Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 5283 Old 10-03-2013, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It sounds like the kind of automatic processing that the people who know a great deal more than I do (seriously, you guys are very smart people) always advise people to turn off. I trust your opinions, and I trust Oppo engineers, I'm just trying to get a handle around what this does, especially for 1080P content. Is there anything you could compare it to?

From the notes it sounds like it's trying to enhance the 3d depth of field on a 2d screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5283 Old 10-03-2013, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

Re: Darbee standalone price

i don't think so. We will have to wait.

It's called the Darbee Fidelio.

I believe it was first shown at CEDIA 2011.  I saw it there in Indianapolis in 2011 and was told the price would be north of $1000.00.

It was shown again at CEDIA 2012.  Tom Norton of Sound & Vision did a story and reported a price of around $2000.00.  Here's the link:  http://www.soundandvision.com/content/darbee-fidelio

So this is the third CEDIA that it's been shown.  To be fair it is supposed to do more and offer more control than the Darblet DVP-5000.

I think this information along with understanding the price of the stand alone Darblet DVP-5000 simply makes the combination of the BDP-103 and the Darblet DVP-5000 and excellent value.

post #93 of 5283 Old 10-03-2013, 07:23 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenemissing View Post

It sounds like the kind of automatic processing that the people who know a great deal more than I do (seriously, you guys are very smart people) always advise people to turn off. I trust your opinions, and I trust Oppo engineers, I'm just trying to get a handle around what this does, especially for 1080P content. Is there anything you could compare it to?

From the notes it sounds like it's trying to enhance the 3d depth of field on a 2d screen?

You might try the links in the FAQ and in the first post of this thread.

The problem is that videophiles are a bit schizo. Everyone wants an image that is accurate to the original source, but if you give a viewer a choice between a range of images as to which is most pleasing, they might not choose the most accurate.

You can have it either way, you just switch it on or off, or turn it up or down.

The Darbee is a new thing in that it can increase perceived detail without drawing lines around the shapes, which is how old sharpening controls worked, which destroys the actual fine detail. I believe it does it by messing with the luma channel in different ways in different parts of the image, dynamically altering local contrast. (But neither have I read deeply into the technology).

If I become aware of a video processing "look" I tend not to like it. At HiDef 35% I find the look unobjectionable.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #94 of 5283 Old 10-03-2013, 07:44 PM

Liked: 22
Does the 103D have the new 5100 new algorithm enhancements?

"DarbeeVision presents the new DVP-5100. This device is the successor to the popular Darbee Darblet DVP-5000 HDMI enhancer, the DVP-5100 uses a new algorithm to reduce artefacts and providing a more realistic picture, with more depth and more accurate> "
post #95 of 5283 Old 10-03-2013, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

I wanted to know how it will compare to the Oppo since he owned one but that is too much for you to handle.smile.gif FYI, Oppo has the same Darbee in it.
Would not have known that by your post?
The DVP processing is programmed into an FPGA, so functionally it is equivalent, but compared to a Darblet it is quite different.

Oppo Beta Group
post #96 of 5283 Old 10-03-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoor View Post

Does the 103D have the new 5100 new algorithm enhancements?

"DarbeeVision presents the new DVP-5100. This device is the successor to the popular Darbee Darblet DVP-5000 HDMI enhancer, the DVP-5100 uses a new algorithm to reduce artefacts and providing a more realistic picture, with more depth and more accurate> "
It has the most recent code that has been programmed in, it can be updated the same as the main, loader for example. The BDP-103D is even more updatable in that regard. If there are newer algorithm enhancements then those would come as a update.
lanping09 likes this.

Oppo Beta Group
post #97 of 5283 Old 10-03-2013, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Will OPPO be offering an upgrade service to owners of the 103 to the Darbee version the same way they do for 83 owners upgrading to 83SE?
post #98 of 5283 Old 10-03-2013, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb474 View Post

Will OPPO be offering an upgrade service to owners of the 103 to the Darbee version the same way they do for 83 owners upgrading to 83SE?
This is a hardware revision so no upgrade options for existing owners.

Oppo Beta Group
post #99 of 5283 Old 10-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 866
As stated, there's no upgrade path. You should consider selling your 103 as an alternative.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #100 of 5283 Old 10-03-2013, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Pretty nice to know the Darbee version can be upgraded.

65" VT50 / BDT460
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #101 of 5283 Old 10-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Yes, if you've done firmware updates on the 103 you'll know there are 3 parts to the firmware which can be updated (Main, Loader, and Sub/MCU). For the 103D there are 4 parts -- with the Darbee part being the new one.

I should add that the Support page on the OPPO Digital site for the 103D has not yet been updated to reflect the new player. The firmware info and User Manual on there are still for the original 103.
--Bob
lanping09 and gadgtfreek like this.

post #102 of 5283 Old 10-03-2013, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^
. . .
(Oh, and LPCM is "lossless" by definition, since "lossless" means able to reproduce the original, master LPCM.)
--Bob (hairs split while you wait) P.

Bravo! I can't stand it when some defender of linguistic purity says PCM and LPCM aren't "lossless" because that term, in their minds, can only be used to distinguish lossless compression from lossy, confusing the hell out of non-technical folks in the process, and causing them to avoid the uncompressed track because they think that means PCM and LPCM aren't any good!

post #103 of 5283 Old 10-03-2013, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
As a BDP-93 owner, I'm a bit disturbed to hear it implied that the QDEO processor on my HDMI1 output has non-defeatable noise reduction. The only reason I would even consider a 103D would be to be able to have unmolested video - I doubt that I'd ever actually use the Darbee.

However, a superficial reading of this thread suggests that a simpler and cheaper route to the same result would be to simply use the 93's second HDMI output! (I use the multichannel analog outputs.)

Are there significant improvements in the video output of the 103D (with Darbee off) over the 93's HDMI 2?

post #104 of 5283 Old 10-03-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

It has the most recent code that has been programmed in, it can be updated the same as the main, loader for example. The BDP-103D is even more updatable in that regard. If there are newer algorithm enhancements then those would come as a update.

Thanks, I had assumed yes, but reassuring to know.
post #105 of 5283 Old 10-03-2013, 11:01 PM

I have always thought the 2012 Panasonic BR player SD DVD upscaling what much better than the 103 SD output. Am I being too hopeful that the 103D SD DVD processing with Darbee might be equal or better then Panasonic's SD processing? It seems possible, since I thought the 103 SD output always quite soft as compared to the Panasonic's SD output.

Dreaming. Or perhaps just trying to justify a 103D? LOL
post #106 of 5283 Old 10-03-2013, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

As a BDP-93 owner, I'm a bit disturbed to hear it implied that the QDEO processor on my HDMI1 output has non-defeatable noise reduction. The only reason I would even consider a 103D would be to be able to have unmolested video - I doubt that I'd ever actually use the Darbee.

Go back and read the reports. The "decreased sharpness" is with the BDP-103 and not the BDP-93 players. But most of us do not see any difference in the picture output of HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 of the BDP-103.

Continue to use the BDP-93 with HDMI 1. If you liked your picture quality already, then you do not need to worry about anything.
post #107 of 5283 Old 10-04-2013, 04:45 AM

Bob,
i am enjoying my 103 since 5 months with my Dish HD receiver with Sony upscale TV now i just ordered 103 D ...for your tested result will i get more benefit from 103 D????
and i am using 1080i as native resolution so what will be my new setting for 103 D (as it will be here next week)
post #108 of 5283 Old 10-04-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenemissing View Post

Simply described, Darbee makes the picture look like it has tightened the focus on your screen a little bit, and it does this without changing the inherent qualities of the picture or adding noticeable artifacts (when used at a reasonable setting, 50% or below).
evo5 likes this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #109 of 5283 Old 10-04-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

Bravo! I can't stand it when some defender of linguistic purity says PCM and LPCM aren't "lossless" because that term, in their minds, can only be used to distinguish lossless compression from lossy, confusing the hell out of non-technical folks in the process, and causing them to avoid the uncompressed track because they think that means PCM and LPCM aren't any good!

Sorry to be a nit-picker, but these are technical terms with technical meanings. "Lossless" refers to compression, and PCM is not compressed at all. It is not accurate to say that PCM is "lossless." They are different things, even if the end result is equivalent.

That there is confusion in the marketplace about the difference between lossless and uncompressed is a marketing issue that doesn't particularly concern me.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #110 of 5283 Old 10-04-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I have a 64" PDP, I sit about 8 ft away would I see any benefit from any processing of the 103D?

Thanks

Djoel

post #111 of 5283 Old 10-04-2013, 08:41 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I have a 64" PDP, I sit about 8 ft away would I see any benefit from any processing of the 103D?

Thanks

Djoel

You might try the Darblet thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399154/darbee-vision-darblet. Since the -103D isn't shipping yet there won't be any user reviews here, but reports from Darblet users should amount to the same thing.

"Benefit" is subjective. You can certainly turn it up high enough that the effect is obvious, but also ludicrous. Turning it down such that there is no enhancement "look" that harms the image, but still gives benefit, is something you have to try yourself.

-Bill
lanping09 likes this.

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #112 of 5283 Old 10-04-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Yes, if you've done firmware updates on the 103 you'll know there are 3 parts to the firmware which can be updated (Main, Loader, and Sub/MCU). For the 103D there are 4 parts -- with the Darbee part being the new one.

I should add that the Support page on the OPPO Digital site for the 103D has not yet been updated to reflect the new player. The firmware info and User Manual on there are still for the original 103.
--Bob

To me this is a bonus over the Darblet, since it has to be sent back for updates.

65" VT50 / BDT460
post #113 of 5283 Old 10-04-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

You might try the Darblet thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399154/darbee-vision-darblet. Since the -103D isn't shipping yet there won't be any user reviews here, but reports from Darblet users should amount to the same thing.

"Benefit" is subjective. You can certainly turn it up high enough that the effect is obvious, but also ludicrous. Turning it down such that there is no enhancement "look" that harms the image, but still gives benefit, is something you have to try yourself.

-Bill

Cool thanks for the info.

Djoel

post #114 of 5283 Old 10-04-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 153
They're early!

Ordered yesterday afternoon and got an email this morning to come pick it up, which I did.

Noah
post #115 of 5283 Old 10-04-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice. Hopefully means folks like me that ordered for shipment will see em go out early next week smile.gif

65" VT50 / BDT460
post #116 of 5283 Old 10-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Read the FAQ!

The Amazon order page for the 103D now shows "2 sellers". In reality they are BOTH OPPO Digital.

What's going on is that one line is for the base price 103D. The second line is for the bundle of the 103D + Roku Streaming Stick (OEM version -- i.e., discounted price and without Roku's separate remote control).
--Bob

post #117 of 5283 Old 10-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

They're early!

Ordered yesterday afternoon and got an email this morning to come pick it up, which I did.

When you get it hooked up, please go into Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information and post here ALL the firmware version number lines you find in there so we Beta Testers will know exactly which firmware is pre-installed in the newly shipping units. Thanks!

That will help us answer questions correctly.
--Bob
gadgtfreek likes this.

post #118 of 5283 Old 10-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Read the FAQ!

OPPO UK has now also posted specs for the BDP-103D (for EU customers)

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/ecommerce/blu-ray-players/BDP-103D.aspx

Still waiting on firmware information and the downloadable User Manual.
--Bob

post #119 of 5283 Old 10-04-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

They're early!

and????
post #120 of 5283 Old 10-04-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Post is worthless without pics!

I want to see the menu layout with the darbee controls and other wink.gif

65" VT50 / BDT460
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page