Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 254 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #7591 of 7609 Old 07-24-2015, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Rubman View Post
Just got a BDP-103D.
Seems that it does not stream ISO files :-(
Is there a fix or mod for that by any chance?

Most of my movie files are in ISO format and I was hoping that the Oppo would do it all.

I apologize if this has already been discussed here but I would appreciate the advice if anyone knows of a workaround.

Thanks,
Russ
go to ebay. search for "jailbreak oppo"...pay the $90. enjoy your new found freedom of being able to stream your blu ray iso files from a nas in all their glorious splendor..
Russ Rubman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7592 of 7609 Old 07-26-2015, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by paligap View Post
I got my XBOX-360 HD-DVD external player and used MakeMKV to rip a couple of movies to the hard drive on my PC. I really struggled trying to find a free media player that would push a movie to my Oppo, but I settled on Kodi (XBMC). I tested a movie, and it looked and sounded good, but I think the Dolby TrueHD was converted to MLP 5.1 somewhere. It was really just a test to see if I was ripping the movies correctly.
Actually, when I checked the input on my receiver, it was Dolby TrueHD. So far, so good.

Samsung PN60f8500
Oppo BDP-103D
Denon 4520
Custom UFW-15 (2)
Rocket RS850 (2), Rocket Bigfoot Center, Rocket RSS300 (2), Rocket RS250MKII (4)
post #7593 of 7609 Old 07-29-2015, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi, I really like my bdp 103d player why is the subtitle zoom still too small. I have srt files with my media files. I have done the subtitle adjustment feature and put it to size 3 and color yellow and it is still too small. Could there be a firmware update in the future that could increase more than that. In xbmc I have the subtitle size to 36 and that works for me. I really hope this could be added this is the best blu-ray/media player out there. I contacted oppo a few months back with this issue and they said maybe in the future but not guaranteed. Because of this Issue I have to use xbmc which allows me to zoom the subtitle as big as I want it. Is firmware support for this player dead?. Will I have to wait for bdp 113 for this?

Last edited by megamanwilson; 07-29-2015 at 10:41 AM.
post #7594 of 7609 Old 07-29-2015, 10:44 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1198 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanwilson View Post
Hi, I really like my bdp 103d player
One thread at a time, please.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #7595 of 7609 Old 07-29-2015, 11:44 AM
GCS
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have been looking at changing things in our room and thought an Oppo was the way to go and now I am thoroughly confused!

Currently we use a Pioneer 3D player for 3D movies only and a Dune player for playback of all files on my 40TB server with our collection (all items are in mkv form).

I want one player for all of this if possible.

Pioneer does a great job for 3D playback but cannot do squat for our media collection. Dune player is great for media playback but not 3D. At one time the Dune player had a good media solution in Yadis (not a fan of Zappiti) but that is not supported anymore and it works like crap for me now (many, many missing items).

My question is can the Oppo handle all my needs including a quality media solution like Yadis, My Movies etc.

We use Plex for everything else in the house and like it a lot. I do not want to go that road in the family room as I want the best picture and sound I can get for projecting on our 120" (soon to be 135") screen.

Reading through here has me all baffled as to what the Oppo can do and not do now.

Also I use Makemkv for all of my rips but own DVDFab as well.

TIA for your help.

Greg

XBL Gamertag - blowfish7494

"Pull up your big boy pants and deal with it" - The Wife!

"Put on your man suit and fake it" - The Wife

post #7596 of 7609 Old 07-30-2015, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Guys,

i do not know if this is the right place but i would appriciate your assistance.

i am currently viewing my remux's (mkv) via an HTPC (KODI) to a OPTOMA HD25-LV projector, projected to a 106" screen.
i have a feeling that my HTPC is a "bottle-neck" in my chain when refering to the picture quality. i am seriously thinking of getting the OPPO 103D for maximizing the PQ.

what do you think? should the OPPO be a big improvment to a HTPC?

anyone with OPPO 103 & OPTOMA HD25-LV combination here?

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Yaniv
post #7597 of 7609 Old 07-30-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanivkin View Post
what do you think? should the OPPO be a big improvment to a HTPC?
I think it depends on the HTPC in question and the video card it has.
post #7598 of 7609 Old 07-31-2015, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS View Post
My question is can the Oppo handle all my needs including a quality media solution like Yadis, My Movies etc.
Not to my knowledge. I am hoping that MyMovies would add full support for the oppo - see feature request here.

_____
Axel

post #7599 of 7609 Old 07-31-2015, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Pandora code for universal remotes?

I just added the BDP-103D to my HT a few days ago. One question I had was whether there's a way to start up Pandora without needing to look at the screen. The reason I ask is that my only display is a projector, and I'd rather not fire up the whole system just to find where the Pandora button is. I know I could just memorize where it is and select it (I believe it's down one, over two or something like that) but it'd be great to have a button on the remote - similar to the Netflix button - that just launches Pandora.

I also have the Android app, so if there were a way to do it from that, I'd be happy with that solution as well.

Any ideas? Thanks!
post #7600 of 7609 Old 08-01-2015, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
intel i3, hd2500 graphic card
post #7601 of 7609 Old 08-01-2015, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
does anyone use oppo's 1/2x zoom setting? what would be a reason for using it? here's a look at a 16:9 screen with a 2.35 image:

if i understand it correctly, the 1/2x zoom would shrink a 16:9 by half creating a matted frame (black borders on all sides) - the resulting 16:9 image, compared to the original 16:9, would look like the darker shaded area below:

if oppo also offered a .75x zoom, the resulting 16:9 would be shrunk to the same height as a 2.35 image as shown below, no? if this is correct, it seems that a .75x zoom would be much more useful than a 1/2x zoom, especially for those who are interested in 2.35 screens or throw areas. is this something that can offered in a firmware update?

i guess the same thing could be accomplished with a motorized zoom pj, but the projector's i'm interested in don't offer this option.
post #7602 of 7609 Old 08-01-2015, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 263
^ 1/2 zoom is not really 0.5x, it seems to be closer to (but not exactly) 0.75x. However, as you said, it would definitely be more useful if it were exactly 0.75x for people with scope screens so they could leave the projector zoomed to fill the screen width.

it would be even better still if Oppo offered a variable zoom with fine steps (I had an old DVD player with that feature) BUT the big problem with any zoom on the Oppo is that it's disabled on many Blu-rays. It seems completely stupid but a Blu-ray disc can be authored to disable zoom, and ridiculous that Oppo doesn't ignore that flag on the disc. If your display (or a downstream video processor) can zoom the image regardless of any flags on a disc, why can't the player?
post #7603 of 7609 Old 08-01-2015, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
go to ebay. search for "jailbreak oppo"...pay the $90. enjoy your new found freedom of being able to stream your blu ray iso files from a nas in all their glorious splendor..
Well I contacted the guy on Ebay and bought the firmware. I put both files on a formatted USB stick and put it into USB Port 2 on the OPPO.

Nothing happened. Maybe nothing is uspposed to happen? I dunno....new to this.

I went into "settings">"device setup">the "Firmware Information" says BDP10X-77-0827 but "Firmware Upgrade" is grayed out and not selectable.

What do I do to upgrade the firmware on the OPPO from this stick....or is it done automatically?

The guy told me to "Reset Defaults" after installing the firmware. I have not done that as yet.

Thanks,
Russ
post #7604 of 7609 Old 08-01-2015, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
^ 1/2 zoom is not really 0.5x, it seems to be closer to (but not exactly) 0.75x. However, as you said, it would definitely be more useful if it were exactly 0.75x for people with scope screens so they could leave the projector zoomed to fill the screen width.

it would be even better still if Oppo offered a variable zoom with fine steps (I had an old DVD player with that feature) BUT the big problem with any zoom on the Oppo is that it's disabled on many Blu-rays. It seems completely stupid but a Blu-ray disc can be authored to disable zoom, and ridiculous that Oppo doesn't ignore that flag on the disc. If your display (or a downstream video processor) can zoom the image regardless of any flags on a disc, why can't the player?
thanks for the reply, very helpful.... a couple of more questions if you don't mind:

1. was not aware of the oppo's inability to zoom many blurays... i have converted all of my dvds, including blurays, to high quality mkv files, will i face the same bluray zoom problems when i try to stream them using the oppo?

