post #2071 of 5022 Old 01-10-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Nah. I don't buy that. Off peak hours it behaves the same. Its consistent. Something with the netflix client on the oppo .. Not device manufacturer priority on streams.

For me the tivo Roamio is the best as that outputs 1080p/24

I'm not sure why this is hard to believe.

In either case, whether it's the client (developed and controlled by Netflix) or the server (developed and controlled by Netflix), the signal, as delivered can be affected by the following:

1. The player's hardware and software capabilities. This is probably not the case, since in off peak hours it performs well.
  2. The Netflix client's inherent capabilities. This is probably not the case, since in off peak hours it performs well.
  3. The owner's network configuration. This may be an issue if using wireless, less so if hard wired, but again, if it performs well at any time, it should not be the biggest influence.
  4. The internet provider. This becomes more of an issue with a provider like comcast, which both throttles traffic at peak and may be taking other measures to shape traffic. Peak hours it may be an influence.
  5. Netflix shaping the response based on the type of client it sees. This is where it gets political, where more profitable customers to Netflix like Sony get better throughput and prioritized versus smaller customers like Oppo.

If a licensing fee is involved that is based on the number of Sony units being used at any timeto view Netflix, so that Sony pays a fee per actual or projected Netflix user to Netflix, then Netflix is going to try to maximize that fee.

It can only do that by maximizing access to those users. I am sure that the number of users would be monitored in that kind of arrangement, and it's to Netflix's interest to make sure that for its biggest clients (Sony, et. al. ) the largest number of them are using their S5100's rather than the smart app TV's to get Netflix. If I have three devices that can do Netflix, I'm going to pick the fastest and more reliable one.

Is it wrong? In my view, yes. Is it Machiavellian? Sure, but not something that ranks in the realm of cattle abduction by aliens in believability. If what you care about is the money and not the service you provide to all of your customers, what is to prevent you from doing this? Netflix controls the whole chain of content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 5022 Old 01-10-2014, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Currently I am running all my HDMI sources into my Denon 3810 (sat box, xbox, wii) out to 65"ZT60. Denon uses the Anchor bay 2010 video chip for upscaling and de-interlacing. Using the OPPO 2 HDMI method right now for blu-ray. Would there be a big difference in video processing running my sources into the OPPO HDMI then out to the TV. What are the benefits of the Mediatek vs. the ABT 2010? Will I see a noticeable difference in PQ using the OPPO to do scaling etc??
post #2073 of 5022 Old 01-10-2014, 08:33 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Netflix shaping the response based on the type of client it sees. This is where it gets political, where more profitable customers to Netflix like Sony get better throughput and prioritized versus smaller customers like Oppo.

We had suspicions of that about a year ago when there were widespread internet outages over the holidays. It seemed like Netflix streaming was dropping out and being restored by client type.

That was a hint that client types were (at least partially) partitioned into hosts and network routes. That doesn't necessarily mean quality of service differences by the same scheme, or that the load isn't distributed by a different scheme from day to day.

The internals of Netflix streaming are opaque to me, and I am just guessing, but I suspect 99% of Netflix in the player is provided by Netflix themselves. It's possible OPPO screws up the 1%, but I'm doubting that.

-Bill
post #2074 of 5022 Old 01-10-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtLurker View Post

Thank Philnick i will try as you suggested.

HDMI Audio is set to OFF but will turn Bitstream OFF as well for Coaxial even though i am not using them. Will also set HDMI 1 to Video only.
I thought Firefly was the conclusion to Serenity. LOL silly me.
I just had to pop in a disc after a quick audio calibration.
Don't believe i own any SACD but i think i will start looking for them. The Oppo is that awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

Personally, I'm not a fan of SACD. I prefer DVD-Audio or Blu-ray disks or PCM downloads because SACD playback requires shaving off high frequencies that the others preserve.
. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post

Well, I don't hear much beyond 50kHz anyway. smile.gif
. . .

Just found a great interview on why DSD (and SACD, its primary distribution format) can't compete with DVD-A and Blu-ray (or PCM downloads). Any claim of "purity" made by DSD proponents who disdain PCM ignores that 99% of the projects done in DSD have all of the mixing, EQ'ing, and mastering done in PCM, because those can't be done in DSD!

Disclaimer: the interviewer, Mark Waldrep (whose handle on AVS is "Dr. AIX") is the engineer who runs AIX Records and iTrax, its download site.
paul54 likes this.

post #2075 of 5022 Old 01-10-2014, 09:32 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 160
^ Guys, please take the theory discussion to the theory forum.
quarlo likes this.
post #2076 of 5022 Old 01-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Agreed. Please take all discussion to the theory discussion forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/f/91/audio-theory-setup-and-chat

S~
quarlo likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #2077 of 5022 Old 01-10-2014, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopaw View Post

I have a couple of questions.  I notice a majority of posters are going to multiple displays with a lot using projectors to large screens.  Do you think the improvements provided will be noticeable on a 55 inch Sony (top of the line two years ago) TV, sitting about 10 feet away, due to the Darbee process?

Actually, yes. You can actually engage more "pop" with the Darbee the further you are sitting, so you will see an even greater dramatic difference in the picture without any of the negatives (sharpness being too high, color smearing, etc).
Quote:
The only draw back I see to this is that the media server in the Oppo does not handle True Dolby or DTS-MA.

As long a the file is not being transcoded, you will get Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD Master through MKV and m2ts/ts files.
Quote:
One final question, by running DTV through the 103D all the time, is anyone experiencing and issues with this because of the WAF, that would be a problem.

Only real problem is that you have to remember to turn on the player and select the appropriate input on the player. To reduce the pain of using the HDMI inputs, under Playback Setup change "Power On Input" to "Last Used". As long as HDMI IN REAR was selected when you had turned off the player, it will return to this input when turned back on.
post #2078 of 5022 Old 01-10-2014, 01:39 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Actually, yes. You can actually engage more "pop" with the Darbee the further you are sitting, so you will see an even greater dramatic difference in the picture without any of the negatives (sharpness being too high, color smearing, etc).
As long a the file is not being transcoded, you will get Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD Master through MKV and m2ts/ts files.
Only real problem is that you have to remember to turn on the player and select the appropriate input on the player. To reduce the pain of using the HDMI inputs, under Playback Setup change "Power On Input" to "Last Used". As long as HDMI IN REAR was selected when you had turned off the player, it will return to this input when turned back on.

Thanks for the comments, I don't understand the transcoding comment,  I'm using makemkv to rip the BluRay's to my HD so they are all available to the media server, Plex through the Mini at the moment.  I was planning on having the Oppo access them from the HD directly so they could run through the Darbee processor.  Could you please expand on the Transcoding comment.

Thanks, Neuromancer!

post #2079 of 5022 Old 01-10-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:

Thanks for the comments, I don't understand the transcoding comment,  I'm using makemkv to rip the BluRay's to my HD so they are all available to the media server, Plex through the Mini at the moment.  I was planning on having the Oppo access them from the HD directly so they could run through the Darbee processor.  Could you please expand on the Transcoding comment.

Thanks, Neuromancer!

the player has no issues playing MKV or M2TS files with HD audio. If you're using a DNLA server, its up to the server to leave that audio alone (no transcoding). Use SMB to access your shared media and that problem is eliminated.
post #2080 of 5022 Old 01-10-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

the player has no issues playing MKV or M2TS files with HD audio. If you're using a DNLA server, its up to the server to leave that audio alone (no transcoding). Use SMB to access your shared media and that problem is eliminated.

Good news, Thanks

post #2081 of 5022 Old 01-10-2014, 03:59 PM

Liked: 12
With more and more movies coming out with Mastered in 4K in EXPANDED Colors do we ever expect that Oppo will ever give us the option of using the gamut xvYCC.? Yesterday I tested the amazing Spider man in Expanded color on three blu-ray players 1/ Oppo 103D, 2/ Panasonic DMP BDT 110 with xvYCC , 3/ my mates Panasonic DMP BDT 330 with xvYCC and the two of us came up with the same conclusion that the Oppo gave the overall sharpest picture in general but on particular scenes the Panasonic DMP BDT 330 and even the 110 had better colors than the Oppo.
Could the Oppo have the gamut xvYCC added via a firmware update or would it need a hardware upgrade (new model) to add this feature.
post #2082 of 5022 Old 01-10-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post

Currently I am running all my HDMI sources into my Denon 3810 (sat box, xbox, wii) out to 65"ZT60. Denon uses the Anchor bay 2010 video chip for upscaling and de-interlacing. Using the OPPO 2 HDMI method right now for blu-ray. Would there be a big difference in video processing running my sources into the OPPO HDMI then out to the TV. What are the benefits of the Mediatek vs. the ABT 2010? Will I see a noticeable difference in PQ using the OPPO to do scaling etc??

bump
post #2083 of 5022 Old 01-10-2014, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

bump

Yes there is a notable difference but holy cow, the input lag at startup is something else. Also the occasional lipsync issues. Been contemplating running Direct tv without going through OPPO, but i dont want to give up the processing and Darbee. For now the lag is worth it.

7.2 with Thiel Power Points, twin Seaton Submersive F2's in Espresso. Krell Showcase Amp, Marantz Pre-Pro, Richard Grey Power, Control 4 Home Automation, lots of Blue Jean Cables, Oppo 103D, Sony DVD 777 400 Disc Changer and Samsung Plasma 64" 8500 all in a Salamander Synergy 247 in Walnut.
post #2084 of 5022 Old 01-11-2014, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Thanks, Neuromancer!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcoding

It's a feature often found in DLNA servers but I have never seen it actually helping.

I just got my oppo 103d yesterday so have been testing a little, one of wich was the network features, seems I need to do sonm tweaking on my server shares, but the DLNA worked like a charm it playes 1080p mkv's with dts-hd master tracks with ease, and yes I checked that with my receivers display.
server I am using is the ps3 media server software which quite honestly is the best I have tried and it's open source 'free'.
http://www.ps3mediaserver.org
Just download and install for your comp and pick your folders to serve and you should be good to go.
post #2085 of 5022 Old 01-11-2014, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiorgio View Post

I use my AVR for switching, then take the HDMI out from AVR to HDMI in on 103D. It cleans up the signal great on my Direct TV and my old Sony777 DVD Changer. You can feed all your video signals through the 103D and clean them up. Even my Sony777 changer goes Component into AVR, upconverted to HDMI, then fed into 103D with Darbee and out to TV. It works.

That is why I bought the "D", but when I do this it creates an HDMI loop and goes dark. The loop is caused because I'd like to use the Oppo player as a BD player and send its audio back to AVR (Onkyo 3009).
post #2086 of 5022 Old 01-11-2014, 08:25 AM

Hi,

I am currently testing streaming movies with dlna to my oppo. Very happy with the PQ, looks identical to the source. I am only able to get dts sound though, not dts master audio. Am I doing something wrong? I am using makemkv & media center and a trial version of j river.

Also, what is everyone using as far as dlna servers? J river seems nice, but there are other ones such as serviio, plex, etc. Need advice before I spend the money on jriver.

Thanks, Rick
post #2087 of 5022 Old 01-11-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodil View Post

That is why I bought the "D", but when I do this it creates an HDMI loop and goes dark. The loop is caused because I'd like to use the Oppo player as a BD player and send its audio back to AVR (Onkyo 3009).

That was my plan as well. Everything into AVR then out to OPPO, from OPPO to TV. Wonder if there is a work around? Trying to simplify cabling.
post #2088 of 5022 Old 01-11-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjchyzy View Post

Hi,

I am currently testing streaming movies with dlna to my oppo. Very happy with the PQ, looks identical to the source. I am only able to get dts sound though, not dts master audio. Am I doing something wrong? I am using makemkv & media center and a trial version of j river.

Also, what is everyone using as far as dlna servers? J river seems nice, but there are other ones such as serviio, plex, etc. Need advice before I spend the money on jriver.

Thanks, Rick

This is an issue with your server software. If you want to avoid such issues, use SMB and access the files directly. IOW, you don't need server software at all, just file sharing.
post #2089 of 5022 Old 01-11-2014, 09:33 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by munich12 View Post

I just signed up fro Netflix, but I get only SD quality through Oppo 103D. I waited a few minutes but still getting only SD feed.
I get HD through my PS3, but not with oppo 103D.
Do I have to change any setting?

Experiencing the same problem, my bandwidth is not an issue but the BDP103D states it is locked below 480SD, which seems absurd. I will be returning this if this cannot be resolved. I can stream 5.1 HD fine from Vudu without a problem.
post #2090 of 5022 Old 01-11-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Best thing if you like streaming is a roku stick. That's all I use with my OPPO and my bedroom TV.

65" VT50 / BDT460
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #2091 of 5022 Old 01-11-2014, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

That was my plan as well. Everything into AVR then out to OPPO, from OPPO to TV. Wonder if there is a work around? Trying to simplify cabling.
Since my major other video input is Sat, I run the DirecTV into the Line-in of the Oppo and then through the AVR.
Simple from a cabling viewpoint. It is a bit slower to start up because of all the handshaking and there is a audio delay start-up which is annoying when using the DVR

Other option is to buy a remote controlled HDMI switch, but that is a kludge. It would be cheaper to buy a 103 (not D) and a darblet, then. Of course if Oppo had isolated the HDMI input in the back when not in use, it would be simpler still.
post #2092 of 5022 Old 01-11-2014, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttringle View Post

Experiencing the same problem, my bandwidth is not an issue but the BDP103D states it is locked below 480SD, which seems absurd. I will be returning this if this cannot be resolved. I can stream 5.1 HD fine from Vudu without a problem.

Give OPPO tech a call - streaming 1080P with Netflix - starts in SD and then progresses to HD in 10-30 seconds

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #2093 of 5022 Old 01-11-2014, 09:57 AM

Is anybody using the Roku stick with the Plex app to stream content from a PC Plex media server and if so how we'll does it work?
post #2094 of 5022 Old 01-11-2014, 10:03 AM

Rdgrimes,

What is Smb? Is to be used in conjunction with media player?
post #2095 of 5022 Old 01-11-2014, 10:06 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:

Rdgrimes,

What is Smb? Is to be used in conjunction with media center?

SMB is the most popular file sharing technique on local networks. It's built in to Windows and available on other systems.

-Bill
post #2096 of 5022 Old 01-11-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Rdgrimes,

What is Smb? Is to be used in conjunction with media player?

If you're trying to use Windows Media Player / Media Center, that's part of your problems. If you have Windows 8, don't bother trying to use file sharing. If you have Windows 7, read up on file sharing. Alternatives are some sort of NAS with sharing enabled, or just using attached storage at the player.
post #2097 of 5022 Old 01-11-2014, 11:48 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:

I still am a huge fan of the ABT chip, at least as it was implemented by OPPO. Not sure how
similar the implementation is on the Denon. But I still use my old OPPO 983 for DVDs, because
I think the ABT notably (not dramatically) beats out the Mediatek for upscaling them.

Of course that doesn't address any other sources. Just a note of personal experience.
post #2098 of 5022 Old 01-11-2014, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

If you're trying to use Windows Media Player / Media Center, that's part of your problems. If you have Windows 8, don't bother trying to use file sharing. If you have Windows 7, read up on file sharing. Alternatives are some sort of NAS with sharing enabled, or just using attached storage at the player.

I have yet to get smb access to any of our comps working, but I am not really sweating it yet since I have the PC itself hooked to the AVR and DLNA works suprisingly well.

And Windows in particular is always flaky with network shares.
(Shares have been up and working for years on our LAN so need to figure out what the oppo needs)
Thinking more along the lines of getting an external disk, that way I can even access my stuff without having to turn on the the beast.

Mainly what I'm trying to say is network sharing can cumbersome and there will most likely be an easier solution (for example an external USB drive)
post #2099 of 5022 Old 01-11-2014, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
I made some tests with Oppo 103D, its a nice streaming machine
With this numbers it can Stream High Bitraite blu-ray (lossless) with no issues.

Synology ( FW DSM 4.2 3211) to Oppo 103D (FW 10XEU-67-1204 ) european version

DLNA

Jellyfish HD audio* - OK
Jellyfish 90mbps - OK
Jellyfish 100mbps - FAIL

Update
NFS (Doesnt recognize external HD attached to synology by USB )

Jellyfish HD audio* - OK
Jellyfish 90mbps- OK
Jellyfish 100mbps FAIL

Samba
Jellyfish HD audio* - FAIL
Jellyfish 70mbps - FAIL
Jellyfish 80mbps - FAIL

* Jellyfish Hd audio is a file made by @Mede8er1, the CEO of Mede8er media players

USB

Jellyfish HD audio - OK
Jellyfish 90mbps - OK
Jellyfish 100mbps - OK
Jellyfish 110mbps - OK
Jellyfish 120mbps - FAIL

ompe.jpg

pkeq.JPG

Projector Mitsubishi HC5

Projector Optoma hd300x 

Av receiver Onkyo TX-NR 818

Oppo 103D

Media player Med1000x3D

KEN KREISEL DXD-808 

Q7000 5.1

post #2100 of 5022 Old 01-11-2014, 03:09 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post

With more and more movies coming out with Mastered in 4K in EXPANDED Colors do we ever expect that Oppo will ever give us the option of using the gamut xvYCC.? Yesterday I tested the amazing Spider man in Expanded color on three blu-ray players 1/ Oppo 103D, 2/ Panasonic DMP BDT 110 with xvYCC , 3/ my mates Panasonic DMP BDT 330 with xvYCC and the two of us came up with the same conclusion that the Oppo gave the overall sharpest picture in general but on particular scenes the Panasonic DMP BDT 330 and even the 110 had better colors than the Oppo.
Could the Oppo have the gamut xvYCC added via a firmware update or would it need a hardware upgrade (new model) to add this feature.

Bump.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page