Official Sony BDP-S1200, BDP-S3200, BDP-S4200, BDP-S5200, BDP-S6200, and BDP-S7200 - Page 51 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1501 of 1511 Old Yesterday, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I own the 6200 and I picked up a copy of Amazing Spider Man 2. On the box it states DTS HD MA but there is no option in the menu. I can only output Dolby Digital 5.1 on the 2D disk. What gives - am I missing something? Did anyone here pick up the BluRay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1511 Old Today, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
I own the 6200 and I picked up a copy of Amazing Spider Man 2. On the box it states DTS HD MA but there is no option in the menu. I can only output Dolby Digital 5.1 on the 2D disk. What gives - am I missing something? Did anyone here pick up the BluRay?
Is BD Audio Mix off? Can your AVR decode DTS-HD MA?
marctronixx likes this.
post #1503 of 1511 Old Today, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
I do not have a copy to check. You mentioned "2D disk". Did you buy the 3D combo pack? Is it possible that only the 3D disc contains the DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack?
post #1504 of 1511 Old Today, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys,

I got the 7200 from amazon to upgrade from a 3200 which played USB files perfectly. Now, despite the great looks and the zippy performance of the 7200, it's got a strange issue. Despite setting the screen aspect to Normal (not Full), videos will 'sometimes' become stretched to fill the 16:9 display. I say sometimes because when I first switch on the player videos play in their correct aspect ratio. But after a while, and for some strange reason, I go to play files and they stretch out. This applies to both 4:3 and other wider aspects. Files are on a USB drive. Does not occur with YouTube vids. The only fix I've found is to restart the player. This fixes the issue temporarily. I checked my Toshiba HDTV to make sure aspect ratio is also set to native. Never had such problems with the 3200.

So do you guys know what's happening here? Is this a defective player? The only difference in the setup is that I'm using a different HDMI port. I'll try the same port I used for the 3200 and see what happens today.
post #1505 of 1511 Old Today, 06:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
I had the rental earlier this week. I remember it playing back in 5.1 DTS-HD MA. DO you have the audio restorer turned on? That would decode everything and re-encode it to DD.
marctronixx likes this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1506 of 1511 Old Today, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

I do have BD Audio Mix set to off. I'll try it with it on. Also what should "downmix" set to, surround or stereo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
marctronixx likes this.
post #1507 of 1511 Old Today, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
I do have BD Audio Mix set to off. I'll try it with it on. Also what should "downmix" set to, surround or stereo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You want BD Audio Mix to be "off". This prevents the player from mixing the UI sound effects with the movie audio. If you mix them then the player will downmix the audio.
Make sure the player is set to bitstream the audio, not decode it, though this would normally lead to stereo audio not Dolby 5.1 as opposed to DTS-HD MA.

Also, in your AVR's settings, make sure that the HDMI audio output is set to "Amp" and not "TV+Amp". If it is set to "TV+Amp" then your TV's audio capabilities come into play. Most likely the TV can't decode DTS-HD MA, so it would force the source device to output something that it can handle. If you use the "Amp" setting then the TV's audio capabilities have no impact on what is played.

If you've checked all of the above and still haven't resolved the issue, try swapping out the HDMI cable connecting your player to your AVR. It is unlikely that this is the cause, but it is possible that the HDMI cable is either incapable of carrying HD audio or is incorrectly relaying the EDID of your receiver to the player.
post #1508 of 1511 Old Today, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

My 6200 is connected to the Sony 1040 receiver so my entire pipeline is new-ish Sony products. Its weird that I can't get DTS MA. Anyway thanks for all of the advice.
I'll double check the Amp setting on my AVR.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1509 of 1511 Old Today, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post
http://www.mrmdvd.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=1642

http://www.mrmdvd.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=1604

http://www.tps.uk.com/?tab_name=SONY...&choice_id=209

Don't forget North American mains are different from UK or Aussie mains (120 VAC/60 hz. v 230 VAC/50 hz.). These players are UK spec and won't need mains voltage converter. Only thing you will need is a mains plug adaptor to connect to mains.

Also before ordering, enquire to be sure that any future OEM firmware upgrades won't disable the multi-region features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo8 View Post
Thanks for the info mate. I didn't realize that the sony blu ray is only 120vac I thought it is multivoltage. My sony projector is multivoltage.

Hmmm... it is slightly expensive in UK.

You get what you pay for.

BD multi-region modifications can be either of two types:
  • Firmware hacks
  • Permanent hardware modifications

With the former, you can't upgrade the player firmware without disabling the multi-region modification. With the latter, the multi-region feature will never be disabled after normal firmware update.

Multiregion Magic use an ICOS multi-region modification of the latter category. Quite stable, but obviously more expensive as the modification is quite involved.

You should peruse this thread:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=245235
Jamo8 likes this.

Last edited by Iain-; Today at 12:26 PM.
post #1510 of 1511 Old Today, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post
You get what you pay for.

BD multi-region modifications can be either of two types:
  • Firmware hacks
  • Permanent hardware modifications

With the former, you can't upgrade the player firmware without disabling the multi-region modification. With the latter, the multi-region feature will never be disabled after normal firmware update.

Multiregion Magic use an ICOS multi-region modification of the latter category. Quite stable, but obviously more expensive as the modification is quite involved.

You should peruse this thread:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=245235

Thanks again bud, you have been very helpful. Out of interest , what bluray player do you own ?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page