2. i have a couple of scalers kicking around from the old days, i think at least one of them handles 1080p, if i used it in the chain after the oppo would it impact darbee settings and/or the great picture the oppo offers? the reason i ask is because the more i think about i believe the scaler might have a setting that will allow me to shrink the 16:9 image to 75%.

3. to be clear, you said that the oppo's 1/2x zoom is actually closer to .75 than .50, is that correct? i won't have access to my setup for a while so i can't confirm, but if memory serves the oppo was actually much closer to .50 than .75, the image was very small when i used 1/2x zoom. but you're saying that when you use 1/2x zoom the resulting 16:9 image is closer in size to the darker shaded area shown on the left than the right?

post #7605 of 7609 Old Yesterday, 04:37 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
It seems completely stupid but a Blu-ray disc can be authored to disable zoom, and ridiculous that Oppo doesn't ignore that flag on the disc. If your display (or a downstream video processor) can zoom the image regardless of any flags on a disc, why can't the player?
It's more than a flag, it's the java programming on some discs. The player has to play nice with this layer or proper playback is a problem. Once the image is on HDMI: no more java, so no trouble zooming. The player could do something similar, but it is extra effort and I am guessing technical obstacles with the current hardware prevent it. (But that's just a guess. OPPO has adjusted zooming functions in the past).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
1. was not aware of the oppo's inability to zoom many blurays... i have converted all of my dvds, including blurays, to high quality mkv files, will i face the same bluray zoom problems when i try to stream them using the oppo?
It will be no problem with DVDs or ripped Blu-rays. No java.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #7606 of 7609 Old Yesterday, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 263
^ I'd like to see variable zoom and mask (blacking out a user-defined number of pixels at each edge) implemented for HDMI 1 in the video chip they have downstream of the decoder. That should cirumvent any restrictions imposed by the disc, and it's a great option for constant height setups. Gives you the flexibility to handle odd aspect ratios in differnete ways (e.g. if you want you can zoom a little more and mask out content that spills over etc. ).

I would think the current 103D could do that, but otherwise any future player would benefit from what is essentially a built in video processor with most of the capabilities of a (relatively expensive) outboard unit.

For the current 1/2x zoom, I keep meaning to measure the exact factor. Maybe someone has done this already? I don't personally have any use for it except to shrink 16:9 material while a projector is zoomed for 2.35:1, so it would be great if Oppo would adjust it to produce the correct ratio. I don't mind ripping discs to MKV if that get's around the zooming restriction.

Last edited by kriktsemaj99; Yesterday at 06:03 AM.
post #7607 of 7609 Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Rubman View Post
Well I contacted the guy on Ebay and bought the firmware. I put both files on a formatted USB stick and put it into USB Port 2 on the OPPO.

Nothing happened. Maybe nothing is uspposed to happen? I dunno....new to this.

I went into "settings">"device setup">the "Firmware Information" says BDP10X-77-0827 but "Firmware Upgrade" is grayed out and not selectable.

What do I do to upgrade the firmware on the OPPO from this stick....or is it done automatically?

The guy told me to "Reset Defaults" after installing the firmware. I have not done that as yet.

Thanks,
Russ
His (completed) eBay listing has a step-by-step guide on how to install/activate the firmware.
_____
Axel

post #7608 of 7609 Unread Today, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
It's more than a flag, it's the java programming on some discs (that prevents zooming via the player) ...
I've always wondered, what's the motivation for disabling zoom at the player -- especially when the adjustment can be made downstream from the player regardless? Is it just happenstance, or is that the intended outcome?

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.

Last edited by mogrub; Today at 11:52 AM. Reason: typo
post #7609 of 7609 Unread Today, 12:17 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
I've always wondered, what's the motivation for disabling zoom at the player -- especially when the adjustment can be made downstream from the player regardless? Is it just happenstance, or is that the intended outcome?
As I said, I believe it is a hardware restriction, but perhaps they could accomplish it with extra effort. It was done on earlier players (I forget which models).

Blu-ray spec authors, hardware and firmware vendors: no one gave any thought to this sort of functionality. Too busy with menu button sounds, picture-in-picture, BD-Live and secondary audio.

-Bill

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page