Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 280 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 542Likes

Old 01-28-2016, 01:43 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Liked: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by REALHD View Post
Hey guys,
I finally got my Oppo BDP-103D EU model, I must say really really truly amazing, thanks for answering my questions.
I do have a few questions about the video setup, I will only watch (untouched) Blu-ray's so for me it's the most important to have the best viewing experience staying close to the original. HDM1 is connected to my Panasonic Plasma VT50 (55" calibrated) HDMI2 is connected to my Denon AVR.
The FAQ has some recommendations:

What are the recommended settings for the OPPO BDP-103?

-Bill
ArthurL likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2016, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 159
RGB PC may be the biggest color space but it is wrong for movies. It gives you blacker than black and whiter than white for movies which is generally not what you want since movie encoding doesn't use these. As far as other color space and deep color selections you really need a test disc like Spears and Munsil to see which one works best for your specific display.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:33 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 1341
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
RGB PC may be the biggest color space but it is wrong for movies. It gives you blacker than black and whiter than white for movies which is generally not what you want since movie encoding doesn't use these. As far as other color space and deep color selections you really need a test disc like Spears and Munsil to see which one works best for your specific display.
Hang on. You've kind of stated this backwards.

RGB PC Level encodes Black as 0 and Reference White as 254. Since there's no data range either below 0 or above 254 that means there's no place in the encoding to pass pixel values in either the Blacker Than Black or Peak White data ranges, both of which *ARE* used when making movie transfers.

However your conclusion is correct. You do not want to use RGB PC Level unless that's the only output format you can make work with your display. Typically this would be because you are trying to use a computer monitor which offers no flexibility to handle the more normal formats.

The reasons you don't want to use RGB PC Level is that (1) it can not carry either Blacker Than Black or Peak White pixel values, and (2) it has more Luma steps between Black and Reference White than were expected when the transfer was created. This results in rounding errors, which can show as banding.

--------------------------------

RGB Video Level, YCbCr 4:4:4, and YCbCr 4:2:2 output from the OPPO all pass both the Blacker Than Black and Peak White data ranges, and have the expected number of steps between Black and Reference White. (Black is encoded as 16, and Reference White as 235. The range 0-15 is the Blacker Than Black data. The range 236-254 is the Peak White data.)

YCbCr 4:4:4 is the default choice for connections between HDMI devices, and is definitely the one you should start with until you have time to explore with a calibration disc. Only change away from it if you find good reason to do so as part of that.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 01-28-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Output resolution: 1080p. Don't use "Auto" settings if you can avoid it because that leaves things to be negotiated during handshake which can sometimes cause problems. Fixing your settings wherever possible is best.

1080p24: Forced for the same reason as 1080p output resolution.

Colour space: YCbCr 4:4:4. Don't use RGB PC level because that delivers black and white settings intended for computer graphics on a computer monitor and video material is mastered for different black and white settings. Use the other RGB setting if you want to use RGB. If you leave it at Auto it defaults to YCbCr 4:4:4 which I find gives me the best results on my older Panasonic V20A plasma anyway. You can also try YCbCr 4:2:2 but you can't get Deep Colour output with that setting. I like 4:4:4 and Deep Colour more than 4:2:2 without Deep Colour but it is a very small difference on my display.

Deep colour: I use 36 bits. I think it makes a very small difference with my display.

De-interlacing mode: Auto. This is the one time I think Auto is preferable because the right setting depends on how the disc you're playing is mastered rather than on the connection between player and display.

My display also does not do 3D so I just leave the 3D settings at their defaults since there isn't a specific "Off" option.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

I just compare RGB PC with YCbCr 4:4:4.
Then compare YCbCr 4:4:4 with RGB video level.
The background image of setup menu already gives more black details when using YCbCr 4:4:4 and RGB video level. (thank you Oppo of being so smart to use a background image with different black colourshapes)
RGB PC is more black so less black details. So thanks for the hint, i switched back from 'RGB PC level' to 'RGB video level'. (i check it on a LG 42PG3000 HDready plasma tv).
I prefer RGB because that's one conversion step less, so 'RGB video level' all the way here.

Also RGB video level, because of this search result.

Last edited by jeroensky; 01-30-2016 at 03:28 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:08 AM
Read the FAQ!

^The HDMI handshake can detect automatically whether RGB data format is in use (as opposed to YCbCr), but it can *NOT* determine whether RGB PC Level or RGB Video Level is in use.

If you want to use RGB, you must make a *MANUAL* selection -- in BOTH devices -- either end of the HDMI cable -- as to which flavor of RGB is in USE. Most receiving devices will default to expecting RGB Video Level if RGB is in use. If you have a mismatch of RGB choice settings at either end of the cable than the video will be screwed up -- most easily noticed because either black details are lost or near black scenes are washed out gray (depending on which way around you have the mismatch).

In the receiving device, look for a setting related to "blacks" that has just two choices. There is no agreement among manufacturers about what to call such a setting, or its two choices, so this may take some detective work. For this setting in particular, names like "normal" or "enhanced" may not mean AT ALL what you think they mean.

A good test of whether you have a mismatch is to select YCbCr 4:4:4 and adjust the video levels in your display to get it right -- particularly the Brightness setting in the display which controls its levels near Black. Use a calibration disc for best results.

Now switch to RGB -- either flavor. If you discover you now have to make a substantial change in the Brightness setting in the display to get blacks looking right again, odds are you have a mismatch in choice of which RGB flavor is in use on either side of the cable.

CAUTION: Some displays *MISTAKENLY* alter how they render YCbCr video input when that "blacks" setting in the display is changed. That setting *SHOULD* only alter how they render RGB video input. Check this in your display by getting YCbCr set up properly and then flipping that setting in the display. If blacks are now screwed up then the programming in your display has this mistake. This is a royal pain as now you have to figure out which setting is correct for normal handling of YCbCr input. Again, the names used for the two choices in the display may be misleading! Check the owner's thread here for your model of display looking for posts from people who understand display video calibration, and see if you can get a trustworthy answer.

Again. I strongly recommend you do NOT use RGB PC Level output from the OPPO unless that's the ONLY choice that you can make work properly with your display -- which typically will only happen if you are trying to use a computer monitor as your display and it offers no flexibility.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 01-29-2016, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,
thank you for the input and your advise, much appreciated.

These are settings that I have now :

Dual HDMI Output : Split A/V
3D Output : N/A
3D Setting : N/A
TV Aspect Ratio : 16:9 Wide / Auto
TV System : Multi system
Output Resolution : 1080p
1080p24 Output : Forced
4Kx2K Output : Auto (50/60Hz) shouldn't matter the VT50 does not support 4K

HDMI Options

Color Space HDM1 : YCbCr 4:4:4
Color Space HDM2 : YCbCr 4:4:4
Deep Color HDM1 : Off
Deep Color HDM2 : Off
De-interlacing Mode : Auto

From what I read/understand there are no Blu-ray's discs/content that supports deep color and in general recommend to turn off the setting.

Last edited by REALHD; 01-29-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by REALHD View Post
…From what I read/understand there are no Blu-ray's discs/content that supports deep color and in general recommend to turn off the setting.
You're right, no BD discs support deep colour.

Still, the manual for my 105 states "At this time, no disc is encoded with Deep Colour. Enabling Deep Colour will not magically make colours richer, but will help preserve the maximum precision as a result of video processing and picture control adjustment."

Enabling Deep Colour may or may not make a difference on your display. I have an older Panasonic plasma than you, a V20 model which has been professionally calibrated, and I do see a slight difference which I think is an improvement. If you see a difference it will be slight, perhaps even very slight, but there are reasons for giving Deep Colour a go and the manual does state what they are. The downside is that the signal being passed to your display takes more bandwidth with Deep Colour on and that may be an issue with some HDMI connections.

I'd say give it a go but don't expect anything. You may get something, it isn't guaranteed, but you definitely won't get a big improvement. If you get something you may or may not think it's worth it but Oppo put the option in there for a reason and it does deliver a slight benefit for some people.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:58 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ 1080p/24 Output FORCED does the same thing as AUTO for most folks. In both cases, you will only get 1080p/24 output if the content is already /24. (If the content is /60, then the output will also be /60, regardless of whether you have FORCED set.)

The difference is that AUTO will revert 1080p/24 content to 1080p/60 output if the next device in the HDMI chain responds to the HDMI handshake saying it can not accept 1080p/24 input. Whereas FORCED will send 1080p/24 *ANYWAY* even if the next device says it can't accept it.

FORCED was added as an option to work around issues with certain projectors which were perfectly capable of handling 1080p/24 input but failed to disclose that properly during the HDMI handshake.
--Bob

Old 01-31-2016, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I think this a Simple question but I'm having trouble finding the answer. Im a very happy new owner of a 103d and I'm looking for a 5 digit remote code to use with my Denon x7200. I've spent the last hour going through the owners manual and the online manual, as well as searching this thread. I've found all the hex codes but I'm looking for a basic 5 digit code. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Is there any method to programmatically switch the OPPO 103D to 3D Side-by-Side mode via IP. I use KODI with the CinemaVision add-on which works great for 2D. However, if I am playing a SBS 3D movie file, I have to manually press the Options button and then select Side-by-Side to have the OPPO convert it to the format my BenQ W1080ST projector detects. This works great, but I wish there was a method to make an IP based call to the OPPO to issue commands to perform these "remote control actions" so that it didn't take away from the Cinema immersion experience.

After searching the thread it looks like the current IP protocol used is not open. What would be great is if you could send commands via web interface, e.g. URL similar to how I can control my Philips HUE lighting.

It seems the best option may be to use a Harmony remote to sequence the various remote commands. I am just looking for some confirmation if this is the best approach based on current functionality. If so, I will just invest in a Harmony remote (suggestions welcome on which model) and then I would have to figure out the best way to put a video bumper in the CinemaVision sequence to give me time to press the Harmony button to execute the remote control commands to switch to 3D SBS mode.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisedave View Post
I think this a Simple question but I'm having trouble finding the answer. Im a very happy new owner of a 103d and I'm looking for a 5 digit remote code to use with my Denon x7200. I've spent the last hour going through the owners manual and the online manual, as well as searching this thread. I've found all the hex codes but I'm looking for a basic 5 digit code. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.
I have a new 6200 and had the same question. I found a site that listed the five digit code for Oppo. But, it didn't seem to work for my model 93. The five digit code I found was 32545.

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX7200W/p...resetCodes.pdf
Old 02-01-2016, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Quoted: 8014 Post(s)
Liked: 6092
Is there any way to switch the input without the remote? My remote broke and I'm stuck on my cable. I've tried the oppo remote app but it is unable to locate my player when searching.

65KS9800 *new*. 65JS9500 4K HDR and lots of it!
MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN

Review of KS9800vsJS9500 w/side by side pix: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post45720113
Old 02-01-2016, 12:42 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Liked: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Is there any way to switch the input without the remote? My remote broke and I'm stuck on my cable. I've tried the oppo remote app but it is unable to locate my player when searching.
Don't think so. Contact OPPO to get a replacement remote.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 02-01-2016, 03:56 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
EDITED: Had to correct the initial recovery procedure here.

1) Power on the player
2) Once the player has finished booting up (you are now on your Cable TV Input), press Tray Button on the Front Panel to open the tray.
3) Remove any disc that might be in the Tray.
4) Now press Tray Button on the Front Panel to close the tray.
5) Wait a moment for the player to check and determine there is not actually a disc in the tray.
6) Press Play button on the Front Panel.

This will get you into Setup menu. Then, using the buttons on Front Panel you can navigate to Setup > Device Setup > Power On Input and change that to Blu-ray player. Power cycle the player and you'll be back to normal Blu-ray player functionality.

Within Setup (using the Front Panel buttons), you can also adjust your Network settings so that the OPPO iOS or Android MediaControl app can access the player. Once you do that, you can then do all of the normal Remote functions via the app.

If you like to tinker, you can also send commands to the player via the Serial Port on the back panel, including Input selection.

NOTE: Blu-ray Player is the only Input choice which can be commanded directly within the Setup menu.

-----------------------------------

As for your existing remote, be sure to try new batteries, taking care that both are inserted the correct way around. Even if you just changed batteries, the ones you just used could be faulty.

