Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 253 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #7561 of 7597 Old 07-16-2015, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by paligap View Post
I already have the XBOX-360 HD-DVD player on order. How do you play the movies on your 103-D? USB drive, network, or something else? In light of the fact that the HDMI input won't pass Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD MA, I'm wondering if other connections have similar problems and whether there is any difference in audio/video quality among the different methods of playback.
I have a NAS I store all of my files on. Like gsr is saying, the HDMI input limitation does not apply to playing files from a NAS or USB/Hard drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7562 of 7597 Old 07-16-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canton160 View Post
By my experience i advice to use and rip using Makemkv (MKV) over the period of 4 years I've being ripping blurays (+300) i try to keep one single container to avoid a variable of issues.

Also the only challenge i faced with MKV + Oppo103D was the discs that has LPCM and Dolby digital EX Track, like the pirates of caribbean, and the oppo shows audio not supported.

To solve this problem
1-download mkvtoolnix
2- go to editor
3- open
4- choose movie file
5- choose the audio track LPCM > Codec ID > A_MS/ACM and change to A_PCM/INT/LIT
6- save

And the LPCM track should work has a breeze.
One thing I forgot about as far as LPCM goes, is that if you using MakeMKV to rip a disc that is LPCM, you can simply setup MakeMKV to convert the LPCM track to FLAC. I have done this and the Oppo plays back the files with no issues. The settings for it are under View --> Preferences --> Advanced Tab --> and then change the 'Default profile:' drop down from Default to FLAC. Of course you have to check the 'Expert Mode' check box on the General tab before you can see the Advanced Tab. This can save you an extra step and not have to use MKVMerge (mkvtoolnix) and most devices support FLAC these days.
post #7563 of 7597 Old 07-17-2015, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Uhd 4k

Starting to read that UHD DVD will be coming out late 2015. Have we hard anything from OPPO on there players.
post #7564 of 7597 Old 07-17-2015, 12:04 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by jappleboy View Post
Starting to read that UHD DVD will be coming out late 2015. Have we hard anything from OPPO on there players.
OPPO has said not this year and maybe not next year.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #7565 of 7597 Old 07-21-2015, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
Ripped all of my HD-DVD's awhile back using an XBOX-360 HD-DVD external player. You can get them cheap on eBay. Windows 7 recognized the player and AnyDVD-HD will rip HD-DVD's from the XBox player. Only had issue with one disc and that was with U-571. For whatever reason, my Oppo 103D just freezes on that title when I attempt to play it. I also have it on Blu so I didn't fret over it. All of my other HD-DVD rips work great though. It's a great way to preserve your HD-DVD collection if you want.
I got my XBOX-360 HD-DVD external player and used MakeMKV to rip a couple of movies to the hard drive on my PC. I really struggled trying to find a free media player that would push a movie to my Oppo, but I settled on Kodi (XBMC). I tested a movie, and it looked and sounded good, but I think the Dolby TrueHD was converted to MLP 5.1 somewhere. It was really just a test to see if I was ripping the movies correctly.

I couldn't get my Oppo to "see" the MKV files on my PC, even though it could see my home videos. I read that the Oppos have trouble interfacing with Windows 7 PCs, or 8, or both. I'm not sure if a NAS would streamline that interface, and I don't really want to go the HTPC route. I was considering ripping all my movies, CDs, and surround discs to a USB drive or NAS, but if the interface is always going to be clunky, I might reconsider.

Samsung PN60f8500
Oppo BDP-103D
Denon 4520
Custom UFW-15 (2)
Rocket RS850 (2), Rocket Bigfoot Center, Rocket RSS300 (2), Rocket RS250MKII (4)
post #7566 of 7597 Old 07-22-2015, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
I couldn't get my Oppo to "see" the MKV files on my PC, even though it could see my home videos. I read that the Oppos have trouble interfacing with Windows 7 PCs, or 8, or both. I'm not sure if a NAS would streamline that interface, and I don't really want to go the HTPC route. I was considering ripping all my movies, CDs, and surround discs to a USB drive or NAS, but if the interface is always going to be clunky, I might reconsider.
I think you'll like Windows 10, as unlike previous Windows O/S releases as it can now 'push' (cast) .mkv files to any supporting device on your home network: -

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #7567 of 7597 Old 07-22-2015, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 0
had a moment to play around with some of my 103d's options last night, will get a chance to spend more time with the unit today or tomorrow, netflix worked out of the box, nice interface and pretty snappy (using hardwire, not wireless), but i couldn't get out of the youtube app, it's asks me to confirm if i want to exit, i respond yes, the bright red youtube splash screen appears for a few seconds, and then it takes me right back to youtube....
post #7568 of 7597 Old 07-22-2015, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
had a moment to play around with some of my 103d's options last night, will get a chance to spend more time with the unit today or tomorrow, netflix worked out of the box, nice interface and pretty snappy (using hardwire, not wireless), but i couldn't get out of the youtube app, it's asks me to confirm if i want to exit, i respond yes, the bright red youtube splash screen appears for a few seconds, and then it takes me right back to youtube....
I just use the HOME button.
post #7569 of 7597 Old 07-22-2015, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Just a quick question. Is the Darbee edition better than the AU? I mean it is worth the extra money? I am planning on ordering the 103D for my theater and retiring the 103 to the living room as I need a new player for the living room.
post #7570 of 7597 Old 07-22-2015, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Just a quick question. Is the Darbee edition better than the AU? I mean it is worth the extra money? I am planning on ordering the 103D for my theater and retiring the 103 to the living room as I need a new player for the living room.

