Official Sony BDP-S1200, BDP-S3200, BDP-S4200, BDP-S5200, BDP-S6200, and BDP-S7200 - Page 51 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1501 of 1804 Old 08-20-2014, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I own the 6200 and I picked up a copy of Amazing Spider Man 2. On the box it states DTS HD MA but there is no option in the menu. I can only output Dolby Digital 5.1 on the 2D disk. What gives - am I missing something? Did anyone here pick up the BluRay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1804 Old 08-21-2014, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
I own the 6200 and I picked up a copy of Amazing Spider Man 2. On the box it states DTS HD MA but there is no option in the menu. I can only output Dolby Digital 5.1 on the 2D disk. What gives - am I missing something? Did anyone here pick up the BluRay?
Is BD Audio Mix off? Can your AVR decode DTS-HD MA?
marctronixx likes this.
post #1503 of 1804 Old 08-21-2014, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
I do not have a copy to check. You mentioned "2D disk". Did you buy the 3D combo pack? Is it possible that only the 3D disc contains the DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack?
post #1504 of 1804 Old 08-21-2014, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hi guys,

I got the 7200 from amazon to upgrade from a 3200 which played USB files perfectly. Now, despite the great looks and the zippy performance of the 7200, it's got a strange issue. Despite setting the screen aspect to Normal (not Full), videos will 'sometimes' become stretched to fill the 16:9 display. I say sometimes because when I first switch on the player videos play in their correct aspect ratio. But after a while, and for some strange reason, I go to play files and they stretch out. This applies to both 4:3 and other wider aspects. Files are on a USB drive. Does not occur with YouTube vids. The only fix I've found is to restart the player. This fixes the issue temporarily. I checked my Toshiba HDTV to make sure aspect ratio is also set to native. Never had such problems with the 3200.

So do you guys know what's happening here? Is this a defective player? The only difference in the setup is that I'm using a different HDMI port. I'll try the same port I used for the 3200 and see what happens today.
post #1505 of 1804 Old 08-21-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
I had the rental earlier this week. I remember it playing back in 5.1 DTS-HD MA. DO you have the audio restorer turned on? That would decode everything and re-encode it to DD.
marctronixx likes this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1506 of 1804 Old 08-21-2014, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

I do have BD Audio Mix set to off. I'll try it with it on. Also what should "downmix" set to, surround or stereo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
marctronixx likes this.
post #1507 of 1804 Old 08-21-2014, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
I do have BD Audio Mix set to off. I'll try it with it on. Also what should "downmix" set to, surround or stereo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You want BD Audio Mix to be "off". This prevents the player from mixing the UI sound effects with the movie audio. If you mix them then the player will downmix the audio.
Make sure the player is set to bitstream the audio, not decode it, though this would normally lead to stereo audio not Dolby 5.1 as opposed to DTS-HD MA.

Also, in your AVR's settings, make sure that the HDMI audio output is set to "Amp" and not "TV+Amp". If it is set to "TV+Amp" then your TV's audio capabilities come into play. Most likely the TV can't decode DTS-HD MA, so it would force the source device to output something that it can handle. If you use the "Amp" setting then the TV's audio capabilities have no impact on what is played.

If you've checked all of the above and still haven't resolved the issue, try swapping out the HDMI cable connecting your player to your AVR. It is unlikely that this is the cause, but it is possible that the HDMI cable is either incapable of carrying HD audio or is incorrectly relaying the EDID of your receiver to the player.
post #1508 of 1804 Old 08-21-2014, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

My 6200 is connected to the Sony 1040 receiver so my entire pipeline is new-ish Sony products. Its weird that I can't get DTS MA. Anyway thanks for all of the advice.
I'll double check the Amp setting on my AVR.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1509 of 1804 Old 08-21-2014, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post
http://www.mrmdvd.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=1642

http://www.mrmdvd.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=1604

http://www.tps.uk.com/?tab_name=SONY...&choice_id=209

Don't forget North American mains are different from UK or Aussie mains (120 VAC/60 hz. v 230 VAC/50 hz.). These players are UK spec and won't need mains voltage converter. Only thing you will need is a mains plug adaptor to connect to mains.

Also before ordering, enquire to be sure that any future OEM firmware upgrades won't disable the multi-region features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo8 View Post
Thanks for the info mate. I didn't realize that the sony blu ray is only 120vac I thought it is multivoltage. My sony projector is multivoltage.

Hmmm... it is slightly expensive in UK.

You get what you pay for.

BD multi-region modifications can be either of two types:
  • Firmware hacks
  • Permanent hardware modifications

With the former, you can't upgrade the player firmware without disabling the multi-region modification. With the latter, the multi-region feature will never be disabled after normal firmware update.

Multiregion Magic use an ICOS multi-region modification of the latter category. Quite stable, but obviously more expensive as the modification is quite involved.

You should peruse this thread:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=245235
Jamo8 likes this.

Last edited by Iain-; 08-21-2014 at 12:26 PM.
post #1510 of 1804 Old 08-21-2014, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
You get what you pay for.

BD multi-region modifications can be either of two types:
  • Firmware hacks
  • Permanent hardware modifications

With the former, you can't upgrade the player firmware without disabling the multi-region modification. With the latter, the multi-region feature will never be disabled after normal firmware update.

Multiregion Magic use an ICOS multi-region modification of the latter category. Quite stable, but obviously more expensive as the modification is quite involved.

You should peruse this thread:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=245235

Thanks again bud, you have been very helpful. Out of interest , what bluray player do you own ?
post #1511 of 1804 Old 08-21-2014, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haisook View Post
Hi guys,

I got the 7200 from amazon to upgrade from a 3200 which played USB files perfectly. Now, despite the great looks and the zippy performance of the 7200, it's got a strange issue. Despite setting the screen aspect to Normal (not Full), videos will 'sometimes' become stretched to fill the 16:9 display. I say sometimes because when I first switch on the player videos play in their correct aspect ratio. But after a while, and for some strange reason, I go to play files and they stretch out. This applies to both 4:3 and other wider aspects. Files are on a USB drive. Does not occur with YouTube vids. The only fix I've found is to restart the player. This fixes the issue temporarily. I checked my Toshiba HDTV to make sure aspect ratio is also set to native. Never had such problems with the 3200.

So do you guys know what's happening here? Is this a defective player? The only difference in the setup is that I'm using a different HDMI port. I'll try the same port I used for the 3200 and see what happens today.
Hmm. I recall a issue with the original firmware on the bdp-s390/590 that exhibited this behavior. Is it the same file that suddenly becomes stretched after a period of time?

Have you tried playing from a DLNA Server instead.

If you can replicate the issue in a consistent way, you may want to let sony know on the sony forums, they fixed this once before so I am imagine they can do it again.
marctronixx and Haisook like this.
post #1512 of 1804 Old 08-22-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Hmm. I recall a issue with the original firmware on the bdp-s390/590 that exhibited this behavior. Is it the same file that suddenly becomes stretched after a period of time?

Have you tried playing from a DLNA Server instead.

If you can replicate the issue in a consistent way, you may want to let sony know on the sony forums, they fixed this once before so I am imagine they can do it again.
Yep, the same files that were playing normally before will stretch out. And this applies to many types of files; mkv, mp4, avi. I no longer use DLNA to play videos as I found out that direct play from USB gives more consistent playback and no transcoding is needed (especially with subtitles on).

I tried to use a different HDMI port thinking it could be related to a defective port? , I also disabled both 3D and 4K output from the player settings. Didn't notice any stretching yesterday, but I didn't use the player long enough.

I think I will go ahead and report that because I'm quite sure it's a software bug. It's strange, though, that not many people have this issue.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1513 of 1804 Old 08-22-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Yep, the same files that were playing normally before will stretch out. And this applies to many types of files; mkv, mp4, avi. I no longer use DLNA to play videos as I found out that direct play from USB gives more consistent playback and no transcoding is needed (especially with subtitles on).

I tried to use a different HDMI port thinking it could be related to a defective port? , I also disabled both 3D and 4K output from the player settings. Didn't notice any stretching yesterday, but I didn't use the player long enough.

I think I will go ahead and report that because I'm quite sure it's a software bug. It's strange, though, that not many people have this issue.
Well, I had the same issue again today (using a different HDMI port, 3D/4K off). I will go ahead and report this now. I just wonder if Sony will release a software update just for my sake!
post #1514 of 1804 Old 08-22-2014, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
uhhh.. no they wont.
JoeKustra likes this.
post #1515 of 1804 Old 08-22-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post
uhhh.. no they wont.
In this case, I will have to return this player and keep the 3200... my main use is playing video off USB and the 3200 did that too well, so I thought the 7200 would be a perfect player with the extra speed and all.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1516 of 1804 Old 08-22-2014, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
welp, one must do what one must do...
post #1517 of 1804 Old 08-22-2014, 05:23 PM

Has anyone noticed this issue with the 6200?
marctronixx likes this.
post #1518 of 1804 Old 08-22-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
In this case, I will have to return this player and keep the 3200... my main use is playing video off USB and the 3200 did that too well, so I thought the 7200 would be a perfect player with the extra speed and all.
Another option is to buy an actual device designed for playing many types of media (KDlinks, WD TV, etc.) and just buy a lower-end blu-ray player for shiny discs. A WD TV Live and a Sony S1200 might be cheaper than a 7200.
marctronixx likes this.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

post #1519 of 1804 Old 08-22-2014, 05:33 PM

I wanted one player to play them all! (in case I need to play a bluray or dvd as well..)
post #1520 of 1804 Old 08-22-2014, 05:37 PM

I am currently chatting with a Sony representative online via their Chat support. I will let you know what's going on.
post #1521 of 1804 Old 08-22-2014, 06:09 PM

OK, the guy told me to reset the player to factory default. I did that. I will see what happens. What's strange to me is that now whether the Screen Aspect setting is set to "Normal" or "Full", files play in their correct aspect ratio; they don't stretch. I asked him if he had an explanation for that, he said this setting might not affect files on USB. Anyway, let's hope things remain the way they are and videos do not begin stretching out!
marctronixx likes this.
post #1522 of 1804 Old 08-23-2014, 03:43 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Has anyone noticed this issue with the 6200?
Nope, all fine for me
marctronixx and steve1971 like this.
post #1523 of 1804 Old 08-23-2014, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo8 View Post
Thanks again bud, you have been very helpful. Out of interest , what bluray player do you own ?
Current players are BDP-S770 and BDP-S790.

The BDP-S7200 will join them soon, as well.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1524 of 1804 Old 08-23-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
OK, the guy told me to reset the player to factory default. I did that. I will see what happens. What's strange to me is that now whether the Screen Aspect setting is set to "Normal" or "Full", files play in their correct aspect ratio; they don't stretch. I asked him if he had an explanation for that, he said this setting might not affect files on USB. Anyway, let's hope things remain the way they are and videos do not begin stretching out!
Videos stretched out again! It looks like on the 7200, the screen aspect setting (Full or Normal) does not really affect USB videos. It has a mind of its own when playing such files and will tend to stretch out the videos after some time. In my case, it often happens after watching Netflix or YouTube for a while. I've left a message on the Sony Community (which appears to be deserted by the way), sent them an email, and I am currently chatting with one of their representatives via their online chat system.

In the meantime, does anybody have a clue about this issue while the mighty Sony figure out what's wrong with their top of the line bluray player?
post #1525 of 1804 Old 08-23-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 264
I haven't had any issues with my 6200. Plays everything I throw at it flawlessly and streams very well. Come October though I will be replacing it with an Oppo thanks to my wife!
marctronixx likes this.
post #1526 of 1804 Old 08-23-2014, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Videos stretched out again! It looks like on the 7200, the screen aspect setting (Full or Normal) does not really affect USB videos. It has a mind of its own when playing such files and will tend to stretch out the videos after some time. In my case, it often happens after watching Netflix or YouTube for a while. I've left a message on the Sony Community (which appears to be deserted by the way), sent them an email, and I am currently chatting with one of their representatives via their online chat system.

In the meantime, does anybody have a clue about this issue while the mighty Sony figure out what's wrong with their top of the line bluray player?
I'm not an early adopter.

It's precisely for reasons such as the above that I prefer to wait until new models have been out for at least 6-9 months and major problems have been sorted before I purchase one.

BTW, I would never buy a BDP from the company that steve1971 describes above.
post #1527 of 1804 Old 08-23-2014, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
I haven't had any issues with my 6200. Plays everything I throw at it flawlessly and streams very well. Come October though I will be replacing it with an Oopps thanks to my wife!
Why?

Do you simply want to be a part of the cult?
post #1528 of 1804 Old 08-23-2014, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Current players are BDP-S770 and BDP-S790.

The BDP-S7200 will join them soon, as well.
I still have my S770 even though i moved on with the S790 and now the S7200. There's something about the S770 that love so much! It's been my favorite Sony player so far.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1529 of 1804 Old 08-23-2014, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
About to pull the trigger on the 6200. Amazon has it on sale for $141 with free shipping.

Anyone seen it any cheaper anywhere new?
marctronixx likes this.
post #1530 of 1804 Old 08-23-2014, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Audio Question

I know the S6200 and S7200 will only decode 2CH for True HD. But how about Dolby Digital? Does these players fully decodes Dolby Digital or do they decode only 2CH as well? I have a an old Sony soundbar that that does not decode any of the HD Codecs so I have to relay on the player to internally decode these as LCPM. My S7200 fully decodes HD Master Audio as LCPM and sounds really nice but for True HD, I'm only getting DD. Does this means it's decoding DD as 2 CH only or Multi?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page