post #1531 of 4616 Old 12-05-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalAV View Post

Does this mean the Darbee streaking issue isn't actually fixed in the beta release?
No. The fix was included in the last beta.

Oppo Beta Group
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 4616 Old 12-05-2013, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hii everyone; I plan on replacing my oppo 83 with darby 103D, my question is using harmony 880 and dishl 622 sat box running through the oppo and out to my avr receiver and from there out to my display--how do I program the 880 harmony and the oppo to make it work with the sat box, is the oppo still considered a dvd player under that setup; any harmony owners sure appreciate how you set it up. Thanks Michael
post #1533 of 4616 Old 12-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalAV View Post

Quote:
14. Resolved a visible streaking issue observed on the BDP-103D player. Customers reported that after turning on the Darbee processing, they could see streaks or stripes in the background details, which became more obvious after increasing the Darbee level or switching to Full-Pop mode. This issue has been resolved in the official release.

Does this mean the Darbee streaking issue isn't actually fixed in the beta release?

No. It is fixed in both the 1120B Public Beta and in tonight's 1204 Official firmware. Official release notes report changes from the prior Official release, except in rare cases like the J River issue just fixed.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1534 of 4616 Old 12-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlemike View Post

Hii everyone; I plan on replacing my oppo 83 with darby 103D, my question is using harmony 880 and dishl 622 sat box running through the oppo and out to my avr receiver and from there out to my display--how do I program the 880 harmony and the oppo to make it work with the sat box, is the oppo still considered a dvd player under that setup; any harmony owners sure appreciate how you set it up. Thanks Michael

Logitech Harmony lists the 103D in their database as a "Mini System". This let's them deal with the fact that it has Inputs which the remote will likely need to select.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1535 of 4616 Old 12-05-2013, 09:43 PM

Thanks, just what I needed to know. Michael
post #1536 of 4616 Old 12-05-2013, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Does bd 103D play iso format from DLNA server?
Thanks.
post #1537 of 4616 Old 12-05-2013, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 170
It does not, no. ISO is not supported at all, either is BDMV architecture unless you modify the files.
post #1538 of 4616 Old 12-06-2013, 12:54 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus87 View Post

Thanks for the response. Just to make sure I'm understanding, by soft you mean that the image doesn't look quite as crisp or sharp as it should being a high-definition source? And yeah, a 105D might make things somewhat easier.
Thanks for the thorough response. Just a couple of follow up questions:

Yes, as many have noted, there is a loss of sharpness using HDMI 1 on the 103/105.. Back in February when I got the 103, I compared the Oppo both wiht Blu-Rays and DVDs to a 2012 Panasonic BR player. I was surprised how much better the Panasonic 2012 player looked over the Oppo. This was almost immediately noticeable to me. And frankly, quite surprised with all the rave reviews on the Oppo 103. Also, at the time, HDM2 has a reported color space issue, so really no good work around. I did not like the solution of sharpness set to +1 on HDMI 1. Sent the unit back.

Right before my return window closed, I gave the 103D with Darbee a good workout on DVDs. The Panasonic still did very well, but with the Darbee, the DVDs looked as good or better, But it was tough to see much difference- this was good. And I always wanted the digital media support of the Oppo for audio, but was not willing to give up video quality for it.

I kept the 103dD. Now with support for Apple Lossless format, I am quite pleased.
Invictus87 likes this.
post #1539 of 4616 Old 12-06-2013, 04:03 AM

Liked: 11
I'm running a BDP-95 with an external Darbee. I'm considering selling that stuff and getting a BDP-103D. Would that get me the same video quality? I'm wondering if the built in Darbee is watered down or something else I have not considered.

Chris

post #1540 of 4616 Old 12-06-2013, 04:05 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscpm View Post

I'm running a BDP-95 with an external Darbee. I'm considering selling that stuff and getting a BDP-103D. Would that get me the same video quality? I'm wondering if the built in Darbee is watered down or something else I have not considered.

No, they are the same.

-Bill
post #1541 of 4616 Old 12-06-2013, 06:12 AM

Liked: 11
what about the video processor Will the 103D be better, worse or the same as the 95? I guess I'd loose the darbee on the Sat feed, but that is not as big a deal. The darbee really made an improvement on the way to big screen I run - 160 in scope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

No, they are the same.

-Bill

Chris

post #1542 of 4616 Old 12-06-2013, 06:16 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscpm View Post

what about the video processor Will the 103D be better, worse or the same as the 95? I guess I'd loose the darbee on the Sat feed, but that is not as big a deal. The darbee really made an improvement on the way to big screen I run - 160 in scope.

Both solutions have their advantages. The QDEO has noise reduction and sharpening for poor quality video sources. VRS on the -103D is probably not as sophisticated, but may be adequate. (I'm going by anecdote and theory here; I just live with poor sources, I don't try to improve them).

Darbee works best on video that is already good quality.

-Bill
post #1543 of 4616 Old 12-06-2013, 06:59 AM

I have both 103 and 103 D but since i got 103D and on my Sony HX-729 with calibrated 103 performance look good on my Dish HD receiver (mostly SD content upconverted to 1080i by receiver) but
if i take out 103 and putting 103 D background on my Sony led look more Whites brown so i am loosing contrast little bit but in 103 background remain blackness brown so i got maximum performance
on 103 but 103D i have little bit whites background (is that streaking?????) any suggestion on my set up i am doing wrong...

Got it....My side...Connection issue.....resolve......great.....
post #1544 of 4616 Old 12-06-2013, 08:50 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus87 View Post

Thanks for the thorough response. Just a couple of follow up questions:
1. Are you saying that a higher setting on the Darbee makes film look like video, like much higher than the Hi-Def 32% you use, I absolutely loathe the soap opera effect on lcds these days. I know the Darbee is not frame interpolation, but I do like to make sure my film looks like film.
2. In regards to the noise reduction that produces softness, are you saying that that only really occurs on standard-def (DVDs) material? Is it less of or a non-issue with Blu-rays?
3. If I want to use the HDMI1 output for the Qdeo on DVDs to upscale, by selecting Source Direct would I be essentially getting the same picture I would on the 103D with Darbee off, or would the Qdeo still be negatively impacting the image?
4. This is pretty much a general question for everyone, even though amazing Blu-ray playback is my top priority, is there a drastic difference between the 103D and the 103/105 on DVD scaling/PQ, Qdeo, Darbee or otherwise which of these is considered to be the best for standard def DVD playback.

1. Tough to answer questions about the Darbee as the effect it gives off is highly subjective. Some love it, even at high settings. Others hate even just a little of it. I personally like the effect in small doses with most content. The latest firmware allows fine-tuning between 0-120. I personally can't see the benefit of using anything other than hi-def mode, but that's just me. Other very well respected folks have recommended settings in all modes for all different kind of sources. Basically, if you constantly fiddle with video settings, as I do, the Darbee is a fun tool. As to my statement about high settings making film look like video: it's not really the soap opera effect I'm talking about. Settings north of 45 or so on Blu-ray with my setup make the image start to look digitized. Not sure how else to put it.
2. Yes. For a few of us, The QDEO on the 103/105 adding NR to noisy sources created a softer look than I was used to, but it also eliminated ringing and produced richer color too. This was always a bit of a trade off in my mind. Even though I don't like having noise reduction applied, I hate ringing even more. On my 103, I left the main output as HDM1. Blu-rays and most HD Broadcast TV were never a problem for me. Blu-ray really looks spectacular through the QDEO. I never had any complaints with that and I'm not sure I remember anyone else having them either, honestly.
3. HDM1 on the 103D with the Darbee set to 0 = HDMI2 on the 103/105. Some used source direct to counter problems they had with a soft picture on Netflix in particular. I never resorted to that so I can't say much about it. I'd simply state that source direct mode is still fairly unique to Oppo and something else you can try to get a pure video pass thru or as another point of comparison as you search for the set-up that is right for you.
4. The difference between the Mediatek chip and the Marvel QDEO is not drastic in my opinion. It wasn't even noticeable to some. I did see some differences and wished I could have turned the forced noise reduction on the QDEO off, but this was not to be. I learned to live with a slightly softer, but slightly less noisy DVD image. I've only played with the Darbee on a couple of DVDs but it has been hard for me to find a setting I like. The Darbee doesn't just sharpen the details of the story you're watching it sharpens the film grain, and worse, the digital noise and compression artifacts found on most DVDs. While the Darbee is still far superior to adding in +1 or +2 Sharpness (which I'm already on record as hating) there is such a thing as too sharp a picture. And for me a little enhancement goes a lot further, a lot quicker on 480i stuff than on Hi-Def where there's a bit more room to roam.

That ought to do it for me.
audiomixer and Invictus87 like this.

post #1545 of 4616 Old 12-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

It does not, no. ISO is not supported at all, either is BDMV architecture unless you modify the files.

Thanks. Does it support MOV files?
post #1546 of 4616 Old 12-06-2013, 12:13 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by usxplong View Post

Thanks. Does it support MOV files?

Yes, although the A/V codecs inside the MOV container must also be supported. See the FAQ: What are the supported media container and file types?

-Bill
post #1547 of 4616 Old 12-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, although the A/V codecs inside the MOV container must also be supported. See the FAQ: What are the supported media container and file types?

-Bill

Thanks.
post #1548 of 4616 Old 12-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Read the FAQ!

OPPO UK has now posted the Official 1204 firmware for the EU versions of the 103/105/103D

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/customer-services/firmware-updates/

--Bob

post #1549 of 4616 Old 12-06-2013, 06:48 PM

Liked: 12
Recently upgraded an old Sony XBR set to a Samsung F8500 (delivery next week). Also looking to upgrade the DVD from my current Oppo DV-980H.

Trying to decide between the 103 and 103D. Does the Darby (103D) require constant setting tweakings, or can be used largely "out of the box" with noticeable benefits over the 103?

If it does need to be tweaked, is this mostly a "one and done" process? Reason I ask is that like my 12 year old Sony - which still looks and plays great, my intent is to have the 8500 ISF calibrated when it comes. Just trying to gauge if I should have the 103D also calibrated - or if it isn't needed.

Apologies if these are newbie questions. I've tried reading all the threads the past few days - but most of the talk is admittedly above me.
post #1550 of 4616 Old 12-06-2013, 06:52 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTOM9 View Post

Recently upgraded an old Sony XBR set to a Samsung F8500 (delivery next week). Also looking to upgrade the DVD from my current Oppo DV-980H.

Trying to decide between the 103 and 103D. Does the Darby (103D) require constant setting tweakings, or can be used largely "out of the box" with noticeable benefits over the 103?

If it does need to be tweaked, is this mostly a "one and done" process? Reason I ask is that like my 12 year old Sony - which still looks and plays great, my intent is to have the 8500 ISF calibrated when it comes. Just trying to gauge if I should have the 103D also calibrated - or if it isn't needed.

Apologies if these are newbie questions. I've tried reading all the threads the past few days - but most of the talk is admittedly above me.

People experiment with Darbee settings for a while, then usually find a setting they like. Not too much, not too little, but just right. Then it's done.

-Bill
CTOM9 and Smarty-pants like this.
post #1551 of 4616 Old 12-06-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:

People experiment with Darbee settings for a while, then usually find a setting they like. Not too much, not too little, but just right. Then it's done.

-Bill

Thanks Bill. I'll take that as a vote to get the 103D vs. the standard 103? (Money isn't a determining factor)
post #1552 of 4616 Old 12-06-2013, 07:19 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Thanks Bill. I'll take that as a vote to get the 103D vs. the standard 103? (Money isn't a determining factor)

They both have their strengths, as I wrote a few posts above. The Darbee is new technology and does things no enhancement control has done before, so it is fun to mess with. Even people who don't like video enhancements appreciate it at a low level.

On the other hand: I could live without it.

-Bill
post #1553 of 4616 Old 12-06-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 102
@ CTOM9

Bill is of course correct on his response, once you find a good setting, most people do stick with it.
I personally keep mine at 50% and rarely change it, but I do sometimes lower it a little if I see an image is looking too processed.
Many people will keep theirs even lower, as low as 20-25%. Anything more than 50% is too much for most content... IMHO.
So sometimes you may find the need to dial it up or down based on particular content, it really all depends on your personal preferences.
Since the player offers 3 different "mode" settings, you could put in 3 different settings and easily switch between them if desired.
There is also a Darbee button right on the remote where you can change it on the fly.
And again you can just find a middle-of-the-road comfortable setting like maybe 35% and leave it there.

As far as having the player calibrated, there shouldn't be a need for that.
However the calibrator may possibly want to take advantage of some of the "enhancement" features in the video settings.
Again that may be a personal preference as to how you want your image to look, and should be discussed directly with your calibrator.

Having said all that, as far as how the Darbee affects your calibrated image... it shouldn't affect it adversely, as long as you don't dial it up too high.
The higher you dial it up, you will see some degradation on test patterns, but in real world viewing it's all relative as to how you think the image looks best to your own eyes
You can have Darbee on at a low to mid setting and still enjoy your calibrated settings.

My first experience with Darbee Visual Presence was when I started using the 103D, and I was skeptical at first.
However after having used it for some months now, I really like it and recommend anyone to get the BDP-103D.
Having the choice to choose between the -103 and the -103D, I would definitely get the -103D.
Oppo + Darbee = Awesomeness biggrin.gif

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #1554 of 4616 Old 12-06-2013, 07:52 PM

Thanks Bill and Dave. Just ordered the 103D.
post #1555 of 4616 Old 12-06-2013, 08:42 PM

Ok, now that I've just purchased the 103D, I'm starting to envision the setup. In essence it's the TV (Samsung 8500) with Verizion FIOS service and the Oppo as the two video sources.

Reading the 103D specs, I presume I can go :

1. FIOS HDMI out to Oppo HDMI in
2. Oppo HDMI out to 8500 HDMI in

Only reason I'm suggesting step #1 above (vs. traditional FIOS HDMI out to 8500 HDMI in) is in reading the 103D specs, any video input being run through the Opp should be processed with Darby. Am I understanding this correctly?

If so, then my last question would be for sound. In #1 above, should sound also go from FIOS to 103 to receiver, or should/could the sound go from FIOS direct to receiver?

Thanks again
post #1556 of 4616 Old 12-06-2013, 08:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

Ok, now that I've just purchased the 103D, I'm starting to envision the setup. In essence it's the TV (Samsung 8500) with Verizion FIOS service and the Oppo as the two video sources.

Reading the 103D specs, I presume I can go :

1. FIOS HDMI out to Oppo HDMI in
2. Oppo HDMI out to 8500 HDMI in

Only reason I'm suggesting step #1 above (vs. traditional FIOS HDMI out to 8500 HDMI in) is in reading the 103D specs, any video input being run through the Opp should be processed with Darby. Am I understanding this correctly?

If so, then my last question would be for sound. In #1 above, should sound also go from FIOS to 103 to receiver, or should/could the sound go from FIOS direct to receiver?

Thanks again

Everything you mentioned can be done, and as you suggest, it's may be better to run your STB through the player so you have the advantage of Darbee enhancement.

As for the audio, you can go either way, but keep in mind also that there are 2 hdmi outputs, AND they can be split up so that you use HDMI-out1 for video and HDMI-out2 for audio. In that setup you would input both audio and video into the player.
So if you do that, then you would run HDMI-out1 to your display for video, and then HDMI-out2 to your receiver for audio. wink.gif
CTOM9 likes this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #1557 of 4616 Old 12-06-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Everything you mentioned can be done, and as you suggest, it's may be better to run your STB through the player so you have the advantage of Darbee enhancement.

As for the audio, you can go either way, but keep in mind also that there are 2 hdmi outputs, AND they can be split up so that you use HDMI-out1 for video and HDMI-out2 for audio. In that setup you would input both audio and video into the player.
So if you do that, then you would run HDMI-out1 to your display for video, and then HDMI-out2 to your receiver for audio. wink.gif

Thank you!!! Your time and input are greatly appreciated. 👍👍👍

Now it's time to upgrade the receiver and then I fear the speakers. So much for 'just' ordering a new tv! Not even 24 hours later and both a new DVD player and sub are on order....... smile.gif
post #1558 of 4616 Old 12-07-2013, 06:27 AM

Liked: 15
Has anyone any opinion on the qdeo vs Vrs and which is considered superior? Thanks
post #1559 of 4616 Old 12-07-2013, 06:34 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leev View Post

Has anyone any opinion on the qdeo vs Vrs and which is considered superior? Thanks

This is often discussed. The issue is superior in what way?

The noise reduction and sharpening options on Qdeo can improve low-quality video sources, but the Darbee provides contrast enhancement that is not comparable to anything else. It works best on good quality sources.

-Bill
post #1560 of 4616 Old 12-07-2013, 07:11 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

This is often discussed. The issue is superior in what way?

The noise reduction and sharpening options on Qdeo can improve low-quality video sources, but the Darbee provides contrast enhancement that is not comparable to anything else. It works best on good quality sources.

-Bill

Thanks bill.

I was thinking more of direct comparison between the qdeo and clearview in terms of how they compare in improving low quality sources.

thanks.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread