Official Sony BDP-S1200, BDP-S3200, BDP-S4200, BDP-S5200, BDP-S6200, and BDP-S7200 - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1261 of 1771 Old 07-23-2014, 09:01 PM
Member
 
HD KOOL-AID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Question on the quick start feature on the 6200. Does the player keep the blu-ray spinning slightly when powered down/off?
HD KOOL-AID is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1262 of 1771 Old 07-23-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,665
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD KOOL-AID View Post
Question on the quick start feature on the 6200. Does the player keep the blu-ray spinning slightly when powered down/off?
Neither of my S6200s do.
marctronixx likes this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is offline  
post #1263 of 1771 Old 07-23-2014, 10:01 PM
Member
 
HD KOOL-AID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just wondering since I leave blu-rays in the drive and it was making a faint ticking/knocking noise like it was spinning slowly. When I powered up my 6200 this morning with the bluray in it started buzzing all loud until I ejected it. But played movie normally when I put the drive in again. I turned off the quick start function on mine hope my drive dont go out on me. Thanks.
HD KOOL-AID is offline  
post #1264 of 1771 Old 07-23-2014, 10:46 PM
Senior Member
 
marctronixx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
it may spin up once powered on with disc inserted, but will stop down after several seconds.

if you are concerned, remove any discs and shut off quick start.
marctronixx is offline  
post #1265 of 1771 Old 07-24-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,914
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Had my 6200 now for a few weeks and zero issues. Plays everything I throw at it and streams flawlessly. This player is going down as one of the best Blu ray players I have yet to own.
marctronixx likes this.
steve1971 is offline  
post #1266 of 1771 Old 07-24-2014, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,906
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 323
I agree. 1200 and 6200 are great so far, granted Ive only used the 1200 as a streamer at night, but it does a great job.
marctronixx likes this.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #1267 of 1771 Old 07-24-2014, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
hmunster2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 23
5200 v 6200

Looking for a new 3D blu ray player-other than 4K upconversion, is there any significant differences between the 5200 and 6200. I send the audio to my AVR for decoding, so that is not an issue- but what about the picture quality (I assume that they should be the same??)? Was almost thinking of going with Oppo, but then reason set in-it is digital, so picture quality can't really be any better (without Darbee version), right?
Thanks
hmunster2 is offline  
post #1268 of 1771 Old 07-24-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,665
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post
Looking for a new 3D blu ray player-other than 4K upconversion, is there any significant differences between the 5200 and 6200. I send the audio to my AVR for decoding, so that is not an issue- but what about the picture quality (I assume that they should be the same??)? Was almost thinking of going with Oppo, but then reason set in-it is digital, so picture quality can't really be any better (without Darbee version), right?
Thanks
The 6200 has a dual core CPU, a front display, and two USB ports.(I use the back USB port for a flash drive for BD Live)

The 5200 has a single core CPU, no display, and only one USB port.

There might be other differences but those are the three reasons I went with the S6200 when I upgraded my S5100s. The S6200 seemed like the real sucessor to the S5100.
marctronixx and skads_187 like this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is offline  
post #1269 of 1771 Old 07-24-2014, 01:37 PM
Member
 
Alex F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post
Was almost thinking of going with Oppo, but then reason set in-it is digital, so picture quality can't really be any better (without Darbee version), right?
In my experience, not right. We have different Blu-ray players in use in several rooms. For consistency, each new purchase was tested on the same Panasonic plasma television. Our Sony 5100, Panasonic 320, and Panasonic 220, for example, deliver a better overall picture than the Oppo BDP-83. The Sony and Panasonics provide better sharpness on Blu-ray discs and better upscaling on regular DVDs. A Sony 590 (two years old) has a grainy structure that the Sony 5100 does not have. Our Sony 390's picture looks identical to our 590. The Panasonic 320 and 220 share the same video performance among themselves as well. The color rendition is a bit warmer on all the Sonys compared with the Panasonics.

So, no, not all players have the same picture quality simply because they are digital. Within a given brand of the same model year, though, I've found models close in price tend to have the same picture quality since they usually share the same basic video circuitry. Other features are what typically cause price differences.
marctronixx likes this.
Alex F. is offline  
post #1270 of 1771 Old 07-24-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Nickff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brownsburg, IN
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 127
^^^What was the comparison like with all post-processing turned off on all the players?
marctronixx likes this.
Nickff is offline  
post #1271 of 1771 Old 07-24-2014, 04:42 PM
Member
 
Alex F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post
^^^What was the comparison like with all post-processing turned off on all the players?
All post-processing was turned off. It is, of course, the only way to properly compare the baseline performance of players.
marctronixx likes this.
Alex F. is offline  
post #1272 of 1771 Old 07-25-2014, 02:41 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question BDP-S1200 setting questions

