Official OPPO BDP-105D Owner's Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
First ... 17  18  19 20  21  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > Official OPPO BDP-105D Owner's Thread
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 08:29 AM 06-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post

Hello,

I currently have an OPPO 105 and a Darbee and am considering selling to upgrade to the 105D.

Has anyone gone from a 105/Darbee combo to the 105D? I know there will be sonic improvements, that is why I am doing it. I want to send DSD over async USB. I am curious if there is an improvement in video quality since OPPO did away with the Marvel chip for video. I likes my picture with the 105/Darbee combo now. I don't want to step down and would like to step up.

Also, this is crazy but, is anyone double-dipping with the 105D and an additional Darbee in the chain? Just a thought.

The 105 does have an ever so slight undefeatable NR. That is not present in the 105D and if you were to run your video with no such enhancements to the picture, there could be a slight improvement in PQ.
The audio difference you are already aware of. So, with regard to the 105 vs 105D, there is a slight step up depending on what features you value that are different between the two models.

As for doubling up on the Darbee, I have personally never tried it, but I have read some forum posts on others doing so and I think ultimately it isn't very successful.
2 Darbees @ 25% are pretty much the same as 1 Darbee @ 50%, but some people do seem to think there is a better pic with 2 of them in the chain.
Since you do already own a stand alone Darbee, and if you are going to buy the 105D, you could easily try it for yourself and if you don't like it, then sell off the stand alone Darbee unit or use it elsewhere.

enricoclaudio's Avatar enricoclaudio 08:56 AM 06-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Highlight the starting track on your hard drive in the player's Music media browser screen, and use Options > Gapless to initiate play of that track (and subsequent tracks in that folder) INSTEAD OF using the Enter or Play buttons.

If you've done it right, then "Gapless" will appear above the timeline when the Now Playing music screen appears.

You need to do this each time you want to use Gapless.
--Bob

In my case Gapless only works with WAW files. Neither mp3, aif or m4a files work with Gapless. Is this right? Also would be great if you can use Gapless when you play thru the network files stored in a NAS.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 09:08 AM 06-04-2014
^ Gapless is a work in progress. At present only WAV, APE, and FLAC files are supported, and only from an attached hard drive.

As OPPO gets more experience with this, it is reasonable to suppose the support will be extended. But when that might happen would just be a guess.
--Bob
DJB of Poole's Avatar DJB of Poole 10:11 AM 06-04-2014
Quote:

^ Gapless is a work in progress. At present only WAV, APE, and FLAC files are supported, and only from an attached hard drive.

As OPPO gets more experience with this, it is reasonable to suppose the support will be extended. But when that might happen would just be a guess.
--Bob

The problem is that for the opera fan gapless playback is an essential and needs to be a default applied across the board. I do realise that this designation (opera fan) probably only applies to 0.1% of the downloading fraternity. For me, this little exercise in streaming has been fruitless and I have disconnected the HDD from the USB port. I learned some good stuff, but I will stick to SACD and Blu-ray for my hi-res opera. Streaming is not yet fit for my purpose.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 10:25 AM 06-04-2014
^ To be clear, using a hard drive on a USB port is not "streaming". (Streaming is doing stuff over the network.)

There are lots of folks here (*raises hand*) who use Gapless with opera right now. You need to convert your recordings into a supported file format (e.g., WAV or APE or FLAC) and play them from an attached hard drive. If you have multi-channel recordings, that too will work Gapless from, e.g, FLAC files on an attached hard drive.
--Bob
DJB of Poole's Avatar DJB of Poole 03:27 PM 06-04-2014
Quote:

^ To be clear, using a hard drive on a USB port is not "streaming". (Streaming is doing stuff over the network.)

There are lots of folks here (*raises hand*) who use Gapless with opera right now. You need to convert your recordings into a supported file format (e.g., WAV or APE or FLAC) and play them from an attached hard drive. If you have multi-channel recordings, that too will work Gapless from, e.g, FLAC files on an attached hard drive.
--Bob

Thanks Bob, I stand corrected. But what is playing downloads from an attached HDD called? (Genuine question). My files are in a correct format, they are all .WAV. The point I am making is that there is too much fiddling involved to make it play correctly though the Oppo gets me closest of all equipment to success.

As for playing from the network, I have found that utterly resistant to working at all. My PC and my AV are not at all friendly despite sharing the household network. With thousands of LPs and even more thousands of CDs and SACDs the business of playing digital files is a new and mysterious art I have not conquered and possibly don't need to conquer.

But all is not gloom, the latest Oppo firmware finally allowed me to 'stream' (is that right this time?) the Berlin Digital Concert Hall: really good stuff and I'm getting much pleasure from it.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 03:41 PM 06-04-2014
^ Yes playing content via the Internet apps and playing media files over the network from SMB or DLNA servers are all "streaming". Basically if it uses the network, it is "streaming".

Playing directly attached content, such as a shiny disc or content or content from an attached hard drive or content fed from some other device into one of the "Inputs" of the 105D is not streaming, but doesn't really have a name. Usually people just specify where the content is coming from -- e.g.,"My DirecTV box feeding the HDMI BACK Input". Or, "My Mac Mini feeding the Asynchronous USB DAC Input".

Playing properly formatted WAV files from an attached hard drive should be straightforward. If you have examples of files you've purchased that don't work, get the details to OPPO Tech Support and they can sort out what's going on. There are known instances of improperly formatted files being sold for download -- nothing malicious; just sloppy. It is also possible to have an error in the partitioning or formatting of the hard disk drive itself which is getting in the way. Diagnosing this depends on the details, such as exactly what's happening when you try to play the files.

There is a free utility that's been discussed here called MediaInfo which displays all the formatting details of media files, and that too can be helpful.
--Bob
rajivarora's Avatar rajivarora 04:45 PM 06-06-2014
Sorry if this has been posted somewhere. Do any of the region / zone unlocking solutions also disable UOP? UOP (User Operation Prohibition) is where you're locked out of skipping previews and other stuff before getting control back.

Best I can tell, the bluraychip.dk mod does not disable UOP. Wondering if any solution to UOP exists?
JazzGuyy's Avatar JazzGuyy 04:51 PM 06-06-2014
There is no known solution other than extracting the movie files to a format like .mkv.
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 05:18 PM 06-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivarora View Post

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere. Do any of the region / zone unlocking solutions also disable UOP? UOP (User Operation Prohibition) is where you're locked out of skipping previews and other stuff before getting control back.

Best I can tell, the bluraychip.dk mod does not disable UOP. Wondering if any solution to UOP exists?

For DVD the YELLOW button attempts that, and usually works, either hitting the main menu or starting the longest title on the disc.

For Blu-ray it is probably not possible as a general rule: when the java loads is not standardized and if you skip it the disc won't play as the vendor intended. The licensing rules may even prohibit this, as in "You'll watch our ads and like it."

-Bill
mepstein10's Avatar mepstein10 12:36 AM 06-15-2014
Just picked up an Oppo 105D to replace my 103 and a Cambridge Audio azur 740C. Since I am more into audio than video, wanted see if there were any worthwhile modifications that anyone would be able to recommend. I've seen alot of different mods out there, but not entirely sure whether any of them are good, or worth the asking price for modification.
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 12:44 AM 06-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mepstein10 View Post
Just picked up an Oppo 105D to replace my 103 and a Cambridge Audio azur 740C. Since I am more into audio than video, wanted see if there were any worthwhile modifications that anyone would be able to recommend. I've seen alot of different mods out there, but not entirely sure whether any of them are good, or worth the asking price for modification.
No recommendations from me. I think the the player sounds awesome in it's stock form. Just check out all the reviews on Oppo's website.
I think most mods are just after money more than real performance upgrades. Just because a mod makes it sound different, doesn't make it sound better.
Take the money you would spend on the mod, and put it into something else worthwhile in your system. Like maybe a pair of Oppo's new fabulous headphones.
mepstein10's Avatar mepstein10 02:35 PM 06-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Quote:
No recommendations from me. I think the the player sounds awesome in it's stock form. Just check out all the reviews on Oppo's website.
I think most mods are just after money more than real performance upgrades. Just because a mod makes it sound different, doesn't make it sound better.
Take the money you would spend on the mod, and put it into something else worthwhile in your system. Like maybe a pair of Oppo's new fabulous headphones.
I take any reviews from the manufacturer with a grain of salt. It is in their best interest to sell you the player afterall. And it isn't reall answering the question. I do not disagree that the player sounds great. But there are ways to make it sound better, and I'm certain at least a few people had modifications done to their units.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 03:13 PM 06-15-2014
^ You mean like THIS sort of thing?

Sure there are a variety of outfits out there which are offering more or less extensive (read more or less expensive) mods.

Some of that has been discussed in the thread for the original 105. A Google search for OPPO BDP-105 mods or OPPO BDP-105D mods should find you some links to peruse while waiting for folks to comment.

How you vet customer comments regarding such mods is another problem altogether....
--Bob
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 04:31 PM 06-15-2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I take any reviews from the manufacturer with a grain of salt. It is in their best interest to sell you the player after all. And it isn't really answering the question. I do not disagree that the player sounds great. But there are ways to make it sound better, and I'm certain at least a few people had modifications done to their units.
Not sure what you mean by "reviews from the manufacturer".
Independent reviews, MANY of them, have reviewed and benchmarked the BDP-105 and it is considered to be a reference quality player for both video and sound.
There have been many industry awards. These are not bogus propaganda reviews and rewards. They come from credible sources.
Like I said you can read them for yourself, but if you don't want to take the time to do so that's up to you.

I won't say the BDP-105 is the end game for best sound.
You can get better sound, but it's going to cost a heck of a lot more than the price of the 105 or 105D.
For me personally, if I had the money to burn, I would just go with a different setup with a better DAC rather than mucking with the Oppo.
Different strokes for different folks I suppose, but I still think most of the mods for 'supposedly better sound' from Oppo players is snake oil.
I have never heard any credible evidence that claims a mod actually reveals more real world details in an Oppo 105(D).
Again, just because you can make it sound different, doesn't make it sound better.
mepstein10's Avatar mepstein10 04:55 PM 06-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Sure there are a variety of outfits out there which are offering more or less extensive (read more or less expensive) mods.

Some of that has been discussed in the thread for the original 105. A Google search for OPPO BDP-105 mods or OPPO BDP-105D mods should find you some links to peruse while waiting for folks to comment.

How you vet customer comments regarding such mods is another problem altogether....
--Bob
Exactly. I cannot tell whether those customer comments are legitimate or not.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I take any reviews from the manufacturer with a grain of salt. It is in their best interest to sell you the player after all. And it isn't really answering the question. I do not disagree that the player sounds great. But there are ways to make it sound better, and I'm certain at least a few people had modifications done to their units.
Independent reviews, MANY of them, have reviewed and benchmarked the BDP-105 and it is considered to be a reference quality player for both video and sound.
There have been many industry awards. These are not bogus propaganda reviews and rewards. They come from credible sources.
Like I said you can read them for yourself, but if you don't want to take the time to do so that's up to you.

You can get better sound, but it's going to cost a heck of a lot more than the price of the 105 or 105D.
For me personally, if I had the money to burn, I would just go with a different setup with a better DAC rather than mucking with the Oppo.
Different strokes for different folks I suppose, but I still think most of the mods for 'supposedly better sound' from Oppo players is snake oil.
I have never heard any credible evidence that claims a mod actually reveals more real world details in an Oppo 105(D).
Again, just because you can make it sound different, doesn't make it sound better.
I also do not want to have a bunch of different devices.

Under that consideration, what DAC would you get? I don't do headphones, my setup is moniter audio bx for my bedroom and Martin Logan Ethos + HSU sub for my entertainment room.
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 05:34 PM 06-15-2014
Quote:
Quote:

--Bob
Exactly. I cannot tell whether those customer comments are legitimate or not.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I also do not want to have a bunch of different devices.

Under that consideration, what DAC would you get? I don't do headphones, my setup is moniter audio bx for my bedroom and Martin Logan Ethos + HSU sub for my entertainment room.
I wouldn't even know for sure. I know there is better audiophile equipment out there, but I can't afford it, so I don't follow it much.
The BDP-105D offers incredible sound and features for the money so that's better than good enough for me.
There's the 2CH audio forum here on AVS, also another forum for uber high end expensive a/v gear. You could maybe try one of those forums.
RichB's Avatar RichB 06:04 PM 06-15-2014
Quote:

--Bob

Sure it sounds great. But, late a night when it levitates and begins taking samples to send back to its home world.

- Rich
mepstein10's Avatar mepstein10 07:44 PM 06-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
Quote:

--Bob

Sure it sounds great. But, late a night when it levitates and begins taking samples to send back to its home world.

- Rich
But it would be a great ice breaker. "So the OPPO 105D I got is out of this world!"
OmarF's Avatar OmarF 05:49 AM 06-16-2014
^ The real problem is not if it sends data back home...it's what it's beaming into your BRAIN that worries me the most :-)

Omar
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 05:56 AM 06-16-2014
^ Thats just the subliminal, "BUY MORE PLAYER MODS! BUY MORE PLAYER MODS!"

Nothing to be alarmed about.
--Bob
Shaker Man's Avatar Shaker Man 11:05 AM 06-16-2014
First, thanks for the helpful info here.

We're building a combined HT/2 channel system and leaning toward getting the 105D. Some questions:

1) I enjoy HP listening and have a portable set up w/Audeze LCD-3. I want an in-room HP set up. Already have the HP amp (SPL Phonitor 2). So want to pair that with a DAC/CD etc. If we go with the 105D, what have people's experiences been connecting it to a dedicated HP amp (instead of using the 105D's HP amp)?

2) While I prefer a balanced set up, given that I already have the SPL HP amp, the 105D internal amp is not of use/interest so that is not a need nor justification for paying more. Have people found that the balanced outs on the 105D, in addition to the increased connectivity and dedicated DACs, are sufficient to justify its purchase over the 1003D?

3) Have thought about separate DAC, universal player, but hard for me to be persuaded to go this route based on what I've read. Thoughts on this?

4) Finally, as part of our system set up, we were originally planning to use one of the Marantz preamps. Any benefit to this (besides room correction) versus using the 105D as our pre? How about SQ effects? I'm sure our dealer/installer will try to push the purchase of the Marantz pre since that was part of our initial plan and he has a financial interest in selling it to us.

Thank you
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 11:43 AM 06-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker Man View Post

We're building a combined HT/2 channel system and leaning toward getting the 105D. Some questions:

1) I enjoy HP listening and have a portable set up w/Audeze LCD-3. I want an in-room HP set up. Already have the HP amp (SPL Phonitor 2). So want to pair that with a DAC/CD etc. If we go with the 105D, what have people's experiences been connecting it to a dedicated HP amp (instead of using the 105D's HP amp)?
The built in HP amp on the player is very good, but not necessarily reference quality. It's fairly simple to run 2CH digital audio output from the Oppo to separate HP amp, but you will be limited in some ways. This wouldn't be a shortcoming of the player itself, but because of industry laws, because things like DSD and lossless audio can not be sent over spdif connections. Only hdmi and analog, and of course when you use the analog you will be using the DAC in the player, and in order to use HDMI, your HP amp would have to have an HDMI input, but I doubt that it does.

2) While I prefer a balanced set up, given that I already have the SPL HP amp, the 105D internal amp is not of use/interest so that is not a need nor justification for paying more. Have people found that the balanced outs on the 105D, in addition to the increased connectivity and dedicated DACs, are sufficient to justify its purchase over the 1003D? Absolutely yes! The 105/105D are known for their exception analog sound quality and is the main attribute for most buyers and is what makes the price over the 103/103D worth the money paid.

3) Have thought about separate DAC, universal player, but hard for me to be persuaded to go this route based on what I've read. Thoughts on this?
Are you aware that Oppo has just released a reference quality HP amp that is also a 2CH pre-amp and a DAC? Based on your comments thus far, it sounds to me like you could possibly replace your current HP amp with the Oppo HA-1 HP amp, and then combine that with an Oppo BDP-103D player for the perfect combo. However, if you are going to use analog audio for your HT surround sound experience, then you would want to use the 105D for it's better analog sound.

4) Finally, as part of our system set up, we were originally planning to use one of the Marantz preamps. Any benefit to this (besides room correction) versus using the 105D as our pre? How about SQ effects? I'm sure our dealer/installer will try to push the purchase of the Marantz pre since that was part of our initial plan and he has a financial interest in selling it to us. Thank you.
The 105D can be used as a preamp and you can connect it directly to quality power amps for an awesome setup even without a dedicated separate pre-amp. It all depends on what features you feel you need in a preamp. When using the player as a preamp, it is very limited to a few necessary features like speaker distance and level trims and crossover. It does not have all the fancy things a separate preamp would have. However many people do use it in that way, including me. I have an AVR I could use, but I currently just connect the player directly to power amps since the sound is better than running it through the avr.
Shaker Man's Avatar Shaker Man 12:12 PM 06-16-2014
Thanks for that quick and helpful reply!

Quote:
Quote:

The built in HP amp on the player is very good, but not necessarily reference quality. It's fairly simple to run 2CH digital audio output from the Oppo to separate HP amp, but you will be limited in some ways. This wouldn't be a shortcoming of the player itself, but because of industry laws, because things like DSD and lossless audio can not be sent over spdif connections. Only hdmi and analog, and of course when you use the analog you will be using the DAC in the player, and in order to use HDMI, your HP amp would have to have an HDMI input, but I doubt that it does.
You're correct -- the SPL Phonitor 2 does not have HDMI input, but one of the reasons I love it is that it does have balanced input/ouput. When you say that "when you use the analong you will be using the DAC in the player" I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. My intention is to use the DAC in the 105D and bypass the 105D's HP amp so that I can use the SPL which is better. As far as connecting the 105D to my SPL HP amp with the balanced XLR, if I do that is there anyway to also use the balanced /XLR audio outs on the 105D to also feed my 2 channel system without having to unplug/plug each time (e.g. line splitter or will that degrade SQ)?

2) While I prefer a balanced set up, given that I already have the SPL HP amp, the 105D internal amp is not of use/interest so that is not a need nor justification for paying more. Have people found that the balanced outs on the 105D, in addition to the increased connectivity and dedicated DACs, are sufficient to justify its purchase over the 1003D? Absolutely yes! The 105/105D are known for their exception analog sound quality and is the main attribute for most buyers and is what makes the price over the 103/103D worth the money paid.
Thanks -- that's why I need to ensure there's a way to use the 105D balanced output for both my HP amp and the 2 channel system.

Are you aware that Oppo has just released a reference quality HP amp that is also a 2CH pre-amp and a DAC? Based on your comments thus far, it sounds to me like you could possibly replace your current HP amp with the Oppo HA-1 HP amp, and then combine that with an Oppo BDP-103D player for the perfect combo. However, if you are going to use analog audio for your HT surround sound experience, then you would want to use the 105D for it's better analog sound. No I was not aware of this. Looks very intriguing. Just bought the SPL (arrives today), so not really crazy about selling it. Plus it has some cool features that the Oppo does not. That said, I love that the Oppo has a remote. Still, if I were to pair the Oppo HA-1 with the 103, I lose the balanced outputs as you noted.

4) Finally, as part of our system set up, we were originally planning to use one of the Marantz preamps. Any benefit to this (besides room correction) versus using the 105D as our pre? How about SQ effects? I'm sure our dealer/installer will try to push the purchase of the Marantz pre since that was part of our initial plan and he has a financial interest in selling it to us. Thank you.
The 105D can be used as a preamp and you can connect it directly to quality power amps for an awesome setup even without a dedicated separate pre-amp. It all depends on what features you feel you need in a preamp. When using the player as a preamp, it is very limited to a few necessary features like speaker distance and level trims and crossover. It does not have all the fancy things a separate preamp would have. However many people do use it in that way, including me. I have an AVR I could use, but I currently just connect the player directly to power amps since the sound is better than running it through the avr.
I'm really struggling with this decision. I would love to save the money if I don't need/benefit from a separate preamp. My dealer/installer has been talking up the room Audyssey benefits since the beginning as there are some challenges our room will have as far as SQ/set up. This is one of the more difficult questions I'm dealing with.

Thanks again for the advice

ehlarson's Avatar ehlarson 12:51 PM 06-16-2014
Soo....

I have a Nexus 5 tablet. Now that Amazon Prime has an audio service I'm interested in what possible ways of connecting the tablet to my Oppo 105 are. Anyone done this?
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 02:43 PM 06-16-2014
Quote:
Thanks for that quick and helpful reply!

Quote:
Quote:

You're correct -- the SPL Phonitor 2 does not have HDMI input, but one of the reasons I love it is that it does have balanced input/ouput. When you say that "when you use the analong you will be using the DAC in the player" I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. My intention is to use the DAC in the 105D and bypass the 105D's HP amp so that I can use the SPL which is better. As far as connecting the 105D to my SPL HP amp with the balanced XLR, if I do that is there anyway to also use the balanced /XLR audio outs on the 105D to also feed my 2 channel system without having to unplug/plug each time (e.g. line splitter or will that degrade SQ)?

Thanks -- that's why I need to ensure there's a way to use the 105D balanced output for both my HP amp and the 2 channel system.

Are you aware that Oppo has just released a reference quality HP amp that is also a 2CH pre-amp and a DAC? Based on your comments thus far, it sounds to me like you could possibly replace your current HP amp with the Oppo HA-1 HP amp, and then combine that with an Oppo BDP-103D player for the perfect combo. However, if you are going to use analog audio for your HT surround sound experience, then you would want to use the 105D for it's better analog sound. No I was not aware of this. Looks very intriguing. Just bought the SPL (arrives today), so not really crazy about selling it. Plus it has some cool features that the Oppo does not. That said, I love that the Oppo has a remote. Still, if I were to pair the Oppo HA-1 with the 103, I lose the balanced outputs as you noted.

I'm really struggling with this decision. I would love to save the money if I don't need/benefit from a separate preamp. My dealer/installer has been talking up the room Audyssey benefits since the beginning as there are some challenges our room will have as far as SQ/set up. This is one of the more difficult questions I'm dealing with.

Thanks again for the advice

Well if you are going to use Audyssey, there is no point in using analog audio, since using Audyssey would require ADC (analog to digital conversion).
Once you do that, the benefit you gain for the Oppo's DAC is lost, and thus defeats the purpose of spending the extra money over the 103/103D models.
However, IF you are still going to use the dedicated 2CH analog output from the player, then the cost may still be justified.
Something you could try is to get the 105D first, run it directly to your amps and see how you like the sound.
Then if you choose to, add a pre-amp in later if you think you need the Audyssey.
Unless your room is very problematic, it can still sound excellent with the player+amps.
A lot can also be done with room treatments to tame problematic room nodes and hot spots and what not.

If you are content with keeping your new HP amp, then the BDP-105D would be your best bet for your 2CH audio listening via analog.
As for your question regarding splitting the balanced output, you may have a couple of options there.
First, you could use a high quality dedicated splitter. I am not sure of any specific models, but I would think that there are some out there.
Second, the balanced and unbalanced output from the 105D should be active simultaneously, and you could run the balanced into one setup,
and the unbalanced to another setup.
Thirdly, you say that your HP amp has balanced outputs?
If so, then why not run a pair of cables from the player to the HP amp, then also run a pair out of the HP amp into a separate amp for your external 2Ch system (?).
^I guess that would also depend on IF your HP amp is capable of that.
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 02:49 PM 06-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post
Soo....

I have a Nexus 5 tablet. Now that Amazon Prime has an audio service I'm interested in what possible ways of connecting the tablet to my Oppo 105 are. Anyone done this?
I don't think so since there is no Amazon app in the player.
You could possibly do it with a laptop/pc and 3rd party software (MAYBE!), but not with a tablet.
If I'm wrong, someone please feel free to say so, but I'm pretty sure it can't be done.
hhopkins's Avatar hhopkins 03:08 PM 06-16-2014
Quote:
I sent my Oppo 105D to Ric Schultz of EVS for his all out mod including his basic mod package, new low jitter clocks, an Audio Magic Pulse Gen ZX installed on AC input, J-fet buffer output stages installed on balanced and single ended stereo outputs and center channel out and new linear power supply.

The unit was well broken in before sending it to Ric. The modified player I received back is much improved in all areas including sound stage, detail, separation of instruments, etc. Blu ray video is sharper with better color saturation and depth.

I play 2 channel and multichannel SACD and DVD audio disks, red book disks, blu ray audio only and blu ray video. All are improved. I am hearing details in some disks for the first time - fingers sliding on guitar strings, very faint bells and cymbals, etc.

I feed my Epson 8700ub projector directly from the Oppo. Analog audio is fed from the Oppo to the single ended multi channel analog inputs of my modified Onkyo 5508 prepro. All processing is done in the Oppo as the prepro is used only as a multichannel analog preamp. Other digital sources are fed directly to the Oppo through its two HDMI inputs.

I use Dunlavy IVs for left and right front channels with a Dunlavy IVA for the center. All three Dunlavys are driven by Odyssey stratos glass ceiling monoblocks. I consider the Dunlavys to be the weakest link in my audio chain.

Check out Ric's web site at tweakaudio.com or just search for EVS Audio. He is very easy and interesting to talk with. He does custom modifications of Oppo players and other equipment and is developing a line of open baffle planar magnetic speaker kits.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 04:34 PM 06-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhopkins View Post
. . . .
Blu ray video is sharper with better color saturation and depth.
. . . .
An incredible, even unbelievable, achievement.
--Bob
ehlarson's Avatar ehlarson 06:17 PM 06-16-2014
Quote:
I don't think so since there is no Amazon app in the player.
You could possibly do it with a laptop/pc and 3rd party software (MAYBE!), but not with a tablet.
If I'm wrong, someone please feel free to say so, but I'm pretty sure it can't be done.
There is an Amazon music app available for Android tablets. What I was hoping was a way to stream from the tablet to the Oppo.
Tags: Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105
First ... 17  18  19 20  21  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop