Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 259 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #7741 of 7754 Old 08-29-2015, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 1244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Does anybody know if you can run a blu ray movie to 2 different TVs at the same time? I want to do side by side comparisons.

Yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7742 of 7754 Old 08-30-2015, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I finally received my 103 D and it blows everything else out of the water that I've ever owned.

I'm connecting it to my Denon X1200 receiver and home theater setup. I used the HDMI in 2 on my 103d and HDMI in on the receiver for blu ray.

For some reason every time I boot up the Oppo, if says there is no ARC available on my setup. I have my receiver connected to my 65JS8500 TV via ARC and made sure ARC was turned on, on my TV and receiver.

Also I mainly just watch blu rays on this. I'm using a 5.1 surround sound and want to get the best audio and video possible. Is there a post with the best settings for a 4k Tv?

Finally, I tried messing with Darbee and it show's the color red to do split screen so you can see the difference. I pressed the red button on the remote and it does nothing? I'm just trying to find a sweet spot for darbee for strictly blu ray watching.

Thanks in advance.
post #7743 of 7754 Old 08-30-2015, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStorm View Post
I finally received my 103 D and it blows everything else out of the water that I've ever owned.

I'm connecting it to my Denon X1200 receiver and home theater setup. I used the HDMI in 2 on my 103d and HDMI in on the receiver for blu ray.

Finally, I tried messing with Darbee and it show's the color red to do split screen so you can see the difference. I pressed the red button on the remote and it does nothing? I'm just trying to find a sweet spot for darbee for strictly blu ray watching.

Thanks in advance.
Darbee is only functional on the hdmi 1 output of your 103D.
bluer101 and iStorm like this.
post #7744 of 7754 Old Today, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm thinking of replacing my 83SE with a 103 or 103D, not because there is anything wrong with my 83SE but because, well you know. The reasons I'm using to justify it is full IP control and video processing (particularly Darbee) for my other video sources including a DirecTV HR34, AppleTV and Mac Mini. Those of you that own one, do you run them through the Oppo like this and if so do you notice it providing an improvement in picture quality? I probably wouldn't use the Darbee for BluRay per se, so could get by with the 103, but from what I can tell it can really make a difference on other HD and SD sources, like the HR34 for example. I don't have 4k.

What are you finding with your setup?

speeddeacon

Last edited by speeddeacon; Today at 12:13 PM.
post #7745 of 7754 Old Today, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddeacon View Post
I'm thinking of replacing my 83SE with a 103 or 103D, not because there is anything wrong with my 83SE but because, well you know. The reasons I'm using to justify it is full IP control and video processing (particularly Darbee) for my other video sources including a DirecTV HR34, AppleTV and Mac Mini. Those of you that own one, do you run them through the Oppo like this and if so do you notice it providing an improvement in picture quality? I probably wouldn't use the Darbee for BluRay per se, so could get by with the 103, but from what I can tell it can really make a difference on other HD and SD sources, like the HR34 for example. I don't have 4k.

I don't find the Darbee processing to be particularly valuable, but I prefer the 103D for other reasons. (DSD over HDMI-1, lack of undefeatable NR from Qdeo on HDMI-1).
post #7746 of 7754 Old Today, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddeacon View Post

There are a lot of nice features the 10x series of players offers over the 8x and 9x series.
It really all comes down to what features you will enjoy the most.
Quite honestly, if those two features are the only ones you can come up with to make it worth the upgrade,
then you may be overspending just for the sake of satisfying the "upgrade itch".

I really like what Darbee does for pic enhancement, but at the same time, there are quite a few variables to consider.
For me personally, I like it MOST for Blu-ray, and least for things like cab/sat/broadcast tv.
For my own cable service, I think the PQ to start with is very mediocre by today's standards,
and then when I try to use Darbee to enhance it, it's like it enhances all the bad stuff with the good stuff.
Others' experiences may be different.
However when I play a Blu-ray or equivalent type content, that is where I think Darbee does the best job
of enhancing an already stellar pic, assuming the BD being played does have top notch PQ already.
I also think it's mostly best for bigger displays, especially projection systems.

I do run my cable tv through a BDP-105D in my media room, and it does help a little with the pic quality,
even without using Darbee, but the difference isn't very much.
It's a nice option to have when you don't have aren't using another device (like and avr or preamp or processor) to run the video through.

Another option of course is to just buy a stand alone Darbee processor to add to your existing system.
Then again, perhaps selling the 83SE and using the proceeds from that toward a 10x player may be about the same oop expense.
The resale value of Oppo players is quite good.
Yet another thing to consider, is if you could wait another 1-2 years, then hopefully Oppo may release
a 4k player with even more bells and whistles. Decisions decisions...

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #7747 of 7754 Old Today, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 29
My Oppo will NOT display any chapter markers when playing MKV and MP4 files no matter how I encode them! It will break them into 10 chapters with MKV and 2 chapters with MP4 per Oppo's default setting. All original chapters are ignored, but I have absolutely ZERO problems with chapter markers displaying while playing them anywhere else.
This is absurd and I have been wasting many MANY hours trying to encode my files to both MKV and MP-4 using Handbrake. The only files that will play correctly is if I rip them through MakeMKV but that's a direct conversion (Big files).

On Handbrake, I tried:
Filter>Container: both MKV and MP4
Video>Video Codec: H.264 (x264)
Framerate (FPS): Same as source
Constant Framerate, Quality RF 17
also tried Variable Framerate
Optimize Video>x264 Preset: Slower
x264 Tune: Animation, Film
H.264 Profile: High>Level: 4.1
Chapter Markers: Create chapter markers Checked

When I play MP4 files, it breaks into two big chapters (whole movie dissects into only two chapters), and MKV (showed as AVC on info) will default/break into 10 chapters. How do you guys get this to function all of its original chapter markers???? I'm frickin' up to my neck with this Oppo player!
post #7748 of 7754 Old Today, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
There are a lot of nice features the 10x series of players offers over the 8x and 9x series.
It really all comes down to what features you will enjoy the most.
Quite honestly, if those two features are the only ones you can come up with to make it worth the upgrade,
then you may be overspending just for the sake of satisfying the "upgrade itch".
No doubt this is true. I have control via Roomie using an IR controller so it's no big deal, just one of my few legacy products in my system that doesn't have IP control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
I really like what Darbee does for pic enhancement, but at the same time, there are quite a few variables to consider.
For me personally, I like it MOST for Blu-ray, and least for things like cab/sat/broadcast tv.
For my own cable service, I think the PQ to start with is very mediocre by today's standards,
and then when I try to use Darbee to enhance it, it's like it enhances all the bad stuff with the good stuff.
Others' experiences may be different.
However when I play a Blu-ray or equivalent type content, that is where I think Darbee does the best job
of enhancing an already stellar pic, assuming the BD being played does have top notch PQ already.
I also think it's mostly best for bigger displays, especially projection systems.

I do run my cable tv through a BDP-105D in my media room, and it does help a little with the pic quality,
even without using Darbee, but the difference isn't very much.
It's a nice option to have when you don't have aren't using another device (like and avr or preamp or processor) to run the video through.

Another option of course is to just buy a stand alone Darbee processor to add to your existing system.
Then again, perhaps selling the 83SE and using the proceeds from that toward a 10x player may be about the same oop expense.
The resale value of Oppo players is quite good.
Yet another thing to consider, is if you could wait another 1-2 years, then hopefully Oppo may release
a 4k player with even more bells and whistles. Decisions decisions...
That's interesting, Smarty, from my research I found most feel Darbee helped lower resolution sources more than BluRay so I appreciate your honesty. It will be connected to a projector throwing an image on a 120" screen so every little bit of improvement would be noticeable. I've been satisfied with the PQ of the 83SE but have never compared the newer models so don't know how much better it could be. DirecTV has a lot of 720p and 1080i HD so that was my main reason for asking about the Darbee. Sounds like holding out for the next generation is really the best options, but still want to hear what anyone has to say.

speeddeacon
post #7749 of 7754 Unread Today, 06:56 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
When I play MP4 files, it breaks into two big chapters (whole movie dissects into only two chapters), and MKV (showed as AVC on info) will default/break into 10 chapters. How do you guys get this to function all of its original chapter markers???? I'm frickin' up to my neck with this Oppo player!
Typically I do MakeMKV and then HandBrake to produce a compressed MKV. Chapters work as expected. I have no experience with MP4.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #7750 of 7754 Unread Today, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Typically I do MakeMKV and then HandBrake to produce a compressed MKV. Chapters work as expected. I have no experience with MP4.

-Bill
I do the same as described but Oppo doesn't recognize all the original chapters but instead divides all my MKV (makeMKV to Handbrake) files into 10 chapters. On MP4 files, it divides to only two chapters. I don't get how the other members here got their MakeMkv>Handbrake files to play with all the original chapter markers.
Again, the only way for Mkv files to handle their original chapter markers correctly with Oppo is to play a freshly converted original file by MakeMkv before processing through Handbrake.
post #7751 of 7754 Unread Today, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

post #7752 of 7754 Unread Today, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread

Really close to buying a 103d after my current player decided to start dropping audio and then froze on me again today while watching mad max. I'm over it. Before I do I have a few questions for current owners...

1. How is the reliability? Any need to purchase an extended warranty?

2. Related to #1 , have folks with older oppo players experienced any issues? If so, what?

3. Concerning connections: I currently have a PS3, dvr, and a br player (which the 103d would replace) all connected via hdmi to a denon x4000 and a single hdmi from the denon out to the TV.
How would I route the hdmi cables if I wanted to send video from everything through the oppo to take advantage of the Darbee? Would I take the hdmi out of the denon into the oppo but still need to use both hdmi outs, one to the TV and one back to the denon for audio? Am I thinking about this right?

I'll probably have more questions, but I'll start with these for now. Thanks in advance!

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
post #7753 of 7754 Unread Today, 08:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Really close to buying a 103d after my current player decided to start dropping audio and then froze on me again today while watching mad max. I'm over it. Before I do I have a few questions for current owners...

1. How is the reliability? Any need to purchase an extended warranty?

2. Related to #1 , have folks with older oppo players experienced any issues? If so, what?

3. Concerning connections: I currently have a PS3, dvr, and a br player (which the 103d would replace) all connected via hdmi to a denon x4000 and a single hdmi from the denon out to the TV.
How would I route the hdmi cables if I wanted to send video from everything through the oppo to take advantage of the Darbee? Would I take the hdmi out of the denon into the oppo but still need to use both hdmi outs, one to the TV and one back to the denon for audio? Am I thinking about this right?

I'll probably have more questions, but I'll start with these for now. Thanks in advance!

1) IMHO, there is no need to purchase an extended warranty.
The player has a nice full 2 year warranty when purchased, and after that warranty expires, Oppo has excellent pricing
on out of warranty repair, and IIRC, you can still purchase an extended warranty after your original warranty expires.

2)I'm sure lots of people have had some issues here and there, but no product out there is perfect.
There will always be a certain percentage of devices that have issues, and that is why it is important to buy a
product with a good warranty and customer support.
In the case of Oppo Digital, they are at the very top in customer satisfaction and have top notch support.
Their products are also very reliable, have longevity to their lifespan, are built and engineered to high standards,
and also have a very high resale, even after they have been bought and used for several years.
In the rare case that you do buy one of their players and experience an issue,
as said above, you would be taken care of better than any other mainstream electronics manufacturer out there.
I know that may be laying it on a little thick, but quite honestly, enough can't be said about their customer service and
support and reliability. They really are the best.

3) It really all depends.
First, you probably won't be able to route a/v from your Denon into the Oppo and then back out to the Denon.
That will create a nasty loop where you won't get proper a/v.
I am not a big gamer and don't own a PS3, but the consensus that I have read from others, is that you really don't
need to route your PS3 through the player. Most say that gaming doesn't benefit from the player processing very much,
and not only that, but you may create a/v lag which could screw with your gaming experience.
It's better to route the PS3 though as few destinations as possible.
You're probably good with routing just through the Denon only.

As for the DVR, and possibly any other cable/sat stb, you can route that through one of the 2 HDMI inputs that the player offers.
Very similar to how you Denon might work in the same way, you would route it though the player,
and when you want to view that source through the player, you will have to switch the input of the player
to HDMI-FRONT or HDMI-REAR depending on where you have it connected and which source you want to view.
Keep in mind also, that when using this method, you do have to have the player turned on.
So if you want to route your DVR through the player, connect it to the rear HDMI input of the player,
and then the HDMI out from the player would go into your Denon, and then the HDMI out from your Denon into your TV.

^ This is probably the very same way you have your old BD player set up, but just the only difference being that
you are sending the DVR into the player instead of into the Denon.
ambesolman likes this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #7754 of 7754 Unread Today, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Thanks @Smarty-pants . I've read a lot of great things over the past few years about oppo's cust. support and it's one of the main reasons for considering this player.

I'm not a big gamer so it's not a big deal if it runs through Darbee or not. I don't have any noticeable lag now so no point in adding any.

Thanks for clearing up the wiring situation for me. I didn't know if passing the signal from the oppo through the avr would degrade anything, but since I have all the picture enhancements off anyway I guess it shouldn't matter and will just pass the pic with Darbee goodness unmolested. I was planning on waiting to try and find one used, but I'm not seeing one in the classifieds or on agon so I may just go ahead and pull the trigger.

Thanks for the help!

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page