Official Sony BDP-S1200, BDP-S3200, BDP-S4200, BDP-S5200, BDP-S6200, and BDP-S7200 - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1796 Old 02-18-2014, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post

I seriously doubt that price will remain at that point forever. If anything, it will get cheaper over time.

While I don't doubt it, I've seen reps from the few labels that have DSD downloads available claim they're going to hold the line on just how much they cut prices . Heck, after all of these years, places like HD tracks are still charging more for a 96/24 stereo FLAC than what the SACD version with a multi-channel layer costs.

I'd like to go download only for my music buying, but the prices are unbelievably uncompetitive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1796 Old 02-18-2014, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobias View Post

With the "image enhacements on", who wins in blu ray PQ?

and bitstreaming HD audio¿?

Thanks

Pretty much the same. Audio certainly is for bitstream out.

If youre just going to play BDs then any of these low cost players would be fine.
post #363 of 1796 Old 02-18-2014, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post

odds are if it happened on older models its happening on this model. i think earlier in this thread a poster mentioned this issue is hit or miss with different folk.

if that is a main concern for you, then pass on this box and get an oppo or some other box that has no issues.

The only data point I can give you is that I tried two problematic MKVs with DTS-MA, and both played fine on the 6200 ... but thats not alot of data to make any reasonable judgement.
marctronixx likes this.
post #364 of 1796 Old 02-18-2014, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by von Levi View Post

While I don't doubt it, I've seen reps from the few labels that have DSD downloads available claim they're going to hold the line on just how much they cut prices . Heck, after all of these years, places like HD tracks are still charging more for a 96/24 stereo FLAC than what the SACD version with a multi-channel layer costs.

I'd like to go download only for my music buying, but the prices are unbelievably uncompetitive.

Quite, but I care of certain specific labels much more than others. I want those labels to stay in business as long as possible, hence they will get my support regardless.
post #365 of 1796 Old 02-18-2014, 08:52 PM

I received my S6200 from Amazon today.

Let me first start with what I don't think anyone else has confirmed:

It does support multichannel DFF files. This was a pleasant surprise. And the signal stays in DSD from the USB drive to the A/V receiver -- no PCM conversion.

(For those wondering, I got my test files from: http://www.2l.no/hires/)

So far I'm very impressed. Blu-ray load times are fast; Netflix is super fast -- it almost always starts up at optimal video quality (or it takes about a second to get there).

I also feel like the picture is a bit sharper, colors more saturated than my Roku and older Sony.

Some people were having issues with DD+ on Netflix -- it comes on by default.

General menu interface is the same as previous Sony Blu-ray players.

Amazon still not available (the message says it's coming soon).

The unit it self is very small. Remote has also relatively small, but I find it to be pretty comfortable and well laid out. Still only a shortcut button for Netflix.

Dare I say it, but with the multichannel DFF and FLAC support, continued DSD over HDMI, it gives the Oppo a pretty good run for it's money, especially when you consider that it's over half as cheap.
marctronixx and Iain- like this.
post #366 of 1796 Old 02-18-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by von Levi View Post

I received my S6200 from Amazon today.

Dare I say it, but with the multichannel DFF and FLAC support, continued DSD over HDMI, it gives the Oppo a pretty good run for it's money, especially when you consider that it's over half as cheap.

That is an understatement, lol.

It is 65% cheaper!

:)

marctronixx likes this.
post #367 of 1796 Old 02-18-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

That is an understatement, lol.

It is 65% cheaper!

smile.gif

Heh. I'm sure someone is going to tell me how completely wrong I am, but multichannel DFF, DSF and FLAC support in a sub $200 player takes a big bite at Oppo.
marctronixx likes this.
post #368 of 1796 Old 02-19-2014, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thinking I'll wait and see if CNet or Sound and Vision down grades the 6200 to 4 or 4 and a half stars on the blu ray quality and video up conversion.

May buy the 790 if its even a small step down.
post #369 of 1796 Old 02-19-2014, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was in the BestBuy in Baytown TX today and noticed they were putting out some s3200's on the shelf. I'm hoping they get some S6200 soon. I have some reward zone money I'd like to put towards one. Should be soon, its already listed on there website.
post #370 of 1796 Old 02-19-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Warrior View Post

Thinking I'll wait and see if CNet or Sound and Vision down grades the 6200 to 4 or 4 and a half stars on the blu ray quality and video up conversion.

May buy the 790 if its even a small step down.

If it matters that much, why not buy an Oppo? Otherwise, you might always wonder....
marctronixx likes this.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

post #371 of 1796 Old 02-19-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post

If it matters that much, why not buy an Oppo? Otherwise, you might always wonder....

Wonder if you paid an extra $320 for.... no real reason?

:)

post #372 of 1796 Old 02-19-2014, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

Wonder if you paid an extra $320 for.... no real reason?

smile.gif

Actually you kind of have to add a Roku to the Oppo too for similar capabilities to the Sony.

I have a Oppo103D + Roku3, and the 6200 ... even though the 6200 is getting swapped out for a replacement due to a issue that prevented it from starting up.

I prefer the Oppo over the Sony for local file playback mainly because the Oppo can output 1080p/24 and can shuffle video playback. Its also never had a issue with TrueHD or DTS-MA
I prefer the Roku for streaming over the Sony, although only by a small amount. Roku really got their act together with the Roku3. Its a nice little device thats lightening fast. I also have created a few Roku channels so am now a bit biased.
For disk playback, I dont really see any difference between the two.

However value for money, you can't go wrong with the 6200, and in a way its the sensible choice for a single device solution.
post #373 of 1796 Old 02-20-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

I prefer the Oppo over the Sony for local file playback mainly because the Oppo can output 1080p/24 and can shuffle video playback. Its also never had a issue with TrueHD or DTS-MA

I asked for this but I think nobody answered, so it is confirmed that it doesn't output 24p from MKV??
post #374 of 1796 Old 02-20-2014, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Got my 4200 today, now I've noticed a few things.

M2TS files with Subtitles now work, I thought it was something to do with the DLNA profile I set on my Synology NAS, that's not the case as I doubled checked and they do not work on the S490. So in this regard I'm happy.

Now MKV with DTSHD seem a bit hit and miss when it comes to forwarding etc, sometimes it'll be fine and others it will stop playing, this doesn't happen with all DTSHD MKV's though. Chapters do work so its not that all that bad, I tried various DLNA profiles and the ones that stop playing do the same no matter what, I will test those files via USB later on.

In terms of sound I've not noticed a difference at all, however the PQ does seem to be slightly better, (colours, detail etc)
post #375 of 1796 Old 02-20-2014, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacari72 View Post

I asked for this but I think nobody answered, so it is confirmed that it doesn't output 24p from MKV??

Yes, that's correct. 60p output only for local file media and streaming media.
marctronixx likes this.
post #376 of 1796 Old 02-21-2014, 09:03 AM

Anyone having issue's linking their blu-ray player with a SEN Account ? I entered the activation code on my account and its not done anything.

Edit: Just noticed that Amazon's Instant video streaming will be available to UK prime holders:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/prime/pipeline/landing?ie=UTF8&primeCampaignId=preLaunchPVDEUK&ref=memberSWMpreannounce

Am I right in assuming the Amazon app listed under video on the player is for the above ?
post #377 of 1796 Old 02-21-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaim View Post

Anyone having issue's linking their blu-ray player with a SEN Account ? I entered the activation code on my account and its not done anything.

Edit: Just noticed that Amazon's Instant video streaming will be available to UK prime holders:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/prime/pipeline/landing?ie=UTF8&primeCampaignId=preLaunchPVDEUK&ref=memberSWMpreannounce

Am I right in assuming the Amazon app listed under video on the player is for the above ?

I just did this last night without issue. I registered my S6200 and also realized i had never registered one of my S5100s. I entered the code and I had access right away to SEN content. I looked at several things while there. Well the previews. it looked pretty good.

I thought I read earlier that Amazon is supposed to release their streaming player next month. If the S6200 doesn't get a new Amazon streaming app, I might be picking up one of the AMazon streamers.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #378 of 1796 Old 02-21-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I just did this last night without issue. I registered my S6200 and also realized i had never registered one of my S5100s. I entered the code and I had access right away to SEN content. I looked at several things while there. Well the previews. it looked pretty good.

I thought I read earlier that Amazon is supposed to release their streaming player next month. If the S6200 doesn't get a new Amazon streaming app, I might be picking up one of the AMazon streamers.

THanks for replying, not sure what the issue is, will have to contact sony, I had my S490 linked without a problem.

"I've checked and can see that your 2013 Sony TV and 2014 Sony Blu-ray player are compatible with Prime Instant Video.

You can also search for devices compatible with Prime Instant Video at the link below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dv/devices "

That's what Amazon said when I asked if my devices would work.

Edit: I've also noticed a slight issue when forwarding M2TS files, when you're forwarding and you press play there's at least a 5 second delay before it starts to play. Have you noticed this Aaronwt?
post #379 of 1796 Old 02-21-2014, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Got the 6200 2 days after launch and was able to sign up that night with no problems. I was also able to add it to the remote control app I use on a tablet as well.
post #380 of 1796 Old 02-21-2014, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaim View Post

Love film is being rebranded amazon prime instant video in the uk. Does your uk Sony BDP already have a love film app?
post #381 of 1796 Old 02-21-2014, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Perhaps I should post this in the deals section but sonyrewards dot com with a sony Visa card, prices are

1200: $69
3200: $89
6200: $129
marctronixx likes this.
post #382 of 1796 Old 02-21-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Love film is being rebranded amazon prime instant video in the uk. Does your uk Sony BDP already have a love film app?

Yeah there is an app called (Amazon/Lovefilm)
post #383 of 1796 Old 02-22-2014, 07:19 AM

Liked: 14

I'm in the UK and I've just received my S6200.

I've got a major issue connecting to the net.  I've set up a wired connection and I can browse the net from the S6200.  The problem starts when I try to update video internet service.  It simply doesn't work.

I've tried different cables, wireless connections, resetting the S6200 and my router, but none of this has made any difference at all.  I've got an old S370 which connects without problem through the same network.

I've contacted Sony, but all they've done so far is ask for more details.  

I think there's something wrong with it.  Any suggestions welcomed

post #384 of 1796 Old 02-22-2014, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In device/player settings goto information and see if the player is able to connect to Sonys provisioning servers. These servers handle player authentication and the gateway to the apps. It's very possible the 6200 simply hasn't being added to these servers for uk use yet .... Sounds like one sony dept not talking to another.

Kind of like the vudu and amazon app issue in the USA not switched on yet.
marctronixx and wonkycows like this.
post #385 of 1796 Old 02-23-2014, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Can anyone post a photo of how the SRT subtitle (normally muxed in mkv) rendering looks like?
My old Sony S380 SRT subtitle rendering looks low-res and ugly.
post #386 of 1796 Old 02-23-2014, 03:52 AM

Thanks for that apw2607

In the end the problem was a networking one.  For some reason the s6200 couldn't get the proper settings from my router.  This is strange as every other network device I own has no trouble at all.  So the solution was in fact to connect to the router manually and enter my own settings.  I can across this article on the Sony eSupport network, which help a bit once I'd realized what needed to be done.  It's for a different player, but the principle works the same.

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35254

I must say that it does seem a little odd to me that a consumer unit like the s6200 should ever require anyone to work through networking situations like this just to get it to work.  I've spent a total of 7 hours fixing this issue.  And I'm not saying that no one else who buys a s6200 will not have networking skill to fix this issue if it occurs for them, but I think most people just want to plug it in and for it to work straight off the bat.

I have to say though that the picture and sound quality on netflix through the player is so much better than I've ever seen before.  Blew me away to be honest.  And in every other aspect the s6200 has impressed greatly,  it's just that one annoying issue, but now that's solved all good.

Hope me experiences help anyone else who encounters this issue

marctronixx likes this.
post #387 of 1796 Old 02-23-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkycows View Post

Thanks for that apw2607
In the end the problem was a networking one.  For some reason the s6200 couldn't get the proper settings from my router.  This is strange as every other network device I own has no trouble at all.  So the solution was in fact to connect to the router manually and enter my own settings.  I can across this article on the Sony eSupport network, which help a bit once I'd realized what needed to be done.  It's for a different player, but the principle works the same.

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35254

I must say that it does seem a little odd to me that a consumer unit like the s6200 should ever require anyone to work through networking situations like this just to get it to work.  I've spent a total of 7 hours fixing this issue.  And I'm not saying that no one else who buys a s6200 will not have networking skill to fix this issue if it occurs for them, but I think most people just want to plug it in and for it to work straight off the bat.

I have to say though that the picture and sound quality on netflix through the player is so much better than I've ever seen before.  Blew me away to be honest.  And in every other aspect the s6200 has impressed greatly,  it's just that one annoying issue, but now that's solved all good.

Hope me experiences help anyone else who encounters this issue

I think I had a similar problem with a Panasonic player I bought a couple of years ago. In the last fifteen years, out of hundreds of network devices I've usef at home, I've only run across two or three devices with this issue. Although fortunately my S6200 was not one of them with my Asus RT-N56U router running the Padvan firmware.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #388 of 1796 Old 02-23-2014, 06:31 AM

I'm looked into a router with my ISP, so even though I'd love to get a better one, I can't.  Not that there's anything wrong with the one the ISP's provided though.

I've heard from some people saying that they've had this problem with Sony bluray players in the past.  Haven't heard about any other makes with this problem until now, when you told us about the Panasonic.

I suppose it's a luck thing.  Bound to happen with the complexity of all these devices in the end though.  Nice to know I'm not alone in having this issue, but it'd be better if no one ever had to jump through this many hoops (for 7 hours) to fix what is such a common device these days. i.e. a network player.

Thanks for you're help again.

Without forums like these we'd all be a lot worse off i think.

Imagine just having to rely on the manufacturer for support.  We'd all be stuffed. Lol

post #389 of 1796 Old 02-23-2014, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just read this review of the S3200 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R9UB30ZKZ7LD8/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00HPMCO4Q&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

It says regarding the Quick Load/Start functionality:
Quote:
"1. QUICK LOAD/START - The BDP-S3200 does start up to the home screen from Off/Standby almost instantaneously. It is quite impressive! Movies load much, much quicker compared to my Panasonic BD60 blu-ray player which came out in 2009. The downside of Quick Start/Load is that the blu-ray player only does a soft shut off. Even when turned off, the motor in the BDP-S3200 often runs, therefore making it ready to go at a moment's notice. Sitting on my couch about 9 feet away I can hear the BDP-S3200 humming away continually whether it's off or on. I once tipped the blu-ray player forward to look at the connection plugs in the back and could hear the blu-ray disc in the player grind against something as the disc spun around even though the blu-ray player was turned off. If you are thinking, just disable Quick Start/Load in the menus, not so fast. If you plan to use Sony's TVSideView smartphone app as a remote for the BDP-S3200, Quick Start/Load MUST be turned on. The only times I've noticed the player's motor not run when it is off is when I hit the Stop button followed by the Off button when watching a blu-ray or video from a hard drive or thumb drive."

So I just wonder if anyone can confirm this? Does the disc really not stop spinning even if you turn the blu-ray player off?
post #390 of 1796 Old 02-23-2014, 08:55 AM

Not in my BDPS6200.  I don't leave discs in the machine anyway.  How can it spin anything if you take the disc out and why would it?

marctronixx likes this.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page