Hi,

Pretty sure that the "AU" is just code for Australia.
There's an "EU" too which you would guess is for Europe.

The MOST important thing to look for is the 'D"

This means that the player has an on board Darbee video processing engine.

Another couple of extra features above the "non D" is DSD 128 USB capability and DSD output via BOTH HDMI's.

Cheers
post #7571 of 7597 Old 07-23-2015, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a brand new 103D and attempted to play a movie from a USB drive last night--first use of this unit. I have a think black line slowly scrolling across the screen from left to right. The movies on this stick play fine on my Oppo 93 and laptop. The scrolling line persists when the movie is paused but does not show when the 103D's menus are displayed.

Any ideas on what this problem could be?? Thanks!
post #7572 of 7597 Old 07-23-2015, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorO View Post
I have a brand new 103D and attempted to play a movie from a USB drive last night--first use of this unit. I have a think black line slowly scrolling across the screen from left to right. The movies on this stick play fine on my Oppo 93 and laptop. The scrolling line persists when the movie is paused but does not show when the 103D's menus are displayed.

Any ideas on what this problem could be?? Thanks!
Sounds like you have the Darbee demo mode on.

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 / 93 (ISO firmware) / 103D, Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #7573 of 7597 Old 07-23-2015, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
With your screen and front projection, you're probably a strong candidate to enjoy the Darbee effect. Opinions vary, but most on this thread believe the Darbee effect adds perceived image sharpness on their displays. It's a must have in our room.

Quoting from the FAQ's on the first page and post of this thread (go there for more good stuff):

How is the BDP-103D different from the BDP-103? The BDP-103D subtracts:
the Marvell Qdeo video processor
...and adds:
the Darbee Visual Presence video processor
the Silicon Image VRS ClearView video processor
...and replaces:
the remote with a new version with a Darbee button
All other aspects and functions of the two models are identical.
Reefdvr27 likes this.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.

Last edited by mogrub; 07-23-2015 at 08:18 AM. Reason: typo
post #7574 of 7597 Old 07-23-2015, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorO View Post
I have a brand new 103D and attempted to play a movie from a USB drive last night--first use of this unit. I have a think black line slowly scrolling across the screen from left to right ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
Sounds like you have the Darbee demo mode on.
Yup.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #7575 of 7597 Old 07-23-2015, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just got a BDP-103D.
Seems that it does not stream ISO files :-(
Is there a fix or mod for that by any chance?

Most of my movie files are in ISO format and I was hoping that the Oppo would do it all.

I apologize if this has already been discussed here but I would appreciate the advice if anyone knows of a workaround.

Thanks,
Russ
post #7576 of 7597 Old 07-23-2015, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Rubman View Post
Just got a BDP-103D.
Seems that it does not stream ISO files :-(
Is there a fix or mod for that by any chance?

Most of my movie files are in ISO format and I was hoping that the Oppo would do it all.

I apologize if this has already been discussed here but I would appreciate the advice if anyone knows of a workaround.

Thanks,
Russ
Nope. They'll still play if you get in the folder and choose the file individually but it will not play continuously like a DVD. Each file will stop. You'd have to convert them into mkv for proper playback, but then Oppo doesn't recognize chapter markers either. I believe the default is 10 chapters on a single film in no particular orders.
post #7577 of 7597 Old 07-23-2015, 03:08 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
Oppo doesn't recognize chapter markers either.
Sure it does.

Quote:
I believe the default is 10 chapters on a single film in no particular orders.
If there are no chapters defined the player simulates 10. No particular order? That does not compute.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #7578 of 7597 Old 07-23-2015, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Sure it does.

If there are no chapters defined the player simulates 10. No particular order? That does not compute.

-Bill
It will recognize chapters when playing shiny disc (DVD, BD) but it will NOT for all other files such as mkv. Play an MKV file and all you have is 10 chapters marked by Oppo and they are not in any specified location, it will create 10 in any order. That same mkv file will play fine elsewhere with its original marked chapters (e.g. 22 chapters) anywhere, except OPPO.

Questions replied by Oppo:
2. If the files does not have chapters, then the player will automatically insert chapters every 10 percent of the file length. If the file has chapters, then the player will be able to read the chapters correctly.

Try the files on attached USB storage instead of through the network and see if the chapters then work properly for your MKV files. m2ts/ts files do not have chapters which are usable by the player.
post #7579 of 7597 Old 07-23-2015, 04:13 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
It will recognize chapters when playing shiny disc (DVD, BD) but it will NOT for all other files such as mkv.
That is simply untrue. I do it every day. There is something wrong with your workflow.

-Bill
Keenan likes this.

post #7580 of 7597 Old 07-23-2015, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That is simply untrue. I do it every day. There is something wrong with your workflow.

-Bill
I hope not. You mean to tell me that when playing mkv files via USB will yield more than 10 chapters, or all of its native chapters? If this is the case then I have a problem, because they (Oppo) say the files are automatically override at 10 increments which then ultimately creates 10 chapters. This is straight from the horse's mouth.
post #7581 of 7597 Old 07-23-2015, 04:24 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
I hope not. You mean to tell me that when playing mkv files via USB will yield more than 10 chapters, or all of its native chapters? If this is the case then I have a problem, because they (Oppo) say the files are automatically override at 10 increments which then ultimately creates 10 chapters. This is straight from the horse's mouth.
Yes, the chapters are the same as from the original source. Same in number and duration.

My workflow these days is MakeMKV + HandBrake.

The OPPO quote said the same thing I did: if there are no chapters in the file, then it simulates 10 equally spaced chapters.

-Bill

post #7582 of 7597 Old 07-23-2015, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, the chapters are the same as from the original source. Same in number and duration.

My workflow these days is MakeMKV + HandBrake.

The OPPO quote said the same thing I did: if there are no chapters in the file, then it simulates 10 equally spaced chapters.

-Bill
Well, as we speak I am viewing my files on other sources and it plays the chapters correctly except for Oppo. I also use Handbrake and all chapters migrated correctly. I did not convert using MakeMKV, but instead DVDFab. Funny the chapters are there except Oppo won't read them.
post #7583 of 7597 Old 07-23-2015, 05:06 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Well, as we speak I am viewing my files on other sources and it plays the chapters correctly except for Oppo. I also use Handbrake and all chapters migrated correctly. I did not convert using MakeMKV, but instead DVDFab. Funny the chapters are there except Oppo won't read them.
That's mysterious. You might post the text output of mkvinfo for one of these files. Or ask OPPO support if they'd like a sample file.

-Bill

post #7584 of 7597 Old 07-23-2015, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's mysterious. You might post the text output of mkvinfo for one of these files. Or ask OPPO support if they'd like a sample file.

-Bill
I will try to make another file using MakeMKV/Handbrake and see what happens.
post #7585 of 7597 Old 07-23-2015, 05:10 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
I will try to make another file using MakeMKV/Handbrake and see what happens.
As an experiment, try running one of the files through mkvmerge just to make a new copy. See if that behaves differently.

-Bill

post #7586 of 7597 Old 07-23-2015, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
One thing I forgot about as far as LPCM goes, is that if you using MakeMKV to rip a disc that is LPCM, you can simply setup MakeMKV to convert the LPCM track to FLAC. I have done this and the Oppo plays back the files with no issues. The settings for it are under View --> Preferences --> Advanced Tab --> and then change the 'Default profile:' drop down from Default to FLAC. Of course you have to check the 'Expert Mode' check box on the General tab before you can see the Advanced Tab. This can save you an extra step and not have to use MKVMerge (mkvtoolnix) and most devices support FLAC these days.
How would that setting affect rips of Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD MA discs? What is "default," anyway? Does that just mean whatever is on the disc?

Samsung PN60f8500
Oppo BDP-103D
Denon 4520
Custom UFW-15 (2)
Rocket RS850 (2), Rocket Bigfoot Center, Rocket RSS300 (2), Rocket RS250MKII (4)
post #7587 of 7597 Old 07-23-2015, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
I use DVDFab Ripper and have no issues with chapters. Use the "MKV Passthrough" template and you get all the same chapter points as the original.
post #7588 of 7597 Old 07-23-2015, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I use DVDFab Ripper and have no issues with chapters. Use the "MKV Passthrough" template and you get all the same chapter points as the original.
I just re-converted one of the DVDFab mkv files through MakeMkv and it is showing all the chapters but I now get HD 6.1 instead of HD-MA...odd.
post #7589 of 7597 Old 07-23-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
How would that setting affect rips of Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD MA discs? What is "default," anyway? Does that just mean whatever is on the disc?
That's a good question as I have never tried it before but now you got me wondering.... Yes, default is just whatever is on the disc.
post #7590 of 7597 Old 07-24-2015, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
You'd have to convert them into mkv for proper playback, but then Oppo doesn't recognize chapter markers either. I believe the default is 10 chapters on a single film in no particular orders.
Actually, the Oppo supports chapter markers within .mkv contained files just fine. All mine work perfectly, even Avatar which has 36 chapters

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com