Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 258 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #7711 of 7739 Old 08-20-2015, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thanks guys. I emailed Oppo too and they said to turn Darbee on and then set the resolution to 4Kx2K, then the panel(Vizio M70) won't do any scaling since it's being fed it's native res. Looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Like Dave mentioned, test it out for yourself and see what you prefer. One thing I'd like to add is that Darbee on the 103D is done at 1080p resolution, so you may see different results if you have a standalone Darbee that is fed a 4K input signal.

-KevinEpson 5020UB 1080p 3LCD projector/ GIK Acoustic room treatmentsScreen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 110" 16:9Marantz AV7702 pre/proWyred4Sound 5-channel ampOppo BDP-105/Darbee DarbletJTR 3TX LCRs, Single8 HT-LP surrounds, twin JTR Orbit Shifter LF subwoofers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7712 of 7739 Old 08-20-2015, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Ran into a issue with the new beta firmware. When i played back a BD backup with TrueHD audio, the oppo would not output bistream. It just decoded the audio itself and sent multi-channel Pcm to the receiver.

Returned to the previous official firmware, and no problems and receiver received the TrueHD bitstream ok.

DTS MA was fine however with the beta firmware.
post #7713 of 7739 Old 08-20-2015, 09:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Ran into a issue with the new beta firmware. When i played back a BD backup with TrueHD audio, the oppo would not output bistream. It just decoded the audio itself and sent multi-channel Pcm to the receiver.

Returned to the previous official firmware, and no problems and receiver received the TrueHD bitstream ok.

Just exactly how are you making said "BD backup"? (details)
Have you tried the same scenario with a commercial distributed Blu-ray disc?

This also could have been some kind of one-off glitch.
Did you try it multiple times across power cycles?
Did you try resetting the player to default settings?

I'd be curious if you re-installed the beta firmware, if it would mimic the same behavior as the previous time you installed it.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #7714 of 7739 Old 08-22-2015, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

This is the promised "fix" for dolby true hd and MKV's, and pretty much what I have been doing on my own up until now.
The oppo does a fine job if not better than most AVR's at decoding so can you honestly tell a difference ?

At most some true hd content when decoded to PCM drops a few DB in volume, I do not notice this drop with current beta firmware where as I would before just listen a little bit higher than what I otherwise would say at mv -15 instead of -20.

And when playing a disc it will bitstream dolby tracks as before, it only happens if it's using the mkv decoder.
billymerritt likes this.
post #7715 of 7739 Old 08-23-2015, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
beta?

My problem with beta! Playing mkv files fine for several days then last night mkv titles would no longer display sub titles, and when I stopped play video would freeze and only way to exit is use home to get back to Oppo menus. I tried reset defaults, powered on off, cleared persistent storage, but nothing helped. Reinstalled previous firmware and all is good, I only have few titles with ThruHD so just set to pcm which is easy to do. I did like when it was working to play TrueHd as pcm, but when it started freezing had to go back to original firmware. Maybe will try reinstall the beta later to see if it was a one time glitch. Will be monitoring this thread to see if more problems show up!

Bill
post #7716 of 7739 Old 08-23-2015, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 125
You should report what happened to Oppo.

post #7717 of 7739 Old 08-23-2015, 04:08 PM

Re-installed beta today and all is good for now, so will see how it goes before I report to Oppo.

Bill
post #7718 of 7739 Old 08-23-2015, 08:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymerritt View Post
My problem with beta! Playing mkv files fine for several days then last night mkv titles would no longer display sub titles, and when I stopped play video would freeze and only way to exit is use home to get back to Oppo menus. I tried reset defaults, powered on off, cleared persistent storage, but nothing helped. Reinstalled previous firmware and all is good, I only have few titles with ThruHD so just set to pcm which is easy to do. I did like when it was working to play TrueHd as pcm, but when it started freezing had to go back to original firmware. Maybe will try reinstall the beta later to see if it was a one time glitch. Will be monitoring this thread to see if more problems show up!
Subtitles in MKV has been broken since forever. Otherwise your description sounds a bit like a networking issue.
post #7719 of 7739 Old 08-24-2015, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Subtitles in MKV has been broken since forever...
I've recently discovered that Blu-ray (sup) 'graphics based' subtitles appear to work much better when played via an SMB network connection as opposed to a UPnP network connection

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #7720 of 7739 Old 08-24-2015, 04:52 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Subtitles in MKV has been broken since forever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I've recently discovered that Blu-ray (sup) 'graphics based' subtitles appear to work much better when played via an SMB network connection as opposed to a UPnP network connection
I haven't noticed either of these effects. (Although: I haven't tested much DLNA recently).

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #7721 of 7739 Old 08-24-2015, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMac View Post
Well, I just joined the club. My second PS3 just died and I can't see buying a new one since the novelty of video games wore off after about a week.

The 103D should be here Thursday. I can't wait!
Well, the 103D arrived Friday. I helped my son move over the weekend, so I haven't had a lot of time to spend with it.

I just plugged in the HDMI cable and cranked it up. Everything worked great at the factory settings. I plugged the Dish Satellite box into the rear HDMI input to be able to "Darbee" it's signal.

So far I've played SACD, DVD-A, CD, blu-ray, DVD and satellite with it. I've been very impressed. I tryied Darbee processing, finally ending up with high def set at 41%. I put it in split screen demo mode and asked my wife if she could see a difference and which she preferred. She felt both sides looked good, but gave the nod to the Darbee processing.

I'm glad I made the plunge. I bought the rack rail kit for it. I also plan to connect analog audio out and do a comparison.
post #7722 of 7739 Old 08-24-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Subtitles in MKV has been broken since forever. Otherwise your description sounds a bit like a networking issue.
Was not working with USB drive either! After re-installing beta still working fine as of today.

Bill

Last edited by billymerritt; 08-24-2015 at 08:48 AM. Reason: typo
post #7723 of 7739 Old 08-24-2015, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just got my 103D a couple weeks ago and have been playing around with it. I had two somewhat related questions for everyone:

1. Is there a way I can set different Darbee settings depending on the input? I connected my PC to the HDMI in in the back. The goal of this is to play PC games on my projector instead of my tiny monitor. Because I'm using it for games, I set Darbee to Gaming Mode instead of HDTV mode. I found that when I switched back to watch a Blu-Ray, it was still in Gaming Mode. I'm hoping the system can be smart enough to have the settings change depending on whether I'm using it as a Blu-Ray player or using the HDMI input in the back.

2. I've read on the forums that the general consensus seems to be to set Darbee at around 35% for HDTV/movies. Is there a similar consensus for games?

Thanks!
post #7724 of 7739 Old 08-24-2015, 04:31 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by dla26 View Post
1. Is there a way I can set different Darbee settings depending on the input?
Not automatically. There are user-defined presets in Picture Adjustment which include the Darbee settings, but you have to select them manually.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #7725 of 7739 Old 08-24-2015, 05:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 242
^ ^
I have mentioned in the past, there are 3 main inputs on the 10x players...
Blu-ray / Dvd / Apps / USB are in the most used one, but then there is also the HDMI-front, and HDMI-rear inputs.
It would be very cool to be able to assign picture setting #2 and #3 to the two HDMI inputs automatically.
I'm not sure if it's possible to do that, but it would be a great option.

I would especially love to be able calibrate the rear HDMI input separately, since I watch quite a bit of sports
from my cable STB that way, and many times the color/brightness/contest is way off on any given broadcast and it drives me nuts.
I'm not even that sensitive to colors being off a little, so for it to really bother me means it's off by a lot.
Brightness also being too low drives me nuts since it blacks out all the shadow details.
Of course it also varies a lot from channel to channel, but if the player had at least some flexibility, that would be cool.

As it stands right now, I use a different picture setting that I can access on my display when I want to switch to it,
but then that also becomes annoying when I forget that I switched it, and go to watch a Blu-ray and then realize
half way through the movie, the PQ was off because I was on the wrong setting. *sighhh*

Of course all that wouldn't even be an issue if the broadcasters and cable STBs would use properly calibrated settings
that would be universally standard, but that hasn't ever been a priority and I'm not sure it ever will be.
Perhaps they will get their heads out of their proverbial asses once everyone switches to 4k broadcasting,
but that of course won't be mainstream for many years to come. Probably after I'm dead and gone.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #7726 of 7739 Old 08-25-2015, 12:36 PM

Just posing a question to those who are on the current beta firmware and using the 103d for Netflix.

Is it just me or have they really fixed the ghosting issue?
As far as I can tell Netflix just took a giant leap in image quality.
Still not quite blueray but now good enough that I keep asking myself why I'm using the plasma and not the projector..
post #7727 of 7739 Old 08-25-2015, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
That is listed as one of the things this beta fixes so the answer to your question is 'yes'.

post #7728 of 7739 Old 08-25-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
That is listed as one of the things this beta fixes so the answer to your question is 'yes'.
Guess since its oppo yea.
I'm just so used to having firmware updates that are supposed to fix something but doesn't and gives you 3 new problems in addition :P
Not been like this with oppo though.
post #7729 of 7739 Old 08-25-2015, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello. I am using the oppo android app on my 103D and works awesome.
Just one inquiry: when I connect the oppo using the android application via network to my pc and browse its video folders, when the folder has lots of subfolders, the app only shows certain number of these folders and not all of them. It seems like if there is some quantity limit showing folders when browsing from the app (not when I use the current oppo browse app on the tv or projector screen).
Any one could tell me if this is normal or is there any way to let the application show all the folders in stead of a few ones? Thanks
post #7730 of 7739 Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 1
a couple of questions:

1. is there a remote control shortcut that will take you to the movie file folder for example, or a setting that allows to set a folder as the default destination when selecting the home button?

2. is there an issue with netflix and the oppo 103d? i have a fast internet connection and can stream netflix fine on my computer, always defaults to the highest resolution, and forwarding through a selection is always fast... but with the 103d the resolution is lacking, trying to forward through a selection either takes forever or can lock up the 103d... i have it hardwired via an ethernet cable and the baud rate setting is the highest...

thanks!
post #7731 of 7739 Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
a couple of questions:

1. is there a remote control shortcut that will take you to the movie file folder for example, or a setting that allows to set a folder as the default destination when selecting the home button?
Nope

Quote:
2. is there an issue with netflix and the oppo 103d? i have a fast internet connection and can stream netflix fine on my computer, always defaults to the highest resolution, and forwarding through a selection is always fast... but with the 103d the resolution is lacking, trying to forward through a selection either takes forever or can lock up the 103d... i have it hardwired via an ethernet cable and the baud rate setting is the highest...

thanks!
Updated to the newest beta firmware?
post #7732 of 7739 Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can anyone tell me if this version is better than the 103 for me specifically? I am in a hurry and trying to order overnight and trying to decide between this one and the 103. I have a 4k JS8500 Samsung 65" TV mated with a Paradigm Soundscape Soundbar that only does Optical 5.1 DTS. I am deciding between getting the 103 or 103D and another PS4. Since I do not have a home theater system with hdmi's DTS MA and other lossless formats, I didn't know if this one would benefit me over a PS4 .. I want the best sound and video possible. I know I am limited too by my sound bar and sub, but I live in an apartment so that's what my sound will be for a few years.

All in all, I just want to know if the Darbee enhancements really make a big difference over the regular 103 player for blu-ray watching.

Thanks

Selling Over 1100 Blu Ray Movies here:http://www.avsforum.com/forum/213-ph...llections.html

Last edited by iStorm; Yesterday at 10:56 AM.
post #7733 of 7739 Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStorm View Post
Can anyone tell me if this version is better than the 103 for me specifically? I am in a hurry and trying to order overnight and trying to decide between this one and the 103. I have a 4k JS8500 Samsung 65" TV mated with a Paradigm Soundscape Soundbar that only does Optical 5.1 DTS. I am deciding between getting the 103 or 103D and another PS4. Since I do not have a home theater system with hdmi's DTS MA and other lossless formats, I didn't know if this one would benefit me over a PS4 .. I want the best sound and video possible. I know I am limited too by my sound bar and sub, but I live in an apartment so that's what my sound will be for a few years.

All in all, I just want to know if the Darbee enhancements really make a big difference over the regular 103 player for blu-ray watching.

Thanks
My opinion is that it makes about a $100 difference

post #7734 of 7739 Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
My opinion is that it makes about a $100 difference

Lol, I really need to know if it is worth that 100 dollar difference though because I have a 103 readily available and the 103D will take longer to get to me.

Selling Over 1100 Blu Ray Movies here:http://www.avsforum.com/forum/213-ph...llections.html
post #7735 of 7739 Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Lol, I really need to know if it is worth that 100 dollar difference though because I have a 103 readily available and the 103D will take longer to get to me.
I think that it is 'worth' EXACTLY the 100 dollar price difference, not a dollar more, not a dollar less
post #7736 of 7739 Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
I think that it is 'worth' EXACTLY the 100 dollar price difference, not a dollar more, not a dollar less
Okay well I already ordered it because I knew if I didn't I might regret it later and it is more to add later than now. Thanks

post #7737 of 7739 Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Okay well I already ordered it because I knew if I didn't I might regret it later and it is more to add later than now. Thanks
You did the right thing!
DougMac, iStorm and Billerator like this.
post #7738 of 7739 Unread Today, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Your definitely going to love it. It's the best player I've owned and I like it much better then just the 103. The darbee does make a difference.
post #7739 of 7739 Unread Today, 08:58 AM

Quote:
One thing I can think of is that the darbee version has slighlty newer hdmi output circuit so it can output 4k@60hz where as the regular 103 only can do 4k@30hz. But I'm only 80% sure of that and have no 4k or UHD screen to test myself.

Personally I love the darbee effect (at a modest setting 35%-40%)
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page