Official Sony BDP-S1200, BDP-S3200, BDP-S4200, BDP-S5200, BDP-S6200, and BDP-S7200 - Page 36 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1051 of 1788 Old 06-17-2014, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadec22 View Post
Just wanted to share my quick experience with the Sony s6200... I own a Denon DBT-3313, so my comparison is to that machine. Obviously the Denon is much more expensive, but so is the OPPO that this thread regularly references. With the Sony being so highly regarding and the Best Buy ad putting the player under 150.00 I decided to purchased one. My father had purchased this model about a month ago, but returned it. We are in two different, non-adjacent states (not that it matters).

His experience: Fired the unit up, never updated firmware. After a half dozen uses, the player completely froze and could not recover even when unplugged. It was returned the week it was purchased.

My experience: I immediately installed and updated to the latest firmware. I fired up Prometheus blu-ray just to test PQ. It was a nice picture but very clearly inferior to the much more expensive Denon. I didn't mind. The unit was meant to be a value purchase. I did not have time to watch the film, just checked things out. On the second day, I fired up a standard DVD, watched approx. 30 min then stopped the film. The image was a far cry from the Denon. It was an older DVD, but virtually unwatchable on to my eyes on the Sony. I took the disc out, but left my entire HT on while I stepped away for about an hour. When I came back, I was going to throw in a blu-ray, but found the unit completely frozen and unresponsive to remote or buttons. I hard powered it off, then on and it did indeed begin to work properly. I watched my movie without issue.

Given my dad's experience and my similar one, it's going back. I'm within the return window, so it seems a no-brainer. My dad exchanged for a Samsung f7500, which he is extremely happy with so far. Again, all just FYI...

It might be helpful if you could provide some addition details.

What was it about the picture that made it 'clearly inferior' when watching Blu-rays from the Sony? What about DVDs?

Did you compare the players using the same display? Using the same input/settings?

Regarding the freezing issue, did you try turning off quick start to resolve?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1788 Old 06-17-2014, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 27
It is a little unfair, which I pointed out in my post. I thought I would mention it though because several in this thread compare the PQ of the Sony to Oppo.

I didn't feel the need to call anybody. Two players that both had lock up issues is enough for me to get my money back and buy a better player. I have several BD players that have never frozen, why keep the one within return period?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
ToonMasterTim likes this.

Denon X4000
Emotiva LPA-1
Epson 5020ub::::100" ES Cinewhite
PS4::::Toshiba HD-A35::::Marantz UD5007::::Darbee 5000
Martin Logan Stage center::::Martin Logan Aerius I::::Martin Logan Scripts
PSA XV15:::::PSA XV15se
post #1053 of 1788 Old 06-17-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post
It might be helpful if you could provide some addition details.

What was it about the picture that made it 'clearly inferior' when watching Blu-rays from the Sony? What about DVDs?

Did you compare the players using the same display? Using the same input/settings?

Regarding the freezing issue, did you try turning off quick start to resolve?
Same AVR and projector. The BD image on the Sony was much more color saturated and soft. The DVD PQ of the Sony had really soft, muddy, over saturated color. It occasionally had some slight moire show up as well.

For 150, the PQ is fine. I just didn't want anyone to get the impression that they were getting a 150.00 Oppo or other high end player.

For freezing I did not try to disable quick start. I guess IMHO you shouldn't have to disable features to get a unit to operate properly.

Denon X4000
Emotiva LPA-1
post #1054 of 1788 Old 06-17-2014, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thought I'd share the good and bad of my experience with this player. I got it as a Father's Day gift, so I've only had a couple days to play with it. My first impression was highly favorable. It played everything I threw at it, and just worked. Multi-channel SACD came through as 176.4 kHz/24 bit multi-channel PCM. Multi-channel flac worked great too. Netflix was a little slow to load, but looked beautiful. The menu introduced me to a few services I had never heard of that look pretty tempting (I had no idea the Berlin Philharmonic offers streaming concerts - the sample concert looked and sounded great! I'll probably subscribe). And I got to pick out two free movies from Sony. Nice perk!

Since that first impression, things haven't gone so well.
  • I had to unplug it 3 times yesterday because it froze up. I've turned off the quick start to see if that helps.
  • The discs I've tested for BD Live access tell me BD Live isn't available in my region. I bought the player from my local Best Buy, so region shouldn't be an issue, plus the same discs work fine on my S550. And yes, I put a thumb drive in the back.
  • I had to turn off HDMI control because, for whatever reason, turning on the player has started switching the TV to the wrong input, even though it switches to the correct input if I connect my S550 to the exact same HDMI cable, still connected to the same input on my receiver. Not a big deal, except that turning off HDMI control means I can't control the receiver volume with the player's remote.
  • Out of the blue the player started sending SACD as 44.1/16 stereo (and crappy sounding even for a CD quality signal), unless I turn off the TV. Once the TV is off I get the better signal again. Weird. Not a big deal to have the TV off for SACD, but why did this suddenly start happening?
  • I have yet to successfully play a song from a DLNA server (pictures and videos are fine).

What initially came across as a dream player now feels like a clunky compromise. Too many things don't quite work as they should. The lockups make me particularly nervous. Considering the extensive support for so many different file and disc formats I plan on keeping it, but I can't help but feel a little cheated when some of the player's features can't be used.
post #1055 of 1788 Old 06-17-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Same AVR and projector. The BD image on the Sony was much more color saturated and soft. The DVD PQ of the Sony had really soft, muddy, over saturated color. It occasionally had some slight moire show up as well.

For 150, the PQ is fine. I just didn't want anyone to get the impression that they were getting a 150.00 Oppo or other high end player.

For freezing I did not try to disable quick start. I guess IMHO you shouldn't have to disable features to get a unit to operate properly.

Was the system calibrated for the new device? Every device is different. A system needs to be tweaked for each device to maximize it's potential. You can't expect to slap a device in a system and have everything be the same.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 06-17-2014 at 01:02 PM. Reason: spelling...doH!!!
post #1056 of 1788 Old 06-17-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Was the system calibrated for the new device? Every device is different. A system needs to be tweaked for each device to maximize it's potential. You can't expect to slap a device in a system and have everything be the same.
Mine S6200 came today. Thanks for reminding me to recalibrate. I have an S570 now, but at this price I couldn't resist.
post #1057 of 1788 Old 06-17-2014, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:

I don't know if you selected 'Direct' in the video settings or not. If you already did and still got bad PQ then it could be a bad unit or something else.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1058 of 1788 Old 06-17-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I messed with players settings, if that's what you mean. outside of that when A/B comparing devices I would want as few variables as possible.

Denon X4000
Emotiva LPA-1
post #1059 of 1788 Old 06-17-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krips View Post
I don't know if you selected 'Direct' in the video settings or not. If you already did and still got bad PQ then it could be a bad unit or something else.
I did try direct. I think it's just more likely you can expect a better picture with a higher end unit, especially with regular DVD.

Denon X4000
Emotiva LPA-1
post #1060 of 1788 Old 06-17-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I did try direct. I think it's just more likely you can expect a better picture with a higher end unit, especially with regular DVD.

Then there's no point in keeping the S6200. I kept mine and returned oppo 103 because I was not able to justify a very minute detail and sharpness that oppo provided. Since I can get a similar or better result on my HTPC using MPC-HC with madVR, I simply decided to return oppo. Most likely I'll purchase their new iteration, whenever it gets released. In the mean time I have ordered Darbee darblet from Amazon. Let's see how does that works out. At least this will enhance everything connected through the Denon X4000 [emoji3]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

XBR55HX929 / AVR X4000
PS3 Slim / BDP-S6200
Roku 3 / WD TV Live /Chromecast
DT PM1000 / PC2000
DVP5000
post #1061 of 1788 Old 06-17-2014, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is there a feature I need to enable/disable in order to play 5.1 DTS HD MA or 5.1 TrueHD audio tracks on blu-ray discs through my BDP-S3200? For reference I've got both the Sony blu-ray player and PS3 hooked up to a Denon X1000 via HDMI. I just tried Dark Knight Rises on both my blu-ray player and PS3 and while playing through PS3 it shows DTS-HD MA on my receiver but through the S3200 it only shows DTS.
post #1062 of 1788 Old 06-17-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 382
^^^
Turn BD Mix Off
marctronixx likes this.
post #1063 of 1788 Old 06-17-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatupdet View Post
Is there a feature I need to enable/disable in order to play 5.1 DTS HD MA or 5.1 TrueHD audio tracks on blu-ray discs through my BDP-S3200? For reference I've got both the Sony blu-ray player and PS3 hooked up to a Denon X1000 via HDMI. I just tried Dark Knight Rises on both my blu-ray player and PS3 and while playing through PS3 it shows DTS-HD MA on my receiver but through the S3200 it only shows DTS.
From the S6200 manual:
I'm sure S3200 should have similar setting.

The HD Audio (Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, and DTS-HD Master Audio) is not output by bitstream. ,Set [BD Audio MIX Setting] in [Audio Settings] setup to [Off] (page29). ,Check that the connected AV amplifier (receiver) is compatible with each HD Audio format.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
marctronixx likes this.

XBR55HX929 / AVR X4000
PS3 Slim / BDP-S6200
Roku 3 / WD TV Live /Chromecast
DT PM1000 / PC2000
DVP5000

Last edited by krips; 06-17-2014 at 04:07 PM.
post #1064 of 1788 Old 06-17-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatupdet View Post
Make to select the HD audio track also...some blu-rays default to DD.
post #1065 of 1788 Old 06-17-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 97
So far, so good. The remote is soooo tiny. I can still use the remote from my S570. About 3x as big. It's nice to have a new toy.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1066 of 1788 Old 06-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Just picked up an S3200 to replace my PS3. When I try to view photos from my PC, some of them are just displaying a "broken" icon. These same photos displayed on the PS3, and currently display fine on the S590 I have in the other room. The difference between those that display and those that don't seems to be file size. Can anyone else confirm that Sony has imposed a file size limit on photos, somewhere in the 8-9 MB range?
post #1067 of 1788 Old 06-18-2014, 07:42 AM

Liked: 0
I found a way to resolve the issue I was having with SACD playback coming through as CD quality stereo PCM. My receiver has an option for whether to include audio in the HDMI signal sent to the TV. If I include audio in the signal sent to the TV, the player will send SACD to the receiver as 44.1/16 stereo. If I turn this option off and only send video to the TV, then the player will send SACD as hi-res 176.4/24 PCM.

But on the bad news front, the player locked up on me again, even after turning off quick start.
post #1068 of 1788 Old 06-18-2014, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Question BDP-S6200 Audio / 4k

I've just got a 4k 65X850B and the S6200. First off, it says 4k upscaling on the blu-ray player. Will the blu-ray player do a better job of upscaling than the TV? I'm guessing yes since it could do it while decoding the mpeg stream, or is it just post-processing and no better than the TV?

Secondly, I've got the blu-ray connected to the TV, and the TV to the Receiver (a yamaha htr-7065) using ARC. If the signal is Dolby Digital, the Yamaha plays surround. If the signal is DTS however the Yamaha plays 2 channel audio. o_0 I can get around it by wiring the blu-ray to the receiver with a coax but thats less ideal from a remote control perspective and I wonder if I'm missing out on audio options too. Any ideas?

Much appreciated,
Jamie
post #1069 of 1788 Old 06-18-2014, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 427
The blu-ray player uses dual core engine to upscale, your TV uses 8-core engine to do the upscaling. Let the TV do it.

Why use ARC? Connect the BD to your receiver then from receiver to TV.
marctronixx likes this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #1070 of 1788 Old 06-18-2014, 10:35 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
The blu-ray player uses dual core engine to upscale, your TV uses 8-core engine to do the upscaling. Let the TV do it.

Why use ARC? Connect the BD to your receiver then from receiver to TV.
Seems to me that 4K upscaling with only 1 HDMI output is totally pointless... My XBR can't do DTS-HD down ARC, and coax is useless, so I can choose between:

a) connecting blu-ray to TV to use 4K upscaling on blu-ray, but ****** coax audio, or
b) connecting blu-ray to receiver to get great audio, but no 4k upscaling

I'm thinking of returning the blu-ray player, but the remote for the TV works well with it, so maybe not.
post #1071 of 1788 Old 06-18-2014, 10:41 PM

How does the BDP-S6200 do upscaling? Is it post processing, or does it do it as it renders the mpeg stream? That is, does it render the 1080p image and then process that image up to 2160p, or does it decode the mpeg stream straight into a 2160p image?
post #1072 of 1788 Old 06-19-2014, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

That part I don't know, but using A/B/C comparison (using Total Recall 4K vs 6200 doing the upscaling vs the TV doing the upscaling), the TV did a far better upscaling than the player.

my home theatre

post #1073 of 1788 Old 06-19-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 752
The signal is still digital. So whether the TV does it or the BD player it should still be using the digital stream for the conversions. It's not like it's being converted to analog and then has to be converted back to digital to be converted to 4K by the TV.
marctronixx likes this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1074 of 1788 Old 06-19-2014, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The "TRUE" flagship players from Panasonic and Sony are most likely not make it's way to the American market which doesn't make any freaking sense judging by what Sony said in statement last month, and I quote Sony:

" Sony said it would register an impairment charge of 25bn yen (£145m) in its first-quarter results, "primarily due to demand for physical media contracting faster than anticipated, mainly in the European Union".

Mainly in Europe? So why these high end players like the Sony S7200 and the Panny 1700 are only being released in Europe if the market for Blu ray is contracting "mainly in Europe"?

Whatever Sony.....
post #1075 of 1788 Old 06-19-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post
The "TRUE" flagship players from Panasonic and Sony are most likely not make it's way to the American market which doesn't make any freaking sense judging by what Sony said in statement last month, and I quote Sony:

" Sony said it would register an impairment charge of 25bn yen (£145m) in its first-quarter results, "primarily due to demand for physical media contracting faster than anticipated, mainly in the European Union".

Mainly in Europe? So why these high end players like the Sony S7200 and the Panny 1700 are only being released in Europe if the market for Blu ray is contracting "mainly in Europe"?

Whatever Sony.....
Other than the case, no one (except one poster) has come up with a difference between the 6200 and 7200. So if that holds, then we have the flagship Sony player in the US.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1076 of 1788 Old 06-19-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

The 7200, IIRC, have 2 features the 6200 doesn't have: SBM-V and DSEE

my home theatre

post #1077 of 1788 Old 06-19-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 382
So just buy a dog whistle to go with your 6200 and you've almost got a 7200.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1078 of 1788 Old 06-19-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

LOL. Unfortunately dog whistle is not going to solve the problems SBM-V and DSEE solve.

my home theatre

post #1079 of 1788 Old 06-19-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
The 7200, IIRC, have 2 features the 6200 doesn't have: SBM-V and DSEE
I am sure it does, but the 6200 also has SBM and digital audio enhancement.

Whether or not Sony took the time to cook up special versions of those two things just for the 7200...I am not sure, but I would be surprised if they did.

Last edited by Nickff; 06-19-2014 at 03:11 PM.
post #1080 of 1788 Old 06-19-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought Super Bit Mapping and the Sound Enhancer are nixed from the final product (of 6200). If they are both available in the 6200 then it's only cosmetics difference between the 7200 and 6200.

my home theatre

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page