Official Sony BDP-S1200, BDP-S3200, BDP-S4200, BDP-S5200, BDP-S6200, and BDP-S7200 - Page 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 1628 Old 09-12-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 352
All great points. Didn't realize we were considering the 90 series. Streaming apps get worse and worse the farther back you go. I was talking about the current 200 series players when I said all the apps were the same.

The issues you posted are the main reasons I no longer have any 90 series players.
marctronixx likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1628 Old 09-13-2014, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioqueso View Post
Can someone with a BDP-x200 series player please do me a big favor?
Can you test out and see if the player menu can display Asian fonts?

The previous BDP-x100 series was incapable of displaying Asian fonts. It would display all the characters as just squares like this ---> [][][]
I would buy the newer series if it works properly.

Can someone with one of the newer x200 series please perform a test for me and see if it works.
The simplest way would be to rename a file or folder on a USB thumb drive with Asian fonts. If you plug the USB thumb drive into the Sony BDP, search for picture, audio, or video under USB. Does it display the folder or file properly, or does it come out as [][][]?

If you don't know how to type with Asian fonts, you could just copy this and rename the filename or foldername with it: 日本語テスト

Thank you for anyone who can do this for me.
FYI, the new x200 series can NOT display Asian fonts.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1623 of 1628 Old 09-16-2014, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have an OPPO-103 I am trying to compare with the 6200 and so far sort of undecided on which to keep. The OPPO is definitely a better built unit along with a few more function capabilities I think but the 6200 is about on par but certainly a cheaper build.
marctronixx likes this.

Army Rangers lead the way!

Pioneer SC-1523K, Sony BDP-S6200, Sharp Q+ 60" display, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12
post #1624 of 1628 Old 09-16-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertoliver View Post
I have an OPPO-103 I am trying to compare with the 6200 and so far sort of undecided on which to keep. The OPPO is definitely a better built unit along with a few more function capabilities I think but the 6200 is about on par but certainly a cheaper build.
Better built is only skin deep. My Insignia BD player (cheapest possible player you could buy) that's about 7 years old has EXACTLY the same disc drive (same make and model number) as a top of the line Oppo. Unless you're going to be hurling rocks at it, a plastic case versus metal case isn't going to make any difference. Does your laptop have a plastic case or metal? How about your TV, is it all metal? Yeah, I prefer a metal case too, but it's not worth $350 to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1625 of 1628 Old 09-16-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Better built is only skin deep. My Insignia BD player (cheapest possible player you could buy) that's about 7 years old has EXACTLY the same disc drive (same make and model number) as a top of the line Oppo. Unless you're going to be hurling rocks at it, a plastic case versus metal case isn't going to make any difference. Does your laptop have a plastic case or metal? How about your TV, is it all metal? Yeah, I prefer a metal case too, but it's not worth $350 to me.

You make a very good point mdavej.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1626 of 1628 Old Yesterday, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertoliver View Post
Keep them both.

I have a Sony s790 connected to the rear HDMI input of an OPPO103d so that I can access Internet video apps such as HukuPlus and Amazon prime that the Oppo doesn't support. The other media server that I use is the Amazon FireTV. It works brilliantly with the Oppo. One thing I like about the Sony is that it encodes DTS Neo6 surround via HDMI sound from Netflix two channel streams. The OPPO only encodes DTS Neo6 to the analogue outputs. BTW I have a Sony s7200 on order/
marctronixx likes this.
post #1627 of 1628 Old Yesterday, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Thanks to mdavej's comment's I have decided to scrap the plans to buy an Oppo and keep my S6200. My 6200 does everything I want it to do very well with no issues so there is no reason to replace it with an Oppo. So thanks to mdavej. His comments were right on the mark and saved me money.
marctronixx and Iain- like this.
post #1628 of 1628 Old Today, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post
Sure, most recent AVRs can decode the bitstream, but if you want to play a secondary audio track (ie. director/actor commentary) then decoding has to be done in the player. In this instance, that means multi-channel audio is no longer an option, no matter how recent your AVR is. That's why I think the removal of this feature is a big step backwards.
I thought this was only pertinent if you were using a Bonus View type commentary with the PiP window and whatever, no? 'Cause if you're just watching with a standard audio commentary, aren't you just switching to that audio track for the whole movie? Or does commentary always qualify as a secondary stream? I dunno, I've always used LPCM over HDMI so I can't really tell, but I always thought that's how it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post
My PS3 does almost everything, but it can't output Dolby TrueHD and 3D video simultaneously. My 6200 can do that, but the decoding limitation means that I still need the PS3 if I want to hear a commentary track with a TrueHD blu-ray. Sad that Sony doesn't have a blu-ray player in the current line-up that does it all.
One very odd shortcoming of the PS3 that they never bothered to fix. IIRC at first with 3D it did the same thing with DTS-HD MA but then they fixed that. Never a fix for TrueHD and now with PS4 being the main focus, I doubt they'll ever change that behaviour. Funny enough the PS4 couldn't even play BD-3D at first. Then the limitations of the S6200...it's like they're going backward or something.

Quote:
No, none.
It amazes me how they've done this. First with the Sx100 players they removed TrueHD decoding (only does 2ch on those models) but could still do DTS-HD decoding, and now they've just dropped both of them. How much money do they really save by doing this I wonder? A couple bucks? But it's not just Sony doing this either, looks like most other manufacturers have dropped decoding to LPCM of HD formats as well. So weird, esp. given the commentary issue. They add all this 4K crap that nobody needs, better wifi and streaming stuff (which I guess is of some use) but then they actually remove BD capability...in what is supposed to be a BD player!

Quote:
Theoretically there is, but no device exists that actually does it.
Well actually you'd need two S/PDIF links for linear audio (each is only capable of 4ch PCM) but yeah since this isn't actually done in practice anyway and never will be, it's moot.

Quote:
Then you'll have to get an older player or an AVR that decodes HD.
I'd also mention that if he were going to use multi-analog to also be aware of any 10dB LFE issues he might run into. A lot of older gear doesn't have proper provisions for this but I guess if the bass management is done in the player it should get it right. But really in this day and age I'm not sure it's worth bothering fooling around with that stuff--if I were him I'd upgrade the pre/pro to something new with full/up-to-date HDMI support.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page