Hi,
I have a Sony BDP-S1200 blu-ray player and was wondering what "BD-ROM 24p Output" and "DVD-ROM 24p Output" setting under the "Screen Settings" menu is and what the best setting is (AUTO, ON, OFF)

Thanks
marctronixx likes this.
Artoo Smith is offline  
post #1273 of 1771 Old 07-25-2014, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nickff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brownsburg, IN
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artoo Smith View Post
Hi,
I have a Sony BDP-S1200 blu-ray player and was wondering what "BD-ROM 24p Output" and "DVD-ROM 24p Output" setting under the "Screen Settings" menu is and what the best setting is (AUTO, ON, OFF)

Thanks
If your display accepts 24fps material, then choose AUTO.
marctronixx likes this.
Nickff is offline  
post #1274 of 1771 Old 07-25-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,906
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 323
BD Rom 24p On
DVD Rom 4p Off

For me DVD 24p can be an issue at times so I just stopped using it.
marctronixx likes this.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #1275 of 1771 Old 07-25-2014, 07:40 AM
Senior Member
 
AC2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I have a BDP-S5100 in my main setup. My TV is not 4K, and I don't expect to upgrade that set for at least 3-5 years. If I don't have the ability to see 4K, is there any reason(s) for an upgrade to the 6200? (Other than the 2sec faster loading speed)

Or to the 7200 (although I can't see that it is actually available in Canada).

I presume, when running everything through an AVR, that the PQ of the 6200 is not likely to be substantially different from the Oppo 103?

Boston Acoustics Classic series L/C/R + front presence; Fluance XLBP Bipole surrounds; PSA XS15se
Yamaha RX-A3040; Emotiva XPA-3
Oppo BDP-103D
AC2011 is offline  
post #1276 of 1771 Old 07-25-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,665
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 View Post
I have a BDP-S5100 in my main setup. My TV is not 4K, and I don't expect to upgrade that set for at least 3-5 years. If I don't have the ability to see 4K, is there any reason(s) for an upgrade to the 6200? (Other than the 2sec faster loading speed)

Or to the 7200 (although I can't see that it is actually available in Canada).

I presume, when running everything through an AVR, that the PQ of the 6200 is not likely to be substantially different from the Oppo 103?
The S6200 also has updated Netflix and Amazon apps. So if you use those apps that is another reason to upgrade.
marctronixx likes this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is offline  
post #1277 of 1771 Old 07-25-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nickff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brownsburg, IN
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 View Post
I have a BDP-S5100 in my main setup. My TV is not 4K, and I don't expect to upgrade that set for at least 3-5 years. If I don't have the ability to see 4K, is there any reason(s) for an upgrade to the 6200? (Other than the 2sec faster loading speed)

Or to the 7200 (although I can't see that it is actually available in Canada).

I presume, when running everything through an AVR, that the PQ of the 6200 is not likely to be substantially different from the Oppo 103?
Post 1269 might help with part of your question. :-)
marctronixx likes this.
Nickff is offline  
post #1278 of 1771 Old 07-25-2014, 08:07 AM
Senior Member
 
AC2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The S6200 also has updated Netflix and Amazon apps. So if you use those apps that is another reason to upgrade.
I do use Netflix, never used Amazon - note, I am in Canada, but I use a service which gives me a US IP address, so even though I buy the Cdn model, I believe I end up getting the US Apps.

How, exactly, is the Netflix app upgraded? (One thing I hate about my current 5100 is that almost every time I click on the Netflix app icon on screen or use the Netflix button on the remote, I get this screen saying "updating network content". Sometimes it takes FOREVER to update.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post
Post 1269 might help with part of your question. :-)
Thanks, saw that. My 5100 has a front display, and I don't use USB ports or BD Live.
marctronixx likes this.

Boston Acoustics Classic series L/C/R + front presence; Fluance XLBP Bipole surrounds; PSA XS15se
Yamaha RX-A3040; Emotiva XPA-3
Oppo BDP-103D
AC2011 is offline  
post #1279 of 1771 Old 07-25-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,665
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 View Post
I do use Netflix, never used Amazon - note, I am in Canada, but I use a service which gives me a US IP address, so even though I buy the Cdn model, I believe I end up getting the US Apps.

How, exactly, is the Netflix app upgraded? (One thing I hate about my current 5100 is that almost every time I click on the Netflix app icon on screen or use the Netflix button on the remote, I get this screen saying "updating network content". Sometimes it takes FOREVER to update.)
..............
The S6200 still does that crap where it shows updating content. The Netflix client on the S620 is the most current one. It shows background art and there are many other things that make it look better than the previous version. Not sure if there are any performance improvements though
marctronixx likes this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme


Last edited by aaronwt; 07-25-2014 at 10:25 AM.
aaronwt is offline  
post #1280 of 1771 Old 07-27-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RWetmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brick, New Jersey
Posts: 3,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 58
The S7200 doesn't even have dual HDMI?
marctronixx likes this.
RWetmore is online now  
post #1281 of 1771 Old 07-27-2014, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nickff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brownsburg, IN
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
The S7200 doesn't even have dual HDMI?
As of now, the only known difference between the 6200 and 7200 is the case. Some are holding out hope the internals are "better".
Nickff is offline  
post #1282 of 1771 Old 07-27-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RWetmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brick, New Jersey
Posts: 3,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post
As of now, the only known difference between the 6200 and 7200 is the case. Some are holding out hope the internals are "better".

Boy, what a disappointment. I can't believe it doesn't offer dual HDMI. The only good thing I guess is it makes the S6200 that much more of a good value, as it's about $250 less!
marctronixx likes this.
RWetmore is online now  
post #1283 of 1771 Old 07-27-2014, 09:40 AM
Member
 
EManT2200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fruitland, Md.
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bdp-s7200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post
As of now, the only known difference between the 6200 and 7200 is the case. Some are holding out hope the internals are "better".



Hoping to find a review about this BDP-S7200 soon. I have the BDP-S790, before I purchased this one, I had read a couple of professional reviews that said it came very close to Oppo's picture and audio quality. I have to admit, the S790 does produce a beautiful picture. Anyway, hoping that there may be improvements here to bring the S7200 even closer to the Oppo's quality, but, of course about $100.00 cheaper than the Oppo.
EManT2200 is offline  
post #1284 of 1771 Old 07-27-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,914
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by EManT2200 View Post
Hoping to find a review about this BDP-S7200 soon. I have the BDP-S790, before I purchased this one, I had read a couple of professional reviews that said it came very close to Oppo's picture and audio quality. I have to admit, the S790 does produce a beautiful picture. Anyway, hoping that there may be improvements here to bring the S7200 even closer to the Oppo's quality, but, of course about $100.00 cheaper than the Oppo.

Sorry but the 6200 and the 7200 are the exact same except for the out side appearance. As far as matching Oppo's pic and audio quality they come very very close.
marctronixx likes this.
steve1971 is offline  
post #1285 of 1771 Old 07-27-2014, 03:31 PM
Senior Member
 
marctronixx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
no. i have the unit in my home as we speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
The S7200 doesn't even have dual HDMI?
marctronixx is offline  
post #1286 of 1771 Old 07-27-2014, 03:33 PM
Senior Member
 
marctronixx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
agree 100%. you are just paying for aesthetics, nothing more...


Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Sorry but the 6200 and the 7200 are the exact same except for the out side appearance. As far as matching Oppo's pic and audio quality they come very very close.
steve1971 likes this.
marctronixx is offline  
post #1287 of 1771 Old 07-27-2014, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
tboe77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post
agree 100%. you are just paying for aesthetics, nothing more...
Agreed. Which is why anyone seriously considering the 7200 might as well just spend the extra $100 and get an Oppo. That way, you're at least getting something more than looks for the premium you're paying over the cost of the 6200.
marctronixx and steve1971 like this.
tboe77 is offline  
post #1288 of 1771 Old 07-27-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,665
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Sorry but the 6200 and the 7200 are the exact same except for the out side appearance. As far as matching Oppo's pic and audio quality they come very very close.
Not sure about audio quality since the Sony players don't decode all formats to multi-channel pCM. But if bitstreaming the audio should be identical.

I still think a stand alone Darblet with the SOny makes more sense than the Oppo. I know in my setup the Oppo would make no sense. I already have a video processor that all my devices go through. The Darblet is at the very end of the video chain, right before the TV.
marctronixx likes this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is offline  
post #1289 of 1771 Old 07-28-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,914
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Not sure about audio quality since the Sony players don't decode all formats to multi-channel pCM. But if bitstreaming the audio should be identical.

I still think a stand alone Darblet with the SOny makes more sense than the Oppo. I know in my setup the Oppo would make no sense. I already have a video processor that all my devices go through. The Darblet is at the very end of the video chain, right before the TV.

I have to give one of these Darblet's a try. I hear so many good things about them so why not?
steve1971 is offline  
post #1290 of 1771 Old 07-28-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,906
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 323
I tried it. It defintely has an effect, one that I decided I did not like.

The good, it can enhance the sharpness of blu-ray (if you feel you need it), owners will tell you the better the source the better it works.

The bad, on some like Dish/Directv with some compression artifacts, the Darblet can make things look worse. I would see added artifacts in compression noise with it on, so I felt no need to keep it for that $$$ just for blu-ray.

I later had the 103D, and came to the same conclusion, so i left it off.
marctronixx likes this.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
gadgtfreek is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off