Official OPPO BDP-105D Owner's Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1115 Old 07-01-2014, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Could you please explain where firmware is covered under the rule page you linked to? I'm not being smart, but I searched for the word firmware there and found nothing. I'm fine not posting about it if that's genuinely the rules...

Personally, I'm confused on how a firmware upgrade is any different than the scam places that get talked about here that "upgrade" players by adding "better" parts that supposedly improve sound? I guess that's not considered as "hacking" since you obtain no noticeable results? Don't get me started about the $1000+ power cords and other scams that are all over the threads here, along with the personal attacks on folks I see daily (including one's directed at me). I guess those don't warrant moderation...

IMHO, if I own the device, then it is 100% legal for me to install whatever software/firmware on it I choose. If not, please show me one court case that says otherwise?

I know I did ask about iso files, but I assure you I own 100% of my blu-rays. Is this why my post was flagged?

I know it's not illegal or wrong to want to play discs I own that are from the UK, Germany, etc... Is this why my post was flagged? Because I wanted to see Howard the Duck in HD and had to order a German disc?

I have been a long time user here, but will consider other sites in the future when I have an intelligent product question. If anyone has a suggestion on which site to consult, please PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1115 Old 07-01-2014, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Post three by Mark. Site admin is not allowing links to sites selling hacked firmware.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #633 of 1115 Old 07-04-2014, 03:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wondering how you activate darbee for both the netflix and vudu apps? I can get it working whilst playing a bluray or via content on the hdmi input, but not with the apps

Many thanks

James
post #634 of 1115 Old 07-04-2014, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmagoo View Post
Just wondering how you activate darbee for both the netflix and vudu apps? I can get it working whilst playing a bluray or via content on the hdmi input, but not with the apps

Many thanks

James
It actually is applied to the video output while using those apps, but you cannot access any device menus while inside vudu or netflix. You can thank them for those restrictions while using their apps.

Omar
post #635 of 1115 Old 07-04-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

Many thanks

James
While you cannot get to the Darbee menu at that time, I do believe Darbee is in whatever mode you left it while you could see the menu.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #636 of 1115 Old 07-04-2014, 02:52 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
^ Correct. And that's easy enough to prove. Just set a ridiculously high Darbee percentage value, activate either of the Darbee demo modes (Split Screen or Swipe Screen) and go launch Netflix or VUDU.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #637 of 1115 Old 07-04-2014, 05:40 PM

Ok thanks for the advice, it would be so much better if you could access it while watching, is this a limitation imposed by oppo or the app providers?
post #638 of 1115 Old 07-04-2014, 05:43 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Ok thanks for the advice, it would be so much better if you could access it while watching, is this a limitation imposed by oppo or the app providers?
As far as we know, it's a limitation imposed by the app providers.
post #639 of 1115 Old 07-04-2014, 05:45 PM

I just received my first oppo yesterday so forgive my questions.

I have my analogue connected so that my RCA stereo leads are used as my FL,FR speakers in a multichannel set up. I'm running the leads into a denon AVR4311 receiver via the Ext. In ports. Is this correct or should I have my FL,FR connected and disregard the stereo leads?

Also, whilst listening to music is it possible to output 2.1 via anologue so my subwoofer comes into play? As far as I can see the Crossover in the AVR is disabled when using ext. In.

Thanks again

James
post #640 of 1115 Old 07-04-2014, 05:50 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
I have my analogue connected so that my RCA stereo leads are used as my FL,FR speakers in a multichannel set up. I'm running the leads into a denon AVR4311 receiver via the Ext. In ports. Is this correct or should I have my FL,FR connected and disregard the stereo leads?
Yes, that's fine. Just make sure you go into the setup menu and configure the stereo outputs to be front left/right instead of the default stereo downmix. Otherwise you'll end up with odd results when listening to multichannel content as the center and surround content will end up duplicated in the stereo outputs.

Quote:
Also, whilst listening to music is it possible to output 2.1 via anologue so my subwoofer comes into play? As far as I can see the Crossover in the AVR is disabled when using ext. In.
Adjust the Oppo speaker configuration so your speakers are set to small and configure the crossover frequency to an appropriate value for your speakers.
post #641 of 1115 Old 07-04-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Adjust the Oppo speaker configuration so your speakers are set to small and configure the crossover frequency to an appropriate value for your speakers.
Ok I will try that again it didn't seem to work last night when I tested that but perhaps I had something wrong.

Also, is there any issues in using the oppo to adjust the volume instead of the AVR? I planning on setting the AVR volume to a high level then use the oppo to adjust from there. Or will this apply unessasary processing to the audio?

Thank you very much for your help

James
post #642 of 1115 Old 07-04-2014, 06:50 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Ok I will try that again it didn't seem to work last night when I tested that but perhaps I had something wrong.
It definitely should have worked in that you should have had audio - all of the outputs are always active.

Quote:
Also, is there any issues in using the oppo to adjust the volume instead of the AVR? I planning on setting the AVR volume to a high level then use the oppo to adjust from there. Or will this apply unessasary processing to the audio?
It would work, but I question why you would want to do it that way. If you decide to do it that way, be VERY careful switching sources on the AVR as they'll blast you out of the room if you forget to turn the volume down. My recommendation for your configuration would be to leave the Oppo at a fixed volume level (100%) and use the volume control on the AVR.

Another question is do you normally use Audyssey room correction in your AVR? If so, why are you using the ext in connection? I'd suggest comparing the ext in connection versus using HDMI from the Oppo and go with what you prefer. If you find you prefer HDMI with room correction enabled on the 4311, you might consider exchanging the 105D for a 103D to save some money.
post #643 of 1115 Old 07-04-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
It definitely should have worked in that you should have had audio - all of the outputs are always active.

It would work, but I question why you would want to do it that way. If you decide to do it that way, be VERY careful switching sources on the AVR as they'll blast you out of the room if you forget to turn the volume down. My recommendation for your configuration would be to leave the Oppo at a fixed volume level (100%) and use the volume control on the AVR.

Another question is do you normally use Audyssey room correction in your AVR? If so, why are you using the ext in connection? I'd suggest comparing the ext in connection versus using HDMI from the Oppo and go with what you prefer. If you find you prefer HDMI with room correction enabled on the 4311, you might consider exchanging the 105D for a 103D to save some money.
Thanks again, I did get it working had the down mix set to 5.1 instead of what you suggested.

I was only looking to use the oppo for volume so I could have the on screen display, no other real reason. Will consider your advice and may put it back.

I was using the audyssey but I think the analogue sounds much better. Probably will do a side by side comparison though.

Thanks again for your help

James
post #644 of 1115 Old 07-04-2014, 07:33 PM

Finally,

By changing the down mix to 'Stereo Signal FRONT LEFT/RIGHT' means I need to change it back to 5.1 when watching a blu ray? I assume so as it would use the surround speakers with the other setting.

Again thank you for your time

James
post #645 of 1115 Old 07-04-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Finally,

By changing the down mix to 'Stereo Signal FRONT LEFT/RIGHT' means I need to change it back to 5.1 when watching a blu ray? I assume so as it would use the surround speakers with the other setting.

Again thank you for your time

James

James, I think you're confusing a couple different settings on your 105. GSR recommended to modify the "Stereo Signal" setting (p.76 of the manual) to "Front Left/Right". The default is "Downmixed Stereo". There's only 2 different options for this setting. The other setting is "Downmix Mode", which is found in the Speaker Configuration menu. You can leave that setting to match the number of speakers you have (i.e. 5.1).
post #646 of 1115 Old 07-04-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
James, I think you're confusing a couple different settings on your 105. GSR recommended to modify the "Stereo Signal" setting (p.76 of the manual) to "Front Left/Right". The default is "Downmixed Stereo". There's only 2 different options for this setting. The other setting is "Downmix Mode", which is found in the Speaker Configuration menu. You can leave that setting to match the number of speakers you have (i.e. 5.1).
You are right and I was getting confused, all sorted now thank you.

On a side note, just tested two different songs first the hidden track on jaggered little pill where it's just vocals and second Mary Jane shoes from fergy. Running a sonos connect into the avr4311 via the optical input, then the same songs connected to the oppo. The avr4311 sounds a lot more processed whilst the oppo sounds like your right there live. Hard to describe but the oppo certainly sounds better.

Anyway, thanks for everybody's help

James
post #647 of 1115 Old 07-05-2014, 09:40 AM

Liked: 15
Has someone used the 105d with a 4k uhdtv? Just wondering how good the 4k upscaling is for blurays and how good darbee is when upscaling to 4k-

Coton de Tulear-IndyFab-Kuro-XBR8-Sharp Elite-LG OLED - Current Loves of my life.
post #648 of 1115 Old 07-06-2014, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Friends

Will Netflix be possible to be upgraded in Oppo to play 4k contents?

Thanks
post #649 of 1115 Old 07-06-2014, 09:27 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ At this point it looks like Netflix is doing 4K only for apps inside TVs -- which avoids the whole issue of what to send over the HDMI cable TO the TV.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #650 of 1115 Old 07-07-2014, 07:19 AM

Liked: 1
Hello,
I am the new one who has interest into OPPO 105D, main target audio, but also intereseted for video perfromances,

Audio
  • Can OPPO 105D play ALAC files (m4a) via DLNA or Upnp, or can Jriver play ALAC and OPPO USB DAC convert them to annalog?
  • Which software could lbe use to convert alac to flac, any software solution for automaticaly conversion of 400 cd (actualy alal files staraged into album folders - done with iTune last year)?
  • I would like to connect my htpc per gtx 660 HDMI to DAC/essence or OPPO 105D for listening of ripped CD music files direct from my htpc - using of jriver or simmilar solution via PC/and Ipad app (any adivce?!),
  • My target is to buy 24/96-192 music per internet, and per BDP playing of HFPA (newly BDPA) bluray audio disc (http://store.universal-music.co.uk/restofworld/artists/pure-audio/icat/pureaudio). BTW can Oppo 105D play this kind of bluray disc?
  • Output ampf is old one, anallog phillips FA910, any advice to make it easier or better?

Video:
  • I have a lot of diverse films storaged as avi, dxd, mp2, mp4, privat and commercial one, what will be the best way to use Oppo 105d - best connection from PC to Oppo 105d/TV?

Best Regards and Thanks
vienna
post #651 of 1115 Old 07-09-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papak Stari View Post
Hello,
I am the new one who has interest into OPPO 105D, main target audio, but also intereseted for video perfromances,

Audio
  • Can OPPO 105D play ALAC files (m4a) via DLNA or Upnp, or can Jriver play ALAC and OPPO USB DAC convert them to annalog?
  • Which software could lbe use to convert alac to flac, any software solution for automaticaly conversion of 400 cd (actualy alal files staraged into album folders - done with iTune last year)?
  • I would like to connect my htpc per gtx 660 HDMI to DAC/essence or OPPO 105D for listening of ripped CD music files direct from my htpc - using of jriver or simmilar solution via PC/and Ipad app (any adivce?!),
  • My target is to buy 24/96-192 music per internet, and per BDP playing of HFPA (newly BDPA) bluray audio disc (http://store.universal-music.co.uk/restofworld/artists/pure-audio/icat/pureaudio). BTW can Oppo 105D play this kind of bluray disc?
  • Output ampf is old one, anallog phillips FA910, any advice to make it easier or better?

Video:
  • I have a lot of diverse films storaged as avi, dxd, mp2, mp4, privat and commercial one, what will be the best way to use Oppo 105d - best connection from PC to Oppo 105d/TV?

Best Regards and Thanks
vienna
Many of your questions are answered in the FAQ link found at the beginning of the Oppo BDP-103 thread. You can also get information by downloading the owner's manual from oppodigital.com.

post #652 of 1115 Old 07-10-2014, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papak Stari View Post

Video:

Best Regards and Thanks
vienna
From my experience, an ethernet connection (wired) is the best way to get the best audio and video data transfer.
I started using a wifi connection for audio and was having issues (pauses, etc.) particularly with Hi-Def audio files. When I changed to an Ethernet connection I stopped having those problems. Video is data intensive, so needless to say, a wired connection is best. I also suggest that you try to get the fastest speed wired connection that you can.
post #653 of 1115 Old 07-15-2014, 03:23 PM

Lengthy audio delay with Dish

Been using my 105D for about a month and have been unable to solve or mitigate my problem with audio. Have had Dish Hopper DVR for six months and it is their latest version they tell me and it worked fine with the Denon AVR that was replaced with the Oppo. Setup is Dish Hopper via HDMI (the cable that came with the Oppo) to HDMI In on back of Oppo. From HDMI1 Out on Oppo to Elite Kuro 141 monitor, picture is outstanding from both Dish and shiny discs. Oppo analog outs via RCA cables to five channel Parasound amp and a JL sub.

Dish has two audio output choices: first is 5.1/PCM and the audio is very good 5.1 or whatever other audio format the Dish sends out, but there is a 3 to 5 second very annoying delay whenever a channel is changed; second selection is PCM--no significant delay but the audio is clearly not 5.1 and the surrounds put out a very muted audio if any at all. I have read all of this thread and almost 200 pages on the 103 and used search for a solution--no luck. Probably a handshake or I have not set up the system optimally. Hoping for some helpful suggestions. Thanks.
post #654 of 1115 Old 07-15-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totallyconfused View Post
Been using my 105D for about a month and have been unable to solve or mitigate my problem with audio. Have had Dish Hopper DVR for six months and it is their latest version they tell me and it worked fine with the Denon AVR that was replaced with the Oppo. Setup is Dish Hopper via HDMI (the cable that came with the Oppo) to HDMI In on back of Oppo. From HDMI1 Out on Oppo to Elite Kuro 141 monitor, picture is outstanding from both Dish and shiny discs. Oppo analog outs via RCA cables to five channel Parasound amp and a JL sub.

Dish has two audio output choices: first is 5.1/PCM and the audio is very good 5.1 or whatever other audio format the Dish sends out, but there is a 3 to 5 second very annoying delay whenever a channel is changed; second selection is PCM--no significant delay but the audio is clearly not 5.1 and the surrounds put out a very muted audio if any at all. I have read all of this thread and almost 200 pages on the 103 and used search for a solution--no luck. Probably a handshake or I have not set up the system optimally. Hoping for some helpful suggestions. Thanks.
First check the settings in the player so that your bass management is ideal, speakers set to small or large with proper distances,
along with level matching the volume on each speaker with and SPL meter.
That will most likely solve your volume issue with surround speakers.

After that, I am not directly familiar with your Dish STB, but it sounds like the PCM setting is stereo only.
The 5.1 setting is what you want. The handshaking delay you are seeing is pretty normal since when changing channels,
the output resolution and audio codec can be different from channel to channel.
When that happens the player has to recognize and establish a new handshake with the different codecs that are coming from the STB.
Some of that might be circumvented with the settings in the STB, but not 100% sure since I don't have Dish.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #655 of 1115 Old 07-15-2014, 07:34 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ HDMI PCM audio out of cable and satellite TV boxes is, indeed, stereo only. It is intended for cases where you are sending audio direct to a TV which can't handle Bitstream input or multi-channel LCPM input -- i.e., LPCM stereo only, for the TV's built-in stereo speakers.
--Bob

post #656 of 1115 Old 07-15-2014, 07:44 PM
Read the FAQ!

Totallyconfused,
First of all, Welcome to AVS and to this thread!

Every time the HDMI data format changes a new HDMI handshake has to happen to configure the new transmission format. Due to delays built into the handshake (designed to allow devices time to get their act together), the minimum time for this is about 2 seconds. If the handshake has a problem then a "retry" occurs, and retries also take about 2 seconds.

Sounds like you are experience the expected HDMI handshake plus 1 retry.

There's nothing you can to to eliminate the handshake entirely -- for example when the program audio changes between stereo for commercials and 5.1 for the program itself. But you may be able to eliminate the retry.

First, understand that HDMI is an end to end protocol. So settings and cabling all the way from the source device through to the display (for video) and receiver (for audio) are part of the equation. The usual steps to minimize the chance of retries are to improve the quality of the HDMI cabling (all of it -- from end to end) and to "simplify" the HDMI handshake itself by making explicit setting choices in each device instead of AUTO.

So for example, in the OPPO set an explicit choice of Output Resolution (e.g, 1080p) and Color Space (e.g, YCbCr 4:4:4) and audio format (e.g., HDMI Audio LPCM).

Consider each device in the HDMI signal path, and make similar, explicit choices where possible.

The HDMI handshake is controlled by the Source device (the TV set top box in your case). TV set top boxes are notorious for having shoddy HDMI implementations. To do the handshake with the OPPO in the signal path, the Source has to first handshake with the OPPO and then handshake with what's beyond the OPPO by going THROUGH the OPPO. That latter piece -- called repeater processing -- is a common area for TV set top boxes to screw up. I.e., they work better when directly connected to the Display than when something is in between.

You can check the Forum threads here for your particular TV set top box to see if other folks are having similar problems trying to get HDMI handshakes to happen cleanly through an intermediate device like the OPPO.
--Bob
scirica likes this.

post #657 of 1115 Old 07-16-2014, 06:42 AM

Thanks Smarty Pants and Bob, I appreciate your help. I had already done everything suggested except explore the possibility of another forum dealing with Dish Hopper handshakes. Bob's verification that the PCM setting is indeed only stereo helps narrow down the options and rules out that setting on the Hopper. Are there any particular settings on the 105D that impact my situation? Can I rule out all settings on the Oppo that relate to video and the HDMI cable going from the Oppo (HDMI audio out on the Oppo is set to "off") to the monitor? In other words, focus exclusively on the items in the two "audio" groupings in the Oppo menu. Pretty sure none of the audio settings are set to "auto". Thanks again folks, additional suggestions will be appreciated.
post #658 of 1115 Old 07-16-2014, 06:47 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ No, you can't rule out the video settings. The entire handshake (audio and video) needs to complete before muting gets removed. If you are using the Analog audio outputs then setting HDMI Audio OFF in the OPPO is indeed a good step, but also do the steps to simplify the video part of the handshake.
--Bob

post #659 of 1115 Old 07-16-2014, 04:21 PM

Thanks again Bob. Trying to eliminate things to work on. I am using the unbalanced six analog outs on the Oppo to a five channel amp and HDMI Out audio on Oppo is turned off. The Monitor has no speakers, amps, or tuner, strictly a video monitor--so, settings on the monitor as well as the HDMI cable connecting it to the Oppo can be ruled out as the problem or is that a bad assumption. The amp and RCA cables (Blue Jean) can also be ruled out, correct. All that is left are the Oppo and its settings, I have had no problems with the Oppo and will assume it is fine, that leaves the Oppo settings, which I assume is what you are referencing need to be optimized, nothing is set to "auto", and, of course the Dish DVR and its settings which are precious few. Guess I will go back to pulling my hair out, again, precious few. Really do appreciate your help.
post #660 of 1115 Old 07-16-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 276
^^^
I am also using the BDP-105D directly connected to my A51 Amplifier.
My video chain is similar to Totallyconfused:

TiVo Roameo -> 105D HDMI Input-1 -> 105D HDMI Output-1 -> Lumagen Mini -> Panasonic 65ZT60

There is about a 3 second audio mute after a FF, FR, or pause.
The HDMI Audio output setting does not seem to have an effect.
I assumed that this was Lumagen related but I will remove it from the chain and see what I can learn.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15

Last edited by RichB; 07-16-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page