Sometimes the player can't see the remote if the room is flooded with IR light. This might happen, for example, if you have a 3D display that is using IR emitters to sync its active, goofy 3D glasses.

It is also possible that you accidentally changed the setting either in the Remote or in the player as to which of the 3 command sets from the Remote is in use. To fix this, power up the player. Open the Tray using the Front Panel button. While the Tray is still open, press and hold the Enter button on the Remote for a few seconds. The player will switch itself to whichever command set is selected by the switch in the battery compartment of the Remote.

NOTE: If your Remote is truly dead, OPPO can sell you a replacement for just a few bucks.
--Bob
ray0414 likes this.

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 02-01-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thank you Bob I will give this a try.

Let's just say my remote suffered water damage that was out of my control and will no longer work.

I see amazon sells them for a pretty penny, are you suggesting that going through oppo directly is cheaper?

Review of KS9800vsJS9500 w/side by side pix: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post45720113
Old 02-01-2016, 05:09 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:

Let's just say my remote suffered water damage that was out of my control and will no longer work.

I see amazon sells them for a pretty penny, are you suggesting that going through oppo directly is cheaper?
Get one direct from Oppo: Replacement Oppo remotes.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Ah. Another example of an OPPO user trying to sing along in the shower while using the remote as his "karaoke mic"?

I believe Tech Support refers to this as Remote Control failure type #7 .

-----------------------------------------

Yeah the replacement remotes -- purchased direct from the OPPO Digital web site -- are not expensive. Indeed if you call Tech Support and give them a funny enough tale of what REALLY happened, they might take pity on you and pop one in the mail for free.
--Bob

Old 02-01-2016, 10:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Ah. Another example of an OPPO user trying to sing along in the shower while using the remote as his "karaoke mic"?

I believe Tech Support refers to this as Remote Control failure type #7 .

-----------------------------------------

Yeah the replacement remotes -- purchased direct from the OPPO Digital web site -- are not expensive. Indeed if you call Tech Support and give them a funny enough tale of what REALLY happened, they might take pity on you and pop one in the mail for free.
--Bob

If I told you guys what happened to my remote, i'm not sure any of you would believe me

Old 02-01-2016, 10:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Get one direct from Oppo: Replacement Oppo remotes.
Wow thank you! That is WAY cheaper than amazon or ebay!

Old 02-02-2016, 04:21 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
If I told you guys what happened to my remote, i'm not sure any of you would believe me
As long as you don't tell us your pet snail picked it up and dropped it into the dog's water dish, you might be surprised what we might believe...
Old 02-02-2016, 04:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
Well, we're waiting. Spill it.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Modicen likes this.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Came home from work, and the remotes, which I keep on the couch, we're completely covered in cat puke. Like thick food as if he didn't even both to chew the food before he swallowed it. Completely engulfed. And of course only the oppo remote. Washing it off made it look better, but it still wouldn't work

The frustrating part is having wood floors. Cat puke on a wood floor is an easy cleanup. But no. They always choose any place NOT on the wood floor.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 215
kriktsemaj99 and ray0414 like this.

Projector & Screen: Benq W1070 Elite Screens 100" Electric Video: Oppo 103d Audio: Denon 4520ci Speakers: Infinity RS5 (LW L C R RW) Infinity RS1 (LH RH) Infinity Beta ES250 (SL SR) Subwoofers: 2 SI18d4 Martycubes with iNuke3000dsp and 2 Infinity BU120 Shakers: 4 ADX shakers with Dayton SA230 amp

My Builds--Media console build----Martycube build----ADX Bass Shaker Install
Old 02-02-2016, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Holy crap! Need eye bleach!

Last edited by CactusJack; 02-02-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:08 AM
Read the FAQ!

Umm, OK. That would be a #3 , then.
--Bob
gsr, Keenan and ray0414 like this.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just try a hair dryer, after the vomit is dry scrape it off By the way, no Oppo remotes, so that is good.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

By the way, another member was told by oppo support that once the 4k oppos hit they will be discontinuing the 1080p models. This could be good news about the prices if the 4K versions "replace" the 1080p models.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Umm, OK. That would be a #3 , then.
--Bob
At least it wasn't a #2 .

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc