Official Sony BDP-S1200, BDP-S3200, BDP-S4200, BDP-S5200, BDP-S6200, and BDP-S7200 - Page 42 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1231 of 2216 Old 07-18-2014, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNZi View Post
When you say log in, do you mean the link I'm told to go to on the player so it says go to https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/ I think and login.

Or, do you mean on the actual player I'm meant to login with my amazon details somewhere over there?
I logged into my Amazon account via the Amazon Prime app on the player.
marctronixx likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 2216 Old 07-18-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When you say log in, do you mean the link I'm told to go to on the player so it says go to https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/ I think and login.

Or, do you mean on the actual player I'm meant to login with my amazon details somewhere over there?
I think you do have to create a Sony entertainment account also...but that doesn't cost anything.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1233 of 2216 Old 07-18-2014, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post
I'll give it another try tonight. You said Amazon Prime, I suppose you mean Amazon Instant Video which it's down as under Video. As soon as I hit that, it brings up a page that shows me a link that looks like https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/ and provides me with a 5 character code I think it was.

But, when registering on that link, and trying to activate it told me to enter credit card details to continue.

I am probably doing something wrong, will have another look when I'm home.
post #1234 of 2216 Old 07-18-2014, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'll give it another try tonight. You said Amazon Prime, I suppose you mean Amazon Instant Video which it's down as under Video. As soon as I hit that, it brings up a page that shows me a link that looks like https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/ and provides me with a 5 character code I think it was.

But, when registering on that link, and trying to activate it told me to enter credit card details to continue.

I am probably doing something wrong, will have another look when I'm home.
You take that code and on your computer enter it on the given link...setting up a Sony account. I think allows your player to access internet content such as Amazon Instant Video.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1235 of 2216 Old 07-18-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post
Me too...
marctronixx likes this.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #1236 of 2216 Old 07-18-2014, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Hi all,

I've got the Sony BDP-S4100, and I'm trying to use Amazon Instant Video, now when I click it, it brings me to a page that says go to this site and enter this activation code, which I do, but after doing this, I'm asked to enter credit card details. Is it the same for everyone? Why do I need to enter these details when I already pay for Amazon Prime.

Please advise.
Do you keep a credit card on file with Amazon? If not, they want one so you can do 1-click purchases of non-prime content.

For whatever it's worth, I was also asked for cc details when I installed Amazon on my Roku in 2011 even though I had a cc on file. And I've never gotten this on subsequent devices.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1237 of 2216 Old 07-18-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 132
For account status of most Sony products, you can create an account at Sony Essentials:
https://internet.sony.tv/customer/te...=en&country=US
This will show if you are linked to Amazon Instant Video.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1238 of 2216 Old 07-19-2014, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Is sony going to add HBO GO App on these players anytime? Any idea?
post #1239 of 2216 Old 07-19-2014, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Yet another reason or two to get the 6200! It's made of 67% recycled plastics.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/csr/Son...BDP-S6200.html

Quote:
The use of recycled plastic in past models was restricted to certain outer panels due to the limited supply of recycled plastics that met Sony's strict quality specifications, the need for a stable supply of material, and other considerations. For the new BDP-S6200, a series of advances in recycled plastic quality and other parameters enabled the wider use, about 76%, of plastics that contain recycled content. Now recycled plastic is used not only in the outer panel but also the internal optical drive. And despite being made with recycled resin, the glossy plastic parts fit the elegant styling perfectly.

--and even in the optical drive itself!

Quote:
Besides meeting Sony quality standards, optical drive material must be readily available for mass production because it is commonly used across a number of models, so successfully introducing recycled plastic for these parts can save considerable amount of virgin resources. Over time, Sony has put tremendous effort in phasing in plastic that satisfies both quantity and quality requirements, providing a stable supply of durable material. Through Sony’s efforts, the strength and material characteristics of the recycled plastic have improved to such a high level that it can now be utilized in the optical drive of the latest BD players model.
post #1240 of 2216 Old 07-20-2014, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi all,
I am a little frustrated and hope someone can help.
I have an older Yamaha HTR 5790 receiver that has only coaxial digital and optical audio inputs. There aren't any HDMI's. I bought a Sony Blu Ray BDPS6200 and a cable box, with both plugged into the Yamaha's 2 outlets, so it all is on one circuit through the receiver and turns on at once. All 3 devices have 2 prong plugs.

The cable box connects: power to receiver, HDMI to Projector, optical to receiver
The Blu ray connects: power to receiver, HDMI to projector, coaxial to receiver. It has no other audio output except the coaxial
Receiver plugged into surge protector, to the wall outlet with 3 prong plug.

Everything is fine until I connect the coaxial cable from the blu ray to the receiver. Then I get a buzz on all inputs and steady volume. Does not change with volume. The buzz remains if the Blu Ray is unplugged from power and the coaxial cable is plugged in.

I have tried rearranging all the plugs all different ways. None of that makes a difference. Before I had the chance to do a lot of rearranging, I posted and someone suggested a ground loop and trying one of the Ebtech devices. But before ordering that for 60$, is that going to work? This buzz seems to occur when the audio is plugged in, none of the power plugs seems to have anything to do with it. So if I got that, which device would I plug into it? The Blu ray?

I wondered about trying a coaxial to optical converter cable. Would anyone think that would work, so instead of plugging into the coaxial inputs on the receiver I could go to one of the optical inputs? Not sure if that would work or not.

What would you guys try?

Thanks for reading.
post #1241 of 2216 Old 07-20-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavis81 View Post
Hi all,
I am a little frustrated and hope someone can help.
I have an older Yamaha HTR 5790 receiver that has only coaxial digital and optical audio inputs. There aren't any HDMI's. I bought a Sony Blu Ray BDPS6200 and a cable box, with both plugged into the Yamaha's 2 outlets, so it all is on one circuit through the receiver and turns on at once. All 3 devices have 2 prong plugs.

The cable box connects: power to receiver, HDMI to Projector, optical to receiver
The Blu ray connects: power to receiver, HDMI to projector, coaxial to receiver. It has no other audio output except the coaxial
Receiver plugged into surge protector, to the wall outlet with 3 prong plug.

Everything is fine until I connect the coaxial cable from the blu ray to the receiver. Then I get a buzz on all inputs and steady volume. Does not change with volume. The buzz remains if the Blu Ray is unplugged from power and the coaxial cable is plugged in.

I have tried rearranging all the plugs all different ways. None of that makes a difference. Before I had the chance to do a lot of rearranging, I posted and someone suggested a ground loop and trying one of the Ebtech devices. But before ordering that for 60$, is that going to work? This buzz seems to occur when the audio is plugged in, none of the power plugs seems to have anything to do with it. So if I got that, which device would I plug into it? The Blu ray?

I wondered about trying a coaxial to optical converter cable. Would anyone think that would work, so instead of plugging into the coaxial inputs on the receiver I could go to one of the optical inputs? Not sure if that would work or not.

What would you guys try?

Thanks for reading.
Have you removed everything from the equation except the blu-ray to make sure it is the one audio connection causing the problem?
marctronixx likes this.
post #1242 of 2216 Old 07-20-2014, 11:09 AM

Just to make sure, I did it again, unhooked cable box and projector completely.

If the Blu ray is plugged power only to either receiver or surge protector, no buzz.
Connect the digital coax, loud buzz. It even seems louder than last night when I had the cable and projector hooked up.

So I am not sure if I need the Ebtech device for the power cord, or try a coax to toslink converter and input to one of my optical slots.

I guess maybe I should order both and see? Hate to pay all this shipping.

Thanks for looking
post #1243 of 2216 Old 07-20-2014, 11:39 AM

My question about the Ebtech:

http://www.amazon.com/Ebtech-Hum-Vol...eywords=ebtech

The Sony Blu Ray and the Yamaha are 2 prong devices. So that means they aren't grounded right?

My question about a converter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It would seem converting the coaxial signal to optical would eliminate electrical hum, but that is a total guess as I don't understand it well. I just know it starts when the coax is hooked up. Not sure if this converter would work with this Blu Ray either in terms of sound output formats and still being able to get 5.1 sound. The Yamaha does not have TruHD formats so I only get 5.1 sounds even though 7 speakers are hooked up as a baseline.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1244 of 2216 Old 07-20-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Sony Blu Ray and the Yamaha are 2 prong devices. So that means they aren't grounded right?

It would seem converting the coaxial signal to optical would eliminate electrical hum, but that is a total guess as I don't understand it well. I just know it starts when the coax is hooked up. Not sure if this converter would work with this Blu Ray either in terms of sound output formats and still being able to get 5.1 sound. The Yamaha does not have TruHD formats so I only get 5.1 sounds even though 7 speakers are hooked up as a baseline.
Is a new AVR an option?
marctronixx likes this.
post #1245 of 2216 Old 07-20-2014, 12:29 PM

I am afraid that may be where this is going! :>
post #1246 of 2216 Old 07-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

The grounding of the Sony should not be a factor with a digital output and it is generally unusual to have hum from a digital input. Some things to check:

- Ensure that your Yamaha is indeed giving you the input of the coaxial as opposed to some other input (not familiar with your AVR but if the audio inputs are paired with video inputs there may be configuration for each input selection that is a factor)

- Try replacing the connection cable and make sure the cables you are using are spec'd for digital use (75 ohm)

- Test the input with another device if possible (example : cable box)
marctronixx likes this.
post #1247 of 2216 Old 07-21-2014, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

What would you guys try?

Thanks for reading.
I'm not trying to sound flippant, but the fact that you're even entertaining this idea tells me that it's really time to buy a new AVR.

Considering how HDMI is increasingly becoming the only output that many devices support, you're just going to keep running into these issues.

If you're not ready to make the investment in a new AVR, how about a used one? You could buy a 2009 or 2010 model; about the only thing it won't do that current models can is 3D passthrough, Bluetooth, WiFi and Airplay. And the file formats it can support will be somewhat limited, but the 6200 can help you out there.

When you consider what you're spending on the additional cords, switchers and converts to keep using your current AVR, a used one may not be that much more.
post #1248 of 2216 Old 07-21-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked: 846
Or check out a refurb. I know someone on one of the threads mentioned getting a Denon X2000 for around $300 recently that was a refurb. I got a Denon 4520 refurb last week. They do come with a one year warranty and the cost is much less than a brand new one.
Or call the AVS store for some really great prices on a new receiver.
marctronixx likes this.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1249 of 2216 Old 07-21-2014, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Mr. Davis:

Since the hum is apparently related to the coaxial digital connection (whereas the optical connection from your cable box is hum-free), would it not be logical to purchase and try a Blu-ray player that has an optical audio output? (An optical connection will break a ground loop, which is likely what you're experiencing.) For example, Panasonic's current players have optical outputs. Just be certain you can obtain a refund if a new player does not eliminate the hum. If the hum goes away then return the Sony player, assuming you can still do so.

I had a similar problem about 11 years ago caused by a DirecTV satellite box and it was easily resolved by switching from the coaxial to an optical connection.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1250 of 2216 Old 07-22-2014, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quick question for current BDP-S3200 users. It's about the Audio DRC function in the unit's audio settings. I'm considering upgrading to the BDP-S3200 from my current unit, but wanted to know if the Audio DRC functionality in the 3200 will work on both DTS tracks AND Dolby Digital tracks on blu.

The online manual at Sony's site just says that it compresses tracks on Blu Ray discs (no particular format is specified).

To give some background...

I've currently got a Sony BDP-S300 (real old school) hooked up to a Harmon Kardon AVR-146 receiver (using the digital coax out).

I love my setup (great sound + picture), but have only 1 issue. The DTS tracks on my blu-rays are just too loud to play in my modest apartment.

Now, my HK receiver does have the "night mode" function but it only works with Dolby Digital tracks. I used night mode regularly on Dolby Digital tracks on both DVD and Blu Ray and it works great.

My intention was to upgrade my player to the BDP-S3200 and use the Audio DRC to compress DTS tracks to a more normal listening level for late night viewing.

Also, I see that the BDP-S3200 can re-encode DTS tracks to Dolby Digital tracks. Has anyone ever done this and then used the "Night Mode" compression on it? I was thinking that it wouldn't work as the re-encoded DTS would lack the dialNorm flag?

I know the easiest path is simply to get a new receiver with Dolby Volume or Audyssey Dynamic Volume, but my Harmon Kardon is an excellent receiver (never gave me any issues) and the price point of the 3200 is easier on my wallet.

Be Blu...Play Blu.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1251 of 2216 Old 07-22-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I'm pretty sure in order to support Audio DRC, the player needs to decode the audio into PCM. If so, this is pretty much a dead end because you pretty much have to live with PCM 2.0 only, not 5.1 or 7.1.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1252 of 2216 Old 07-22-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalCoby View Post
Also, I see that the BDP-S3200 can re-encode DTS tracks to Dolby Digital tracks.

Source? I'm pretty sure it CAN'T do that. Sony won't bother pay for Dolby Digital multi-channel decoding license (which is much cheaper than encoding license), let alone paying for encoding license.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1253 of 2216 Old 07-22-2014, 04:10 PM

Liked: 2
Thanks for the feedback.

I figured I should just go ahead and buy a receiver with Dolby Volume/Audyssey Dynamic Volume.

I should point out that the manual for the BDP-S3200 does state that it can re-encode DTS to Dolby Digital.

As per the manual, under audio settings:
x [Dolby D Compatible Output]
[On]: Converts DTS audio source to
Dolby Digital audio by using EDID
(Extended Display Identification Data).
[Off]: Turns off the function.
Guess this is just a fallback to give old Dolby Digital lossy through the coax out.

Thanks Again.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1254 of 2216 Old 07-22-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Levi View Post
I'm not trying to sound flippant, but the fact that you're even entertaining this idea tells me that it's really time to buy a new AVR.

Considering how HDMI is increasingly becoming the only output that many devices support, you're just going to keep running into these issues.

If you're not ready to make the investment in a new AVR, how about a used one? You could buy a 2009 or 2010 model; about the only thing it won't do that current models can is 3D passthrough, Bluetooth, WiFi and Airplay. And the file formats it can support will be somewhat limited, but the 6200 can help you out there.

When you consider what you're spending on the additional cords, switchers and converts to keep using your current AVR, a used one may not be that much more.

Yes fair enough! This movie room is in a newer house for me. The list of projects and purchases is LONG! I was hoping to make the stuff I have work, it is nice equipment and I am not an audiophile. The saga started with an HTPC that was about 6 years old that crashed over and over despite multiple Windows reinstalls. That was frustrating and eventually the HTPC was a brick. I decided to go with the Blu Ray as I really only watch movies and Netflix. So like all of you there are many things to buy and a new AVR is indeed the logical solution! I was hoping there was some tech trick that was simple but it appears that is not the case. This has just been a string of little issues and time consuming. I suppose that is expected with old stuff.

I ordered a new digital optical cable. If that doesn't work, will start looking for a refurb AVR. Now I have to research that! I have a Denon upstairs. I really just need one with HDMI pass through to run to the projector, and don't need networking. So that shouldn't cost too much.

Thanks all for thinking it through with me, I appreciate the value of the boards.

Scott
marctronixx likes this.
post #1255 of 2216 Old 07-23-2014, 08:54 AM

Liked: 1
Question Sony BDP-S3200

Hi
I have the Sony BDP-S3200 Blu Ray player. I would like to add surround sound.

Can anyone recommend a surround system that will work with this player?

I'm hoping to keep it under $200.

Thanks
marctronixx likes this.
post #1256 of 2216 Old 07-23-2014, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog67 View Post
Hi
I have the Sony BDP-S3200 Blu Ray player. I would like to add surround sound.

Can anyone recommend a surround system that will work with this player?

I'm hoping to keep it under $200.

Thanks
If you're looking for a home theater in a box system, you should ask here:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/109-home-theater-box/

S~
marctronixx likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #1257 of 2216 Old 07-23-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I ordered a new digital optical cable.
As discussed earlier, your Sony 6200 does not have a digital optical audio output.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1258 of 2216 Old 07-23-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post
As discussed earlier, your Sony 6200 does not have a digital optical audio output.
Sorry I misspoke.

Yes I know there is no optical output, that is basically the whole problem.

A new digital coaxial cable. Just to make sure my older ones aren't the issue (they are at least 5 years old). Hopefully that solves it. If not, I will stop wrangling it and find a new receiver.
post #1259 of 2216 Old 07-23-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 443
As a quick test, an RCA cable will work in place of coax. That would at least rule out the cable.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1260 of 2216 Old 07-23-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
As a quick test, an RCA cable will work in place of coax. That would at least rule out the cable.
You beat me to it, Dave!
marctronixx likes this.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page