Forum Jump: 

post #1711 of 4618 Old 12-20-2013, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

Actually you use the receivers DAC's when you bitstream or PCM. You use the Oppo's DAC's when you use the multi channel analog outputs.
Well that's pretty obvious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 4618 Old 12-20-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
You would be surprised how many people don't know that.
RayWK likes this.

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #1713 of 4618 Old 12-20-2013, 04:22 PM

Liked: 10

I was the owner of a 103d for a week. The player itself worked great. The problem was using the HDMI passthrough. I had issues with audio lag and some popping/squeeling when audio was outputted via toslink to my sound bar. I tried every other workaround option and did not experience the same issue. Issue was exclusive to HDMI passthrough using 103d. Problem did not appear using the 103d for movies or netflix streaming either. 

That being said, I really wanted an Oppo and really wanted the Darbee processing. So I returned the 103d but ordered a standalone darblet, which came in the mail today. 

Any reason to still buy the regular Oppo 103? Should I use "source direct" so that the Darblet will do the processing, bypassing the Oppo Qdeo? And if I did that, did I just nullify the need for an Oppo in the first place?

Thanks. 

post #1714 of 4618 Old 12-20-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaepi10 View Post

I was the owner of a 103d for a week. The player itself worked great. The problem was using the HDMI passthrough. I had issues with audio lag and some popping/squeeling when audio was outputted via toslink to my sound bar. I tried every other workaround option and did not experience the same issue. Issue was exclusive to HDMI passthrough using 103d. Problem did not appear using the 103d for movies or netflix streaming either. 

That being said, I really wanted an Oppo and really wanted the Darbee processing. So I returned the 103d but ordered a standalone darblet, which came in the mail today. 

Any reason to still buy the regular Oppo 103? Should I use "source direct" so that the Darblet will do the processing, bypassing the Oppo Qdeo? And if I did that, did I just nullify the need for an Oppo in the first place?

Thanks. 

Did you ever try asking Oppo support about your issue?
There could have been several things that maybe you did or did not try, like what frequency you are sending to your soundbar.
Perhaps your soundbar could not handle certain ones. I suppose it doesn't matter now since you sent it back.

For the most part, the BDP-103 and BDP-103D are the same player aside from the built in Darbee processing.
Most likely you will probably have the same problem with the 103 that you did with the 103D.

If you are not going to use the primary features of the 103, like great upscaling and advanced audio codec playback of SACD/DVDA ect...
Then it does seem like you may be better off with just cheaper BD/DVD player.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #1715 of 4618 Old 12-21-2013, 09:12 AM

I have a question about programming the CD player (I own a 103D, but the same question applies to the other models as well). This is quite cumbersome on the Oppo compared to my past dedicated CD player.
Let's say I want to program the sequence of tracks from 5 to 8. In a dedicated CD player, I would just press Program,5,6,7,8 - a total of 5 buttons. In the Oppo I press Play,Pause,Yellow,Enter,5,Enter,Enter,6,Enter,Enter,7,Enter,Enter,8 - a total of 14 buttons. Using this method one needs to press around 3 times the number of buttons. At least I don't need to use the monitor... In addition, it's annoying that you need to start playing and then pause before you can access the programming interface (if you don't time it well, you hear a little squeak from the beginning of the first track).
Am I missing a much easier way to program? If not, could a shorter method be introduced in a future firmware update?
Thanks

P.S. While at it, it would be cool if there was also a way to ask for a contiguous range, so in the above case I would just specify 5 and 8 instead of needing to list all the tracks in between (this is very useful in classical music CDs containing several multi-movement works).
post #1716 of 4618 Old 12-21-2013, 10:05 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 774
^ If your goal is simply to start playback at track 5 (with the disc currently Stopped), you can press 5-Play.

If you want the disc to stop playing before its last track, or to play a non-sequential set of tracks, the current temp-playlist functionality is the only one available at the moment.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1717 of 4618 Old 12-21-2013, 10:23 AM

Thanks Bob - there should be an easier way (as in standard CD players). Is the Oppo support email a good place to suggest future firmware improvements?
post #1718 of 4618 Old 12-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 774
^ Yep!
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1719 of 4618 Old 12-21-2013, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What advantage does the Oppo 103D give me SQ &PQ wise,... over using a much cheaper Bluray Player, sending the Raw Data to a SC-65 reciever for processing and a stand alone Darbee ???
post #1720 of 4618 Old 12-21-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1 View Post

What advantage does the Oppo 103D give me SQ &PQ wise,... over using a much cheaper Bluray Player, sending the Raw Data to a SC-65 reciever for processing and a stand alone Darbee ???
Not much if by raw data you mean bitstream or LPCM digital using HDMI. The joy in OPPO comes in other areas. wink.gif
post #1721 of 4618 Old 12-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Quote:

Not much if by raw data you mean bitstream or LPCM digital using HDMI. The joy in OPPO comes in other areas. wink.gif

Yes that is what i meant , so even using something like a PS4 could be just as good ??
post #1722 of 4618 Old 12-21-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 323
I own Elite 23, 53, 62, PS3, BDP 300, 5100, 790, Oppo 103 and 103D. I find that the 103D to have the best picture quality amongst them all when fed through Elite SC-75 projected using Pana 7000U (regularly professionally calibrated every month)

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #1723 of 4618 Old 12-21-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Quote:

Yes that is what i meant , so even using something like a PS4 could be just as good ??
For bitstream audio and Blu-ray video there shouldn't be a difference that more than a few people would notice. I'm not one of those people. wink.gif
post #1724 of 4618 Old 12-21-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

I own Elite 23, 53, 62, PS3, BDP 300, 5100, 790, Oppo 103 and 103D. I find that the 103D to have the best picture quality amongst them all when fed through Elite SC-75 projected using Pana 7000U (regularly professionally calibrated every month)
Is that with the Darbee active? I imagine screen size would play a role too -- along with your eyes and ears. smile.gif
post #1725 of 4618 Old 12-21-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

nope, that's with Darbee turned off. Screen size is 96" 21:9 viewed from 9ft away.

my home theatre

post #1726 of 4618 Old 12-21-2013, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor View Post

counter argument that LPCM goes straight to the AVR DACS and doesn't get messed with

That's not the case if you are using any of the AVR's processing, such as room correction, EQ. etc... and most AVR's have direct modes which decode and then go straight to the DAC's if desired..

IMO, not a winning argument. wink.gif

In addition, PCM over HDMI might be susceptible to jitter.

The fact of the matter is that, especially regarding lossless codecs, it shouldn't matter where the decoding to PCM happens... there are reference decoder designs that any chip maker must adhere to in order to obtain certification.

To say that one method is audibly superior without level matched testing is anecdotal at best..

As others have pointed out, dialog normalization may account for volume differences depending on how the AVR and player handles it.

I guess in the end my point is that you may be hearing something that you feel is superior..

To conclude, however, that the differences in what you are hearing is due to where the codec is being converted is a little presumptive, IMHO.
post #1727 of 4618 Old 12-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

nope, that's with Darbee turned off. Screen size is 96" 21:9 viewed from 9ft away.

When Darbee off on your 103D, what Video proccesor is the 103D using ??

I know the 103 has the Qdeo just like the SC65.
post #1728 of 4618 Old 12-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Quote:

counter argument that LPCM goes straight to the AVR DACS and doesn't get messed with

That's not the case if you are using any of the AVR's processing, such as room correction, EQ. etc... and most AVR's have direct modes which decode and then go straight to the DAC's if desired..

The fact of the matter is that, especially regarding lossless codecs, it shouldn't matter where the decoding to PCM happens... there are reference decoder designs that any chip maker must adhere to in order to obtain certification.

To say that one method is audibly superior without level matched testing is anecdotal at best..

As others have pointed out, dialog normalization may account for volume differences depending on how the AVR and player handles it.

I guess in the end my point is that you may be hearing something that you feel is superior..

To conclude, however, that the differences in what you are hearing is due to where the codec is being converted is a little presumptive, IMHO.

...So just to be clear , It's true that even a PS4 could work great as long as im sending all Data Bitstream or LPCM ( not sure of difference?) to SC-65 ??
post #1729 of 4618 Old 12-21-2013, 10:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

...So just to be clear , It's true that even a PS4 could work great as long as im sending all Data Bitstream or LPCM ( not sure of difference?) to SC-65 ??
That's what I understand.
post #1730 of 4618 Old 12-22-2013, 01:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hooked up and configured my new 103D this evening and I am llllloving it thus far! Only one video out, to my receiver, which in turn has two video outs to my projector(s - I have a switcher because one is 2D and the other 3D) and my 3D rear-projection TV. With this setup I can get the benefits of Darbee processing on all three displays.

I ran into one problem, albeit a temporary one, that I thought I would mention. Of course I wanted to test the Darbee, so I called up the Picture Adjustment option and set it to 35% per the many recommendations here. As expected, the results were subtle but beneficial (the source was the Blu-ray of CLEOPATRA -- her arrival scene, of course). I then decided that I wanted to compare the Darbee-enhanced image with the normal image, so I invoked the Demo mode and selected the split screen option. I didn't have the manual handy, and the picture quality of this disc is so high that I wasn't entirely sure which side of the split screen was showing the enhanced image. So I cranked up the setting to the 120% maximum to make it obvious which side was which (the left side of the image is the enhanced side).

That's when I ran into trouble. Once I had set the Darbee processing to the max (which, of course, yielded a lot of artifacts), I discovered that the Oppo had locked up. I couldn't change anything from that point forward, with the exception of knocking down the enhancement by one notch (119%). From that point forward, the Oppo behaved as if my remote had done DOA.

When I powered down and back up again, the menu display (sans Blu-ray disc video output) still had the telltale vertical line indicating that the Oppo was in split screen mode. I was able to go back to the Video Adjustment options, dial down the enhancement setting back to 35%, and end the split screen mode.

I'm describing all this because the first thing I did after initially powering up the Oppo and configuring it for the internet was a firmware upgrade check, and my understanding is that the latest upgrade addressed some issues with Darbee processing regarding streaks in the background of certain scenes. I thought perhaps it was worth mentioning in case this problem can be replicated and, if so, possibly addressed in a later firmware upgrade.

This is definitely the Swiss Army Knife of Blu-ray players! Tomorrow I'll be testing the 3D (it's too late for me to start that fun task right now).

PS -- The dumbest mistake I made in setting up my new player was failing to notice the transparent strip across the front of the display and the disc tray. I thought I'd really gotten a lemon, not being able to open the tray, looked more carefully and realized that I hadn't taken that strip off.
post #1731 of 4618 Old 12-22-2013, 02:15 AM

Quote:

I am not posting here to win or lose anything life's too short, and you can miss-interoperate the word argument out of context if you want.
I originally answered a civil question to whether I used bitstream or LPCM
In hindsight I should not have given a reason as to why, but to prevent having to answer another question I was stupid enough to post it.
I don't give a rats ass why I prefer it like that and am quite happy to enjoy my system coming away with a big smile on my face
In the end having invested thousands of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ people are free to configure there AV any way they want
TorTorden likes this.
post #1732 of 4618 Old 12-22-2013, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Where's the Christmas spirit?biggrin.gif
RayWK likes this.

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #1733 of 4618 Old 12-22-2013, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When Darbee off on your 103D, what Video proccesor is the 103D using ??

I know the 103 has the Qdeo just like the SC65.

The 103D without processing uses Mediatek chip

my home theatre

post #1734 of 4618 Old 12-22-2013, 06:55 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:

The 103D without processing uses Mediatek chip
Just to clarify a bit, the OP asked about with Darbee switched off - in that case, the 103D still potentially has the VRS chip in the mix for some enhancements depending on how the other video settings are configured.

103/105 HDMI1 output has MediaTek + QDEO (QDEO processing cannot be completely shut off)
103D HDMI1 output has MediaTek + VRS + Darbee (VRS and Darbee processing can both be completely shut off)
103/105/103D HDMI2 output has MediaTek
post #1735 of 4618 Old 12-22-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

True, but I turn VRS off when I was doing comparison biggrin.gif

I personally use Darbee at 35% and VRS at 1 for my daily usage to compensate the lack of sharpness of the Pana 7000

my home theatre

post #1736 of 4618 Old 12-22-2013, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

True, but I turn VRS off when I was doing comparison biggrin.gif

I personally use Darbee at 35% and VRS at 1 for my daily usage to compensate the lack of sharpness of the Pana 7000

So does that mean that the Mediatek is superiorr to the Qdeo ?
post #1737 of 4618 Old 12-22-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:

Quote:

I am not posting here to win or lose anything life's too short, and you can miss-interoperate the word argument out of context if you want.
I originally answered a civil question to whether I used bitstream or LPCM
In hindsight I should not have given a reason as to why, but to prevent having to answer another question I was stupid enough to post it.
I don't give a rats ass why I prefer it like that and am quite happy to enjoy my system coming away with a big smile on my face
In the end having invested thousands of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ people are free to configure there AV any way they want

I'm not sure why you are so defensive.

Sorry that it got you so frustrated.

Of course you are entitled to what you like.

However, you posted something that was erroneous (that sending PCM to an AVR meant it goes straight to the DAC), and in the context of the discussion, I thought it could bear more clarification and discussion.

My intention wasn't to disrupt your enjoyment of your setup and how it's configured.

In the end , this is a community dedicated to AVScience.... Of course you're entitled to what you like regardless of the reasons.

But if you want to post something as fact, you should be prepared if someone wants to continue the conversation if they don't completely agree.

To just get angry and dismiss others who are trying to add information others may find helpful seems against the sprint of this forum IMO.

Happy holidays. smile.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kemiza likes this.
post #1738 of 4618 Old 12-22-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So does that mean that the Mediatek is superiorr to the Qdeo ?

For other purposes, Qdeo is better than Mediatek, the only thing I dislike from Qdeo is that at "0" noise reduction, there is still visible noise reduction applied.

my home theatre

post #1739 of 4618 Old 12-22-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure why you are so defensive.

Sorry that it got you so frustrated.

Of course you are entitled to what you like.

However, you posted something that was erroneous (that sending PCM to an AVR meant it goes straight to the DAC), and in the context of the discussion, I thought it could bear more clarification and discussion.

My intention wasn't to disrupt your enjoyment of your setup and how it's configured.

In the end , this is a community dedicated to AVScience.... Of course you're entitled to what you like regardless of the reasons.

But if you want to post something as fact, you should be prepared if someone wants to continue the conversation if they don't completely agree.

To just get angry and dismiss others who are trying to add information others may find helpful seems against the sprint of this forum IMO.

Happy holidays. smile.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the humility to apologise if I posted any information that was interoperated as fact, as I never used the word fact.
I am not qualified to state that one way or the other and never said that I could.
Yes I got frustrated as I answered the original question in good faith hoping it would not turn into a debate, unfortunately it did.
post #1740 of 4618 Old 12-22-2013, 08:38 AM

I' m thinking about getting the 103D and have a few ?s as to how it should be hooked up. I have the Sharp Elite Pro 70 inch led lcd tv and it is mounted to the wall. I have one hdmi cable that runs through the wall and is connected to an hdmi switch box. I have my PS4, Wii U, DirectTv, Xbox 1 and my current blu ray player connected to the switch box and there is a soundbar under the tv that is connected via digital optical. Would I connect the TV to the hdmi 1 output and then connect the hdmi switcher to the hdmi input 1 on the 103D? Would that work for eveything? Would I be able to use the darbee processing for the components that are hooked to the hdmi switcher? I also assume that the 103D would have to be on at all times to access the hdmi switcher that would be plugged in to the hdmi 1 input. Last question. Would there be a delay or any kind of hiccup with the hdmi switcher being hooked up this way?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page