo players. ....
OK, thanks, that is helpful.

steve/bluewizard
post #7488 of 7490 Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM

Greeting all,
Over the last week or so I'd been doing a lot of reading trying to resolve an issue I was having. The problem was resolved but I saw a discussion, unrelated to my problem, that sparked my interest. It was concerning USB thumb drive(s) for media file storage.

I have one PNY brand 64GB thumb drive(USB USB 2.0) I've been using primarily for music storage. I have had no problems with its function at all as far as I can tell. The biggest and may be the only problem is that my organization scheme is horrible. I have many folders set up as play lists. While this works, it results in many duplicate files. It isn't very efficient.

I'd like to get a couple more thumb drives and get them organized properly. How do you have your USB thumb drive(s) organized? What thumb drive and what size are you using for your media file storage? Multiple partitions? Is there any reason to go with a USB 3.0 over USB 2.0?

Thx
B
post #7489 of 7490 Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
oppo 103d vs nas

I would like to know if I would be losing any sound or picture quality downloading blu rays onto my qnap tvs871 vs. playing them on my oppo bdp 103d
post #7490 of 7490 Unread Today, 04:35 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePatron View Post
I would like to know if I would be losing any sound or picture quality downloading blu rays onto my qnap tvs871 vs. playing them on my oppo bdp 103d
Welcome to AVSForum.

If you are talking about pirated material: forum policy forbids discussions of that.

For backups of your own discs, it depends on the method used. Backups without compression will have the same quality as the disc.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page