Official OPPO BDP-105D Owner's Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Blu-ray Players > Official OPPO BDP-105D Owner's Thread

Blu-ray Players

rdgrimes's Avatar rdgrimes
11:14 AM Liked: 267
post #271 of 1149
03-04-2014 | Posts: 16,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB of Poole View Post

The one aspect of my 105D I cannot yet use is the network streaming. I have hi-res music files I wish to play. The media server software I have tried on my Windows 7 PC are all deficient. WMP is incapable of hi-def, JRiver is incomprehensibly complex and seems much more interested in pictures than audio. Twonky wants to play things in alphabetical track order (who was the lunatic who made that decision?) and finally I briefly tried oShare and discovered all sources appear to be infected with viruses. The player software I use is Foobar2000 but that does not seem to be able to act as a server. I like the idea of software that will allow the Oppo to access my PC folder structure directly and just let me play music - any file type, hi-res to 24/192, gapless and in track order. So come on guys .... smile.gif

You're using DNLA, which you don't need. The player supports SMB (direct file sharing), which will give you what you want. You only need to figure out how to flog Windows into sharing files.

To differentiate, the player uses different icons on the Network screen, one is for DNLA and one is for shares. Some DNLA servers show their own custom icon, like Windows. But shares always have a little icon that looks like two computer towers.
gsr's Avatar gsr
11:29 AM Liked: 236
post #272 of 1149
03-04-2014 | Posts: 7,702
Quote:

The one aspect of my 105D I cannot yet use is the network streaming. I have hi-res music files I wish to play. The media server software I have tried on my Windows 7 PC are all deficient. WMP is incapable of hi-def, JRiver is incomprehensibly complex and seems much more interested in pictures than audio. Twonky wants to play things in alphabetical track order (who was the lunatic who made that decision?)
If anything, JRiver is audio first and everything else second. There IS a learning curve to getting the most out of it, but it's well worth the effort.
Quote:
and finally I briefly tried oShare and discovered all sources appear to be infected with viruses.
confused.gif Huh??
DJB of Poole's Avatar DJB of Poole
11:32 AM Liked: 16
post #273 of 1149
03-04-2014 | Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

confused.gif Huh??

Yes - only two websites had downloads of oShare and in each case a virus or two came with it such that I scrapped the download and had to tidy up my machine. Odd eh?
11:40 AM Liked: 16
post #274 of 1149
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

You're using DNLA, which you don't need. The player supports SMB (direct file sharing), which will give you what you want. You only need to figure out how to flog Windows into sharing files.

To differentiate, the player uses different icons on the Network screen, one is for DNLA and one is for shares. Some DNLA servers show their own custom icon, like Windows. But shares always have a little icon that looks like two computer towers.

Thank you - found all that and the 'two towers' icon, enroled my Oppo in the Homegroup and set up sharing. Trouble is it rejects the username and password and still will not let me in! rolleyes.gif
gsr's Avatar gsr
11:54 AM Liked: 236
post #275 of 1149
Quote:

Thank you - found all that and the 'two towers' icon, enroled my Oppo in the Homegroup and set up sharing. Trouble is it rejects the username and password and still will not let me in! rolleyes.gif
Homegroup != SMB.

For the folder(s) you want to share, do the following in Windows Explorer:

1) Share the folder:

a) Right click on the folder you want to share and select Properties
b) Click on the Sharing tab.
c) Click the Advanced Sharing button.
d) Make sure the "Share this folder" checkbox is selected.
e) Click the Permissions button and make sure the user(s) you want to access the share with has at least Read permission.
f) Exit the Advanced Sharing dialog.

2) Setup folder security:

a) If you aren't still in the Properties dialog, right click on the folder you want to share and select Properties
b) Click on the Security tab.
c) Make sure the user(s) you want to access the share has at least Read permission.
d) If not, select the user and click the Edit button and setup the appropriate security in the dialog that opens.

You should then be able to access the network shares from the Oppo. A lot of people miss the part about setting up security.
12:13 PM Liked: 16
post #276 of 1149
Quote:

Homegroup != SMB.

For the folder(s) you want to share, do the following in Windows Explorer:

1) Share the folder:

a) Right click on the folder you want to share and select Properties
b) Click on the Sharing tab.
c) Click the Advanced Sharing button.
d) Make sure the "Share this folder" checkbox is selected.
e) Click the Permissions button and make sure the user(s) you want to access the share with has at least Read permission.
f) Exit the Advanced Sharing dialog.

2) Setup folder security:

a) If you aren't still in the Properties dialog, right click on the folder you want to share and select Properties
b) Click on the Security tab.
c) Make sure the user(s) you want to access the share has at least Read permission.
d) If not, select the user and click the Edit button and setup the appropriate security in the dialog that opens.

You should then be able to access the network shares from the Oppo. A lot of people miss the part about setting up security.

OK - done all that. I still get stopped by a demand for a password which is then rejected. And what do you mean by 2c) what users? Should the Oppo appear on the list?

But thanks for all the input so far - it is really useful.
thduke's Avatar thduke
12:21 PM Liked: 15
post #277 of 1149
03-04-2014 | Posts: 38
Quote:

OK - done all that. I still get stopped by a demand for a password which is then rejected. And what do you mean by 2c) what users? Should the Oppo appear on the list?

Make sure to add everyone to the shared folders as a user with read permission, the when OPPO request password leave all fields blank and press enter.
gsr's Avatar gsr
12:35 PM Liked: 236
post #278 of 1149
Quote:

The Oppo is a device, not a user. A user is a Windows user and is typically your name, such as "John.Smith". There are also special pre-defined users - as thduke mentioned there's one called "Everyone". When giving the Oppo a username and password to use, it has to be the same user you setup in the above steps.
04:29 PM Liked: 16
post #279 of 1149
Quote:
Originally Posted by thduke View Post

Make sure to add everyone to the shared folders as a user with read permission, the when OPPO request password leave all fields blank and press enter.

Again thanks for the suggestion - but that doesn't work - no username and password gives the same error as the right one.
04:34 PM Liked: 16
post #280 of 1149
Quote:

The Oppo is a device, not a user. A user is a Windows user and is typically your name, such as "John.Smith". There are also special pre-defined users - as thduke mentioned there's one called "Everyone". When giving the Oppo a username and password to use, it has to be the same user you setup in the above steps.

I am sorry but I don't quite understand - I know the Oppo is a device and I have tried adding it to the homegroup because it is listed there. The trouble here is that it gets me just so far but then fails to provide gapless playback. The Oppo can't have its own username and password, it has to log in as a user, which is what I am doing - except that it will not let me log in.

Maybe we have to give up. I do appreciate your efforts and I wish they had worked. Never mind.

It is gone 11 pm here now and I'm closing down till tomorrow. smile.gif
gsr's Avatar gsr
05:45 PM Liked: 236
post #281 of 1149
Quote:

I am sorry but I don't quite understand - I know the Oppo is a device and I have tried adding it to the homegroup because it is listed there.
Homegroups only work between Windows boxes, so making any changes related to your Homegroup isn't going to help you get the Oppo working to pull files from your PC.
Quote:
The trouble here is that it gets me just so far but then fails to provide gapless playback. The Oppo can't have its own username and password, it has to log in as a user, which is what I am doing - except that it will not let me log in.
As someone else mentioned, getting the shares setup properly so that everything works can be an exercise in frustration. It could be that your network sharing options in Windows control panel aren't setup properly. Open Control panel, navigate to "Network and Sharing Center" (how you get there depends on whether you have Control Panel set to display by Category or by Icons (the second option makes things easier, IMO) and then select "Change advanced sharing settings". Report back with your settings in there - it's possible you've got something set that will cause problems. Also, if you can include screenshots of your sharing and security setup (the things I suggested earlier) it would be easier for us to provide you with some guidance.
thduke's Avatar thduke
06:27 PM Liked: 15
post #282 of 1149
03-04-2014 | Posts: 38
Quote:

Homegroups only work between Windows boxes, so making any changes related to your Homegroup isn't going to help you get the Oppo working to pull files from your PC.
As someone else mentioned, getting the shares setup properly so that everything works can be an exercise in frustration. It could be that your network sharing options in Windows control panel aren't setup properly. Open Control panel, navigate to "Network and Sharing Center" (how you get there depends on whether you have Control Panel set to display by Category or by Icons (the second option makes things easier, IMO) and then select "Change advanced sharing settings". Report back with your settings in there - it's possible you've got something set that will cause problems. Also, if you can include screenshots of your sharing and security setup (the things I suggested earlier) it would be easier for us to provide you with some guidance.

Here is a link with screen shots of how to get Windows 7 working with OPPO http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432162/official-oppo-bdp-103-owners-thread/11730#post_23736008
02:56 AM Liked: 16
post #283 of 1149
03-05-2014 | Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by thduke View Post

Here is a link with screen shots of how to get Windows 7 working with OPPO http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432162/official-oppo-bdp-103-owners-thread/11730#post_23736008

My settings were already mostly like the ones in the screen shots. I have made a handful of changes to bring them all into line. End result is no change - the Oppo is still locked out by password control. Neither the correct username/password, nor no-username or password will work.

Having found the media server add-on to Foobar2000 I can now reach my files that way, but they do not play gaplessly. For my classical use it is useless. Using a USB drive either a stick or HDD does work and I can set gapless. Of all methods of accessing my downloads, this is the only one to work fully. For the time being I continue to be unable to use proper networking.

To step back for a moment, all other aspects of the Oppo are great smile.gif
Joe Appierto's Avatar Joe Appierto
03:22 AM Liked: 16
post #284 of 1149
03-05-2014 | Posts: 74
At the instruction of Oppo Customer Service I had to remove Windows Live Essentials before the Workgroup icon would allow me to go beyond the username/password screen. After that, I was able to access files on my PC via the Workgroup SMB.

Also, under Foobar2000 Preferences>Tools>UPnP>Controller, do you have the gapless check box selected?
08:19 AM Liked: 16
post #285 of 1149
03-06-2014 | Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Appierto View Post

At the instruction of Oppo Customer Service I had to remove Windows Live Essentials before the Workgroup icon would allow me to go beyond the username/password screen. After that, I was able to access files on my PC via the Workgroup SMB.

Also, under Foobar2000 Preferences>Tools>UPnP>Controller, do you have the gapless check box selected?

Yes - but it is still not properly silent gapless. Don't worry - I think I've given up trying to stream for now. It clearly is not simple enough to bother with.

Thanks for the advice though.

smile.gif
mcvt2k1's Avatar mcvt2k1
06:21 PM Liked: 10
post #286 of 1149
03-07-2014 | Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Appierto View Post

I had to do this too to make it stop asking for username/password.  i think this is the same for all media player that uses smb such as popcorn hour.

Joe Appierto's Avatar Joe Appierto
06:25 PM Liked: 16
post #287 of 1149
03-07-2014 | Posts: 74
Good to know that it's not a peculiarity of just the Oppo. Thanks.
mcvt2k1's Avatar mcvt2k1
06:28 PM Liked: 10
post #288 of 1149
03-07-2014 | Posts: 12

Anyone of you having intermittent problem with your 105d not being detected by a Mac computer via USB Audio?  I'm using Macbook Pro Retina, and sometimes it would not detect the unit plugged in to USB Audio.  The only solution I figured out is turn off the unit for A WHILE, turn it back on then it will detect it, or unplugged the usb before turning it back on - but sometimes this doesn't work and its effin' irritating!

Neuromancer's Avatar Neuromancer
08:49 PM Liked: 189
post #289 of 1149
03-07-2014 | Posts: 10,997
Make sure that you limit the audio output on the Mac to 24-bit/192KHz. The Mac may determine that the player can support 24-bit/384KHz, which the player can't.
RichB's Avatar RichB
09:13 PM Liked: 277
post #290 of 1149
03-07-2014 | Posts: 8,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvt2k1 View Post

Anyone of you having intermittent problem with your 105d not being detected by a Mac computer via USB Audio?  I'm using Macbook Pro Retina, and sometimes it would not detect the unit plugged in to USB Audio.  The only solution I figured out is turn off the unit for A WHILE, turn it back on then it will detect it, or unplugged the usb before turning it back on - but sometimes this doesn't work and its effin' irritating!

I was having this problem on my PC and I also used the iPad to see if it would be detected. It was still intermittent. I bought this Belkin Gold $9 USB cable and have had no problems since.

- Rich
campus1's Avatar campus1
01:00 AM Liked: 11
post #291 of 1149
03-08-2014 | Posts: 6

I can confirm problem of connection between Windows notebook and Oppo 105D by USB DAC. I tried 4 USB A-B cables and the only one that works reliably is the shortest (1 meter). The manual say no longer than 4 meters but I tried 2 meters and it works sometimes (random).

campus1's Avatar campus1
02:09 AM Liked: 11
post #292 of 1149
03-08-2014 | Posts: 6

for using Oppo 105D USB DAC with foobar2000 I can suggest you these 3 guides very useful:

1) http://wiki.oppodigital.com/index.php?title=BDP-105_Asynchronous_DAC_FAQ

2) http://support.oppo-digital.com.au/support/articles/103876-using-the-bdp-105au-as-an-asynchronous-usb

3) http://www.audiostream.com/content/how-play-dsd-file-using-foobar2000

Referring to the third guide, point 15, you have to select: "DoP Marker 0x05/0xFA".

Pressing INFO on the Oppo remote you will see on the TV:

1) for PCM: "USB AUDIO IN: Audio LPCM 2.0" followed by the sample frequency of the file playing;

2) for DSD: "USB AUDIO IN: Audio DSD 2.0"

For DSD demo tracks:

http://www.oppodigital.com/hra/dsd-by-davidelias.aspx

RichB's Avatar RichB
07:48 AM Liked: 277
post #293 of 1149
03-08-2014 | Posts: 8,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by campus1 View Post

I can confirm problem of connection between Windows notebook and Oppo 105D by USB DAC. I tried 4 USB A-B cables and the only one that works reliably is the shortest (1 meter). The manual say no longer than 4 meters but I tried 2 meters and it works sometimes (random).

For $10, you should give the Belkin gold a try. I have used it for 2 weeks now with no problems and 3 other cheap cables failed.

- Rich
Parrish's Avatar Parrish
12:22 PM Liked: 15
post #294 of 1149
03-08-2014 | Posts: 417
Is there a way to engage subs during 2 channel without setting mains to small?
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau
01:39 PM Liked: 1039
post #295 of 1149
03-08-2014 | Posts: 28,089
^ Kinda-sorta. See the SECOND configuration described in this post on OPPO's Knowledge Base for the 105. (The 105D works the same way for this):

http://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=15

The idea is that you are configuring the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs to produce full range output (and a stereo down-mix if you play multi-channel content). Meanwhile you are configuring the Sub analog output (which is actually part of the multi-channel set) to ALSO receive bass steered from the "Small" LF/RF speakers set in the multi-channel Analog speaker configuration. You don't actually wire the LF/RF jacks from the multi-channel set. Since the Sub's output RCA jack is receiving steered bass, that signal will need +15dB boost to match the level on the Dedicated Stereo RCA jacks (or +21dB boost to match the XLR jacks). Do this EXTERNAL to the player -- i.e., by raising the volume knob on the Sub itself.

NOW, using a configuration like this -- sometimes whimsically called "super bass" -- plays havoc with trying to get proper bass balance. But if you really want it, there it is.

Also note that when playing content from the Asynchronous USB DAC Input, or when playing SACD discs (or DSD media files) with DSD-Direct-to-Analog conversion engaged, Crossover processing won't happen (along with all other audio processing) -- which means the Sub output will remain silent unless you are playing multi-channel audio which happens to have content in its LFE channel. Use SACD Output PCM to avoid the DSD case.
--Bob
Parrish's Avatar Parrish
02:11 PM Liked: 15
post #296 of 1149
03-08-2014 | Posts: 417
Thanks
justbenice's Avatar justbenice
08:35 PM Liked: 50
post #297 of 1149
03-09-2014 | Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

For $10, you should give the Belkin gold a try. I have used it for 2 weeks now with no problems and 3 other cheap cables failed.

- Rich
Can you send me a link of that product ?
RichB's Avatar RichB
08:59 PM Liked: 277
post #298 of 1149
03-09-2014 | Posts: 8,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbenice View Post

Can you send me a link of that product ?

Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00062UKIY/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- Rich
wse's Avatar wse
09:13 PM Liked: 378
post #299 of 1149
03-09-2014 | Posts: 7,052
Quote:

Gets the job done but Monoprice are just as good and a lot cheaper
RichB's Avatar RichB
09:45 PM Liked: 277
post #300 of 1149
03-09-2014 | Posts: 8,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Gets the job done but Monoprice are just as good and a lot cheaper

I cannot be sure, I have had 3 different 10 foot cables and the Belkin is the first that worked well with the 105D.
It seems to be higher gauge and it is not expensive:)

- Rich
Tags: Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105

Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Blu-ray Players

Subscribe to this Thread