Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 292 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 529Likes

post #8731 of 8752 Old 07-19-2016, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHouck View Post
Is there a region free hack for the Oppo103D? I recall doing something pretty simple to make an older OPPO region 3.

If this is answered somewhere in here I'd appreciate a link.
I suggest you have a look at wmcclain's Unofficial OPPO BDP-103 Frequently Asked Questions

EDIT: The man himself has beaten me to it

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8732 of 8752 Old 07-19-2016, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Please excuse me if this has been answered before.
I wish to use a HDMI splitter coming from my Dish hopper, with one hdmi going directly to my TV and the second HDMI to the 'HDMI IN' on the 103D.
I see a number of options for splitters. Some powered, some just simple cable adapters with male HDMI in and two female HDMI connections out.
When watching regular TV--news, etc.-- I would like to bypass the Oppo. When watching HBO movies, sports, etc. I would like to be able to use the 103D's 4K conversion and Darbee to my new 4K OLED.

First, is this possible?
If so, what type of splitter should I use??

Thanks,
Tom

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #8733 of 8752 Old 07-19-2016, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Get an active switcher that has a power supply and external remote. A cable splitter may induce HDCP and other errors, so they will likely not work reliably for a device that will have HDCP enabled for premium content.
post #8734 of 8752 Old 07-21-2016, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2367 Post(s)
Liked: 1640
I have a question and not sure how to set my player. I have a few 4K mastered blu ray movies. They are using expanded color. On the case it says *Expanded color requires xvYCC compatible TV and Blu Ray player" Does that mean I should set the 103D to 30 or 36 bit deep color?

LG 65EF9500
LG 65E6P
post #8735 of 8752 Old 07-22-2016, 04:30 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1882 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I have a question and not sure how to set my player. I have a few 4K mastered blu ray movies. They are using expanded color. On the case it says *Expanded color requires xvYCC compatible TV and Blu Ray player" Does that mean I should set the 103D to 30 or 36 bit deep color?
No, those are separate issues:

• Mastered in 4k is just a standard Blu-ray, has been happening for years
  • xvYCC is a Sony feature, a temporary stopgap before the new color space on UHD discs; OPPO doesn't support it
  • Deep color means interpolating from 8 bits to a wider value; it depends on what the display likes and is probably of limited use

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #8736 of 8752 Old 07-22-2016, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
Get an active switcher that has a power supply and external remote. A cable splitter may induce HDCP and other errors, so they will likely not work reliably for a device that will have HDCP enabled for premium content.
Or if the hopper has component, use that.
post #8737 of 8752 Old 07-27-2016, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Darbee flavoring is added at 1080, then the image is scaled.
For SD DVDs, is the upscaling to 1080 done first and then Darbee added? Or is Darbee added at SD resolution and then upscaled to 1080?
post #8738 of 8752 Old 07-27-2016, 08:20 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked: 1335
^ Darbee is applied at whatever output resolution is in effect, except for the special case of 4K output resolution. For 4K output resolution, scaling is done to 1080p, then Darbee is applied (if it is turned on), then scaling is done to 4K for output.

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #8739 of 8752 Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Team,

I just purchased the 103D and will be pairing it with a JVC RS4810. My question is.....will this player horizontally stretch 16:9 image r do I need a scaler? I've tried to zoom, but the masking option range will not allow me to mask enough to fit the screen horizontally.

tony4k
post #8740 of 8752 Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbase1 View Post
Team,

I just purchased the 103D and will be pairing it with a JVC RS4810. My question is.....will this player horizontally stretch 16:9 image r do I need a scaler? I've tried to zoom, but the masking option range will not allow me to mask enough to fit the screen horizontally.
Ok, I'll make this simple. If you have top and bottom black bars, the stretch will fill the black bars and fill the screen.

Panasonic AE-2000, Carada BW 120", Paradigm Studio 40v3 x 2, Paradigm 690v4, Paradigm ADP 470v3 x 4, Micca M-8C x 4, Mach 5 IXL-18 in 12cuft X 2, Soundsplinter RLP-15 in 9cuft vented X 2, Marantz 7702MKII, Emotiva XPA-3, Integra 9.8 for sale: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...processor.html
post #8741 of 8752 Old Today, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is anyone using a 103D as their video processor? I would do this but I have more sources than the 103D has HDMI inputs.

What I have thought of doing is plugging all of my sources into my AVR, then plugging in the AVR's HDMI-out into the 103D's HDMI in, then out to my projector. Anybody have this setup? Thoughts?
post #8742 of 8752 Old Today, 03:58 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allster101 View Post
Is anyone using a 103D as their video processor? I would do this but I have more sources than the 103D has HDMI inputs.

What I have thought of doing is plugging all of my sources into my AVR, then plugging in the AVR's HDMI-out into the 103D's HDMI in, then out to my projector. Anybody have this setup? Thoughts?
The trick is playing content in the OPPO itself. You'll need to get audio from the OPPO into the AVR. If you do that via the 2nd HDMI output (with HDMI 1 output going direct to your TV), then HDMI out from the AVR will be sending that back into the Input of the OPPO. That's an HDMI "loop".

Now, that CAN work (since the OPPO is not actually playing content from that HDMI Input). But whether the handshake and copy protection stuff in the AVR will actually handle this correctly is a gamble. It might just get confused and refuse to set up the loop.

The alternate would be to use the Analog audio outs of the OPPO to get audio from the OPPO into the AVR.

So you would have sources OTHER THAN the OPPO going into the AVR via HDMI. Output from the AVR would go via HDMI into the OPPO. The OPPO would have HDMI 1 going to your TV and multi-channel Analog audio to the AVR.

To play OPPO content, set the AVR to handle audio on its multi-channel Analog input. (No video will be going through the AVR).

To play content from other sources, set the AVR to play HDMI from the other source, and set the OPPO to play the HDMI Input you've wired from the AVR. The AVR will send video (and probably stereo audio) to the OPPO. The OPPO will send video the TV via HDMI and Analog audio back to the AVR (which will not be used).

Now the whole point in this would be to get the OPPO to do video processing for those other source devices. And THAT means you need to set the other sources *AND* the AVR to not do video processing themselves.

So for example, if you play an SD cable TV channel, you want your cable TV box to send 480i to the AVR, and you want the AVR to send 480i to the OPPO. For HD channels you'd have either 720p or 1080i depending on the particular channel you are watching.

If the source, or the AVR is already doing the up-scaling to 1080p there's no work for the OPPO to do, and so there's not much it can add other than Darbee processing.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #8743 of 8752 Old Today, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The trick is playing content in the OPPO itself. You'll need to get audio from the OPPO into the AVR. If you do that via the 2nd HDMI output (with HDMI 1 output going direct to your TV), then HDMI out from the AVR will be sending that back into the Input of the OPPO. That's an HDMI "loop".

Now, that CAN work...
Thank you Bob, I didn't even think about playing content on the OPPO. Now, it seems obvious that a much easier solution is to buy a Darbee DVP-5000S instead of an OPPO player, and use it in conjunction with an AVR.

So my question is - what is the point of buying an OPPO player for movie watching instead of a cheaper Bluray player? I assume that anyone who can purchase an OPPO can also purchase an AVR (or TV) with upscaling capabilities, and a Darbee 5000S to take care of Darbee processing. So what's the point of buying an OPPO player with these features, and having to go through hoops to get all of your sources processed by the OPPO, rather than buying them individually like I mentioned? It can't be the DAC, because it's being bypassed when using HDMI to your AVR. I don't see a reason to buy an OPPO, but many people on this forum clearly are, and there has to be a reason I'm missing. What is it?
post #8744 of 8752 Old Today, 04:31 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Most people buy the OPPO because of the way it plays shiny disc content of multiple formats (e.g., SACD and DVD-A music discs), along with support for media file playback and Internet streaming. Build quality and support are also factors.

The HDMI Inputs of the player are probably not a primary consideration, but rather, something nice in addition.

Folks who want to feed more than two HDMI sources through the OPPO typically use an HDMI switcher. But some have used a "looped" configuration such as you started with, along with video pass-through settings in their sources and in the AVR. Again, the trick there is whether the AVR will handle that properly.
--Bob

post #8745 of 8752 Old Today, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Most people buy the OPPO because of the way it plays shiny disc content of multiple formats (e.g., SACD and DVD-A music discs), along with support for media file playback and Internet streaming. Build quality and support are also factors.
Do you have an OPPO? Why did you choose it over another player?
post #8746 of 8752 Old Today, 05:13 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Yes. Several. I've been Beta Testing the OPPO players since before their first Blu-ray player came out. I've seen the effort they put into getting it right.

By the way, there's a "Help Me" sticky thread at the top of this forum where people discuss and compare which Blu-ray player to get. That can be useful.

Also, if you buy direct from the OPPO Digital web store, they offer an easy 30-day return policy. All you risk is the shipping. So you can try out the player and see for yourself whether it is what you want. If you decide to keep it, it comes with a full 2-year Warranty.

The Manual for the OPPO BDP-103D is available for download from the OPPO Digital support page:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...prodID=BDP103D

So you can familiarize yourself with it more fully even before you buy. Compare against the Manual for some other players you might be interested in.

Another thing you might want to do is check on, say, eBay for the resale value of used OPPO players compared to other players. That is often quite telling.
--Bob

post #8747 of 8752 Old Today, 07:52 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Do you have an OPPO? Why did you choose it over another player?
Just gotta say that I LOLed when I saw you ask Bob that question. Once you've been around here a bit longer, you will most likely understand why...
post #8748 of 8752 Old Today, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Just gotta say that I LOLed when I saw you ask Bob that question. Once you've been around here a bit longer, you will most likely understand why...
Mind giving me a rundown?
post #8749 of 8752 Old Today, 08:20 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Mind giving me a rundown?
If you read a few of Bob's posts, you'll see that he is pretty much THE guy to ask any Oppo questions and is frequently the first to respond with an answer (and typically with all the detail you could want), so asking him if he owns an Oppo player is sort of like asking if grass is green or the sky is blue...
post #8750 of 8752 Old Today, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
If you read a few of Bob's posts, you'll see that he is pretty much THE guy to ask any Oppo questions and is frequently the first to respond with an answer (and typically with all the detail you could want), so asking him if he owns an Oppo player is sort of like asking if grass is green or the sky is blue...
Gotcha.

What about you? Why did you pick an OPPO over a different DVD player?
post #8751 of 8752 Old Today, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Thank you Bob, I didn't even think about playing content on the OPPO. Now, it seems obvious that a much easier solution is to buy a Darbee DVP-5000S instead of an OPPO player, and use it in conjunction with an AVR.

So my question is - what is the point of buying an OPPO player for movie watching instead of a cheaper Bluray player? I assume that anyone who can purchase an OPPO can also purchase an AVR (or TV) with upscaling capabilities, and a Darbee 5000S to take care of Darbee processing. So what's the point of buying an OPPO player with these features, and having to go through hoops to get all of your sources processed by the OPPO, rather than buying them individually like I mentioned? It can't be the DAC, because it's being bypassed when using HDMI to your AVR. I don't see a reason to buy an OPPO, but many people on this forum clearly are, and there has to be a reason I'm missing. What is it?
For starters adding a inline Darbee along the HDMI path to the display beyond a source increases errors and artifacts where as putting it between the MTK SoC and the SI VRS processing in the form of a FPGA eliminates those errors. Additionally most cheaper players usually produce very clean BD images but not necessarily what would be a pixel perfect or error free results if you run a battery of video tests. The video processing in a AVR is no where as decent as a good source, neither are most HDTV's. There are some premium HDTV's that are just as good but still lack the degree of video adjustments.

Of course you also have Bob thrown in for advice, thats hard to top!

Oppo Beta Group
post #8752 of 8752 Old Today, 09:01 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
What about you? Why did you pick an OPPO over a different DVD player?
Pretty much the same reasons as Bob. Based on all the positive reviews of Oppo products, I bought a BDP-83 as soon as I could as part of the early adopter orders and never looked back. I've been involved in their beta program starting with the BDP-93.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread