Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 5287 Old 11-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just as a follow-up to my question yesterday about streaming DSD files to the 103D via network: Bill's (?) comment about seeing another set of icons for SMB shares was correct. My Synology 213j NAS apparently has SMB set by default, so when I checked last night under the Network icon on the Oppo, I saw two sets of server icons, one for the DLNA server and another for the SMB server. When I clicked on the SMB server (they look different) icon, it required that I log into the Synology, whereas the DLNA does not. Once I entered my login info, the usual folders came up and I was able to navigate to my DSD files and bingo!, they played with no problems and sounded great over the Oppo. Thanks to all who responded!biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 5287 Old 11-12-2013, 03:56 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
 Trying to decide between the 103 vs 103D, Is it worth the extra 100? If the 103D darbee settings are turned off is it basically the same player as the original 103 or can u even turn the darbee aspect right off?

I own both.

I think the 103D with Darbee off at HDMI-out 1 or 2 and the 103 at HDMI-out 2 are identical in PQ.

Currently i switch between both models, because my 103 has firmware from January and plays mkv 1080p24 well ;)

post #1173 of 5287 Old 11-12-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 194
So I just happen to use the front panel buttons to eject a disk, move to the next chapter, pause content, etc for the first time ... and at least on my player, it takes some time for the player to react to a button press. If I just press the button until i hear a click, the player doesn't react. I have to keep my finger pressed on the button for over a 3 seconds or so .. whether pause, eject, next chapter ... Is that normal? The remote control is instantaneous.

I tried using the front panel buttons to navigate on screen setup sub-menu ... and it was extremely painful to do using the front buttons due to the response lag.

Edit. All fixed. Re-installed firmware from the CD, and now player front panel buttons are all responsive. Remarkable. No idea what must have happened earlier that caused it.
post #1174 of 5287 Old 11-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

So I just happen to use the front panel buttons to eject a disk, move to the next chapter, pause content, etc for the first time ... and at least on my player, it takes some time for the player to react to a button press. If I just press the button until i hear a click, the player doesn't react. I have to keep my finger pressed on the button for over a 3 seconds or so .. whether pause, eject, next chapter ... Is that normal? The remote control is instantaneous.

I tried using the front panel buttons to navigate on screen setup sub-menu ... and it was extremely painful to do using the front buttons due to the response lag.

No that is not normal -- i.e., for the front panel buttons to be less responsive than the remote for navigating menus. Now there are things that could be happening to slow down the response -- such as indexing files on an attached drive; But if you are comparing front panel vs. remote AT THE SAME TIME they should be identical.

For things like ejecting the disc, there can also be a delay due to actions the disc's playback program wants to take before the disc stops, but again that should be the same for front panel buttons and remote.

Give OPPO tech support a call. Your player may need a warranty swap out./ service.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1175 of 5287 Old 11-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Edit. All fixed. Re-installed firmware from the CD, and now player front panel buttons are all responsive. Remarkable. No idea what must have happened earlier that caused it.

If you forgot to do the Recommended Reset after the first time you installed that firmware, you can have some odd behavior. Also the firmware on the CD is newer than what shipped in the player, so if you never did the firmware install from the CD in the first place, that too could lead to odd behavior.
--Bob

post #1176 of 5287 Old 11-12-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Once I confirmed the player was normal again I put the settings back to the way I wanted, The problem then came back !

What was causing the problem was HDMI CEC. The HDMI Cec was turned to ON with HDMI 1 ... Which is the HDMI output I use, I've no idea why enabling it causes the front panel buttons to become slightly unresponsive but that's certainly what's causing it for me. Not a showstopper. It was nice the 103 turned off when I turned the projector off via HDMI control but not critical. Just need to program a macro in the universal remote.
post #1177 of 5287 Old 11-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Sounds like a bug. These should not be related. Please email OPPO Tech Support with the make/model of your other gear and what you've found regarding this interaction and they can try to reproduce/fix it.
--Bob

post #1178 of 5287 Old 11-13-2013, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

If you forgot to do the Recommended Reset after the first time you installed that firmware, you can have some odd behavior. Also the firmware on the CD is newer than what shipped in the player, so if you never did the firmware install from the CD in the first place, that too could lead to odd behavior.
--Bob
What exactly is the recommended reset? Not sure if I did it after installing the new firmware cd. Thanks.
post #1179 of 5287 Old 11-13-2013, 05:54 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKIK View Post

What exactly is the recommended reset? Not sure if I did it after installing the new firmware cd. Thanks.

Print a copy of the BDP-103D Settings Checklist and mark it up with any changes you have made to the defaults.

Then: Setup -> Device Setup -> Reset Factory Defaults -> Erase Settings

Reenter your previous settings. Then shut the player down normally, because that is when settings changes are saved.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #1180 of 5287 Old 11-13-2013, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
want to order a 103 player but i read that some people have issues with the qedo doing something to the hdmi 1; is this a large enough issue to make me want the D version? asking because my only experience with upscaling is the faroudja dcdi chip in my avr.

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #1181 of 5287 Old 11-13-2013, 07:03 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKIK View Post

Quote:

--Bob

By the "Recommended Reset" I mean the Reset that's offered on the first power up after you do a firmware install.

If you skipped that one you can do it now using the Reset option in the Setup menu as described by Bill.
--Bob

post #1182 of 5287 Old 11-13-2013, 07:05 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post

want to order a 103 player but i read that some people have issues with the qedo doing something to the hdmi 1; is this a large enough issue to make me want the D version? asking because my only experience with upscaling is the faroudja dcdi chip in my avr.

Opinions vary. Some people noticed residual QDEO effect and hated it, but most found it negligible.

If has been some years since I saw Faroudja processing, but I think all the recent OPPO players offer a better image.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #1183 of 5287 Old 11-13-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

One thing i've noticed on some older or bad SD material is that the Oppo 103D really truly does not apply any noise reduction. I had being watching a concert DVD on my mac and it didn't look too bad. I then popped the disk in the 103D and the picture looked awful. Lots of noise and macro blocking !

Yikes I thought. Need to do better than that. So applied some Noise reduction and sure enough, cleaned up the picture nicely.
post #1184 of 5287 Old 11-13-2013, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

A question about the Oppo apps: I also have the 93 and had downloaded the two apps for it, the Remote app and the Media app. It appears that the Remote app is the same one for the 103D, but the Media app can't seem to find my 103D and therefore does nothing. Does the Media app not work for the 103/103D?
Thanks!
post #1185 of 5287 Old 11-13-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post

A question about the Oppo apps: I also have the 93 and had downloaded the two apps for it, the Remote app and the Media app. It appears that the Remote app is the same one for the 103D, but the Media app can't seem to find my 103D and therefore does nothing. Does the Media app not work for the 103/103D?
Thanks!

This is the media app >

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mediacontrolhd/id648243911

It will only allow you to browse SMB or local USB shares. Not DLNA. In order to browse DLNA shares you need to use a regular DLNA remote app.
post #1186 of 5287 Old 11-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is the media app >

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mediacontrolhd/id648243911

It will only allow you to browse SMB or local USB shares. Not DLNA. In order to browse DLNA shares you need to use a regular DLNA remote app.
Thank you for your reply. However, I am using these apps on an Android tablet, not the Apple apps. Also, the Media remote does not find my SMB shares on my Synology server because it does seem to connect with or even find my 103D, whereas it worked fine with my 93, although I have not tried to use it with the 93 in awhile. Anything special I need to do to get the app to "find" and connect to the 103D?
post #1187 of 5287 Old 11-13-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post

Thank you for your reply. However, I am using these apps on an Android tablet, not the Apple apps. Also, the Media remote does not find my SMB shares on my Synology server because it does seem to connect with or even find my 103D, whereas it worked fine with my 93, although I have not tried to use it with the 93 in awhile. Anything special I need to do to get the app to "find" and connect to the 103D?

The media control app for the 93 does not work for the 103. There is one available for iOS, but not yet for Android.
post #1188 of 5287 Old 11-13-2013, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 172
An Android MediaControl will be released hopefully by early next year. OPPO is working on a iPhone/Touch version, then will be porting this to Android.
post #1189 of 5287 Old 11-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

An Android MediaControl will be released hopefully by early next year. OPPO is working on a iPhone/Touch version, then will be porting this to Android.
Bill/Neuromancer: Thanks for your helpful and informative answer, as usual! That is just what I need to know:D
post #1190 of 5287 Old 11-13-2013, 03:54 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Opinions vary. Some people noticed residual QDEO effect and hated it, but most found it negligible.

If has been some years since I saw Faroudja processing, but I think all the recent OPPO players offer a better image.

-Bill

I agree...all the calories and none of the guilt! wink.gif
post #1191 of 5287 Old 11-13-2013, 03:59 PM

For those interested in making this player "region free" for DVD's only, I can confirm the SuperDisc ISO works on the 103D exactly as it did on the 80, 83, 93 ....etc.
warrian likes this.
post #1192 of 5287 Old 11-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone have a rough idea of when the 103D firmware update will be dropping? I remember hearing it would be "end of the month" which I'd assumed was end of October, but I guess it must be November.

As I've used my 103D regularly I've noticed more and more small bugs. Besides the regular blank and static screens that occasionally happen when switching channels from 720p and 1080i sources, I mean. Which switching to the front HDMI In has done nothing to stop.

It seems like the audio setting "Dynamic Range Control" stays engaged regardless of it being disabled in the menu. I get abnormally lowered audio even when the feature is turned off, as commercials and certain content that normally blare through the speakers are lowered almost to the point of being muted. I've tested it by running the hdmi clean to the tv from my DVR and it's definitely the Oppo that's stuck with Dynamic Range Control activated.

Other thing I've noticed is when browsing for content on a network-attached drive. When I first select "network" from the Oppo main menu screen, it spins and thinks for a while before returning a completely blank media list. Every single time I have to exit network, reselect it, and it again thinks and finally finds the media from the NAS.
post #1193 of 5287 Old 11-13-2013, 09:08 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ The volume issue sounds like Dolby Volume may be active in your TV set top box. This has started appearing in recent firmware updates from, e.g., Comcast. On the Motorola made boxes, this is in the special settings menu (turn the box "off", then press Menu to bring up the special settings menu, adjust as needed, press Menu again to exit, and then turn the box back "on" for normal use). The difference between what's happening with the OPPO and what's happening with the TV may be that the TV is getting Stereo LPCM from the box instead of Dolby Digital Bitstream audio.
--Bob

post #1194 of 5287 Old 11-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

As a further update to my earlier question regarding streaming DSD files from my two NAS, it was suggested that this was not functional on the WD My Book Live but was functional on the Synology NAS. However, after further testing last night, both servers offer SMB shares under the Network icon of the Oppo and I was able to stream both PCM and direct DSD (bitstream) from both devices to the Oppo, depending on the setting for SACD playback in the Oppo and both worked fine with my Denon 4311 AVR.
Again, thanks for the input from our "special" forum members; you (and we) know who you are!biggrin.gif
post #1195 of 5287 Old 11-15-2013, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrian View Post

For what it's worth, I can now confirm that the internal/external Region Free kit from Only Best Rated Canada (which I believe to be identical to the JVB version referenced above) does in fact work on the 103D in exactly the manner it worked on the 103. I have my mod installed externally.

Do they still sell the region free kit? I see it no where on their website.
post #1196 of 5287 Old 11-15-2013, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvandenb View Post

I'm not familiar with that particular store, but the kit sounds like this one currently offered on eBay "OPPO BDP-103 DVD Blu-ray Region Free Hardware Modification Kit". I got one of these a couple of years ago for the BDP-93. The kit for the 103 also works for the 93 and the 95.

Vizio M501D-A2r hdtv, Sony STR-DN1050 AVR, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray, Samsung BD-UP5000 HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo, Roku 3, Apple TV
other older items of various types and vintages
post #1197 of 5287 Old 11-15-2013, 01:23 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvandenb View Post

I bought mine from Only Best Rated, so that is why I make the distinction, but I believe mhobart to be correct: there is only one kind of internal/external mod kit for the OPPO and it works on all of these players. The JVB one linked in the FAQ was on special for about $50 a few days ago. You could ask OBR if they still sell it, but my understanding is that it hasn't been list on their site in some time.

I have both a 103 and a 103D in the household and like the external kit as I can easily transport it from one player to other in the rare instances I need to play a region B locked disc.

post #1198 of 5287 Old 11-15-2013, 02:28 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrian View Post

I bought mine from Only Best Rated, so that is why I make the distinction, but I believe mhobart to be correct: there is only one kind of internal/external mod kit for the OPPO and it works on all of these players. The JVB one linked in the FAQ was on special for about $50 a few days ago. You could ask OBR if they still sell it, but my understanding is that it hasn't been list on their site in some time.

I have both a 103 and a 103D in the household and like the external kit as I can easily transport it from one player to other in the rare instances I need to play a region B locked disc.
terrific, thanks..
post #1199 of 5287 Old 11-15-2013, 03:44 PM

I was reading somewhere about the 103D (cant find it now) where whilst playing a blu-ray you can press the INFO button bringing up some data "eg" bit rate so on so on including the Color Space being used "eg" 4:2:2 or other. Now I have tried this and noting that resembles a color space setting comes up. am I missing something here or am i just confused and the color space setting does not come up once pressing the Info button whilst playing a blu-ray movie. I have mine set on the 103D as 4:2:2
post #1200 of 5287 Old 11-15-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:

press Info on the OPPO remote and see what shows on the on-screen display. The top line is what's coming in on that input. The bottom line is what's going out on the HDMI outputs. Confirm that you are getting the video Resolutions and Color Space choices that you expect.

--Bob

Now I find the post I was looking for.
Bob, what am I doing wrong?. I have only played two blu-ray movies since I purchased my 103D but only have pressed the info on one of them (Pearl Harbour) and did not see the Color Space setting . I have my HDMI 1 (to the TV, HDMI 2 to the amp) Color space setting on 4:2:2 not AUTO.
thanks.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page