post #1501 of 5107 Old 12-04-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabuk View Post

My 103D arrives today and can't wait to watch/-rewatch Blu-ray content. Is this the optimal way for all my devices to take advantage of the 103D's Darbee processing?

1) HTPC HDMI out to Marantz HDMI in
2) Tivo Roamio HDMI out to Marantz HDMI in
3) PS3 HDMI out to Marantz HDMI in
4) Xbox One HDMI out to Marantz HDMI in (not using the passthrough for now)
5) Oppo HDMI 2 out to Marantz HDMI in (for bitstream audio)
5) Marantz HDMI out to Oppo HDMI in (on the back)
6) Roku streaming stick connected to Oppo USB
7) Oppo HDMI 1 out to Sony TV HDMI in

Thanks!

Made an edit to ensure I get bitstream audio from the Oppo to the AVR.
Your going to run into HDMI handshake/ID issues by outputting a BD player to a AVR and in turn providing a HDMI path back to the BD player. (loop)

Oppo Beta Group
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 5107 Old 12-04-2013, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, John.

Would the preferred setup be the following:

1) HTPC HDMI out to Oppo HDMI 1 in
2) Tivo Roamio HDMI out to Oppo HDMI 2 in
3) PS3 HDMI out to Marantz HDMI in
4) Xbox One HDMI out to Marantz HDMI in (not using the passthrough for now)
5) Oppo HDMI 1 out to Marantz HDMI in
5) Marantz HDMI out to Sony TV HDMI in
6) Roku streaming stick connected to Oppo USB
7) Oppo HDMI 1 out to Sony TV HDMI in

Is this better?
post #1503 of 5107 Old 12-04-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Much better! smile.gif

Oppo Beta Group
post #1504 of 5107 Old 12-04-2013, 06:11 PM

I realize that this is the kind of question that people hate answering but I could use some advice. I am currently debating between the 103D and the 105. The cost disparity is not an issue. I like the USB DAC and higher quality audio functionality on the 105 especially for the future speaker upgrades I plan to make but my main concern here is the video. I tend to think I am a purist so the idea of the Darbee processing is at first offensive as someone who wants an accurate picture but I understand that it has been making converts. I plan on watching mostly Blu-rays, plus the occasional DVD (older TV shows and such that will never come out on blu-ray) so upscaling is important but mainly good blu-ray playback. I had always thought that the 103/105 had accurate/reference playback and that the Qdeo was extremely well-regarded but reading this forum I have seen things about a "softness" and unpleasant effect of the noise reduction on the Qdeo that cannot be turned off. Does this mean that with the Darbee turned completely off the 103D will be a better picture on Blu-ray than the 103/105? Blu-ray movie playback is my main concern. I am willing to entertain the idea of the Darbee processing though I have no intentions of running my TiVo through the Oppo. As far as the audio benefits of the 105 I figure I can add them later with the upcoming headphone amplifier as that seems to be basically the 105's audio section. I would just like to know if that supposed noise reduction/softness issues on the 103/105/Qdeo models mean that the 103D would have a "superior" (I know, I know preference) with the Darbee set to "0". Oh and the TV, if that matters, is a Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-111FD. Thanks and sorry for the long-windedness.

post #1505 of 5107 Old 12-04-2013, 06:49 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus87 View Post

I realize that this is the kind of question that people hate answering but I could use some advice. I am currently debating between the 103D and the 105. The cost disparity is not an issue. I like the USB DAC and higher quality audio functionality on the 105 especially for the future speaker upgrades I plan to make but my main concern here is the video. I tend to think I am a purist so the idea of the Darbee processing is at first offensive as someone who wants an accurate picture but I understand that it has been making converts. I plan on watching mostly Blu-rays, plus the occasional DVD (older TV shows and such that will never come out on blu-ray) so upscaling is important but mainly good blu-ray playback. I had always thought that the 103/105 had accurate/reference playback and that the Qdeo was extremely well-regarded but reading this forum I have seen things about a "softness" and unpleasant effect of the noise reduction on the Qdeo that cannot be turned off. Does this mean that with the Darbee turned completely off the 103D will be a better picture on Blu-ray than the 103/105? Blu-ray movie playback is my main concern. I am willing to entertain the idea of the Darbee processing though I have no intentions of running my TiVo through the Oppo. As far as the audio benefits of the 105 I figure I can add them later with the upcoming headphone amplifier as that seems to be basically the 105's audio section. I would just like to know if that supposed noise reduction/softness issues on the 103/105/Qdeo models mean that the 103D would have a "superior" (I know, I know preference) with the Darbee set to "0". Oh and the TV, if that matters, is a Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-111FD. Thanks and sorry for the long-windedness.

I personally would pay $100 on the 103D, just to get rid of the soft Qdeo HDM1 processing. I, as several others, back around the first of the years had posted this issue. Glad Oppo addressed it in the 103D.

Getting the Darbee has been fun (and for $100 a bargain compared to the standalone) and I actually like the results in moderation, so far. Win/Win.

I am one of the old analog dinosaurs and still preferred my McIntosh amps, so if they do come out with a 105D might consider it.
post #1506 of 5107 Old 12-04-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Much better! smile.gif

The roku streaming stick must connect to the front HDMI/MHL input. It does not connect via USB.
post #1507 of 5107 Old 12-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
whats a better program to use to stream .mkv multi language anime files to the 103D tversity or XBMC? will the 103d auto detect the servers or do i need to manually set something up in the program(should be getting my player tomorow)

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #1508 of 5107 Old 12-04-2013, 10:07 PM

Liked: 11
For clarification purposes (me being a newbie to the 103D)...is this what I should be doing:

1) HTPC (MAc Mini) HDMI out to Oppo HDMI 1 in ******* Darbee processing will work/help out video during PLEX playback from my Mac Mini? *******

2) Oppo HDMI 1 out to Onkyo 1009 HDMI in

3) Onkyo 1009 HDMI out to Epson 6030UB HDMI in

I have just received my Oppo 103D today and will be connecting it once I get home tonight. I rarely play blu ray discs but just wanted a good DVD/BRD player to (somewhat) complete my setup. Thank you for any/all guidance!

Mike
post #1509 of 5107 Old 12-04-2013, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

The roku streaming stick must connect to the front HDMI/MHL input. It does not connect via USB.
True, overlooked that. Use a HDMI switch then.

Oppo Beta Group
post #1510 of 5107 Old 12-05-2013, 03:27 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethewxguy View Post

For clarification purposes (me being a newbie to the 103D)...is this what I should be doing:

1) HTPC (MAc Mini) HDMI out to Oppo HDMI 1 in ******* Darbee processing will work/help out video during PLEX playback from my Mac Mini? *******

2) Oppo HDMI 1 out to Onkyo 1009 HDMI in

3) Onkyo 1009 HDMI out to Epson 6030UB HDMI in

I have just received my Oppo 103D today and will be connecting it once I get home tonight. I rarely play blu ray discs but just wanted a good DVD/BRD player to (somewhat) complete my setup. Thank you for any/all guidance!

Mike

That will work. Darbee processing will be active.

-Bill
post #1511 of 5107 Old 12-05-2013, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post

Mine has 2 audio options: 1/2-English DTS-HD MA STEREO and 2/2 DOLBY DIGITAL MONO (which is a commentary track). Obviously different releases. But my point wasn't so much about which release of Brazil I have, but how my oppo (with latest beta firmware) is handling the DTS-HD MA 2.0 soundtrack. Or mishandling it. Or if its a strangely mastered disc that is causing the oppo to mishandle its audio.

So, again, can someone tell me some blurays that are mastered in DTS-HD MA (or DTS-MA 2.0 or DD-HD AUDIO 2.0) so that I can test it on the oppo to see where the problem lies. Or where I might find a list of DTS-MA 2.0 releases. I don't want to contact oppo tech if its a problem with this disc. But if there is a problem with how these tracks are being handled I do want to let them know so that it can be fixed.

Tom

Edit- I googled DTS-MA 2.0 and found a list of movies on BluRay.com. I'm pretty sure I may have at least one of the discs listed. I will report back after further testing.

Well I won't need to contact Oppo tech. It seems there are a bunch of WB and Criterion BR's recorded in DTS-HD MA 2.0 that don't work in bitstream. This was reported by people using different BR players and receivers. It seems they are just authored wrong. Aren't there some sort of standards that the studios have to meet ??
I tested a copy of 'Grumpy Old Men' and could not get any audio at all when 103D was set to bitstream, but worked fine when set to pcm. So it appears once again that setting the player to PCM is the work around. And maybe it needs to my default setting for audio out from my 103D.
It seems that every time there is an audio problem, like recently with 'MU' the suggested work-around is setting the BR player to PCM. I always thought that bitstream was the recommended setting, but if PCM works better then that's the way I'll go. I'm a pragmatist at heart.

I also thought that it should not make any difference where the audio is decoded-- in the BR player or receiver. So why does decoding in the BR player 'fix' so many of these audio problems ?? Different chips ?? Different firmware ?? Or different end of the audio chain ?? Cables ?? Could someone please explain just what the heck is going on ??

Tom

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #1512 of 5107 Old 12-05-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post

I also thought that it should not make any difference where the audio is decoded-- in the BR player or receiver. So why does decoding in the BR player 'fix' so many of these audio problems ?? Different chips ?? Different firmware ?? Or different end of the audio chain ?? Cables ?? Could someone please explain just what the heck is going on ??

Tom

In your case the issue appears to be on the other end of the HDMI cable. 2.0 DTS-MA works fine for most folks when bitstreamed.
post #1513 of 5107 Old 12-05-2013, 08:10 AM

Hello fine folk

I just joined AVS

Excellent forum, nice resource of peronsal experience with reviews.

My hats off to everyones efforts and fantastic collaberation.

I've just received my 103D, along with a shiny new SVS SB13-ultra

All my reading didn't prepare me for these results!

I haven't alotted any significant time to tinker much with the settings but so far the picture is hardly believable to my eyes, the audio is nothing short of shocking!

My system was starving for a quality source and now it has just what it needs.

There are so many pages to review on this product.

Question...

Does anyone have recommended settings for the 103D as a starting reference point?

This is what I'm working with;

Samsung 55" 8000 series

Pioneer Elite vsx-94thx

Oppo 103D-HDMI1 direct to LED, HDMI2 to Elite

Benchmark DAC1-Pre

Bryston 4bsst2/BP26/MPS2

Paradigm Studio 100 v2 w/ Ctr, dipoles & rears

Just upgraded Tannoy sub to SB13-ultra, richter scale bass can literally make your heart skip beats!

Monster Power cleaner(which is about to be pitched)

Blue Circle noise hounds

MIT Biwires

Transparent xlr interconnects

Auralex Grammas under sub and mains

Auralex acoustic management

My current picture is not up to date.

Will update soon

Thank You

post #1514 of 5107 Old 12-05-2013, 08:29 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by clermonc View Post

Does anyone have recommended settings for the 103D as a starting reference point?

The manual has settings for many audio setups. Apart from that, see the FAQ: What are the recommended settings for the OPPO BDP-103?

-Bill
post #1515 of 5107 Old 12-05-2013, 09:52 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus87 View Post

Based on your stated preferences, I would go with the 105.

I have a 103 and a 103D and I enjoy the Darbee on very low settings. It improves contrast without creating noise or diminishing shadow detail, which is great. But too much of it makes a film look like a video. My default setting is Hi-def 32.

As to the 103: I can also say, as someone who has complained rather loudly about the softness of the QDEO's Noise Reduction on standard def material, that I love the way 1080p sources look through the QDEO. With Blu-ray and even decent broadcast TV, the Marvel chip does a fantastic job. The only thing that annoys me about it is that its NR application is progressive, so the noisier the image, the softer the end result. On some DVD upconversion and Netflix streaming this can be annoying. The Sharpness +1 "solution" is a huge leap in processed sharpness from 0 to +1. About the equivilent of the difference in 0 to +13 on my panel. It adds very noticeable ringing and is essentially bad processing on top of bad processing. I'm not the kind to tell others that something that pleases them visually is wrong, but if you consider yourself a video purist, Sharpness +1 is not going to be any kind of fix for you.

However (and probably most importantly), video on the 103D thru HDMI1 out (with the Darbee turned off) will look nearly identical to video on the 105 thru HDMI2 out (by-passing the QDEO). Both of these options are run through the Mediatek chip only. Also, both players have source direct mode bypassing all processing for 1080p sources. So in my opinion, the purist in you can be satisfied by both players even if you don't like the QDEO on Blu-rays, which would surprise me.

You are then essentially choosing between the Darbee on the 103D or the analog DACs on the 105. Based on what you've written above, the audio output seems to be your priority.

Hope that helps!
audiomixer likes this.

post #1516 of 5107 Old 12-05-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post

What is "streaking" you are referring too?

When you see high contrast scenes (easiest is to see white letterings on solid black background) you will easily see some streaking when the Darbee is set too high

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #1517 of 5107 Old 12-05-2013, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 171
Release date: December 5, 2013.
Category: Latest Official Release
Main Version: BDP10X-67-1204
Loader Version: 6U1000 or 7B1300 (BDP-103), 7B1300 (BDP-105, BDP-103D)
Sub Version: MCU103-05-0916 (BDP-103), MCU105-04-1113 (BDP-105), , MCU13D-01-0618 (BDP-103D), DB10X 131030 (BDP-103D)

Special Notes:
1. Once this firmware version is installed on the player, you will not be able to revert back to any previous official or public beta firmware. There will be no problem upgrading to any future official or beta firmware release.
2. Due to the extensive changes in this major firmware update, it is required that the user performs a "Reset Factory Defaults" operation after the firmware is installed. Please write down your special settings before doing this, and remember to re-apply your settings and adjust the proper volume level (if applicable) before you play any content. You may experience stability issues if this step is not performed.
3. Even though this firmware provides functionality similar to a pre-amplifier, we recommend that you use caution when connecting the Multi-channel or Stereo audio outputs directly to your amplifier and speakers.
4. This Official firmware is designed to work with new versions of Apple iOS and Android media control applications, which add new features like SMB access, album art display, media category support, and the ability to share information to mainstream social network websites. The MediaControlHD V2.0 (for iPad and iPad mini) is already in the App Store, and another version for the iPhone, as well as a corresponding Android app, will be available shortly.

Comparing to the previous Official release version BDP10X-60-0910 (which is essentially the same as BDP10X-58-0719 release), the major changes included in this version are:

1. Added the "Power On Volume" and "Maximum Volume" selections for the Multi-channel and the Stereo (BDP-105 only) audio outputs. Both selections are available at the Setup Menu -> Audio Processing.
2. Added the "Power On Input" selection which allows the customer to decide which input source should be used when the player powers on. This selection is available at the Setup Menu -> Playback Setup.
3. Added the "Settings Management" selection which allows the customer to backup or restore the player’s settings. This selection is available at the Setup Menu -> Device Setup. A USB flash drive is required for this purpose, and the backup file is encrypted to only allow access from OPPO Technical Support.
4. Added the “4Kx2K Output” selection to Setup Menu -> Video Setup with two settings: “Auto” and “Forced”. The “Auto” setting will upscale 24 Hz content to 4K if the connected display supports a 4K input. The “Forced” setting will output a 4K signal regardless of whether or not the player detects a 4K display and irrespective of the original source format.
5. Added the "Auto" mode when choosing the SACD output audio format. This mode is available at the Setup Menu -> Audio Format Setup -> SACD Output.
6. Added support for automatic file and folder sorting when accessing SMB servers. The files and folders are now sorted in alphabetic order.
7. Added support for MKV files with PGS subtitles.
8. Added Zoom functionality to video content sent through the HDMI IN ports.
9. Upgraded the "CinemaNow" and "YouTube" applications.
10. Improved support for CUE playlists. Now, a single CUE file can point to multiple music files in the same folder.
11. Resolved a playback issue with several DVD-Audio discs. Customers reported that after upgrading to the BDP10X-58-0917 firmware, some DVD-Audio discs would play for a few seconds then the player was locked up, and all you heard was white noise. Samples include “Elvis: 30 #1 Hits”, “Bruckner: Symphony No. 7”, “Dream Theater”, “Nightwish: Once”, as well as discs self-authorized using “HD-Audio Solo Ultra” program.
12. Resolved a frame rate decoding error for 24 Hz video files. Customers reported that after upgrading to the BDP10X-58-0917 firmware, many MKV, M2TS and TS files which were encoded as 23.976 Hz were decoded as 29.970 Hz. This issue has been resolved.
13. Resolved an incorrect audio Downmix issue with the Stereo audio outputs (BDP-105 only). Customers reported that after setting "Stereo Signal" to "Front Left/Right", they could hear surround channel audio from the dedicated Stereo audio outputs. This issue has been resolved.
14. Resolved a visible streaking issue observed on the BDP-103D player. Customers reported that after turning on the Darbee processing, they could see streaks or stripes in the background details, which became more obvious after increasing the Darbee level or switching to Full-Pop mode. This issue has been resolved in the official release.
15. Resolved a multi-channel DSD support issue when using Dual Display mode. Customers reported that if they connected the HDMI 1 Out to a TV and the HDMI 2 Out to a DSD-capable receiver, the receiver could only recognize the Front Left and Front Right channels even if the players were reading a multi-channel SACD. This issue has been resolved.
16. For the BDP-103D player, this firmware added three commands (QDB, SDB and DRB) to the RS-232 protocol for Darbee control. It also provided finer control over the Darbee level adjustment (in 1% increments).
17. Added an experimental "Gapless Playback" feature. Currently, this feature only works for WAV and APE music files, and can be enabled in the music file navigation interface by pressing the OPTION button and then selecting the "Gapless Playback" option. In Gapless Playback mode, you may use buttons like PAUSE, PLAY, STOP, NEXT and PREV, but not REV and FWD. This feature is still under development and may be improved in future firmware releases.
18. Resolved a compatibility issue with some DVD/BD blank discs. Customers reported that their self-burnt DVD or BD discs failed to load and play on the OPPO players. Samples include Verbatim DVD+R DL 8.5G and BD-R DL 50GB blank discs. This firmware upgraded the software driver for the disc loader and resolved this issue.
19. Resolved a compatibility issue with JRiver Media Center software. Customers reported that after installing the latest Public Beta firmware BDP10X-67-1220B, they could no longer see the JRiver's DLNA server in the list of My Network. This issue has been resolved in the official release.
20. Resolved a channel mapping error in the DSD file playback, which only happened on BDP-105 players. Customers reported that if they set the "Stereo Signal" to "Front Left/Right", switched off the player then switched it on again, and played 2-channel DSD files from external storage, the Front Left channel sound could also be heard from the Surround Right output. This issue has been resolved in the release.
21. General disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples, sample title includes "The Longest Day (Blu-ray, 2012)".
post #1518 of 5107 Old 12-05-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Any need if you have the 11/21 beta?

Nevermind, saw one note about a fix over the beta.

65" VT50 / BDT460
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #1519 of 5107 Old 12-05-2013, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

If you are affected by these two changes:
19. Resolved a compatibility issue with JRiver Media Center software. Customers reported that after installing the latest Public Beta firmware BDP10X-67-1220B, they could no longer see the JRiver's DLNA server in the list of My Network. This issue has been resolved in the official release.
20. Resolved a channel mapping error in the DSD file playback, which only happened on BDP-105 players. Customers reported that if they set the "Stereo Signal" to "Front Left/Right", switched off the player then switched it on again, and played 2-channel DSD files from external storage, the Front Left channel sound could also be heard from the Surround Right output. This issue has been resolved in the release.

Then yes, there is a need to upgrade the player from the Beta to the Official Firmware.
lanping09 likes this.
post #1520 of 5107 Old 12-05-2013, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Neuromancer thanks for the heads up!

I read your notification and immediately used via internet to install the new firmware!

Funny thing though after the Oppo shut down after installation, and after I turned it back on, it did not ask to restore. I had to go through the setup menu to restore Factory Settings.

But the Firmware notification showed BDP10X-67-1204 on the Oppo.

Is there anything wrong with this process?

Again thank you!

Rob
post #1521 of 5107 Old 12-05-2013, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You no longer need to Reset Factory Defaults if you are going from the 67-1120B or later firmware releases. The player is doing this automatically as part of the firmware upgrade process and restores your previous settings by first exporting them then importing them after a successful firmware upgrade.

So going forth the player will never prompt you to do a Reset Factory Defaults after you have booted from a successful firmware upgrade.
lanping09 likes this.
post #1522 of 5107 Old 12-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 852
^ If you previously had the 1120B Public Beta firmware installed you are good to go without an additional Reset. Starting with installs after 1120B, the installer now does a behind the scenes Save Settings, Reset, and Restore Settings automagically (using internal memory).

Since many folks installing Official 1204 will be coming from Official 0719 (or 0910 for the 103D), the Caution about doing the Reset remains in the installation instructions for this one, last time.
--Bob
lanping09 likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1523 of 5107 Old 12-05-2013, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Neoromancer

Thank you!

Rob
post #1524 of 5107 Old 12-05-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Thats awesome, no more reset required.

65" VT50 / BDT460
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #1525 of 5107 Old 12-05-2013, 05:40 PM

Liked: 13
Awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post #1526 of 5107 Old 12-05-2013, 06:13 PM

I ordered a unit earlier today from Oppo and it's on the way. Will I need to perform this update?
post #1527 of 5107 Old 12-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Yep. But not to worry. The firmware install is easy.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1528 of 5107 Old 12-05-2013, 06:53 PM

^^^ Thank you Bob. I'm sure I'll have plenty of more questions when it arrives...lol
post #1529 of 5107 Old 12-05-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoor View Post

I personally would pay $100 on the 103D, just to get rid of the soft Qdeo HDM1 processing. I, as several others, back around the first of the years had posted this issue. Glad Oppo addressed it in the 103D.

Getting the Darbee has been fun (and for $100 a bargain compared to the standalone) and I actually like the results in moderation, so far. Win/Win.

I am one of the old analog dinosaurs and still preferred my McIntosh amps, so if they do come out with a 105D might consider it.

Thanks for the response. Just to make sure I'm understanding, by soft you mean that the image doesn't look quite as crisp or sharp as it should being a high-definition source? And yeah, a 105D might make things somewhat easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrian View Post

Based on your stated preferences, I would go with the 105.

I have a 103 and a 103D and I enjoy the Darbee on very low settings. It improves contrast without creating noise or diminishing shadow detail, which is great. But too much of it makes a film look like a video. My default setting is Hi-def 32.

As to the 103: I can also say, as someone who has complained rather loudly about the softness of the QDEO's Noise Reduction on standard def material, that I love the way 1080p sources look through the QDEO. With Blu-ray and even decent broadcast TV, the Marvel chip does a fantastic job. The only thing that annoys me about it is that its NR application is progressive, so the noisier the image, the softer the end result. On some DVD upconversion and Netflix streaming this can be annoying. The Sharpness +1 "solution" is a huge leap in processed sharpness from 0 to +1. About the equivilent of the difference in 0 to +13 on my panel. It adds very noticeable ringing and is essentially bad processing on top of bad processing. I'm not the kind to tell others that something that pleases them visually is wrong, but if you consider yourself a video purist, Sharpness +1 is not going to be any kind of fix for you.

However (and probably most importantly), video on the 103D thru HDMI1 out (with the Darbee turned off) will look nearly identical to video on the 105 thru HDMI2 out (by-passing the QDEO). Both of these options are run through the Mediatek chip only. Also, both players have source direct mode bypassing all processing for 1080p sources. So in my opinion, the purist in you can be satisfied by both players even if you don't like the QDEO on Blu-rays, which would surprise me.

You are then essentially choosing between the Darbee on the 103D or the analog DACs on the 105. Based on what you've written above, the audio output seems to be your priority.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the thorough response. Just a couple of follow up questions:
1. Are you saying that a higher setting on the Darbee makes film look like video, like much higher than the Hi-Def 32% you use, I absolutely loathe the soap opera effect on lcds these days. I know the Darbee is not frame interpolation, but I do like to make sure my film looks like film.
2. In regards to the noise reduction that produces softness, are you saying that that only really occurs on standard-def (DVDs) material? Is it less of or a non-issue with Blu-rays?
3. If I want to use the HDMI1 output for the Qdeo on DVDs to upscale, by selecting Source Direct would I be essentially getting the same picture I would on the 103D with Darbee off, or would the Qdeo still be negatively impacting the image?
4. This is pretty much a general question for everyone, even though amazing Blu-ray playback is my top priority, is there a drastic difference between the 103D and the 103/105 on DVD scaling/PQ, Qdeo, Darbee or otherwise which of these is considered to be the best for standard def DVD playback.

Thanks again for all of the advice, it definitely helps.

post #1530 of 5107 Old 12-05-2013, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
14. Resolved a visible streaking issue observed on the BDP-103D player. Customers reported that after turning on the Darbee processing, they could see streaks or stripes in the background details, which became more obvious after increasing the Darbee level or switching to Full-Pop mode. This issue has been resolved in the official release.

Does this mean the Darbee streaking issue isn't actually fixed in the beta release?

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page